DEAR AMERICA,

Dear America,

I’m really sorry.  That seems like such a useless and uninspired thing to say after the chain of events you’ve had to endure over the past few weeks. But at this point I have no idea what I could possibly say to make anyone feel better.  So all I can do is let you know that I’m thinking about you.  And that I’m sorry.

I’m writing to tell you that every day I think about your winds and your rain and your storms and your people.  I’m thinking about the families in Texas who were forgotten because of the tragedy in Florida.  I’m thinking about the families in Florida who were forgotten because of the tragedy in Puerto Rico.  I’m thinking about the families in Puerto Rico who were forgotten because of the tragedy in Las Vegas.

This little note is to let you know that none of you were actually forgotten.  You weren’t. Everyone is still thinking about all of you.

I know you’re America and you can get through anything.  But there are only so many punches even the toughest one in the room can take.  No matter how big you are, sometimes it’s nice to hear that someone is thinking about you.

When you’re the one that other people normally count on, it’s easy for us to think you never need support.  That you’ve got it together.  That you can handle anything.  But even the biggest and bravest need a shoulder.  You might not need it to cry on but it’s nice to know there’s someone with a shoulder you can rest your head on.  A shoulder to take some of the weight off for a little while.

Know that other countries are thinking about you.  Canada is thinking about you.  We go to bed touching and we wake up touching.  We share land and water.   You are family to us.  We might not agree with all of your policies. We might not agree with all of your laws.  We definitely don’t agree with your decision to not serve vinegar with french fries.  But no matter what the differences, you are family and family support each other through thick and thin.

As we Canadians head into this Thanksgiving long weekend I wanted to make sure you know you always have a place at our table.

Get well America, and again … I’m sorry.  We’re all really sorry.

1. Grammy says:

Add me to the list of people who didn’t know I had tears waiting to fall until I read this. Every single day we deal with a “leader” who seems to think play-acting like a child who declares he’s a superhero is an appropriate way to deal with the many problems we have been facing.

It’s been overwhelming lately, and the time spent calling to find out if relatives in this place and then the ones in that place are okay or if they need anything is exhausting, and most of us just don’t have enough money to send enough to every single part of the country who needs it when the things come so close upon each other.

Thank you, our Canadian friend, for thinking of us when you are preparing for your own holiday. And thank you even more for expressing it so beautifully. It really does help. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

2. Chartrice Morris says:

Have been a fan of you for a long time, always get excited to read your post to see what I could do if I put my mind to it…you always make me laugh or smile…this time you brought tears to my eyes.
    Thank you for your kind words, may your Thanksgiving be special…
    Love from Texas

3. Sabina says:

Thank you Karen, Happy Thanksgiving <3

4. Teddee Grace says:

Thanks, Karen. This year has been so stressful for anyone with a brain, starting with the inauguration, and it just keeps getting worse. You try to shake it off, knowing you really can’t do much but sign petitions to let your legislators know where you stand on the issues and hope global warming doesn’t dish up anything worse since it can’t be reversed quickly or easily and the crazies and copycats don’t now start coming out of the woodwork with their modified weapons thinking shooting fish in a barrel seemed like a real good idea, but it all takes a toll. Have a wonderful thanksgiving, send up more good thoughts and next month we’ll do the same and just hope that with the passage of time things may get back to something akin to normal. In the meantime, let’s keep making things pretty and keeping things funny where we can!

5. Kyle says:

Thank you Karen, you can’t even say some kind words without it devolving into something ridiculous. You’re my inspiration for my project today, guest room bathroom vanity revamp. It might lift my spirits. Thanks again.

6. Benjamin says:

Thank you Karen. Las Vegas loves you back sister. You’re family and you’re fierce and you’re a wonderful friend. I need that shoulder more than I thought I did. (got a few tears coming) Happy Thanksgiving. xoxo

7. Tammy says:

Karen,

Thank you….You have proven to be an artist of doing stuff, saying stuff, feeling stuff and now supporting your American neighbors with genuine empathy. Much appreciated.

8. Laurinda says:

Oh Karen, *sniffle*, thank you

9. Donna says:

Thank you Karen. after putting my beloved lilypug to sleep I thought you’d reached sainthood with your pet memorial post. Now I’m wondering if there’s a higher level for you. Your post was perfect, touching, kind, with just a hint of humor with ht evinegar on French fries. Tried that back in the seventies at Virginia Beach. I especially appreciate the lack of politics. In the wake of such disasters, there are no politics, only suffering and support. Thanks so much
    Donna

10. Arli says:

Thank you. It’s times like this that you really appreciate such extremely kind words and friends. A little bit of light in a dark, bleak world. Very, very touching post.

11. Jan in Waterdown says:

Amen Karen! On the eve of our Thanksgiving weekend, I am so pleased and proud that you wrote those lovely words which so eloquently express what I’ve been thinking and feeling. When American Thanksgiving rolls around next month, I sincerely hope that there will be something for which all of you can be thankful. ❤️’s across the border!

12. Alena says:

How nice, Karen!

I would also like to say that I would gladly take half of the rain because it’s really badly needed in my end of the ‘hood. If only I could.

13. Darlene Meyers says:

Karen I really hope you read this…
    My husband and I were in Toronto on vacation from Maryland. It just so happens we were in Canada on 9/11.
    The outpouring of love and thoughts that we heard on tv and the radio about that very dark time in the US history was more than I could bear. It brought me to my knees and unchecked tears from my eyes. That day is Canada National Day of Service says a whole lot about our friends to the north. So I will take this opportunity to say, we will always appreciate Canada and think of you with love.

I just happened to be working in one of those new stations in Toronto on that day. It was surreal to say the least. I’ll never forget it. ~ karen!

14. Julie says:

From a Florida/Texas girl, with a son living in Florida…thank you so much! It’s been a rough go since January, in all honesty.

Your post made a difference in my day and leading into my weekend!

15. Peggy says:

Amen, Karen. I feel as though a good friend is being bullied and traumatized and there’s little I can do to stop it. Please know, America, that our big Canadian hearts go out to you all. We’re mourning too. Please continue to fight for social justice, equality and peace. Shalom.

16. Judi Wigren-Slack says:

Thank you Karen for your very sweet and thoughtful comments. We Americans love Canada for so very many reasons. In fact, while in Europe last month we often pretended to BE Canadian when people started talking about our current idiot in chief. I’m afraid that we never heard one decent comment about the orange POTUS but we heard lots of great things about Canada.
    Somehow America will get through all of this. I think. Otherwise, how much is a couple of acres in Ontario?

17. Connie says:

Thank you Karen. You touched my heart. You are right, we will make it through, even with the orange psycho in charge. I keep thinking we will anyway, because there are more good people than bad, and more sane people than crazy. (With the exception of the White House of course) Anyway, you made me feel better girl, so thanks.

18. Mary W says:

Karen, thank you. I’ve read the other comments and realize that what I felt while reading your post was so similar to other Americans. I’m surprised with my tears and flood of caring for you and your words. I’ve been too depressed to do much art which I’ve always done my whole life. I’ve been consumed by TRMS and MCNBC, taping Rachel so I can fall asleep listening and hopefully learning how in the world we ended up in this place. I’ve gotten so angry that I’m sure my blood pressure meds should be higher. I’m totally bewildered at friends and family who voted the other way. I hug my grandkids too hard and pray for a better future. I read your blogs to laugh and escape. BUT I didn’t know how much I needed to hear your words. They are a ‘true’ blessing to me. I’ve felt that other countries didn’t like us, didn’t respect us, were laughing at us, and was so embarrassed by some of the leaders and His extreme ignorance – I was ashamed for our country. That has never happened before to me – so I felt extremely guilty. Knowing there are others out there that have your same understanding and feelings has been like a drink of water after days spent in the desert. I didn’t know I needed to hear your words, until I heard them. Yes, I’m still depressed and scared but thank you from the bottom of my butt. (It’s bigger than my heart.) Had to end on a lighter note. Love you!

19. Edith says:

20. Flash says:

21. Jeannie says:

Thank you, Karen! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

22. Kris Wilson says:

Perfectly said Karen. Thank you for expressing those feeling so eloquently on behalf of so many of us.

23. NinaMargo says:

Karen, as Emily Dickinson wrote: “The thank you in my heart obstructs the thank you on my lips”. So much pain here in the US is lessened your heartfelt and kind words.

Your southern neighbor is grateful to have such a truly fine northern neighbor even if we don’t always show it!

24. Barb says:

Simply, thank you.

25. Ev wilcox says:

Hugs back at you, and to all!

26. Carolyn says:

Beautifully written and much appreciated!

27. Kathline says:

Thank you. What we’re witnessing in all of this is that, despite what some media outlets would have us believe, there is still so much good out there. Humans are still basically, at the core, good and want to look out for each other and this planet we share. It gives me hope on my grouchiest days.

28. Trish says:

Thank you. Much like everyone above, I didn’t know I needed that. Happy Thanksgiving.

29. Linda says:

Thanks Karen. Add our little Virgin Islands to the list of devastation. Everyone forgets about them.
    The cynic in me wants to think this is all bad karma coming back on us for our choice of president last year. So maybe now we’re due for a break, if we can just get it right next time.

• Mary W says:

Your island and people have been and will continue to be in many thoughts and prayers. We wish your recovery is as soon as possible although it will surely be a difficult and long time.

30. Kim from Milwaukee says:

Karen, you made me bawl with that one….it’s been a hard week and I don’t even have loved ones who were directly touched by any of the events of the past couple months.

Thank you for your kind words and warm heart. We need all the prayers we can get. There are times I really want to move to Canada to get away from all the craziness down here, but that means leaving my sisters, and I can’t do that. We’re all connected, aren’t we?

31. Stefanie says:

Thank you for your kindness and humor. It has been such a grim time here in Las Vegas. When I gave blood this week, I thought of you and your funny donation experience and it made me smile. Thanks again.

32. JVF says:

Thank you Karen.

P.S. I’ve never made it out of my country (the USA) but I insist on vinegar with my french fries.

33. Karen says:

Thanks for this post Karen. And as a fellow Canadian I echo the sentiments.

34. Bryonna says:

Thank you, Karen, for writing this. Eloquent, touching, inspiring. May this posting spread and be a groundswell of peace in these troubled times. Happy Thanksgiving, eh!

35. Flossie says:

Thank you Karen- and agree with you Jenifer, “Love and kindness will win in the end.” After ALL, what else is there to give?

36. JodyG says:

You made me cry. Thank you. I certainly have not forgotten the “Canadian Caper.” Thank you, also and once again, for 1/28/80.
    And Happy Thanksgiving to you.

37. Ev Wilcox says:

When we read the post of Cuddles’ passing I imagine several of us shed a few tears, but this post really opened our floodgates. My eyes are still leaking. Thanks so much for your words of consolation. We really do need them. (and vinegar on FF’s is wonderful!) Thanks Karen.

38. Barb says:

Thank you, Karen. You forgot the part about electing a bafoon for president, but no one has forgotten about that.

• Kim from Milwaukee says:

He’s no president of mine. I haven’t let go of Obama yet.

• Jan in Waterdown says:

Dear Barb, there’s no way she forgot about him. We can’t “up here”, even though we desperately want to. I believe Karen wanted to make this all about how we care for our American cousins in their pain and sorrow and will remember y’all especially on Thanksgiving.

• Barbara Qualteria says:

Thanks, Jan. It was my snide, and sometimes inappropriate humor talking. I certainly appreciate your kind thoughts and words.

39. susang says:

thank you for your kind thoughts. as usual, you worded it just right. I wish you and all of Canada a happy thanksgiving and thank you for being such a wonderful neighbor.

40. Lynn says:

Excellent timing–we all thank you for your care & concern! Keep up the funny stuff–I have found that laughing is the best thing to lighten a heavy heart!

41. Andrea says:

42. Lisa says:

Thank you.

It’s very hard to be an American right now………. Our hearts & country are broken. But we will fight thru it and come out on top because that is what we do.

Happy Thanksgiving

43. Marge says:

What a beautiful surprise to see your post, like an unexpected wonderful gift. Your sensitivity and kindness is inspiring.

44. Katie C. says:

Thank you, Karen. Thank you so much.

45. Dorothy B. says:

Thank you so much for your thoughts, I can’t tell you how good it made me feel to hear them. You’re great Karen!!

46. Beth says:

Thank you so much! It’s dusty here in Illinois too! Happy Thanksgiving Karen!

47. Twyla Hobbs says:

Thank you Karen. Very well said.

48. Amy says:

That was beautiful. Very well said! It felt like u were talking about me too. And America. Thank you. 😘

49. Debra Byrd Milam says:

THANK YOU!!!

50. TexasMom says:

When I got out of bed this morning, I promised myself I would not cry again today. Your post brought another tear, but the good kind this time. Thank you so much. We did need it. I needed it.