The 10 most common phobias. Do you think you suffer from any of them?
(def.) – The fear of Friday the 13th.
“Frigg” – The Norse goddess whom Friday is named after.
“Triskaidekaphobia” – The fear of 13.
Millions of Americans are afraid of Friday the 13th but it still isn’t among the most common phobias. People who suffer from friggatriskaidekaphobia suffer everything from a little bit of anxiety to a feeling of doom to full-on panic attacks when Friday the 13th approaches. Which are the exact symptoms I show whenever I realize the dishwasher needs to be emptied.
Take a gander at this list of phobias and see how you and your phobias stack up against the 10 most common.
10 Most Common Phobias
- The fear of spiders.
- This phobia tends to affect women more than men.
- The fear of snakes.
- Often attributed to evolutionary causes, personal experiences, or cultural influences.
- The fear of heights.
- This fear can lead to anxiety attacks and avoidance of high places.
- The fear of situations in which escape is difficult.
- This may include crowded areas, open spaces, or situations that are likely to trigger a panic attack. People will begin avoiding these trigger events, sometimes to the point that they cease leaving their home.
- The fear of dogs.
- This phobia is often associated with specific personal experiences, such as being bitten by a dog during childhood.
- The fear of thunder and lightening.
- Also known as Brontophobia, Tonitrophobia, or Ceraunophobia.
- The fear of injections.
- Like many phobias, this fear often goes untreated because people avoid the triggering object and situation.
8. Social Phobias:
- The fear of social situations.
- In many cases, these phobias can become so severe that people avoid events, places, and people that are likely to trigger an anxiety attack.
- The fear of flying.
- Often treated using exposure therapy, in which the client is gradually and progressively introduced to flying.
- The fear of germs or dirt.
- May be related to obsessive-compulsive disorder
Let’s hear them. Do you have 1, 2, 3 or none of the top 10 phobias? Or perhaps you have the be all and end all of phobias Phobophobia – the fear of phobias.