Coop Cam

[pinit]

Welcome to the Coop Cam!

If you're asked to login, simply type guest (all lowercase), then leave the password area blank

If you're viewing this on a mobile phone or tablet make sure you're viewing in standard mode, not mobile.

The coop cam is open for business from 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. E.S.T.

[pinit]

1. Debbie says:

Way better today. Yesterday just chicken butts. Today I got a an orange nailed egg thief and a chicken who looked like it may have been a bit rude in the egg snatching. Lots of chicken eye balls. This is so cool.

2. Debbie says:

Hey, you look way to clean in your white sweater to be working on the kitchen. Maybe having a fun day?

3. Linda says:

HA! had a chicken posing for the camera a couple of times…too funny! I refreshed the browser, now I’ve lost the whole thing! It shows a broken icon now 🙁

4. Amy says:

Help! How do I tell the girls apart? Can they wear name tags?

5. Nancy Blue Moon says:

Looking great today Karen..I just got on to see them again..Our Verizon phone and internet has been down since the middle of the night..a whole big area here..everything computerized in town and out here for many miles was down..

• Nancy Blue Moon says:

And thanks for the schedule..makes it much easier to check in to see things like laying eggs..Your ladies are so cool!!

6. rktrixy says:

Yummy, yummy cauliflower!! Those are some spoiled chicks!

7. Kim says:

Why do I feel like a pervert? lol

8. Linda S says:

How can we tell when they are getting sleepy? Will they yawn and rub their little eyes?

Oh. Don’t worry about that. You’ll hear me yell .. “10 more minutes girls …!” ~ karen

9. Spike says:

Finally saw the chickens! So much fun. I love the Coop Cam! I have been checking but I am in Japan and with the time difference I kept missing them. But today I saw them for a few minutes before they went in. Yay!

Spike – If you can keep checking in for the next hour or so you can see them going up to bed and to sleep. They’re very, very cute sleeping. ~ karen!

10. chris says:

They’re getting settled… it apparently takes a while

11. gloria says:

Is that a 1×2 they are roosting on? They have some pretty strong toes to balance like that all night. Especially since they are some busty girls up front and mighty plump in the back. How do they do that!?

Hi Gloria – It’s a 2×4. It’s a good size to ensure their toes are tucked in. That’s important in the winter so they don’t get frostbite on them. ~ karen!

• gloria says:

Still, it’s a pretty good bit of acrobatics to stay put all night while balancing both ends. Maybe your next DIY could be knitting bedtime chicken booties for the girls. To keep their toesies warm.

12. Linda S says:

Wow, I just got to see the camera switch to night-time mode, and I’m afraid it startled the girls. They were like, “Sweet Mother of Coyote Stew…What was that noise”?? Thankfully they seem to have settled down again. Nite girls, Nite JohnBoy.

13. Toronto Boy says:

Holy moly! It’s 1:30 a.m. and I decided to log on and see if the chicks were asleep. Well, after a few minutes they all woke up and instinctively stared at the camera! It looks like something startled them!

Hey, little chickies! I didn’t pass wind and startle you! I think it might have been Karen! Hehehe!

14. Kat says:

It is 12:50 A.M. and thought I would take a peek and as soon as I logged on they all got startled all eyes opened the one closest to the cam stood up then they all settled back down and closed there eyes. Damn if I didn’t want to touch my computer mouse in case I startled them LOL! This is just way too fun!

15. Mary Werner says:

Tell Way Lay they ROCK!

16. Kipley Herr says:

I’m glad to see your chicken’s butts have poo dreadlocks too.

17. Angela says:

Kinda hard to think about eating chicken when I see them in your lap. I guess even chickens feel love…

18. Katrina says:

Have you considered Ustream? I used to keep a camera on my dog’s kennel when he was a puppy and it was free, live, and had sound. I don’t know if you can embed the free version on your page, but I know you can set up a channel homepage.

Hi Katrina – Yes, I explain in Coop Cam “Day 1” why UStream isn’t possible for what I’m doing here. ~ karen!

19. Rebecca P says:

This is making me want chickens!! It runs slow for me, so it’s more like flipping through a photo album, but I still love to check and see what they’re doing! What a great idea!

20. Nancy Blue Moon says:

Thanks for entertaining us ladies..I love the way that when they reach down to peck at something..their butts go straight up in the air..I’ll be back at 1:00..

21. Jenn says:

Got a glimpse of your gold slippers. Gold slippers for chicken duty. You do everything with style, don’t you?

😀

22. Natika33 says:

Omigod I can see the chickens!!!! This is amazing! It’s daylight there and midnight here and yet I can see them!!!! *\(^-^)/*

23. Maryanne says:

Awesome! Karen, exactly how do you do everything you do!(3 do’s, do do do) Really…do you not sleep? Are you a life form from another planet who has secret powers???
    You amaze me, you ROCK! I wish you were my neighbor!

24. Debbie says:

I am hooked too. Last night Pacific coast time at about midnight I checked in on the girls. So cute, even better than babies (no diapers). They were doing there small weaving back and forth sleeping then out of no where one eye would open and peak at the camera and close again. I need to find room for a coop………………………..

25. Shauna says:

I want a coop cam for my chickens. But, I probably wouldn’t get any work done.

26. gloria says:

Uh-oh. I’m putting off doing things that need to be done in order to watch compost time. This is not good.

27. Allestra says:

Love the coop cam!! i’m logged in watching the ladies scratch about from New Zealand! haha so cool to see them in action!

28. Bonnie says:

Funny! I was watching a chicken’s butt. And, it was entertaining–much better than what is on TV.

29. stephbo93 says:

It’s absolutely ridiculous how much I’m enjoying watching them. This would be a great addition to your site on a reuglar basis.

• Toronto Boy says:

I have to agree! It’s quite interesting to see our fine feathery friends pass the day! 10:35 p.m. and they are still bustling about in their chicken coop! Right now two of them are staring at the camera! Maybe they wanna play a staring game! Hey chickens, I bet that you’ll blink first!

30. Barbie says:

OK…sleeping chickens ARE kinda cute!

31. Kat says:

12:50 A.M. again Alberta time and much to my relief they were not startled this time.

32. Dagmar says:

Hi Karen,
    I was out of town yesterday, and didn’t have my internet in the car, or maybe I did, but I was busy…well…driving mostly. But this morning I took a chance, and realized that you have made my life even *better’*. I can watch the coop from my iPad. How fantastic.

33. Mary Kay says:

Hi Karen – what is it that you have keeping the bottom of the coop door open? I can’t tell what it is – looks like some blackish gray chicken warrior statue?

Hi Mary Kay – It’s a rooster sculpture made out of metal … shards almost. It’s all thin, flexible metal pieces. A friend gave it to me when I finished the coop. I love it! ~ karen

• Mary Kay says:

It is really cool – what a wonderful coop warming gift!

• Jenn says:

Thankyou. I was wondering at first why that chicken didn’t move. … and then what the heck it was… Mystery solved!

34. Becca says:

Frightenly addictive. My coffee got cold because I couldn’t tear myself away from the monitor to go get it. In my own defence, it’s not everyday that you get a view of four fluffy chicken butts.

35. Laura Bee says:

Pretty egg & love the little pet you gave her. This is how eggs should be made. I really need to stop buying store eggs. Trying to remember where I’ve seen an “EGGS” sign around here.

36. Linda S says:

Yippee…I saw the egg laying in the nest, and then saw Karen come to retrieve it and show it off. Beautiful! I tried to do a hi-five, but you had an egg in your hand! Maybe next time.

37. Barbie says:

OHHHH! POOP! I guess I missed the egg! DANG!

38. beth says:

okay gotta ask.. one of my clients has 6 hens, they dig all the time and make quite a bit of poop…what do you do with yours! bock balk…

I keep my chickens in a restricted area. It’s their own private run away from all of my plants and planters. It’s filled with straw. I compost the straw and all the poop in it once a month. Takes about a month in the summertime for it to turn into compost if I’m good about turning the compost pile every 2nd day. ~ karen!

39. Kim says:

Ok, I FINALLY logged on to see what the fuss is about. I’ll admit that the they are pretty cute sleeping…for about 5 seconds. Maybe 10. I am glad, however, that many of your readers are thrilled with this. I guess I am just not a chicken gal (gasp, the horror!). On a different note, I was sorry to read that you had a horrible night last week. I hope that things have gotten better for you and that your stay-cation from your blog (you know, the one where you’re not blogging but you’ve posted something every single day!) has been, if not relaxing, then at least refreshing and re-energizing. All the best!

40. Who’d have thought that watching chickens (and reading comments on watching chickens) could be so entertaining? Your secret is out Karen, you took a week off to knit booties so the chicks don’t get frostbite!
    Are the chickens getting a share of the advertising for this week?!

41. Darlene says:

Does that mean we are stuck looking at this piece of wood all day?? 🙁

42. Shae says:

Oh they are so cute when they are waking up for the morning! I had to look twice as one had its head tucked around and it did look quite headless at the time! Fantastic – now I know what to do when I want to procrastinate the day away!

43. kathie says:

I guess it’s too pretty a day to be all cooped up! Oh well, I did see them sleeping last night so I did get a peek.

44. Karen says:

Ohhh – scared me!! You and the chickens just changed to vines!! I’m going to miss all of you!!

45. Jenn says:

There is always http://hencam.com/ for your chicken viewing pleasure!

Bonus: goats!

46. Debbie says:

I am going to miss checking in on your babies. I guess I will have to push harder to get my own. I loved watching them sleep, such cuties.

47. Stacey says:

Okay — I’m really jealous that everyone else can see this — I have tried everything I know, and it the coop cam just won’t appear. Is is because I have an Mac?????

Confused Gadfly

Hi Gadfly – The Coop Cam is now officially down for the week. 🙁 Sorry. I had to unplug it at some point so I unplugged the camera before they went to bed. Most everyone could see the camera when it was up and running. I myself work on a Mac, so I don’t think that was the issue so much as the camera is no longer plugged in. 🙂 ~ karen!

48. Stacey says:

Karen – that is so kind of you to explain, and it figures that I missed out on the fun. I waited too long! Thanx for letting me know! I absolutely love your posts and look forward to seeing them in my inbox —
    Gratefully,

gadfly

49. Linda S says:

Karen, I have to say that I was tickled at the amount of activity I was able to view via the coop-cam. I was able to see your retrieval of two eggs, saw the girls sleeping, saw you doing a brief cuddle with one of hens, saw you turning over the compost that one day, and saw you getting some fresh straw today. Sounds like I was glued to my monitor, but not the case at all. Thanks for the glimpse into your world, I know it took a lot of work.

50. Bobbi says:

Waaahhh….due to my work schedule this week, I was only able to see them sleeping, and I thought that this morning I would see some action. Oh, well, maybe next time.