Eggs in a Basket

Eggs 2

Yup. Eggs in a basket. I’m feeling quite literal today.

When I first got my chickens, before they even sprouted real feathers, I knew once they started laying eggs I was going to present each of my neighbours and family members with a beautiful basket of eggs. Something that would say “Thank you for being such a good neighbour. Thank you for being my friend.  Thank you for not ratting to the cops about the coop full of livestock in my backyard which may or not be legal.

I don’t really have anything to be worried about.  Most of my neighbours have one thing or another that they’re doing that’s illegal.  There’s the recording studio across the street, the addition built too close to my property line  and of course there’s the house built entirely out of human bones.  So if anyone were to rat on me, I could just rat back.

Even so.  I figured it was  probably best to keeping the peace over my illegal ranching with some eggs,  a wicker basket and a bow.  Like Mahatma Martha with a little Clint Eastwood thrown in for good measure.  A goodwill badass basically.

Then a few weeks ago I happened to mention to one of my neighbours that I was getting eggs now and had scrambled eggs that morning with them.  She hugged her toddler closer to her thigh, made a squinchy face and said something that was very close to “ick”.  So scratch  her off the list.

I told my mother the story and she made a barfing sound.  Like blechhhhh, only with more gurgles.  I thought this indicated she thought my neighbour was disgusting. As it turns out, she thinks my eggs are disgusting.  She’s grossed out by them too.  This is a woman who doesn’t think food has gone bad until it starts to talk back to her.

Then my sister, the one who helped me build the coop also dissed me and my eggs.  I gave her a basket like the one you see here for helping me with the chicken coop.  She LOVED the presentation.  She gushed over how great the eggs looked and the little sprig of thyme, but when I asked her a few days later how the eggs tasted there was a long pause and then she mumbled something inaudible.  Huh?  What was that?   She fed them to unsuspecting children.

Back up the Zoloft truck, yet another person who has backyardeggophobia.

Eggs 3

There are plenty of other neighbours who have specifically asked if they could try the eggs.  They’re excited about them. And even the fella, who was a bit leery of the eggs at first now eats them almost every day.

But a LOT of people have the same reaction as my family and neighbour.

They’re weirded out by an egg that doesn’t come from the cooler in a grocery store.

So out of curiosity … does the thought of eating these eggs gross you out?

Eggs 1

Don’t worry about offending me with your answer.  Chances are I wasn’t going to send you eggs anyway.  Plus, if you’re not offended by my Frozen Yogourt Tampon post, how could I be offended by your honest opinion on eggs?

1. Glenda says:

Heck, I pay extra to get fresh eggs from one of my students. They taste so much better. I’m even kicking around the idea of my own chickens, but I have that crazy german shepard puppy, so I don’t think that would work out well for the chickies.

2. Kelly says:

I would take farm/ranch/backyard fresh, homegrown any day. I too am amazed at how disconnected people have become with where their food originates. I prefer to place my trust in the actual producer than in a long, long line of others involved in the whole food system that is supposedly structured to protect. A well intended program has become more powerful than it was ever meant to. Okay and as I step off the soap box, (sorry) that is the most fabulous picture of the eggs in the basket. It would make a nice print to hang in the kitchen.
    Kelly

3. Jessy says:

I would love to try a back yard egg but never have. After watching Food Inc I have become more concerned with where my food comes from. And I know now that just because you bought it at a store, doesn’t make it safe to eat (hello cantaloupe, ground beef, ground turkey (although if cooked to the proper temp was perfectly safe)) Unfortunately I don’t know anyone with chickens, and our farmers market is one lonely stand with about 5 types of veggies. I think the safest food is one that the owner is proud of.

4. amber P says:

I LOVE fresh eggs and prefer them to grocery store eggs. They are so rich and fluffy and creamy. My husband refuses to eat them because they’re not pasteurized.

5. How strange. My grandmother had chickens, but no coop. This meant that sometimes when we found the eggs they were a little old, we still ate them and I”m still alive! Though, I did almost die after having one really old egg explode on me once. I pray you never come across such an egg. . .

6. Jen says:

Huh. The eggs in the store must come from… what, exactly? I’d have thought they came from chickens laid in someone’s yard, even if that “yard” is a large chicken farm. Apparently, I’ve been wrong about where eggs come from, if your chicken-laid eggs are inedible. But assuming I’m right about how eggs are produced, I’d eat your eggs and brag about it to my neighbors so I can see the illogical squishy faces, too.

7. Amanda says:

Before I had my first fresh eggs, I’ll admit I was a little creeped out. They definitely are not a sterile and “clean” feeling as those wrapped in a box in the fridge section at the store. But, once I pulled those first eggs out from under warm chicken rumps and marveled at how unique each one was? Well, then I was still creeped out and stuck them in the fridge. Eventually, I realized I needed to suck it up and eat them, because these precious eggs weren’t going to keep forever. And when I did? SO much better than crappy grocery store eggs. I’m a convert. I’ll eat ’em whenever I can get ’em. I wish I could have a coop!

8. Maggie says:

Offended or grossed out would never cross my mind! Jealous is a word to describe my thoughts about your eggs and your sweet little fuzzy chickens. Personally, I think you are surrounded by people that are complete nut jobs. They are lucky to have you in their life to give them a little perspective!

9. Megan says:

Not only would I LOVE to try some of your eggs, I would love to have my own backyard chickens. Unfortunately I really can’t do it where I live.

Eggs are the one thing that I would pay big money (relatively speaking) for. That is eggs made from chickens that get to run around and eat bugs etc.

10. JulieB says:

I would love to have fresh eggs. In the interested of posting objectivity, I have researched getting my own chickens (loosely), my kids’ 4th grade teacher incubated and hatched chicks every year, I live in a college town in a farming region in Illinois, my grandfather became the grocery store butcher after losing a coin-toss with his brother, and I saw a calf being born (breach birth – they had to tie the legs to a post and lean on the rope to finish the job) when I was 10, so I may not be a fair representation of the population in general. I also want my own bees. 😀

11. julie says:

My chickens just started laying, and they’re the best eggs ever! My sister, however, is entirely unimpressed and grossed-out. Too bad she’s never gonna get cookies/brownies/cakes/ANYTHING made with my perfect and tasty eggies.

12. Luanne says:

I wish I was your neighbour. I wouldn’t rat you out for having clucking chickens or refuse your generous offering of fresh eggs from healthy well cared for chickens. And, I’m sure you wouldn’t rat me out for having a wind chime. Yes, my neighbour complained.

13. Ruth says:

I don’t get it. What’s with those people? At work, we scrabble and elbow and push to be the first on our egg-lady’s list. I think THAT is normal behaviour.

14. Teresa says:

I buy my eggs off the streets of downtown Winnipeg (seriously, my egg farmer happens to work downtown so I meet him outside his building on my lunch to make a deal). I would have no problem eating your eggs, Karen. In fact, I cringe at storebought eggs now. They are so colourless and flat. Yum to local chicken eggs!

15. Paulina J! says:

All I have to say is WEIRDOS (with all due respect to your Mom). Don’t they know these are fine quality eggs that they are getting for FREE! I would kill to get eggs from you. They’re healthier and fresh. Do they know what happens with chickens that lay eggs for stores? Guess not.

16. Christina says:

What, are people actually afraid of fresh eggs? Is this a thing? Jesus, I had no idea. Blowin’ my mind as always Karen, and keep those eggs for yourself!

17. LR says:

My theory: most people are so far removed from the production of food that having to think about where their food came from (which, let’s be honest, is a little gross from a certain perspective) is too much for them.

People like vegetables without any trace of the dirt they were grown in, fruit without any indication that a bug has so much as looked at it, and any animal product to be safely behind plastic or styrofoam. We’d (temporarily, I think) have a lot more vegetarians in the world if everyone had to butcher their own meat.

18. I used to have chicken and the coop…well I still have the coop….and we did eat the fresh eggs./they are great to use in a cake……at first my DH would give me the smash face look….but then I would tell him….he had been eating them for a looonnnngggg time……
    Sorry to say….the chickens have left the house!!!! My rooster became so mean…I couldn’t go into the coop w/o him trying to spur me ( and did)….so I let em’ out….then I couldn’t stand the chicken poop on my front porch, cars, fence, house… ….sooo …some southern border people came and took them…..

19. Clare says:

Karen, I would so eat your eggs! How bizarre, I never imagined anyone would be grossed out by home laid eggs!

One of my favorite things as a child was to go and stay with my Grandparents, so I could help look after their chickens. They had Rhode Island Reds, which laid beautiful big brown eggs and golden yolks. Yum yum.

I always thought there was something magical about the whole process and I didn’t gross me out at all. I loved their feathers, and the soft comforting noises they made when they were just hanging out. Loved the cackling they made after they laid, and finding eggs in their boxes.

My Grandpa always maintained they laid more when I was there.

Grandpa kept the whole family in eggs, we never had store bought ones. Where do people think the store ones come from? [whispers] A chicken’s butt. Same place. Except it isn’t because personally, I would rather eat an egg that comes from a lovingly raised chicken, than one that comes from a mass produced source, however humane that might be.

And the thought of battery-produced eggs? Now THAT grosses me out!

20. Gettinby says:

I’m confused. At first, I thought your neighbor just didn’t like eggs. I’ve met lots of those crazy people, but people don’t like fresh eggs? That’s like saying you don’t like home grown tomatoes! Crazy talk. Just pure crazy talk.

21. maggie says:

Karen

Forgot to mention, your neighbours are crazy for negative comments, the wrapping of your gift to them is worth an acceptance with pleasure. Great job Karen now if only I lived back in Fundas.

22. taria says:

your backyard/questionable chicken in the city problem is the same as my sister deals with in San Diego. I miss eating and baking with those wonderful fresh eggs. They are beautiful and good to eat. It is tough to eat those crummy grocery eggs after eating ‘real’ ones.

23. Liz S. says:

I would gladly be your neighbor and accept some yummy eggs. I miss living in the country where everyone had a farm and good food.

24. Annio says:

Perhaps if your neighbors and family who are turning down your eggs knew the appalling conditions under which the chickens that lay grocery store eggs are kept and their cruel treatment they’d change their minds. They are are kept in tiny, tiny cages, never outside. Their beaks are clipped so they can’t peck their neighbors due to the stress of their living conditions. It’s Kafkaesque but true.

25. Babi Carol says:

Alas, there is an entire world of folks out there who think hamburger comes from the grocery store! My own 85-year old mother wanted to know what was wrong with my home-grown eggs… the yolks were SO yellow! Had to ‘splain to her that was the way God intended them. I usually sell at work what we get minus what we’re eating. Some people appreciate a good egg. BTW, my son spent time in the UK and said they don’t even refrigerate their eggs. They’re not falling over dead in droves, far as I can tell.

26. Deb J. says:

When I was a teen we lived on a farm in Saskatchewan and my mother kept chickens (plus turkeys and geese – another story). If I could eat eggs from chickens that ate grasshoppers (total ick – so thick you couldn’t walk without being covered – with grasshoppers I mean), I would have no trouble with yours. Plus none of my mom’s were that wonderful Cheez Whiz colour.

27. Lynn says:

I would eat them on a boat, I would eat them with a goat(or however that goes). OF COURSE I would choose your eggs over grocery store eggs! Sheesh. Hope your poor little girls aren’t feeling snubbed.

Beautiful presentation btw Karen!

28. Katharine says:

You inspired me to start eating fresh eggs. I grew up with chickens (and hated them! They were noisy and stinky and I didn’t eat eggs- of any origin- at the time.) After seeing your side to side pictures I was sold. If you were my neighbor I’d offer to buy your eggs. Maybe I could get a better deal than the $4.25 doz. down at my neighborhood farmers market. They are worth $.35 a piece though. Yes they are.

29. Ashley Vice says:

I’m not super fond of eggs to begin with, the texture of the yolk just doesn’t do it for me, and that is the only reason I don’t think I would eat those kind of eggs just fried or scrambled.

I would probably be cool using them for an egg white omelet and I think baking with those rich-looking yolks probably yields unbelievable results, but I don’t think there’s any way I could stomach eating an orange egg yolk.

But then again, I’m terrible at baking and forever forgetting to eat breakfast. So, what do I know?

It wouldn’t be the backyard aspect that would shy me away, though.

30. Rosalie Davis says:

When I was growing up, my mom was always pawning egg cartons on to whoever came by the house. Who doesn’t want a free dozen eggs? If you need it, I have my mom’s recipe for angel food cake using 12 eggs plus the corresponding recipe for jelly roll requiring 12 egg yolks. Maybe it’s 14.

31. Shelley says:

It is astounding how disconnected to food people are these days. It really blows my mind how many people have no idea, or would rather not think about, where their food comes from and what happens before it winds up in the grocery store all neatly packaged, and supposedly safe.
    Store-bought eggs are terrible once you have had fresh, and they come from awful conditions, not to mention who knows how old they are. We are raising chickens ourselves, as do my mother and stepfather. There is really no comparison, people have no idea what they are missing, and all because of some silly disconnected mindset.
    Props to you for raising your own!!

32. Maggie says:

I would totally eat those eggs! I’ve been trying to find anyone local that has fresh eggs in my town!

33. sandra says:

Looks like I am the first to admit that the thought of backyard eggs kinda makes me gag. Well, ok, eggs in general kinda make me gag, but there’s something about a backyard egg that really pushes the envelope. I suppose if your chickens are properly vaccinated to prevent any type of bacteria or God-awful, limb-losing disease, I might be pursuaded to try one … might … no guarantee.

34. Alicia says:

Have they *tried* them and don’t like the taste, or are they afraid to try them in the first place?? I’m a bit confused, I would LOVE home laid eggs.. we get all our eggs farm fresh and boy are they way better than the mass produced grocery store eggs — even stuf fyou make, baking etc.. tastes better.

35. Megan says:

I would totally eat backyard eggs! My aunt in Seattle has a farm, and whenever we go to visit, we get to eat her lovely fresh eggs. I love all the different coloured shells!

My guess is people might be less grossed out by the idea that they were laid in your backyard than the idea that they haven’t been through the rigorous screening that commercial eggs go through, to make sure none have little abnormalities or have been fertilized or something.

Random question that this made me think of: do your backyard chickens produce a consistent size of eggs, or are some bigger and some smaller? Does each bird produce a consistent size?

36. Lisa Firke says:

Your eggs are wonderful and I’d gladly eat them. As it is, I just have to feast my eyes on the pretty pictures.

37. Katy says:

I of course don’t have any problem with eating eggs from my own chooks (or any other garden hens) which is just as well with 40 of the little darlings. It amazes me that some people don’t seem to realise that ALL eggs are expelled through an arse… Once you’ve converted your neighbours just be sure not to mention that it’s the same whole EVERYTHING else comes out of…

For a real crowd pleasing conversation try mentioning that boy chickens don’t have a penis…

38. maggie says:

Karen

I too eat eggs purchased from the egg lady up the road from me. The eggs are sometimes minutes old and she is just washing them as I get to her farm. I have to order a week or 2 ahead of time as the city folk who come up to their cottages in our neck of the woods buy them by the dozens in fact I take them to mt sister Marilyn who just lives up the road from you. The fresh eggs have wonderful colour and flavour so, you go girl!

39. Krista says:

You make me want to buy chickens so I can give people pretty gift baskets full of eggs. I don’t understand why they would think that is gross, unless they just don’t like eggs. People are silly.

40. Amy Schmucker says:

Oh, I love fresh eggs. My neighbors loved loved loved getting fresh free eggs from me.

41. Megan says:

Wow, I wouldn’t have ever thought to be grossed out by fresh and happy backyard eggs! I want to have my own chickens and eat my own eggs someday 🙂

42. Where do I sign up?? I can trade asparagus, peppers, mounds of heres, and most recently, scads of roma tomatoes! Yummy.We could combine them and make a killer quiche!

43. Laura says:

I grew up with eggs from happy chickens…I would certainly accept a basket 🙂 Do you ship??

44. GG says:

Hi Karen — I too would LOVE home-grown eggs! Spent many a day as a kid on cousin’s farms in SK “Picking eggs” – and then having them for breakfast, lunch, etc!! I look forward to your daily posts — You’re the Best!

45. Tara says:

I love farm fresh eggs! But, I can relate to those who think they are weird – a few years ago my sister let her kids have a pet duck, and they always ate her eggs – and for some reason it totally grossed me out. I tried one and could admit that it tasted the same as a chicken egg but it still was just a yuck idea for me. Weird.

46. Karla says:

If I was your neighbour I would be at your front door begging for fresh eggs. Being afraid of fresh eggs is weird.

47. blake says:

So I know these are your loved ones and that they are educated probably very kind people…but are you KIDDING ME? WTH!! fresh eggs are the mecca of breakfast fixins…what we have to go through just to get farm fresh eggs in my little holler is near miracle worthy just for the taste of the best eggs out there. Cook em up for your peeps and let them do a blind tasting and see if they still shiver with disgust over a fresh egg. Sheesh people. I would eat your eggs over store bought any day Karen!
    keep the faith!

48. Becca says:

Fresh eggs are delicious! If I could figure out a way to build a coop and make our yard chicken proof I’d be on it. Alas, two of our neighbours would have a bird. The desire for fresh eggs from my own back yard chickens is tempting but it would probably be safer to move in next to you. Any idea if the bone house owners are taking offers?

49. Amber says:

I love fresh eggs and have a friend that brings me some from her coop every week. I always thought myself sophisticated for eating local and fresh. I have never even thought to be grossed out by it!

50. susan w says:

How many eggs are you gathering daily and how quickly are you consuming/gifting them? The people that I knew who had chicken eggs (as opposed to carton eggs) kept them on the counter in pretty baskets, wire holders, etc; said they didn’t need fridge. I think eggs fresh from the #%@*^(@ are lovely. They are the best for poached eggs – not so much for hard boiled.