Cuddles.

at-night-with-the-cuddles

Cuddles.  The little chicken so aptly named because all she wanted to do was sit in my lap and have her belly rubbed.

Cuddles.  The little chicken that followed me with her eyes since she was a day old.

Cuddles.  The little chicken that would quietly post for pictures in my arms whenever a newspaper, magazine or friend wanted to snap a shot.

Cuddles, the little chicken who cheated death on too many occasions to count, has died.

I’ll tell you more a little later about what happened.  Just not now.

Thank you to everyone who worried, offered advice, shed a tear or broke into a smile because of her these past 5 years.

Have a good weekend.

Karen

1. Juliet says:

I am so sorry to hear about Cuddles. Animals are true angels. They bring us such joy and the feeling of grief and loss when they go is very real. I like my pets incrementally more than I like some people. It is hard when their lives are cut short. Chickens are particularly tough because there is a certain amount of “attrition” (particularly if you live in the “sticks” like I do. ) and they often don’t live very long. You honor your sweet friend with your grief. It will make your relationship with your next furry or feathered friend even that much more special.

You were a good chicken mama. And I continue to enjoy you sharing your chicken adventures with us.

Best, Juliet

2. jillian says:

I am so sorry for your loss Karen. Love and healing light being sent to you.

3. Sherry (BTLover2) says:

Karen,

Losing a beloved pet, be it feathered or furred, is a heartbreaking time. I have no words other than I am so sorry, my soul hurts for you and that I understand. Your life was better for loving Cuddles. Sending you a big hug (and a cuddle)!

4. Barb says:

Karen, I’m so sorry. Losing any pet is a terrible loss. I always try to remember how we each enriched the life of the other and made it the best we could. It helps a little.

5. Tamnr says:

Hugs… I’m so sorry

6. Deb Johnston says:

Like so many others, I too realized that Cuddles had passed. So sad and sending you deepest sympathy on the loss of your beloved pet.

7. Marilyn says:

Aww. That sucks huge

8. Mary says:

Karen – I was almost afraid to open this post. The title was the clue – because that’s how I titled my e-mail this past summer to tell my friends and family of the passing of our dear dog Buck. Just…”Buck”. I am so very sorry about your loss of your friend. It matters not the species – they stick their paws/claws in our hearts and it rips away a piece when they leave us – which is always much too soon. I’m pretty sure there’s a place called the Rainbow Bridge. If there’s not, I’m going to be awfully disappointed! For dogs there’s endless places to run and bunnies to chase. For chickens, I suspect there must be lots of really slow bugs and corn just scattered willy-nilly for a chicken to eat all the time. Take good care and let yourself grieve. And if anyone tells you she was “just a chicken” – please slap them silly for me. Cuz that’s what it would be. Silly. Mary

9. Donna says:

So sorry Karen, she was a beautiful bird. How long do chickens usually live? She had a good home with you and you were blessed to have her in your life.

10. Katie says:

Oh Karen… I am so sorry to hear this. I’ve only been reading your blog for a short time, but I know how much you love Cuddles.

11. I´m so sorry for your lost :(
    Two of my chicks died in 2014 and I imagine how you´re feeling right now.

12. maggie van sickle says:

Awe Karen I am so sorry. She was your feathery friend and you loved her and she will be missed by you and us.

13. Carolyn says:

I am very sorry to hear about Cuddles.
    Losing a dear pet is never easy.
    Hang in there, as you can see from all the comments, you are not alone & we adored Cuddles as well.

14. Trish says:

auhh so sad to lose beautiful Cuddles…time will heal your broken heart, Karen!

15. SusanR says:

There’ s no such thing as “just a chicken” when you’ve raised her from being a baby, and nursed her through several close calls. The loss is real, the pain is real, and it’s a measure of the love and joy she brought to your life. I’m so sorry she’s gone. She was very special. I’m so sorry for your loss.

16. Christina Weber says:

There are no words. My heart is broken for you and Cuddles. Love comes in all forms, sometimes covered in feathers. Try to find comfort knowing what an outstanding mom you were to her and what a beautiful life you gave her. She was one lucky duck…er, I mean chick.

17. Shanelle says:

Sorry Karen. Hugs xx

18. Kathy W says:

Sad for you

19. Thera says:

So very sad to hear, she was definitely more than just a chicken.
    My heart felt condolances.

20. Vanessa says:

I am so very sorry you lost your friend. Our soul mates can come in many forms , mine was a giant, angry marmalade cat. When Monty died I was lost. He helped me through a very dark time in my life and I am convinced he was sent to guide me. ( crazy cat lady alert). Cuddles is still with you and Monty is still with me. Hang in there. We all feel your pain.

21. Joslynne says:

Very sad to read the news about Cuddles…it takes time to get over…tell us about it when you can!

Until then, being sad is just about the only thing you can do.

22. Etta says:

So very sad. I know that you loved her as a pet. Feathers rather than fur. She will be missed. Cry as much as you want to…as much as you need to.

23. Ashly says:

My sincerest condolences, Karen. I loved reading about your adventures in backyard chickens and it was your love for your girls and their warmth towards you that helped propel me towards keeping chickens myself. I know that you went above and beyond to care for Cuddles. My heart breaks for you and the rest of your girls.

24. Karen I am so very sorry to hear this. Your dear Cuddles was a member of your family. I always loved reading about her. May sweet memories be of comfort to you during this difficult time.

25. Rose says:

I’m sorry Canadian that a beloved friend is gone. She had a strong life force and I always enjoyed hearing about her and the gang.

26. Leisa says:

So sorry Karen.

27. Dave says:

We’re so sorry for your loss Karen. Our pets whether cats, dogs, or chickens hold a special place in our hearts.

28. Debbie D says:

I am so so sad. Tears are rolling down my face. So sorry. She was one amazing bird. We will all miss her. You couldn’t help but love her. She was very special. Sending warm hugs your way.

29. Anita says:

Family is family- whether it is human or animal. so sorry for your loss.

30. Susan McLean says:

So so sorry about Cuddles. You’ve lost a part of your heart and we all understand. Been there. Done that. Hugs.

31. Erin says:

So, so sorry Karen.

32. Ann says:

I’m so sorry to learn about Cuddles. You were lucky to have had such a special bond with the precious girl, and I know she loved you with all her heart. You gave her a wonderful life!

33. cary says:

Oh karen, I am so sorry. Cuddles is so lucky to have had you. You gave her the longest and best life that she could have ever possibly had. Know that.

34. Miriam Mc Nally says:

Aw, Karen, I’m so sorry for your loss.
    I know she was a much loved pet, and just hope that the lovely comments here will help to ease your sorrow.
    Give yourself a big hug, and know that you gave her the best life(s) she could ever have had: she was so loved.

35. Ann says:

So Sorry Karen, You’re in my prayers.

36. Donie Jensen says:

Dear Karen,

Sad to hear of your loss.
    I wish you solace.
    Thank you for sharing her with us all.
    She was a special soul that won’t soon be forgotten.
    (((hugs)))

Take care,
    Donie

37. Kathi says:

So sad for you Karen. Cuddles was a lucky pet to have you love her so much. I have no doubt she felt your affection, and was such a loving pet because of it.

38. Jen says:

I am sorry for the lost of your friend.

39. Merrilee says:

You two had some great adventures. And you nursed her through fly strike- no easy task! Sending love and remembering Cuddles with her spunky attitude.

40. Sabina says:

Sorry to hear of you loss Karen, pets are pets, they’re family no matter what species they may be. We all grieve with you.

41. Tracey says:

I’m so so very sorry to hear this news Karen. I’m just weeping because I know how much your darling Cuddles means to you. When you have a heart big enough to love all of Gods creatures as much as you do, then the pain will be felt all the more. Having lost pets, I know how deeply that grief is felt.
    Cuddles was not just a chicken….just as my dogs, are not just dogs. They are loved family members.
    I rejoiced when you brought Cuddles back from the brink many times. Such devotation and love.
    Ah honey, I wish all of the love your readers are sending to you could bring your baby back. May it bring you a small measure of comfort.
    Take care…

42. Teddee Grace says:

Oh, no! I am so sorry for your broken heart.

43. Jenny W says:

I’m so sorry, Karen :(

44. Emie says:

((((((Karen))))))

45. Cathy says:

Anyone who reads your blog more than once knows you are devastated; talk about it or not. But not before you are ready. My heart is so sad.

46. marli says:

I saw the title of the email and knew. and my heart broke for you. I’m so sorry.

47. Aw Karen that’s so sad. You and cuddles had quite the journey together and you didn’t give up on her that time she had the attack of fly worm or larva I’m not sure but the photos of her recovering were so cute. She was no ordinary chicken. She was one well loved chicken. Thinking of you and your little Cuddles. God Bless.
    Marie

48. Tara says:

Oh no! This is terrible news – Cuddles meant so much to all of us..

A happy Karen is a happy following and I think everyone will have a dark cloud over their day knowing you lost someone so special to you. Know that we’re all thinking about you today sweet lady!

49. allyn says:

I am so sorry. But realize she’s not really gone, she’s still with you. Every time you think of her she gets a chance to give you the love and strength you gave her every day of her life. She will be missed by many who never had the chance to know her except through your joy and love.

50. valerie says:

In the UK the term cuddle is used every day – parents give kids a cuddle if they’re sad for example. I always think of Cuddles the chicken when I hear it :)