Every night I sit down and say I’m DEFINITELY going to compose a blogroll. For those who don’t know, a blogroll is a list of websites someone likes. Bloggers usually put it in their sidebar.
Good and conscientious bloggers do anyway. I’m a bad blogger.
I have really good intentions. It’s just that snacking, television watching, post writing and photo editing gets in the way every night. And snacking. Sometime I actually have to leave the house in the dark of night to go out and GET snacks. So clearly, my time is limited.
The other thing about a blogroll is, once you put it up, you have to update it. What if your once favourite blog suddenly becomes boring and stupid. Or disappears altogether. What if you have a new favourite blog but don’t have time to add it to your blogroll leaving that blog feeling slighted? What then?!
Admittedly, I’ve given this some thought. I just haven’t done anything about it. Again. Bad blogger.
So, I have for you today a list of the blogs I like to visit. It’s not a bona fide blogroll. It’s just a list of some sites I like. And I’m sure I’m going to miss some sites and thusly make some people feel bad. I apologize in advance.
There are some sites that I visit every day, others I take a peek at every once in a while. In no particular order (don’t want anyone’s feelings hurt) … my BLOGROLL. Which by the way, includes sites that aren’t actually blogs.
1. Centsational Girl Centsational Girl was a lawyer until she quit lawyering to write a design blog. Seriously. She’s been featured in Style at Home, Spanish Glamour and has appeared a couple of times on The Nate Berkus Show. None of which would have happened had she continued lawyering. Do what you love folks and you’ll be a success.
2. Design*Sponge Grace from Design*Sponge was the first person to post my work on her site. She supported me and The Art of Doing Stuff from day one. At the time (a year ago) I knew it was a big deal. I just didn’t know how big a deal. Thanks to Grace and her team. HUGE site, huge heart.
3. The Nester You probably remember The Nester from when I guest posted there last week. She just seems to lead a nice family life. Things are pretty but not “I’m perfect” pretty. It’s a comfortable place to go. Plus she’s funny.
4. This to That This is a site that literally tells you how to glue things together. How to glue this to that. I’m probably the only one that would ever have this site on their blogroll.
5. Remodelista Endlessly inspiring design photos.
6. Pint Sized Pioneering Jenn’s the gal that made me realize you really could have backyard chickens. She’s a locovore. Don’t know what that is? Go to the site and find out. She doesn’t post every day. In fact she hasn’t posted in a month. She’s busy. Blogs take a LOT of time. Deal with it. Her site isn’t filled with ads and flashy crap. She’s a gal with a blog about her chickens, preserves, gardening, cooking and such. It’s a nice site where you truly believe you’re getting a glimpse into this person’s life. I like it.
7. Heather Bullard I only recently discovered Heather Bullard’s site while searching for chicken coops. Actually that’s a lie. Someone posted the link to her site for me on Facebook. Heather is a Senior Editor at Flea Market Style Magazine. I love her flea market style and she’s a great photographer.
8. Foodgawker, Dwellingawker, Craftgawker – This conglomeration of individual sites allows readers to submit the best of food, design and crafts from around the web. As the word “Gawker” implies, it’s all about the pretty. It could be the best recipe in the world, but it doesn’t have a drool worthy photo accompanying it, it won’t make it onto Foodgawker. Conversely it could be a crap recipe, but if it has a great recipe to accompany it, it goes up on the site. Ditto for their other site incarnations like Dwellingawker and Craftgawker.
9. ?????? (this could be you)
10. ?????? (this could be you)
Like I said, this is not an exhaustive list. I’m sure by the time I post this I’ll remember a variety of other sites I should have included for you. But like eating pretzels when you don’t have potato chips … it’s better than nothin’. Chances are I’ll do this again in the future, in which case, I’ll get you next time around.
As I’m sure you noticed, there are spots 9 and 10 available. This is where you come in.
Leave a link to your site in the comments section if you think I or the other readers would like it with a short description of what your site is about. Feel free to link to one of your favourite sites if you don’t have a blog.
Remember to link your site like this: http://www.(yoursitename).com If you forget the http:// people won’t be able to just click on it to go to the site.
Next week I’ll pick the 2 sites I think are the best and link to them in Friday’s post. If any come out as fan favourites in the comments section, I’ll list those as well.
Have a great weekend everyone! Enjoy reading the blogs and wish me luck with thinking about, thinking about planning to think about building a chicken coop.
comments for this post are now closed.