DEAR AMERICA,

Dear America,

I’m really sorry.  That seems like such a useless and uninspired thing to say after the chain of events you’ve had to endure over the past few weeks. But at this point I have no idea what I could possibly say to make anyone feel better.  So all I can do is let you know that I’m thinking about you.  And that I’m sorry.

I’m writing to tell you that every day I think about your winds and your rain and your storms and your people.  I’m thinking about the families in Texas who were forgotten because of the tragedy in Florida.  I’m thinking about the families in Florida who were forgotten because of the tragedy in Puerto Rico.  I’m thinking about the families in Puerto Rico who were forgotten because of the tragedy in Las Vegas.

This little note is to let you know that none of you were actually forgotten.  You weren’t. Everyone is still thinking about all of you.

I know you’re America and you can get through anything.  But there are only so many punches even the toughest one in the room can take.  No matter how big you are, sometimes it’s nice to hear that someone is thinking about you.

When you’re the one that other people normally count on, it’s easy for us to think you never need support.  That you’ve got it together.  That you can handle anything.  But even the biggest and bravest need a shoulder.  You might not need it to cry on but it’s nice to know there’s someone with a shoulder you can rest your head on.  A shoulder to take some of the weight off for a little while.

Know that other countries are thinking about you.  Canada is thinking about you.  We go to bed touching and we wake up touching.  We share land and water.   You are family to us.  We might not agree with all of your policies. We might not agree with all of your laws.  We definitely don’t agree with your decision to not serve vinegar with french fries.  But no matter what the differences, you are family and family support each other through thick and thin.

As we Canadians head into this Thanksgiving long weekend I wanted to make sure you know you always have a place at our table.

Get well America, and again … I’m sorry.  We’re all really sorry.

1. Hillary says:

Didn’t expect to get choked up reading your post this morning. I feel racked by guilt that I’ve “forgotten” someone who is suffering but I don’t know how to bear this much pain in two weeks. My family got hit badly in Texas and in Florida. I have friends in Puerto Rico. My brother was on the Vegas strip the night of the shooting. I feel like everything has touched us personally.
    The human psyche is not built to tolerate this much bad news. At some point we have to turn away, turn off the news, log off of twitter, and focus on the mundane daily tasks that keep us going. But I want to say thank you for writing this because it connected us and it reminded me that other people feel it, too.
    So, thank you for that.

• Jan in Waterdown says:

Hillary, after reading your post my heart goes out to you. I’m watching “Remembering the Victims” on CNN and it is gut wrenching. Please know that I care, even though we don’t know each other, your pain is so real. I hope it will eventually be healed.

2. Sandy says:

Thanks so much, Karen. . Your heartfelt word are so welcome in the challenging times your US friends are facing..

3. Eileen says:

Karen,
    I am new to your blog as of this week, but your post brought tears to my eyes. Such lovely thoughts so well expressed! Thank you, and may you have many reasons to be thankful this year.

4. Lori says:

That made me tear up and smile at the same time. Thank you, Karen…for being you.

5. Angela says:

Just..thank you. Thank you so much. Your words always give me what I need, when I need it. Most of the time it’s super helpful information and a really good laugh, but this is what I needed today. I didn’t know it until I read it, and yours were the first words I took in today. I think my day will be much better for it. xo

6. SALLY BERBERT says:

Thank you. That was one of the nicest things that I’ve ever read. Thank you.

7. Maggie Van Sickle says:

Well said Karen sprinkled with a tiny bit of humour

8. Amy Watson says:

Thank you Karen………your beautiful words were much needed and at a time when our country feels like we have been attacked from all sides. We love you Canada because we know you love us.

9. Jody Boswell says:

Amen. Thank you for putting into words what all Canadians are thinking and feeling. Enjoy Thanksgiving with loved ones.❤️

10. Marcia says:

Once again you’ve shown us with that Canadians are much classier then we Americans are. So may I take this opportunity to tell you how sorry I am that we put the orange baboon in the oval office. It’s like having a terrible noisy neighbor move in right next-door to you.

11. Jacqueline Taylor says:

Thank you for the very kind words, Karen!

As an ex-pat Canadian in the great USA, I am often amazed and appalled in equal measure at what goes on down here. It is a wonderful country with BIG issues…..
    Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving!

Jacqui

12. Christie Cokely says:

This post gave me chills. Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! <3

13. jaine kunst says:

Happy Thanksgiving, Karen. Thank you for your warm and kind thoughts and big hugs to you for reminding us we are all one big family in this world.

14. Carol Hogan says:

Dear Karen – Thank you from this American in Florida. And, by the way, many places serve what I call Boardwalk Fries with vinegar so you can take that one off the list of disagreements.

15. Leisa Daly says:

Very well said. Thanks Karen and Happy Thanksgiving.

16. Shannon says:

Thank you, Karen. Living in Florida and getting hit by a diminished Irma was fine. Living without power for a week, and trying to find ice and food, and moving around to friends and family who had gotten power back, was hard. But nothing compared to Puerto Rico and Las Vegas. Thank you for your sentiments, they are much appreciated!

17. Diane says:

Happy Thanksgiving Karen and thank you for this post.
    You are Simply The Best!

18. Beth says:

Thank you.

19. Sandy says:

Thank you, Karen.

20. danni says:

Thanks Karen, it has been a bad stretch but nice to know our neighbors care. Happy Thanksgiving to you. Be thankful that you found the words to help, they do more than you can imagine.

21. Lindsay says:

Thank you! 😘

22. MaryJo says:

Karen, that’s so beautiful it made me cry!
    Thank you for always being you and for caring.
    Hugs,
    MaryJo

23. Diana Donaldson says:

Thank you for the kind words.

24. Catherine Vosper says:

Yup!

25. Lynda Dunham-Watkins says:

Thank you, Karen. Same as many others….I needed that and didn’t know it. Hugs from Texas.

26. Marie Anne Delia says:

Thanks Karen. I’m Canadian and you made me proud. We are on the same roller coaster of emotions, America. Sadness, fear, worry, anger and hope. I hope you get well soon.

27. Susan says:

28. kris fletcher says:

That is the most helpful anything I’ve read all week. Thank you. We love Canada and often consider moving there because you have a wonderful place. Plus Justin Trudeau! That’s enough right there. We aren’t brave anymore, with the exception of our military and people who take positive, intelligent action to cure the injustices in our society. We have a lot of self absorbed whiners on both ends of the political spectrum who refuse to listen to any ideology that doesn’t exactly match theirs exactly. It’s made me sad this week, that the focus goes not only to the latest tragedy like you mentioned but more to throwing barbs at which political party is at fault. So I thank you from the bottom of my heart for thinking with us with esteem and sending out love.

29. Allison says:

Thank you, Karen.

❤️, Texas

30. Joy Buchanan says:

Thank you so much, Karen. It’s nice to know there are people in other parts of the world who don’t hate us. 🙂 Happy Thanksgiving!

31. Lisa says:

Thank you.
    I lost my mom three and a half months ago. It was sudden and unexpected and threw my world into a pain I didn’t know exhisted.
    She was my best friend and soulmate.
    Then all of these terrible events just kept happening.
    I have been angry for the last few weeks. It all piles up.
    I’m not one to believe God causes these things. It’s life. Shot happens and we were given what we need to get through it.
    It’s nice to know people in other places are thinking about us.
    Thank you for the kind words.
    Oh, by the way. In my neck of the woods, we do have vinegar for frenchfries. 🙃

32. Carolyn says:

So appreciated.

33. Anne Phillips says:

Thank you for the kind words. You’re a special person and I always look forward to your posts.

34. Carrie says:

Thank you for your kind words Karen!
    Its hard to make any sense of all that’s been going on lately but a nice reminder that were all in this together and we need to lift each other up in times of tragedy.
    God bless all those impacted by senseless violence and mother nature. I pray for quick healing/recovery. Words easily said but meant with hope for a better tomorrow!

On a happier note, this American loves French fries with malt vinegar Karen!!

35. Paula Elliott says:

Love. No other words can convey what I feel after reading your blog. Just plain ol’ simple Love.

36. Sue in PA says:

Thank you, Karen. ❤ Happy Thanksgiving!

Do salt and vinegar potato chips count?

37. Debbie D says:

I reiterate what is said by the others as a tear rolls down my cheek. Thank you and have a wonderful Thanksgiving Canada, our dear neighbor to the north. It has been a rough couple of months.

38. Julie Scott says:

Thank you, Karen.

39. Jacquie says:

Beautifully said Karen. And I’d like to tell your American readers that the tiny island of Malta, which is the size of your average Starbucks, is thinking of you too. Stay safe friends.

40. Mary C. says:

Thanks Karen. I have a friend/former coworker who was a victim in the Begas shootings. Here is the link to his youcare site. He left behind three children.

41. Heather says:

I’ll add my thanks, Karen. We all needed to read that. The USA gets such a bad rap. There are so many people there, 10 times as many as there are in Canada, so it’s no wonder there are some bad apples, so to speak. But there are more, so many more, good people who are loving and caring and compassionate and creative. Let’s remind them we love them and respect them and wish them well everyday. xo

42. Kate says:

That was totally unexpected, and so very kind. I didn’t know it, but I needed that. And I feel better. Thank you, Karen. I’m really glad we’re neighbors. Happy Thanksgiving.

43. Nancy Blue Moon says:

Thanks sweetie..it really does mean alot…and just so you know…I love vinegar on my fries…

44. Babara H. says:

Thank you.

45. Marilyn VanOs says:

Like Bethany, I didnʻt realize I needed that. Thank you for your kind thoughts. You all brought a tear that Iʻve been holding on to for too long to my eye. Canada is our coolest neighbor! Hugging us when we need a really good one!

46. Mama Toto says:

Well said Karen, from a fellow Canadian.

47. Ca says:

Well said Karen, from a fellow Canadian.

48. Peg says:

49. Melanie says:

Thank you for your kind and supportive words.

50. Engineer Guy says:

Karen,
    So well said…. and of course we Americans think of you Canadians as our “best friends!” Also appreciate your accuracy in the depiction of events as you described. I must remain anonymous, but because I was an Engineer called on to consult on the Hurricane Harvey Relief Effort. I can tell you that this was a political football that escalated from the lowest to the highest branches of gvmt., and that the horrors of what these people went through is is not not even accurately conveyed from the press…. and the several additional weeks duration for the victims – for various reasons, can only be described as grotesque and I believe many, many lives could have been saved if decisions were made prior to so much political vollying.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts and also for sharing your heart with this forum

• Pam'a says:

Your comments confirm what Beloved and I were just lamenting the other day. Why does it seem like we have to completely reinvent the wheel every time a disaster hits, no matter how many times it’s happened before? Surely there’s a danged manual laying around someplace… But thank you for what I’m sure was hard work!

And Karen, thank you for the spiritual cookies. 🙂