Christmas House Tour 2014.
The Outside.

Have a look here for my Christmas House Tour Inside.

Christmas is a time for giving.  We all know that.  It’s also, of course,  a time for receiving.  I myself have already received 2 burns, multiple scratches and a paper cut that is completely unimpressive for the amount of pain it is giving me.  At least with a real gash or compound fracture you have something to show off. HEY look at this.  Look at the bone sticking through my skin.  It really hurts!  That’s the kind of thing that gets you sympathy, or if you’re really lucky gagging from whoever you’re showing it off too.

At best a paper cut gets a sideways glance and maybe a nodding of the head in acknowledgement.

Here is a list of the injuries and/or indignities I endured while putting up my outdoor Christmas decorations this year.

1.  Cut the tip of my finger in a cedar pruning miscalculation.

2.  Smashed my knee on a cast iron planter jumping down from the table my pizza oven sits on.  It was the kind of pain where you immediately throw up in your throat then run inside to roll around on the ground.

3.  My tripod fell apart in my hands.  My brand new $300 tripod.  Yup.  The leg fell right off of it.

4.  Decided to change all my outdoor lights from multi coloured to white.  Decided since all the lights worked that would be a waste of money and I’d wait until a year they started acting up.  Hung all the outdoor lights.  They all acted up. Spent gross amount of time hanging out of windows and standing on railings wiggling bulb after bulb.

5.  Cursed out loud at the lights acting up while a small child walked past.  Small child looked at me alarmed.  Pretended it was my hydrangea bush that was swearing.  Stupid bush. Hydrangeas are well known for their short tempers.

6.  Jumped off of porch railing after fixing lights in super-cool style only to land partly on porch swing and half wiping out and half keep myself upright.  Because I’m super-cool. As all the neighbours observed.

Like with the inside, I simplified the outside.  Fewer lights, fewer accessories and more cedar.

Please enjoy the efforts of my embarrassment.

porch-chairs

potted-tree

me-shooting

Yes. That is indeed me in the middle of a blinding snowstorm (a few flurries) taking pictures outside. That was another thing I endured.  Frozen hands. Which are nearly as annoying as the song.

potted-tree-and-logs

swing

potting-shed

The best accessory for anyone around Christmastime is snow.  And piles and piles of wood.

corner-of-back

shed-and-wood-in-winter

wood-and-wreaths

back-door

Having an enormous amount of wood I took a bunch of pieces and fitted them into my square planters.  All I had to do was add a few boughs of cedar and the planters look holiday perfect.  Once I set them on fire they’ll be even more eye grabbing.

christmas-planters

I tried to coax the chickens out for a shot but they refused.  I’m being polite. They did more than refuse, they squatted down, did a big poo, and then laughed at my paper cut.

Have a great weekend.

signature2

[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”5342563″]

1. Haley says:

Your house is so beautiful! The snow is the perfect touch, good thinking. 😉

Do you know the paint color on your wall by the back door? Our brick is very similar and I love the brick, wall color and black accents on your house. Classic.

2. Sharman says:

With all this talk of hot buttered rum I’m wondering if you have a secret recipe for it. Oops, I forgot you don’t drink but maybe you or Betty have heard of a dependable recipe.

Hi Sharman – If you go back a couple of posts you’ll find the recipe. 😉 I posted it last Wednesday I think. ~ karen!

• Sharman says:

Uh oh! Forgive me for not reading the prior posts ….. it’s been a trying week for me taking care of a husband who just had back surgery. As soon as possible I will be concocting one of those delicious sounding libations …. and damn the calories! Thanks!

3. Jasmine says:

Karen, your house looks very festive, welcoming and tastefully decorated. Thanks for showing off. Here’s a question for you-when do you take it down? I do my decorating early in December so that I can take it down right after Christmas. I have been known to furtively pack a few things up on Boxing Day, but the rest of the family gets irritated by this (???) so I try and wait until the 27th or 28th AT THE LATEST. I like to start the new year with a sparkling clean house with no crap laying around. This year we left to head to AZ and won’t be back until after New Year’s so it’s all waiting for me. I can’t help but feel it’s bad karma. I hope the whole year isn’t ruined now.

Thanks Jasmine! Not to worry. I, personally, don’t take everything down until January 1st because I like the house to still feel like it’s in “holiday” mode on New Year’s Eve. On the first it all goes away and the house is a clean slate for the upcoming year. Also leaving the decorations up from Christmas to New Years gives me the feeling that it’s still vacation/holiday time and I like that. 🙂 ~ karen!

4. Dominic says:

I’d really like to see your house/yard from across the street. Not so I can drive to Canananananada & stalk you, but to figure out how you do it. Your space seems HUGE, but I realize it’s not that big. I love the ideas, but I can’t figure out how you do it. Of course, I have 6 acres south of Buffalo, so I can just toss stuff out in the yard & call it done.

What do you mean how I do it? Physically? Mentally? Or where the hell I put everything when it isn’t in use, lol? ~ karen!

5. Dominic says:

A little bit of all three…