A tiny air conditioner for a tiny space.

DIY-air-conditioner

If you ask people in the rest of the world to describe the weather in Canada, 90% of them would say it’s cold with a chance of hockey.  Even though I made that percentage up, based on my own experience I know it’s true.  I think there’s some confusion, in the United States especially, due to the whole celsius versus fahrenheit thing.  When we say it’s 30 degrees in Canada in the middle of summer we don’t mean 30 degrees fahrenheit. We mean 30 degrees celsius.  Although some of us do mean 30 degrees fahrenheit because even though it’s been over 40 years since the country switched from imperial to metric, most residents are still kind of suspicious of it.

Collectively we seem to have agreed to accept celsius as a measurement of temperature and kilometres as a measurement of distance.  Beyond that we’re mostly confused.  If you asked me to tell you what I weigh in kilograms I’d have to jump on one of those hanging grocery store scales and ask someone to read it out loud to me.

But back to this whole temperature thing.  30 degrees celsius, which it regularly is in my part of Southern Ontario during the summer, is approximately 86 degrees fahrenheit.  When you factor in the humidity that’s common around here, the day could feel more like 101.  So air conditioning is not a luxury in many parts of Canada, it’s a necessity.  Yes.  Summers in a lot of Canada are hot.  Very hot.

But air conditioning is a necessity that not everyone has.  I, for one, didn’t have central air conditioning until 3 years ago.  Up until then I had a window unit in the bedroom and the dining room and a really good relationship with my air conditioner owning neighbours.  In the summer you can tell how many families don’t have air conditioning by counting the number of people sitting cross legged inside the grocery store ice cream freezer.

The mini air conditioner I’m going to show you today might not cool off a whole house, but it will help cool off a tent (which can get STIFLING hot) while you’re camping or in my case … a chicken coop.

People always ask me how I keep the chickens warm in the winter, but chickens don’t need anything to keep them warm in the winter.  They’re fine with the cold.  It’s the heat that’ll kill them.  So at least 3 times a summer, I have nights where I have to keep their coop doors open and run a fan on them.  I have a screen that goes in place of the coop doors, and even though it’s really secure I don’t like the idea of raccoons running around being able to see the chickens in there at night so I’m constantly waking up and running down to check on them.

After about a year of researching different options I’ve decided I’ll probably install a solar powered roof vent.  I don’t know when I’ll get around to doing that so for now I’m using this ridiculous homemade redneck air conditioner.

It costs about $20 to make and works.  The ridiculous thing works.  The bigger your cooler, the more ice it can hold, the more effective it will be.  Mine is just a tiny one because I wanted it to fit in the coop.

Here’s how you do it and what you need.

DIY mini air conditioner

Materials

1 cooler

1 small fan

1, 4″ PVC elbow

Drill

Jigsaw

Silicone

redneck-air-conditioner

You need to cut holes in the top of the cooler for both the fan and the PVC elbow, so put them on the cooler and mark their size with a pencil.

redneck-air-conditioning-2

Before cutting the holes out with a jigsaw, drill a large hole into the lid.  This will give you a place to put your jigsaw blade in to start cutting.

redneck-air-conditioner-3

Cut your circles out.  I use this Bosch. Bosch makes the VERY best jigsaws around. Ask anyone.

redneck-air-conditioner-4

Grab your PVC elbow …

diy-air-conditioning

… and your fan, and put them in the holes to make sure they fit.

mini-chicken-coop-air-conditioner

If you cut correctly the fit will be tight.  To keep everything sealed and in place, run a bead of silicone around the elbow and the fan.

mini-air-conditioner

If you wanted to make this extra fancy you could cut the plug off of the fan and wire it to a 12V (car) battery.  That way it can run even when you don’t have a power source nearby.  Like in a tent.  To be super-extra-crazy fancy you can wire the 12 V battery to a solar panel so your battery will always be charged.

tent-air-conditioner

In case you were wondering this is what it looks like from the underside of the lid.

Just add ice.  You now have a mini air conditioner.

blowing

I know there’s going to be some smart ass that says That ain’t no air conditioner! An air conditioner removes heat from the air using a discombobulator skimmy coil, it doesn’t blow cool air around, that’s just a fan with some ice, NOT the same thing.

To you I say, suck it.

I gave the air conditioner a test run the other night in the coop.

Coop-temperature

The air began at 87 F (30.5 C) in the coop and after two hours was 74 F (23 C).

temperatures

Bedtime.

chickens-with-air-conditioning

It’s compact and easy to move around, doesn’t take up much space in the shed when I’m not using it and doesn’t weigh much even when it’s filled with ice.  Of course, I have no idea what it weighs in kilograms.  2 pairs of hockey skates, maybe?

[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”5342563″]

1. Nancey says:

I’m thinking of making one of these to put into my dog’s dog house I’m currently building. Do you have any recommendations of how to hook it up to solar power? What size solar panel? Do you need a battery if using a solar panel? Any instructions for this would be most appreciated.

2. Daniel says:

Ha ha! Very nice, I got much fun by seeing that hens are taking AC air. But the AC is really fine for any little space such as chicken house, little firm, little cabinet or car

Thanks

3. Linda says:

You are absolutely incredible Karen. I look forward to receiving your posts every single day. You make me laugh.

4. Edith says:

What a cool idea! I had never heard of such a contraption. Will file it under “heat survival skills”. That would be a great idea for a camper or tent.

You’re such a good chicken mom!

5. Brent says:

A small improvement. Instead of siliconing the elbow in place, use a small piece of pipe, then put the elbow onto the pipe. That way you can set the cooler wherever it will fit and still be able to direct the cooled air wherever you need it to go.

6. Patty says:

I think if this was truly a Redneck Air Conditioner it would be made out of the Styrofoam coolers you can pick up at the gas stations and the pvc would be duct taped. But fun concept none the less.

7. Anniepalmer says:

I’m thinking of using this on our 30′ carver boat

8. Nancy Blue Moon says:

If the girls are happy with it..I’m happy with it!

9. Evalyn says:

I must object to calling this a Redneck Cooler. Duct Tape was not used – everyone knows if you don’t use duct tape, it ain’t redneck. Also, you use appropriate tools that pose no opportunity for maiming oneself in the process. And although I have faith that beer was consumed, nowhere do I see evidence of same. My sister in law, who lives in the wilds of Alaska, built herself one of these from a old styrofoam cooler, a partial role of duct tape, a dull pocket knife and a six pack of Coors. It works well, blowing cold air directly on her beer while she applies pressure to the cut on her leg. How hard can it be?

10. Vicki says:

Wow, what a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

11. Kelli says:

Would dry ice be overkill, Karen? Or too cold?

12. Sabrina says:

Good on ya, Karen! I made one last summer with a styrofoam cheapie and filled it with frozen bottles of water. I was desperate while working in the shed building shelves and reorganizing (where did all the CRAP come from??!!!). Worked like a “breeze”! ;-) I’m in El Paso, TX, and I swear the shed could double as your pizza oven in the summer!

13. Amy in StL says:

I believe that’s generally known as a swamp cooler. My aunt used to put a pan with a block of ice in it in the windowsill. She then put a fan blowing on the block of ice into the living room. I remember as a kid thinking that was the coolest idea ever.

14. Mary W says:

I accidentally left my Cockatiel in her very well built cage on our completely screened back porch one night. Next morning, I found the cage bars pulled apart and nothing but feathers left and the wet footprints of a raccoon as it squeezed out the cat flap door. It must have dipped in the pool before leaving to add insult to injury. My brother said they poop in his pool all the time. Raccoons are tremendous predators!

15. Lynn (really spelled w/ an "e", but somebody else already has that spelling on here) says:

You wrote: “I don’t like the idea of raccoons running around being able to see the chickens in there at night…” Are raccoons predators? P.S. Very cool redneck AC!

• Jan in Waterdown says:

Raccoons may be cute when they’re young but they are major predators, incredibly destructive and determined. I admire their tenacity but would not regret their quick and sudden demise. If they didn’t kill the chickens, they sure as heck would grab the eggs. And poop all over the place as a parting gift! Our neighbours feed them . . . grrrrrrr . . .

• Sandy says:

Take a Pill. Sudden demise, seriously! Ass

• Jan in Waterdown says:

Lovely . . . thanks . . .

I’ve gotta say as someone who lives with raccoons throwing food around, eating my pond fish and regularly trying to get into my chicken coop to kill my chickens … I’d also be pretty fine with their demise. I’m with Jan with this one. ~ karen!

16. Jody says:

That is so cool. What did the girls think of it?

17. mickey says:

Freakin’ awesome!!

18. Elen G says:

“In the summer you can tell how many families don’t have air conditioning by counting the number of people sitting cross legged inside the grocery store ice cream freezer.”

Bwahaahahaha. I’m looking at my chest freezer in a whole new light. Count Freeze-ula.

19. Cred says:

Great solution! We’re lucky the duck house is well shaded, well the whole lot is, but it does prompt me to go check the temps in their house. You’re definitely right, most people worry about how to keep birds warm in the winter but the problem really is keeping them cool in summer.

20. Molly says:

This invention is literally for the birds.

Which I don’t have. I do wish I had chickens. I’ve got a couple coolers like the one you do. Just need the birds. nicely done!