5 Books I’ll Be Cozying Up With This Winter.

Looking for a good book to read?  Me too!  It’s so exciting that we met each other here. This is going to work out just fine.

How’s it goin’ eh?  (I couldn’t resist)

Raise your hand if you like to read! Now take that hand and slap yourself in the butt because that’s the last time you’re going to have any feeling in it for the rest of the winter.  The holidays are over, the house is cleaned up and it’s January.  Put your furry slippers on, the official month of slothing has begun.

MY LATEST VIDEOS

It’s time to revel in the fact that you have no lawn to cut, no garden to weed and no gutters to clean. Unless you’re renovating your house or spending 5 nights a week taking tap dancing lessons, chances are you have time to whump your ass down on the couch and read.

I mean, I can’t do that, I just fall asleep when I try to do that, which is why I only read before I’m going to bed.  But YOU might have the rare talent of being able to open a book on the couch and read more than 3 sentences before waking in a pool of your own spittle.  I do not have that talent.

Over the past few months I’ve made my way through a classic Agatha Christie novel, an adult fairy tale, a slavery novel and did NOT make it through an American classic, American Pastoral by Philip Roth.

Based on the description of American Pastoral, including the fact that it won the Pulitzer Prize, I thought I was going to really like it but within the first few pages I was drowning in a pool of my own spittle and I wasn’t even asleep.  I boredom drooled through the first chapter or so before I abandoned it.  Life’s too short for books you don’t like.

The Agatha Christie classic, And Then There Were None (formerly named something I can’t even type for fear Google will flag my site for racist language and also because … well I just can’t.)  was good, but I wouldn’t call it the greatest mystery of all time.  Which incidentally is what it’s considered. You can click here to read about it’s original title on Wikipedia if you like.

I really liked the slavery novel The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead which also won the Pulitzer Prize.  Unlike the Philip Roth novel, Whitehead pulled me into the story with his extraordinary writing as opposed to pushing me away from it.  Whitehead’s writing seemed effortless, Roth’s seemed like he was doing everything he could to prove to me HE WAS A GOOD WRITER DAMMIT.

And My Mrs. Brown by former Vogue editor and society page columnist William Norwich is a quick, fairytale-esque book about a plain, older woman who decides to save up for a $7,000 dress.  It’s a really easy, silly read but is also enlightening.

So those are a few I’ve gone through recently.  For January (the official month of slothing) I’m going to be cracking open these books. Or at least one of them …

Good Books to Read

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson is a book I’ve been reading on and off for a couple of months. It isn’t a novel so it’s something I feel like I can pick up and put down.  I put it down a LOT, not because it isn’t great but because it’s terrifying.  Not voodoo, horror show terrifying, but HOLY CRAP terrifying.  It’s exactly what it sounds like. A short history of nearly everything, starting with how the universe was formed.  If you ever want to sort of understand how inconceivably vast the universe is and how inconceivably insignificant WE are … read about how the universe was formed.

Benediction by Kent Haruf is one I’ve been holding off on. It’s the third and final book in a series of books by the late author.  I know when I finish it, it will be done.  Haruf’s writing is poetic in the most subtle way.  The first two books in the series are Plainsong and Eventide so look at those two first if you’re thinking of reading the series.  And you should.

Tin Man by Sarah Winman is going to be a complete surprise to me. Someone I follow on Instagram raved about it so I bought it immediately.  I have ZERO idea what it’s about. And I’m going to keep it that way because sometimes it’s fun just to not have a clue.  Unless you’re performing surgery, in which case … that’s just irresponsible.

The Death of Mrs. Westaway  by Ruth Ware is the third novel of hers I’ll have read in the past year.  It’s your basic suspense novel but I like them.  Ruth Ware novels that is, not necessarily suspense novels.  I didn’t like Gone Girl for example and I HATED The Girl on the Train.

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.  I still don’t know if I’ll be able to read this. I bought Kitchen Confidential as a Christmas present for my mother 2 years ago intending to read it after she did.  Before I got to it, Anthony Bourdain committed suicide and I couldn’t bring myself to read it. I, like a lot of people really liked Anthony Bourdain and was hit hard by his suicide. Definitely harder than I should have been considering I’ve never met the man.  For instance, at least once a week I mutter “You f*cking asshole” to him in my head for one reason or another.  It may not be this month, but some time this year I will read this book because more than an interesting character, a good chef or irreverent tv personality – Anthony Bourdain was a truly exceptional writer.

Lay it on me! What are you reading right now? Give everyone the name and a short description of what kind of book it is in the comments and before you know it we’ll all be slothing our way out of winter and into spring.

→Follow me on Instagram where I often make a fool of myself←

1. Sara Brashear says:

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. What if you could live your life over and over until you get it right? This novel is mesmerizing! You’ll want to read it again immediately after you finish it as I’m doing now.

2. Julie says:

Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese. The ending got me. I wanted to write the author but then found out he passed in 2017! Quick read only because I couldn’t put it down.

3. Shawn says:

Anything written by Lisa Scottoline, best selling author! I think the two of you may have been separated at birth! Lol

4. Jessie Gairdner says:

Bought a cheap book at my local grocery store, The Swans of Fifth Avenue. Melanie Benjamin is the author. Story is about 5 New York socialites and their relationship with Truman Capote. Was a very good read for $5. Based on true events as well.

5. Trish says:

One of my favourite Canadian authors is Giles Blunt. His series of books with John Cardinal as the main character are currently on tv titled ” Cardinal”. There are six books in the series, starting with ‘Forty Words for Sorrow’.

• PMMK says:

I love the Cardinal series! Giles Blunt and I were in the same high school English class about 100 years ago. I couldn’t get over my surprise years later when I saw his face plastered on a huge poster in the underground concourse at Yonge and Eglinton subway, an advertisement for the launch of “Forty Words for Sorrow”. I remembered him well because he was always more polite than the average male humanoid hooligans in our school. That means almost all of the other guys. I didn’t even remember him standing out as a writer when we were teens. A boy named Wayne wrote some entertaining and hilarious stories that I did remember. I was envious of Wayne. As a teen I couldn’t even write a grocery list if my life depended on it. I had to read “Forty Words …” several times. First of all because I couldn’t keep myself from imagining our classmates as the characters in the novel, which was very distracting, and then again because it was such a damned good read.

6. Beth Nosworthy says:

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine!!!! Wonderful book. Also A Gentleman in Moscow.

7. Jill F says:

When our book club read American Pastoral, the girl wo picked it walked in and threw it across the room! We all breathed a sigh of relief because we all hated it and most of us didn’t finish it! I’m glad you weren’t gushing over it, either!

8. Teri on the left coast says:

By the way Karen, love the sweater. I’m old enough to remember the sturm und drang over the new flag with the maple leaf. Now it makes me happy to see it.

9. Kristin Ferguson says:

My favorite recent books were Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand, the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and (in an entirely different vein), Where’d You Go Bernadette? which I loved to bits. I have also been systematically rereading all the Agatha Christies, which I haven’t read since I was in my teens. I love the cozy peep into British everyday life in 1930-1940’s (I’m going chronologically and this is as far as I’ve come so far.) Although man, the casual racism! Cultural relativism and all that but, c’mon Agatha!
    I’m also gonna read Bill Bryson’s One Summer. I love his writing so much. No one makes me laugh like Bill Bryson. Except maybe David Sedaris. I highly recommend Bryson’s Neither Here Nor There and I’m a Stranger Here Myself. Both so funny!
    My sister gave me The Tuscan Child and another book whose title I can’t recall at this moment about a church choir in England during WWII.
    I also have been loving a new book written by the producers of my favorite podcast, The Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe, which is a general scientific look at how our brains play tricks on us and contribute to the conspiracies, silly beliefs and Virgin Mary tortillas, etc.
    writing this, I realize I have a lot to read. There are at least seven more books I haven’t mentioned sitting in my shelf waiting for me! I’d better get cracking.

10. Donna Hargrove says:

Okay now I’ve got several more to add to my list! I just finished educated by Tara Westover – great read and very moving. The Outlander series are by far my favourite reads EVER, but set aside about 5 years to get through the 8 or 9 giant books!
    The Art of Racing in the Rain is an excellent read as well.

I have one of Bill Bryson’s books ‘Home’ which is the history of just that – how homes came to be what they are today. I haven’t made it through yet, but the first few chapters are intriguing.

Now I’m off to find my next book …

11. Julia says:

Educated, by Tara Westover. Fabulous writer with a truly exceptional, pretty terrifying true life story. Don’t want to put it down at night even when bone-tired. Highly recommend!! Happy reading everyone!

12. Becky says:

I did the same with Benediction–I wanted to read it but I didn’t want to finish the last of Kent Haruf’s books–it was very good.

The best books I have read lately were The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah, Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng and The Bright Hour by Nina Riggs.

I’m adding Tin Man to my list of books to read–it didn’t have a negative review that I could see on good reads.

13. JodyG says:

Thank you, everyone, for your book reading suggestions. To me they are priceless. I am reading “A Short History of Everything” since you, Karen, mentioned it in one of your earlier posts. Actually I am reading some of it and slogging through some of it. Anthony Bourdain broke my heart, also.

14. Heather says:

I am participating in the Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/) challenge, “Around the Year in 52 books” where you read a book a week based on a pre-determined topic. It’s my second year & last year I got about 20% through. So far this January I have read: Shipping News, When Breath Becomes Air, That’s My Baby and Shakespeare Saved My Life. I am currently reading The Kind Worth Killing. This year I plotted out all 52 books so maybe I can make it all the way through.

Karen, I think you would enjoy Goodreads. It’s a great way to keep track of what you read & what you want to read. You could probably set up a challenge for your readers.

I wonder if Anthony Bourdain had any inkling of what he meant to soooo many people. I think of him all the time.

• Ann Brookens says:

I’m doing the Goodreads Reading Challenge for the fourth time, where one sets the goal of how many books to plan to read in a years time. My goal is 200, which I have overshot by several each year. As you may surmise, the stuff the I “do” is READ!

15. Jane C. says:

I have two shelves full of books to read, but am knitting instead this winter. Once I’m finished an afghan and a pair of mittens, I’ll get to the books.
    “My Mrs. Brown” sounds like Mrs. ‘Arris Goes to Paris, a book I read decades ago.
    I hated Gone Girl – didn’t finish, but made it through Girl on a Train.

16. Robin L Christensen says:

Love this post! Don’t have time to read the comments to pick up more great tips, but will come back! Just finished Kingdom of the Blind by Louise Penney – about the 8th in series about Armand Gamache set in Canada. Great characters.
    Another great series for light, but funny reading – Chet & Bernie mysteries – Chet is the narrator – and he’s a dog.
    Favorite Barbara Kingsolver book – Prodigal Summer
    Favorite all time book – A Thousand Splendid Suns

17. Noreen McKechnie says:

I worked in high school libraries for years and read a lot of really good young fiction. However here are some names that I have read everything they have written. Amy McKay, Richard Wagamese, Linden MacIntyre, Joseph Boyden, Wayne Johnston. A couple of interesting single books A History of Canada in Ten Maps, Testimony, by Robbie Robertson, Beautiful Scars by Tom Wilson, The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro. I could go on for pages as I truly love a great numbers of Canadian writers but that could do for now!

18. Lynn Johanson says:

The Girl Who Drank the Moon
    By Kelly Barnhill
    It won the 2017 Newbery
    It’s a beautifully crafted fairytale that had me reading out loud for the word flow. Yes, it’s for 5th grade and up but, oh my, what a gift. It’s also 400pgs. So many hours of joy!

19. Shelagh Ryan says:

I ve been a voracious reader since I was a pre teen and of course over the years my favourites have changed a bit.
    Always read for escapism and entertainment, and had practical parents who also loved books and were huge supporters of public libraries. You could not offer me a better rainy Saturday afternoon than a trip to the library.
    Elizabeth Goudge ” A Little White Horse” and ” The Ship That Flew” by somebody Lewis discovered only because the library didn’t have the next book in the Narnia series by C.S.Lewis.
    Never saw what everyone made a fuss about in Agatha Christies books but pretty much read them all.
    Then discovered D.H.Lawrence and Thomas Hardy, George Elliot, the Bronte sisters and Jane Austen.
    Books poems and plays for school had the usual Shakespeare, Romantic poets, American authors and a few Canadians. “The Edible Woman” and “The Handmaids Tale” by Margaret Atwood was a university favourite along with Ayn Rand. I never saw my parents concerned about any of my reading choices until they saw me reading Atlas Shrugged.
    Enjoyed the required readings for school but never picked up Chaucer for fun.
    I was introduced to Gothic novels in uni and was morbidly and almost reluctantly fascinated by the darkness of them.
    Then turned back to reading for escape and devoured all of Tolkien over a summmer break. Too much science in Asimov but found Charles de Lint who wrote interesting mysteries set in my home town, Ottawa. I recently had the pleasure of meeting him in person and he has a music CD out which I promptly bought. Enjoyed it tremendously.
    My 20’s were filled with being single, working professionally, and enjoying life….do not remember reading anything of much significance….murder mysteries that I could pick up and put down again. Had my kids between 30-40…. much the same…sleep deprivation requires a pretty simple plot line. Dick Francis and all his horse world mysteries, the occasional romance novel.
    40-50 raising kids, working, volunteering in kids activities, Nordic skiing, Girl Guides, soccer….etc. That’s when I discovered the Outlander series. Had already read a different historical series about a fellow called Francis Lymond…..can’t remember the author…titles in that series were “Game of Kings”, “Queens Play”, “Pawn in Frankinscence”
    Now in my 60’s I read downloads from the library onto my iPad. So much easier on arthritic hands. ….and….No more overdue fees! Still reading murder mysteries, thrillers, non fiction for the first time in my life! The non textbook kind that is meant to educate but also entertain….”Mother Nature is Trying to Kill You” is downright scary!
    Can’t remember the title but it described a year in the life of a fellow who made a drunken bet with his mate that he could hitch hike around Ireland with a fridge in less than 12 months….absolutely loved it!
    The mysteries I read are now more character based…a series where the hero/ heroine has experiences that affect them and how they grow along the way. Miss Marple and Poirot never evolved.

20. Vikki says:

In times of stress, I always escape to the old English authors like Agatha Christie or, my favorite, Margery Allingham. I haven’t read Amy Tan in a while but liked her books. An interesting, but well-done take on the same ol’ Sherlock Holmes are the ones by Laurie King. I stay away from the serial killer/stalker/gory murders–if I want that, I just watch the news.

21. Alena says:

I found out long time ago that I cannot finish a single book by Philip Roth. He bores me to death.

I also no longer read Ruth Ware. I think I read 3 of her books, all of which were grossly overrated and STUPID. One review said that if you read this book you won’t be able to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night because you will be too scared. I had to laugh at that.
    Not worth the time. Her books are about the same thrill as unwrapping a brick of butter and finding out it’s …. butter.

22. Bambi Mayer says:

I just finished How to Change You Mind by Michael Pollan and am now reading The Acid Diaries by Christopher Gray, both excellent books. Who knew that psychedelics are probably the best tool for fixing this messed out world or are at least the best way to our own messed up brains.

23. Sabina says:

As a follower of the Amazon Prime series The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I picked up Lenny Bruce’s autobiography, How to Talk Dirty and Influence People as a souvenir on a recent visit to the new National Comedy Center in Jamestown, NY. Published in 1965, the year I was born, I found Chapter Ten very intriguing. His monologue about drugs and alcohol are profoundly on point still today.

I am Sicilian and admittedly obsessed with The Godfather. So after finally reading the original I went on a mission to read all things Mario Puzo, including those authored by other authors with the permission of his estate. I have read The Sicilian, The Family Corleone, and The Fortunate Pilgrim. I just picked up The Godfather Returns at my local thrift store. The font on the Godfather books is unmistakable and I get a rush when I see it on a shelf and it’s something I haven’t read…is there a help group for this?

And the seed catalogs are starting to arrive…so there’s that…

24. Holly C says:

I recommend The Rent Collector by Cameron Wright. A story about Cambodia and living in a dump during troubled times. Sounds depressing, but it is not completely. You can cook Pho and eat it while you read. Books, like recipes, restaurants, travel destinations—can be subjective.

25. Jean says:

I strongly recommend Wayne Grady’s “Emancipation Day” and his subsequent
    (and only second ) novel, ” Up From Freedom” . Already a much respected non- fiction writer on scientific subjects, he wrote his first novel after learning in mid-life of his black slave ancestors. His very light skinned father, who had to know his background, died without acknowledging it.
    When Wayne Grady came to speak about “Emancipation Day ” at the Owen Sound Library a couple of years ago he shared his years long struggle to write this story as a memoir, or biography, lacking factual family history and eventually being persuaded to present it as a “novel ”
    An excellent Canadian writer – a fascinating , partly Canadian story.

26. Lisa says:

Cutting for Stone…by Abraham Verghese
    Bel Canto..by Ann Patchett
    Life of PI…by Yann Martel
    Anything by Sherman Alexie
    Anything by Annie Proulx

27. Librarian Nancy says:

I just finished My Dear Hamilton by Stephanie Dray, a long but terrific book about Alexander Hamilton’s wife, Eliza Schuyler Hamilton. Currently reading The House of Special Purpose by John Boyne – LOVE John Boyne! – a historical novel about the Russian Imperial court (I’m on a Russian book kick lately).

I’m going to Las Vegas next week for a friend’s retirement party and on my reading list for the week is Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain (yes, I’ve been meaning to read this too); The Girl in the Green Silk Gown by Seanan McGuire (urban fantasy); Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone (suspense); and An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good by Helene Tursten (three novellas about a not-too-nice senior).

28. Elaine A. Senft says:

this is wild…some kind of literature to get you absorbed. I was thinking, the Agatha Christie novel,” And then there were none” is superb. But being cheeky, thought this title describes the American Gov”t guffaw to a tee….

29. Meredith Fairbanks says:

Boys in the Boat is the BEST book I have read in forever. It is a nonfiction history about the men’s rowing team that won the Olympics back in (I think) 1936 in Berlin. So, so good and so engrossing that I was yelling at characters while listening to the audio!

Also, if you ever want an unusual, fun series, check out the Flavia de Luce mysteries. They are unusual, not what you think, funny, sad, and everything in between.

30. Chris C says:

Just read “Before We Were Yours”-Lisa Wingate-a fictionalized account about the Tennessee orphans during the Depression.
    “Moloka’i”-Alan Brennart-fictionalized account of the leper colony on Hawaii
    Both excellent reads.

31. Jane says:

I work at a Mobile Crisis service for suicide counselling, and I’m still angry at Antony Bourdain. And that his lovely friend had to find him.

32. Susan Warder says:

I am binge listening to Inspector Gamache / Three Pines mysteries by Louise Penny. They’d been recommended to me in trade for my recommendation of the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. Both quite engaging and multi-faceted.

33. Jacquie says:

“Life is too short for books you don’t like”. SO true. Why slog your way through a book when there are so many you’ll never have time to read in your lifetime?

Life is also too short to wash your own car.

34. Susan Lawson says:

Robert McFarlane and his books on walking in nature. A lyric, almost poetic writer who fascinates with a combination of facts and word pictures that draw you into his landscape with uncanny accuracy. Both moving and uplifting. Recommend The Old Ways and The Wild Places.

35. PMMK says:

I’m working on a Horticulture Diploma at UoG so, although there are some juicy who dunnits sitting on my Kindle, I thought it best to keep it at least botanical so, instead of studying, I’m reading TulipoMania: The Story of the World’s Most Coveted Flower and the Extraordinary Passions It Aroused, by Mike Dash. I thought it would be about as interesting as dust but I was waaaay wrong. Again. I’m learning about a lot more than tulips; some weird and crazy history about people and nations too. Not a riveting page turner but interesting tout de même.

36. Dana says:

I’m a librarian 4 hours a month at our tiny local library filled with amazing books, so I’ve just finished a huge stack over the holidays. I enjoyed A Truly Remarkable Thing by Hank Green. it’s a little bit sci-fi, but the plot was captivating. I also liked Dear Mrs Bird for the snapshot of life in WWII London.
    Currently reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins. It’s pretty gloomy.
    In the tbr pile:
    The Plus One by Sophia Money-Coutts I don’t know what it’s about, but looks like a cheery book to counter Into the Water.
    The Marrow Thieves by Cheri Dimaline
    The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena
    Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

What I am not planning to read is this month’s book club choice, 12 Rules for Life. I’ve read some reviews and it mostly looks like it’s not how I want to spend my reading time.

I picked up Dear Mrs Bird but put it back down again because it felt too … I can’t remember. Something, lol. I think I just wasn’t in the mood so I’ve shelved it for trying again at another time. ~ karen!

37. NinaMargo says:

Two very-different life-saving recommendations (go figure…):

The Only Street in Paris: Life on the Rue des Martyrs by Elaine Sciolino. A beautifully written historical-cultural-social exploration of a single 1/2 mile long street in this wonderful city. I walked every step with her last month during my cat-sitting gig!

And: The Recovering: Intoxication And Its Aftermath by Leslie Jamison. “A strangely exhilarating book about recovery, but it is more resonantly about desire, consciousness, kindness, self control and love – hence a Tolstoyan study of the human condition.” An important book if you think you have a problem or think you might want to help someone who does.

38. SF says:

My parents had an old hardback copy of the Agatha Christie book, with the original title, displayed on a shelf in their house. A little shocked, I said “you can’t have that on the shelf in your house where people can see it!!!” Thinking of it more as a timepiece than an offense, I think they moved it to a less visible but still visible area. Oof.

“Thinking of it more as a timepiece than an offense”, I could see that. I couldn’t do it, lol, but I can see the logic. Like having Nazi memorabilia as a constant reminder of the horror and how far we have (or haven’t???) come. But still. Couldn’t do it! ` karen!

39. Idaho Girl says:

Love all the great book ideas – thanks to everyone for sharing. In good weather I’m usually in the yard and garden, so I also read more during these cold months. I love history, and read to relax and escape, so I won’t usually read anything suspenseful or deep. My favorites are usually historical fiction, with my all time favorite author (for several years) being Diana Gabaldon, who wrote the book series that became Outlander. Anyone who likes history, romance, and a little time travel thrown in should start with Outlander and read the entire series. I’ve reread them all more than once.
    And since you brought it up, I was in my high school senior class play 40 years ago, and it was that which is now known as “And Then There Were None”…

40. Leslie Barnard says:

I read 11-22-63 by Stephen King and loved it!
    I also read The Woman in Cabin 10 (Ruth Ware)- good story but with ridiculously tired dialogue.

41. Leslie Barnard says:

Gone Girl and Girl on the Train were written by Gillian Flynn I believe. I read her novel, Sharp Objects (now a series with Reese Witherspoon?) and really liked it!

42. Avril says:

Jeffrey Archer – 6 books in the series
    Only Time Will Tell
    The Sins of the Father
    Best Kept Secret
    Be Careful What You Wish For
    Mightier Than The Sword
    Cometh The Hour
    Riveting and many twists to the ongoing family story. I have the last 2 yet to read.

Currently reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Exceptional read! Story of a boy who loses his mother, then goes to live with his father, and everything that happens to him along the way. The next page is always a surprise!

43. Amanda says:

Leslie Crewe is an author from Cape Breton. Her books are funny. Her latest, Beholden, is a good, finish it in two days, kinda book.

44. Tina W says:

I found the Death of Mrs Westaway to be boring and rather too ridiculous. I absolutely loved Meet Me at the Museum (Youngson) (a book of letters sent between a married woman and a widowed man who works at a museum – that makes it sound boring but it’s fabulous). The Lewis Man trilogy (Peter May) is definitely worth reading also, if you want a good mystery series. Transcription (Kate Atkinson) was very fun to read.

45. Sherry (BTLover2) says:

Karen,

You know these book posts are one of my favorites (oh, you didn’t? Now you do).

First, I can relate to your feelings about Anthony Bourdain. I felt that way about Prince. Was shattered by his passing and it bothered me far more than it should I think. But I will say this: when you are ready, please read Kitchen Confidential. It’s an excellent read. He was brilliant (as you know) and just “real.”

My wish list is now much longer thanks to your suggestions and the comments of others. Yay! But now I need a day to be 48 hours.

I’m never one to recommend books, though I read a lot of them. Fear of disappointing someone I guess. Nothing worse than being told someone hated a book you truly enjoyed. No thanks. But I’ll come here whenever I need to add to my stash.

Oh come on. Be BRAVE! What’s your favourite book? That’s why I like it when someone also includes other books that they’ve liked because it gives you an idea if that person has the same general taste as you. ~ k!

46. Dawn-Marie says:

I just finished The Clockmakers Daughter by Kate Morton-it’s fantastic!

47. Sue says:

“Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens. LOVED it, best book I have read for a long time and so well written!

48. Sandy says:

I can’t help but to add another author whose work I especially enjoy when I’m looking for a pleasant escape from reality — Sarah Addison Allen (of North Carolina) has written at least six novels and a short story or two, so if you enjoy “magic realism” I would suggest starting with her first book and go from there.

Garden Spells (2007)
    The Sugar Queen (2008)
    The Girl Who Chased the Moon (2010)
    The Peach Keeper (2011)
    Lost Lake (2014)
    First Frost (2015)

Here’s a link if anyone wants to read a little more about this author.

49. Wendy Heath says:

I too thought on and off for weeks after Anthony took himself off for reasons only he knew .. fuck! fucking shithead! I miss you! Why!
    Well, I know those mental expletives were generated from a selfish desire to want more from him. So, you know, selfish selfish selfish on my part.
    However. I have read Kitchen Confidential twice all the way through and long years before he offed himself. Not counting all the many times I reread paragraphs and while going through the book and even rereading entire chapters because I couldn’t get enough of his amazing energy and whip-smart observations. Not to mention the frequently occurring hilarity to the maximonium (my invented word).
    So Karen .. you must read it! Put aside your grief and anger, let go of your selfish desire to have him still and just go for it. You will experience a poignancy upon first reading that I did not experience and I, for one, am definitely going to read it again. To get to the poignancy.