Coop Cam

[pinit]

Welcome to the Coop Cam!

If you're asked to login, simply type guest (all lowercase), then leave the password area blank

If you're viewing this on a mobile phone or tablet make sure you're viewing in standard mode, not mobile.

The coop cam is open for business from 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. E.S.T.

[pinit]

1. Janet says:

Don’t know why nothing comes up..not even a login….I want to see the chickens!!!!!!

Janet – Sorry! The Coop Cam is down until further notice. It was just up special for the week. (there’s a notice at the beginning of the Coop Cam page) ~ karen!

2. Janet says:

Thanks Karen…then how about some chicken line drawings like the ones of you checking the radiant flooring?? Lol

3. Awww, good to see you back, or at least your chicks!
    We could all click on your advertisers to pay for the monthly collection! Chickens are so entertaining!

4. LuAnn Agustin says:

oooh! chickens (:
    Missed ya and K as well.

5. Judy in NC says:

Such fun! Thanks for sharing, Karen! We seem to have had a male guinea hen show up and take over our yard this week. Considering taking the gardening tools out of the chicken coop to let him see what he thinks. He’s been having a ball with the tick and mosquito population following all our rain down here. Hope you don’t spend too much of your time on vacation “working”! But we do appreciate it.

6. Corinna says:

I’m mad at my chickens right now – they ate my tomatoes! (not that it’s my fault that the tomatoes aren’t protected)
    – welcome almost back!

7. Chavella says:

This is awesome, it helps me not to miss your blog so much. Read you soon.

8. Jane says:

Hi Karen:
    I’m new here…well sort of. I came across your site googleling how to unplug your central vac, or something along that line. Well, it was informative to help figure out where the blockage was or was not, and mine was in the really long hose. That being said, I found a long heavy stick, went to the top of the stairs and shoved that stick into the hose. I thought that maybe this was a mistake, what if it got stuck, how would I explain that to the repair guy. Well it worked, and I can now vacuum and actually suck things up. Okay the point to my long winded comment here is how the hell do I view the chickens? I click on the chicken box and new it is asking me for my email and password, what the hell? If you could let me know what I need to do to view your face food eating chickens, I would appreciate it. BTW sorry about you and the fella, it’s hard, but you are a strong, funny, independent person, and it is easy for me to say (now, I have had the same experience, but with 4 kids and a dog), you will come out of this stronger, wiser and eventually you will be happy again. Take care.

Thanks Jane – You may have figured it out already, but the username is guest and you leave the password blank. Instructions are right under the box with the chicken on the right. ~ karen!

9. Dee says:

I’m seeing three girls in the foreground enjoying a corn cob. Would love chickens in my own back yard but not allowed. Such a great way to start the day!

10. Robin says:

I have a coop cam also, it is so fun! I can look at from home or on my mobile phone, love to check on them when I’m not at home. Thanks for sharing!

11. kate-v says:

glad to see the chicken yard; chickens are good – don’t see any at the moment but will keep watching

12. Kat says:

Spotted a chicken for all of 2 seconds then it went away and found myself transfixed on watching 2 flies buzzing around on those boards (bench?) and now I have to go get a life!

13. joanna says:

love you and the girls!

14. Susan U says:

Karen –
    I am on vacation and away from my flock for the first time. I miss them terribly and am so happy to watch your Chicken Cam…. Thank you for being your wonderful, delightful, funny self.

15. Isabel says:

Just please come back, already…
    we miss you.

16. Laura Bee says:

Chicken butt…every time.

17. Laura Bee says:

ok…I just saw one of the girls chase off a sparrow. Action! 🙂

18. Marti says:

It’s like a trainwreck.. in that I cannot look away.

But they’re cute! 🙂

19. Maclaine says:

I SEE CHICKENS!!

20. Toronto Boy says:

ONE WORD: YAY!

21. Kris Wilson says:

Karen, so glad to see you still have your wonderful sense of humour. That will go a long way in helping you to heal. I rarely comment, just read, but I wanted to say that you are missed, but don’t come back till you’re ready. Your huge following will understand, this is a life changing thing that takes time to figure out. Kris

Hi Kris – I met you in the kitchen store once, right? I’m fine. I am well on my way through recovery. I’m working but because I have to work several days in advance for photographing, project organization etc., writing I won’t have posts up for a week or so. Possibly less. Thanks for checking in with me though. 🙂 ~ karen!

22. Tigersmom says:

I’m such a dolt!

I thought I was rather clever finding a way to wish you well by posting on your post prior to the break-up announcement post. (that’s a lot of posts for one sentence, eh?) I didn’t even think about the possibility of commenting on the coop cam post. Doh!

You are sounding better all the time. I’m glad to hear it.

Off to click ads.

23. Dot says:

Love your Coop Cam. Unfortunately I can’t do any housework because I have to keep a sharp eye on the chickies. Anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Forget the chickens. If you watch long enough you might get the pleasure of seeing my feet. Now that you have that information I would imagine you can give up on housework entirely. Your time is now spoken for. ~ karen!

24. Tigersmom says:

Ok, I’m aware that there are no chickens out at this early hour but,

THERE IS SOMETHING MOVING UNDER THE HAY!

Every time a new frame appears some of the hay is slightly disturbed next to where it was before. I hope for your sake it is only a mouse.

I did get to see fluffy chicken butts yesterday. And a close up of one of the girls. Wish I could tell them apart by name.

Chicken butts. Hehe. Makes me smile.

Tigersmom – Not to worry. It’s either a mouse or a chipmunk. Most likely a chipmunk. He rummages around for seed the chickens missed. ~ karen!

25. SheilaB says:

Hahahaha! I love it! I just showed this to my son and he started laughing and all he could say was “Guess what??? CHICKEN BUTT!!!” because that’s all we were seeing on the camera. Apparently one of the is eating right in front of the camera and showing their pantaloons. LOL! They have no dignity. 😉

26. Sara S says:

Karen,
    Where are you?? I have not had a good laugh without you!

Sara S – I’m working on posts at this very moment. The first post will go up on Monday and it will be back to normal from there on in. ~ karen!

27. nancy says:

oh dear, I had a root canal today, all I can do is lie about and watch the chicken cam. (any excuse will do….)

28. Kelly says:

I was just watching what appeared to be a giant spider crawl across the view, and all of a sudden a chicken jumped in the frame, bent down, and ate it. A.W.E.S.O.M.E. Totally wish someone would have been here with me to see that!

29. Nanette says:

Okay, at first I thought “What a scraggly-ass chicken” but the I realized it was fake. A poser. They are fun to watch but I can’t wait for Monday’s post!

30. Cheryl says:

To watch chickens seems pointless and mundane. I NEED mundane. Mundane Therapy anyone?

Cheryl – I go outside and sit with the chickens ALL the time as a form of therapy. They’re the most calming things in the world. Weird! ~ karen

• Cheryl says:

Not weird! Great! Being a city girl sometimes limits your scope of thinking. This coming from someone who just sold her small home to move into an even smaller apartment to be closer to the river that runs through our town! I now have tea every morning on my terrace while watching the duck swim down the river. I understand wildlife therapy now and with full force, embrace!

• Cheryl says:

I’m actually replying to my own comment only because, have you ever thought something to yourself and it seemed so funny at the time? After I posted this comment, and I looked at it, it wasn’t funny. In my head, it read like this: ” you would think watching chickens would be like the dullest thing on the planet! But they are so cute! I need cute after all of the crazy that’s happened in my life lately. Anyone out there feel me?”

So, to Karen, I in no way meant to offend or sound like a complete asshole. I know, too late! Please forgive me and know that I love not just the coop cam but your blog! I’m not one to usually post comments. I observe and listen. Learn a lot that way.

Keep doing what you’re doing girl! I LOVE it!

31. Cathy says:

Shame on you Karen!!! Thanks to you I have spent my work day with a picture in picture on my computer so I could watch your coop!!! And got excited when I finally saw a chicken!! Now tell me, which should I feel sillier about, watching the Coop Cam or watching the Loc Ness cam waiting for Nessie??

LOLOL!!!!! Thanks for all you do!!!

32. rob says:

What’s Up? Chicken butt… that’s what you see a lot of during feeding time aaaaaa looooot of chicken butts. That is all.

Well done.

33. Tigersmom says:

Just checked in on the girls and I can see the mouse walking on top of the hay!

34. Deb says:

I’m a graphic/web designer in NYC. Sometimes when I get a creative block, I stop by and check out a chicken or two… Yes, my colleagues think I’m a mad-hatter but I don’t care!

Obviously I don’t think you’re nuts at all. I almost missed the return of Breaking Bad ’cause I was watching them. ~ karen!

35. Marcia Shaw says:

Multiple Choice Test- Select one answer
    The mysterious, white, blurry and smoky looking stuff that we’re seeing on the coop cam is:
    A. Fog
    B. Giant spider webs
    C. Finger tip smears or squished bug smears on the cam lens
    D. A spooky apparition of chickens past

Hah! I have a glass dome over the camera in case of rain. Guess I forgot to take it off. It’s off now! No more ghosts. ~ karen

36. Candice says:

My 2yo enjoyed seeing the chickens 🙂

37. pam says:

Ok, really trying to figure out what the heck you are up to. I know your are making sauce, but what is that read and white contraption?

Pam – That is a tomato press. It squishes the whole tomatoes and separates the seeds and skin from the “juice”. Then you take the juice, boil it, can it and process it. ~ karen!

38. Sebrah says:

Nice legs! Whit Whoo! Those tomatoes look fresh too 😉

39. Corinna says:

Did you have any trouble getting them to lay in their nesting boxes? The Good Feathers (my gang of feathered thugs) do have the run of the backyard so I worry they’ll lay wherever.

Corinna – Make sure they have a designated nesting box close to their coop. Preferably inside somewhere. Put a couple of fake eggs in there and they’ll get the idea. It’s instinctual for them. But you do have to help them along by making sure they know where the nesting box is, and making sure you have some fake eggs in there. They like a secluded, smallish place to lay their eggs. They stand when they lay though, so there needs to be enough headroom that they can do that. ~ karen!

40. Corinna says:

Dr Quinn Medicine Chicken laid her first egg last night! She laid it beside the nesting box, so I need to rework that a little. I’m very excited. I am going to have the tiniest breakfast ever.

LOL! Yup, those first ones are hilariously small. They don’t take long to get bigger though! Congratulations. Isn’t it just about the most exciting thing EVER? ~ karen!

41. Tigersmom says:

Did I miss something? Where is the coop cam? The last few times I have tried to check on the girls I get nothin’.

42. Corinna says:

Question for you, oh wise chicken guru: I’m allowed chickens but my neighbours whine about chicken squawking when they are laying – do your neighbours mind? I’m going to try to find your magazines today.. =)

Hi Corinna – No. Nobody here minds the odd egg squawk. In fact, they claim to like the sound of the chickens. It could be the neighbours don’t like the idea that you have chickens in general and the only thing they can think to complain about is the squawk. ~ karen!

43. Corinna says:

One neighbour really doesn’t – she claims that they attract field mice (not because we back onto a field).. my other neighbour says they attract squirrels.. I say their lack of chickens breed earwigs.. The lady neighbour has a right to be a little annoyed since they flew over our fence 3 times. I youtubed how to clip their wings. Now they just torment me.

44. Leigh says:

Is Coop Cam still down? I have a strange, chicken-shaped hole in my life right now!

It is. 🙁 I just checked the camera yesterday and it still isn’t working. I accidentally left it in the rain and I was hoping once it dried out it would be up and working again. So the Coop Cam is on hold until I buy another camera. 🙁 Booo. ~ karen!

• Leigh says:

Let us know what type of camera. You never know if someone might have an old one somewhere! Like, for free. Free stuff is awesome!

LOL! I don’t think anyone would have one of these hanging around. 🙁 It’s a tRendnet TV-IP851WIC 360degree, night vision, security camera. Meant for indoors. Which I pretty much ignored, LOL. I normally keep a glass cover over the camera which works great, but it blurs the images. So when it’s nice it I remove the glass. This time I forgot to put it back on and a HUGE thunderstorm rolled in. Completely and totally my fault. I deserve to have to buy another camera. ~ karen!