DIY Enzyme Cleaner!
The Results Show.

Results

You may remember way back in July I decided to start some enzyme cleaner.  A homemade enzyme cleaner that’s supposed to have the magical properties of a thousand unicorns.

Basically it’s a combination of water, old citrus peels and some brown sugar.  You can see my original post on how to make it here.  It’s supposed to replace regular toxic household cleaners and do an even better job.  The catch?  It takes 3 months to make.  It needs that time to develop and ferment.

What happens is the citrus peels produce a small amount of yeast, which in turns eats up the sugar which somehow turns into enzymes.  I have no idea how.  I don’t really care either.  Enzymes are known to be great cleaners and any products that are used for getting rid of pet urine stink are usually made of enzymes.  So homemade enzyme cleaner is good.

Of course I had to try making it because why wouldn’t I?  It’s what I do.  Try things.  And this was looking especially appealing for some reason.  The 3 months was a pain in the ass but I’ve waited much longer for far less so I figured I could tough it out.

Besides.  If this enzyme cleaner was as good as the people of the Internet were professing 3 months of waiting was a minuscule price to pay. According to the tribe of enzyme Internet people, once it’s done, this stuff will clean bathtubs, mirrors, toilets, food, pet urine, remove brown spots from your skin and of course, warts.  Yes.  That is what they say.

The last thing to get people this worked up was snake oil.

Here’s how it all turned out for me …

July 6th I started my batch of enzyme cleaner.  3 months later it hadn’t done a thing.  No fermenting, no gassing up, no nothin.  All instructions for making this stuff warned you about the fact that so much gas will be produced in the bottle while it’s working it’s magic that the lid might explode off.  No exploding.   3 months later it was the same as it was from day one, with a little extra colour and stink.

I also knew the enzyme cleaner wasn’t ready because it was incredibly sticky.   Any of the sugar I put in there was still there.   If the enzyme cleaner had  properly fermented there wouldn’t be any sugar left in it.

So after 3 months of nothing happening I added a teaspoon of yeast to my concoction.  This did the trick and within a few days the bottle was bubbling and fermenting and producing more gas than Honey Boo Boo at a chili eating contest.

About 2 weeks later it stopped producing gas and wasn’t sticky at all, so I knew it was done.

I measured out the recommended ratio of Enzyme Cleaner to water.  All the sites that extoll the virtues of this cleaner say to use it straight for pet accidents, one part enzyme to 5 parts water for cleaning glass, and 1 part enzyme to 10 parts water for general cleaning, like in bathrooms and kitchens.

And then I started cleaning.  And what did I think?

DIY Enzyme Cleaner is stupid.

I started off by cleaning some sticky windows.  It didn’t work.  Windex did.

Then I moved onto a mirror.  It worked.  So did Windex and so did plain water.

Then into the bathroom I went.  It did a fine job on the sink and bathtub.  Just like my regular cleaner only not as good.

Off to the kitchen.  Again it did a fine job on the counters and windowsills but a terrible job on the baseboards (which had some kind of grease on them).

That’s where I stopped my experiment.  It seemed pointless to continue because I knew … I was never going to make this again.

It wasn’t that it was completely terrible, it just wasn’t worth the effort and really didn’t clean nearly as well as commercial cleaners.  Yes, I know … if you lick it though, you won’t die!  You won’t die if you lick Windex either so don’t worry about it.  Neither will your baby.

If you’re worried about that sort of thing there’s a myriad of products out there that are safe for you and your baby and your curious licking problem.

I don’t know if was just me, or my particular batch but after reading what other bloggers had to say about this stuff I was expecting rays of sunshine to come exploding out of my toilet after I cleaned with it.  They did not.

I’m kind of suspicous about these other bloggers and what they normally use for cleaning products if they’re so impressed with this.  I suspect prior to making enzyme cleaner they’d been trying to clean their homes with roadkill.

And that’s basically my assessment of this DIY Enzyme Cleaner.  It’s better than roadkill.

1. hemanrocksall@yahoo.com says:

Babe,
    You got that all wrong.
    First make sure that the brown sugar is well mixed. Next dont let it sit in cold and shall be away from sunlight. Next always shake or stir the solution atleast once in 2 days. Moreover your kitchen waste shall be alive i.e. not boiled, baked etc.
    That eco enzyme works everytime.

2. N8thecarpetguy says:

I’ll go ahead and be the nerdy pro that was bound to stumble onto this and can’t shut his big trap because you did this on purpose just to mess with me and it’s driving me crazy what did I ever do to you to deserve this…. (Inhale)

… you made an Amylases enzyme. Ahhhhhh, man that’s better. It’s used for starch-based soils that contain eggs, sugars, sauces, gravy, ice cream, etc. Effective, in it’s place, but we don’t use it very often. There are 4 types of enzymes used for cleaning purposes, and this specific one breaks down starch chains into smaller sugar molecules, causing them to become easier to remove (extract or rinse away with another agent and water). Contrary to popular belief, enzymes are not “living things” as many people believe. They are actually a byproduct of specific bacteria that grow in certain conditions. They tend to “attach” to similar substances from which they originated, but there are some exceptions. They don’t “eat” the targeted substance as you sometimes see claimed either, but rather change the substance’s form at a molecular level, so to speak. Hope this helps a bit… I really tried not going all mad scientist on everybody, this subject just gets so many DIY’ers confused, and for good reason. I have to help occasionally, otherwise I won’t sleep tonight still thinking about this blog. I suppose that means it’s a good one though, so there’s that.

As a bonus for playing along:

I came here after reading your first part, which seemed to be focused on a DIY for “Nature’s Miracle”, which is actually more of an oxidizer btw, but does have low level enzymatic properties. The type of enzyme used for urine is called Proteases, and it targets proteins. We use it for things like blood, urine, feces, etc. It cannot be synthesized or grown at home unfortunately (unless you grow Papayas), but I’ll give you a cool tip in exchange for having me…

meat tenderizer 😉 Good luck everybody, and remember to restore the ph after you’ve used the meat tender… er…., enzyme. I’m sure you can find something *cough* *white vinegar* *cough* *cough* that will do the trick. Just blot it out with clean water afterwards… whatever “it” is.

• Erin says:

Thank you!!!!! Now a question, since I see you are a carpet guy^^ any idea about “urine off” properties ??

3. Dixie Champagne says:

Jury is still out on the homemade stuff, though it was easy to make using a glass jug with an airlock. I also added yeast from the start.

Then, while it was fermenting, I found an enzymatic pet stain cleaner at Dollar Tree for (you guessed it) a dollar. Have been highly satisfied with this product

4. Sharon Pavlovits says:

Okay. Stupid auto correct. That should say cleaned soap scum off all my sinks

5. Sharon Pavlovits says:

I tried the formula and it worked great! Mixing the left over pulp in a blender with baking soda, the paste cleaned soap,suck easily off all my son’s whether plastic, porcelain or steel. And I usually use vinegar and baking soda. This did work faster and better, leaving a shine where before it was dull. And they drained faster, too.

Mixing the liquid 1:20 with water, my son washed the family van. Shone like it was just waxed! And it’s 10+ years old.

Then I tried 4 tablespoons in the dishwasher instead of detergent, just the liquid portion of the formula. Dished were super clean, even my usually stained coffee cups and even removed most of the odd grey streaks off older dishes … you know the ones from improper loading… yeah..gone!

I’m sold. Making it again and in a larger batch. I did use organic peels, both lemon and orange. Sat with yeast from the get go for three weeks on countertop, shaken daily.

6. Dela says:

Thank you for your honest depiction of this DIY. You have debunked another snake oil theory.

7. Chast4 says:

I love your willingness to say “it doesn’t work”. Drug companies and cosmetics makers hide their bad results. – retired scientist.

8. Jessica M Chattopadhyay says:

Well from all I have learned from all i have searched you have to expirament wth any and all things untill you get it right.

9. Kennedy says:

I know this is late in the game, but thought I’d leave my comment for people who happen on this like I did. Sorry to hear that you did not have much success with your enzyme cleaner, especially after waiting so long. It sounds like something went awry. Even though the adding of the yeast seemed to do the trick, perhaps it helped, but didn’t go all the way. I’ve had a lot of success with the enzyme cleaner made with and without yeast. Both produce a lot of gas, without yeast takes longer to ferment, but I have a ding in my kitchen ceiling from a lid that popped off when I went to loosen a lid that I forgot to loosen after shaking. Over night it created that much gas. I have not used the enzymes for pet problems, but have had a super success using it on my herbs and other plants, fixtures (the only thing that cleaned some brass drain plates from black back to a lustrous brass they once where before being neglected for years), I add a bit of Thieves to it and use an AP cleaner & degreaser. I will admit on the rare occasion that something is fried and there is a lot of grease spatter I find it does not cut through the grease as easily as something else. I just use another cleaner on those occasions or put in a little more elbow grease and use it. Since I started using the enzyme cleaner (w/ Thieves) on my butcher’s block I find that I do not have to oil it like I used to. Last but not least when I moved in to a home that had been vacant awhile there was a smell of mildew and mold emanating from the pipes, especially in one shower drain. It could just about knock you down. I thought usage and time would help, which it did a bit, but not enough. Then I started using different things, called plumbers and they wanted to replace this or all the pipes…well that wasn’t going to happen any time soon. I started DIY’g because I didn’t have any money, so… months down the road I came upon the citrus enzyme and someone mentioning it for drain maintenance. It took a few months and a lot of treatment at first, but the stank is gone and has been for a good long while. Saved me thousands of dollars. Now I regularly treat all the drains once a month with the enzymes (about 1/2 C down each drain at night, flush with hot water next morning…toilets too). The toilets used to get clogged fairly easily, but that is a very rare occasion now. So, I’d encourage anyone who hasn’t tried it to give it a shot. You may not love it for everything, but even if you find that you only use it for a few things you are still saving money and only takes a few active minutes to make. LOL… I shake my bottles while I’m trying to remember why I walked into the kitchen in the first place. I constantly have a rotation going, because I use it so much. I have to say that for the most part I much prefer my DIY cleaners over commercial products with the exception of DIY dishwasher detergent. Also, because, on occasion I still buy my beloved Caldrea for its yummy scents that I can’t quite duplicate or another commercial cleaner just because I do notice that sometimes there seems to be a transition period from going to certain commercial cleaners to the enzyme cleaner. It takes a few cleanings with the enzyme cleaner to really start doing it’s stuff.

10. Lyn says:

I was told you need a glass container to ferment properly, and that plastic containers would not work. perhaps that was a factor?

That technically makes sense Lyn, but I ferment in plastic all the time. :/ I ferment pickles and chicken feed and all kinds of stuff. All in plastic. This DIY enzyme cleaner was a bit thing on the Internet a few years ago but you barely hear or see anything about it now. I’m guessing because it didn’t actually work, lol. ~ karen!

11. Sara Houston says:

HELP PLEASE!! Thank you so much for doing the “foot work” for us on the DIY enzyme cleaner, as I was about to try making the same enzyme cleaner myself. I have light beige carpets & need to desperately find something that will remove old dog & cat urine stains. I’m to the point of embarrassment in having company over due to the looks of my carpets. I even keep rugs in my hall closet & pull them out quickly when I see a car pull in the drive! On a humid day the smell is awful & just lingers in the air. UGGH! Eventually, I will be replacing the carpet, but for now my finances just won’t allow me to. I’ve used several DIY recipes & think YES, FINALLY Success!! And then, days later it the stain returns. It doesnt help either that in some rooms there is double padding under the carpet. I just found your blog and can’t wait to read more! You have a new follower!! ANY & ALL ADVICE will be tried & used. I’ll post back my findings.

Much Kindness,
    Elizabeth

12. I have a dog daycare and have been trying to find anyone who knows what they’re talking about in regards to making my own Enzyme solution. Starting to doubt it. One blog or site did have someone who basically said that you can’t make a solution of animal waste eating enzymes out of plants and sugar. Makes sense to me. The factories that make the animal byproduct eating enzymes use animal fat and have fancy machines and chemists who know what they’re doing, which is why those products that work cost so much. Maybe he was a rep for one of those companies looking to steer people away from hurting his livelihood. Maybe it was all true. Sounded true. Anyway, just thought you’d like to know.

13. Nancy says:

Fermenting tips from a winemaker’s wife: allow your concoction to be exposed to air – don’t put the cap on right away. This will allow the natural yeast in the air (yes, it’s everywhere) to interact with your peels and sugar. (We just started a batch of homemade hard cider like this – with nothing but apple cider and air.) Adding yeast will definitely speed up the process. You can cover the top of your container with cloth. Too much yeast or sugar might make it too exciting and overflow. Perhaps set your container in another container (dishpan) just in case of accident.
    All this just because my dog peed on the floor!

Ha! Well … thanks to the dog then. 😉 I actually do a lot of fermenting myself. I ferment pickles every year, ferment chicken feed, and make my own sourdough start with, yup, the yeast in the air. And all of these things ferment in NO time. Within days. I’m not sure who started this Enzyme cleaner thing but it really just seems kind of fundamentally flawed to me. The hunt continues for a really great urine cleaner Although I do have a fair amount of luck with mixing hydrogen peroxide, with baking soda and Dawn. At the very least it’s fun to watch it all fizz up when you spray it on the urine stains. ~ karen!

14. I was researching a related issue when I came across your article. Unfortunately, what you made was nothing more than citrus wine. The small amount of alcohol might make the mix a bit better than water but that’s about it.

If you want an enzyme product that works extremely well to remove “pet stains” and their odour, we have it. It’s called Envirozyme and has been used by Ontario vets for about 20 years. It’s non-toxic, safe and most importantly, it works.

By the way the best way to find “old” stains is with a black-light. Urea Salts fluoresce yellow under a black light.

15. Melanthia says:

There is more information to consider when making enzyme cleaners.

As with other fermented projects, you may need some trial and error to get this one right, including storing it in the right conditions and sometimes adding yeast, if the fermentation appears to be going poorly. It’s also IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER THAT CITRUS ENZYMES AREN’T UNIVERSAL CLEANERS, so this product will only work on some household stains!

While enzymatic cleaners won’t replace all your cleaning needs, they can be a great choice for a non-toxic, all-natural cleaning tool that’s especially useful for instant odor relief. When used in combination with other eco-friendly cleaning practices and attentive maintenance, they can keep your home looking and smelling fresh.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/getting-to-know-enzymatic-cleaners.html#ixzz3h1pDEoB8

16. Dorey says:

Awwww what a bummer! I was really hoping for some good reports, as I run a doggy daycare. I’m glad this was so well written, because after reading both blogs about this only to come up empty handed, at least I got a good laugh. Thanks for saving me 3 months. 🙂

17. minnie cheng says:

hi there ! so i think this is why ot didnt work…. it didnt ferment properly

what gas up at the end was yeast not your fruit , so they never fermented and it was yeast which ate the sugar not fruit enzyme itself

try this if you ever wanna give it a try again

1 part sugar
    3 part fruit
    10 part water

needs ti be shaken everyday so fruit get sugar evenly. if you dont wanna wait three months add yeast in beginning. if it stinks u need to add more sugar.

hooe it helpe and hope u dont loose faith yet !

• minnie cheng says:

by adding yeast it should cut.time from 3 months to two weeks btw

Thanks Minnie! I’ve actually taken to using and loving another cleaning product that does the same thing. Hydrogen peroxide mixed with baking soda and dish soap. Works great! ~ karen

18. Kevin says:

Hi Karen,
    Thanks for the objective input on the enzyme cleaner. So far the information I gathered from Chinese websites, blogs, and Youtubers are positively gleaming with joy over this product.
    I chanced upon enzyme cleaners while researching for more info on this commercial product called ETL 9 which has very similar claims to an enzyme cleaner, and one thing led to another and before I know it I’m jumping from sites to sites looking for more info.
    Thanks again, and I’ll review the ETL 9 cleaner when I get a bottle of it~

Hi Kevin! You may find it works for you and you love it but it I did not, lol. For pet stains I really find hydrogen peroxide, dish detergent and baking soda is best. Great results with that. ~ karen!

19. john says:

I enjoyed reading your test and your comical way of writing. I’m the owner of a dog kennel and we currently use Industrial enzyme cleaner which is very effective but costly currently $40 a gallon. I would have attempted to try DIY enzyme cleaner if it wasn’t for your investment of effort and time thank you so much for saving me the inconvenience.

You can always give it a shot John. Other people claim it works great, but for me? No. It did not. For ME the best thing to use (works just as great as store bought enzyme cleaner) is this … 16 0z Hydrogen Peroxide, 1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid, 1 Tablespoon of Baking Soda. Mix, soak, let dry. You’d need to mix up a bigger batch but this is one DIY I’d definitely recommend. ~ karen!

20. Marta says:

What a hilarious post! Very informative!

21. supplements for muscle building says:

Wow! After all I got a web site from where I be capable of really take valuable data
    regarding my study and knowledge.

my webpage – supplements for muscle building

22. facial skin care says:

What’s up everyone, it’s my first visit at this web site, and post is really fruitful designed for me, keep up posting these types
    of articles or reviews.

For a wonderful detailed explanation please check out this website; facial skin care

23. Carolyn says:

I know of a product that REALLY WORKS!! but it is expensive. I use it for my basement when my drain occasionally decides to back up. Usually after excessive heavy rains and the local storm drains back up. It is just rain run-off, but by the time it all gets into my basement, once it goes down it leaves a smelly slimy residue. The ONLY product I have ever found that cuts it like crazy, is a commercial product named ‘D-Molish’, sold by ‘Neutron Industries’ in Arizona. I don’t know if I am allowed to ‘advertise’ on this site, as it is my first visit here. I found you by doing a search on the internet for ‘enzyme cleansers’. Thank you for the ‘test lab’ results on the home made version. I hope I have been able to assist someone in some way with this information. By the way, it Does Work on Pet .. you know. It is normally sold to institutions for, well, similar cleansing issues. Thank you again! ~ Carolyn

24. Domi says:

To ferment anything properly, the ingredients need to be organic. The sprays, waxes, and chemicals killed the naturally occurring enzymes on your peels, so there was nothing to fed and nurture. The fermentation failed, not the recipe for a beautiful enzymatic cleaner.

Hi Domi. Thanks for your input. Not necessarily true though. For one thing, just because something is natural doesn’t always make it better or more beautiful. Poison Ivy for instance. ~ karen

25. Eve says:

Haha. You are funny.

I like the way you describe your experiment.

I really am looking for a way to get cat pee stench out of a Lazy Boy chair that I really don’t want to throw out because of a hopefully resolvable odor challenge.

I wouldn’t dream of using such a cleaner on anything other than pet excretions!

I can’t wait 3 months, though. I need the chair ready before the baby comes!

I might just have to go out and buy some Nok Out.

Hi Eve! I’d recommend “Nature’s Miracle” for that. It’s a store bought enzyme cleaner specific for cat urine. I’ve tried it and it works. Hope that helps. Good look with the pee and the baby! And the baby’s pee for that matter. ~ karen!

26. Thanks for this. Was going to try. Now, I am thinking, maybe not. However, I am the fool who will try it even when I think it won’t work just to say “I did.” LOL

As for cleaning the tub and sink. Dry baking soda and a terry wash cloth. Nothing is easier, cheaper or healthier. The key – Don’t get it wet. The rag and the baking soda just wipes the soap scum and crud right off the tub. If you get it wet, it doesn’t work without a bit of elbow grease. The day my daughter and I discovered this, we felt kinda stupid and awed by the ease of it. We had tried everything else (Scrubber bubbles, vinegar and BS, Simple green, scrubbing with comet until our arms fell off, brushes, etc.–Hadn’t heard of the Dawn/vinegar stuff yet.)

I use the vinegar citrus peels as a homemade “Fabreeze” and disenfector.

Norwex cloth and water for the windows and mirrors.

27. DB says:

You have to shake the containers every day. I put my containers in a spot where I would see them to remember. This is the same enzyme cleaner used for cat and dog urine. By three months, and if you shook the containers daily, there is very little left to strain – it is mostly liquid by then. I wouldn’t do this again. Too much trouble, but I did save about $100. bucks!

28. Chasity says:

I realize this is an old post,(found it while googling for my recipe for enzymes) but I figured I would write and share my experience. I make this all the time but I do the two week method with the yeast. I have never had any issues, and I have found it cleans grout like nothing else I have ever used. I use it on my cloth diapers, carpet stains, mopped with it, cleaned the bath tub. I have experimented with different citrus blends. I personally like using pineapple. I am not sure what you did wrong but it should smell like the citrus you used. If done correctly, it works very well. Just my two cents. I am sorry it did not work for you.

29. diysvh says:

I have been making and using the 2-week yeast added version for six months now. I love it. I use less of other detergents when usingh the enzyme, e.g., I tsp laundry soap plus 1/2 to 1 cup of enzyme for a big load of hardcore laundry, and it gets cleaner than anything else I’ve used, including Oxy wash products, bleaches, etc. It has been a godsend for our incontinent dog and carpets and we sprayed for ants with the citrus enzyme three weeks ago. Nothing has worked against the damned ants, but we haven’t seen one in three weeks. I also like to put some in a bath twice a week. feels like a micromassage with gentle exfoliation. Sorry yours didn’t work out.

30. Katana says:

I have just made my enzyme cleaner. I did not wait 3 months. I did mine in two weeks. Followed instructions. And whola.
    I have tested it and it has made a world of difference to my daily chores.

31. Tanis says:

An update a few months later – I made your concoction, but didn’t use it until just recently. I filtered out all the chunky bits with a coffee filter, and put it in a spray bottle. Just the other day my cat had an accident on my carpet. I blotted it up with paper towels, soaked it with the enzyme for half hour, then blotted up the enzyeme. Absolutely *no* smell. I am so grateful!!!!

32. vi says:

I made the two week version recently and it works better in my kitchen than any cleanser I’ve ever used as far as greasy and food stains. One wipe on my stove and it’s clean. I’ve tried plain vinegar before and there’s no comparison. It works great on kids handprints on doorfranes as well. I’ve to try in on windows or bathrooms though and wouldn’t want to mix it with comet or bleach. Mixed with water it doesn’t smell as strong as store bought sprays and slightly like vinegar. This will be ongong use in my kitchen.

33. Debi says:

Finally, the voice of reasoned restraint! THANK YOU. My suspicions confirmed about this magical cleaner. Now, about that licking problem… LOL

Forgive me a mini-vent, please? It’s disturbing that powwow (people of world-wide web) don’t take the time to discover whether the concoction the are making & using is safe. “Natural” does not equal safe. Scorpions are natural and I don’t consider them safe.

Thanks for saving me time and aggravation.

Debi

34. calliek says:

I know you said you didn’t care how this is supposed to work but the explanation is very simple. As you mentioned, yeast was supposed to eat the sugar but there’s another step that maybe wasn’t clear. Here’s the simplified process:
    Step: 1 yeast + sugar = alcohol + carbon dioxide (the reason why you don’t tighten the lid)
    Step 2: alcohol + bacteria = vinegar + water
    (Both the yeast and the bacteria should have been found on the orange peels)
    So you are basically making citrus scented homemade vinegar which, as a previous commenter pointed out, you can do much easier using plain white vinegar.

35. Jo Daniels says:

Blot up as much of the urine as you can, but this works on old stuff, too. Place in a glass bowl or jar: 2 tsp. baking soda, 2 small drops liquid dish soap, 16 oz. hydrogen peroxide. GENTLY stir until soda is dissolved. Soak entire area down with it. Don’t rub or scrub! let dry…. for 24 hours..without disturbing. After 24 hours, gently blot up (again: don’t rub or scrub). Allow to totally air dry. Odor is gone. Good on floors, rugs, couches……. I’ve even used it on persian carpets! I have a 16 yr old cat who is making many mistakes now, also a psyco cat who hates the others & the litter box…and a mischievous kitty who just wants to irritate the psyco one by peeing in psyco’s favorite places. IT WORKS!

36. Maria says:

I love the The Art of Doing Stuff #2, We love you for doing this and alerting us to a complete waste of time!

37. Roxy Bee says:

Thanks for sharing something that didn’t work! I am so freakin tired of bloggers ignoring the question of efficacy and just going on about “OMG LOOOKIE YOU CAN DO XYZ!!!!” Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should– it really should be the pinterest motto. I think I’ll make a board with that title. 😀 you are an inspiration!

38. Chris says:

Thanks for experimenting with the cleaner! I’m a Pinterest junkie and want to believe in all the great DIY stuff people share, but have found some (like making a cotton ball holder from an old candle jar) are just more work than they’re worth. Besides, someone’s gotta keep the economy going by buying the enzymatic cleaners others produce!

Thanks for experimenting with the cleaner! I’m a Pinterest junkie and want to believe in all the great DIY stuff people share, but have found some (like making a cotton ball holder from an old candle jar) are just more work than they’re worth. Besides, someone’s gotta keep the economy going by buying the enzymatic cleaner others produce!

And I second @Brenda’s recommendation for the de-skunking concoction. My terrier was hit point-blank last month and the hydrogen peroxide/baking soda/dish soap mix did the trick!

39. Renee says:

I second the person the said woolite oxy deep. Not organic, but did a great job of getting dark rabbit pee stains out of an off-white carpet.

40. Elle says:

I have an acrylic bath tub that is hard to clean since there are so many products you are not allowed to use on it as it will ruin it.

I hate chemical commercial cleaners – just being in the same room makes my lungs burn and make me nauseous.

in the past few weeks I have been using a really good homemade bathtub cleaner (haven’t tried it anywhere else in the house yet – recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart):
    Baking soda, a little bit of water enough to make a paste, 1 drop of liquid soap (the kind you use on yourself) and a drop or two of essential oil such as lavender (my favorite), tea tree oil or some other to your liking. Mix it all up.
    Scrub the bathtub with some non-abrasive (for acrylic tub) sponge/brush/etc and the above mentioned paste and wash with water.

7 minutes tops including making the concoction and you have a clean, nice smelling bathtub.

41. hometipster.com says:

Ha-You made my day! Wait, 3 months? I can’t wait that long for anything (except my children and I didn’t have any say about that) I met my husband and 7 weeks later we were married…been 31 years now. This was waaaay too funny! Where did you see this recipe again?

42. Stephanie says:

I tried it about a year ago and came to the same conclusion. When I blogged about it I thought about trying again using different fruit to see if it worked better, but never did because I love my other DIY cleaners better (mostly made of vinegar).

43. Barbie says:

LOL I had to read this one to my husband! So glad you did this so I didn’t have to! Funny Funny!