The Most Common Phobias.

The 10 most common phobias. Do you think you suffer from any of them?

Classic Friday the 13th goalie Mask on black background.

friggatriskaidekaphobia

(def.) – The fear of Friday the 13th.

“Frigg” – The Norse goddess whom Friday is named after.

“Triskaidekaphobia” – The fear of 13.

Millions of Americans are afraid of Friday the 13th but it still isn’t among the most common phobias. People who suffer from friggatriskaidekaphobia  suffer everything from a little bit of anxiety to a feeling of doom to full-on panic attacks when Friday the 13th approaches. Which are the exact symptoms I show whenever I realize the dishwasher needs to be emptied.

Take a gander at this list of phobias and see how you and your phobias stack up against the 10 most common.

10 Most Common Phobias

1. Arachnophobia:

• The fear of spiders.
  • This phobia tends to affect women more than men.

2. Ophidiophobia:

• The fear of snakes.
  • Often attributed to evolutionary causes, personal experiences, or cultural influences.

3. Acrophobia:

• The fear of heights.
  • This fear can lead to anxiety attacks and avoidance of high places.

4. Agoraphobia:

• The fear of situations in which escape is difficult.
  • This may include crowded areas, open spaces, or situations that are likely to trigger a panic attack. People will begin avoiding these trigger events, sometimes to the point that they cease leaving their home.

5. Cynophobia:

• The fear of dogs.
  • This phobia is often associated with specific personal experiences, such as being bitten by a dog during childhood.

6. Astraphobia:

• The fear of thunder and lightening.
  • Also known as Brontophobia, Tonitrophobia, or Ceraunophobia.

7. Trypanophobia:

• The fear of injections.
  • Like many phobias, this fear often goes untreated because people avoid the triggering object and situation.

8. Social Phobias:

• The fear of social situations.
  • In many cases, these phobias can become so severe that people avoid events, places, and people that are likely to trigger an anxiety attack.

9. Pteromerhanophobia:

• The fear of flying.
  • Often treated using exposure therapy, in which the client is gradually and progressively introduced to flying.

10. Mysophobia:

(list source)

Let’s hear them. Do you have 1, 2, 3 or none of the top 10 phobias?  Or perhaps you have the be all and end all of phobias Phobophobia – the fear of phobias.

1. Trish R says:

I’m working on overcoming 1. I’ve decided to have a working relationship with spiders. They do their part and stay out of sight, I’ll send a fly or two there way.

Definitely have number 2. and have no intention whatsoever of trying to work things out. I grew up in south Florida and have enough ‘fond’ memories to last me a lifetime.

I was going to say I have number 3., but I don’t. What I really have is a fear of falling, not a fear of heights. I can go high up, just don’t push me, and I’m good.;) No, seriously though, don’t push.

2. Denise Leavens says:

This is me, too – “exact symptoms I show whenever I realize the dishwasher needs to be emptied”

3. jenny says:

I have a phobia of phobias. Spiders get free reign in my house. Unless they are of the poisonous sort. Of course. But I currently have a basement spider who is doing a great job of collecting all the other bugs that live in my 100 year old basement.

4. Mickey says:

Agoraphobia……For 7 years, I could not go anywhere unless my husband or one of my children came with me. Although there was one exception. I could visit my next door neighbour as long as no one else was at her house. That was about 30 years ago. The agoraphobia is still there but not in any way as bad as it used to be.

5. Thera says:

7. Trypanophobia:
    The fear of injections.

And definitely untreated, I just received a call from my doctor asking why I hadn’t gone for my blood tests yet, yeah I will get right on that :(

6. Shirley says:

I’ve been deathly afraid of snakes since I was a child. Last winter in Florida I walked into the living room to find a 4′ black racer curled up in front of the TV, and then he started to move toward the bedroom. I was alone in the house with 8 dinner guests expected for dinner within the hour, and I still needed to shower and change! Five tense minutes later, after a lot of snake-herding with my husband’s 4 Hybrid (makes a heck of a noise on a ceramic floor) and with the snake stopping and rearing his head a foot in the air several times to look at me, I had him back out the open patio door. I had truly faced and dealt with my worst fear and, as a result, I am not *quite* as afraid of snakes now. You don’t know what you can do till you have to!

7. Mindy says:

Nope, I don’t see mine. I’m deathly afraid of moths. Those mothereffers are CREEPY and I HATE them.

Number two is things that pop. Balloons. Champagne corks. Tube biscuits. You should have seen me attempting to open a can of biscuits the other day. Tube on counter, my body arched as far away from it as possible, hand stretched as far away from my body as possible, spoon on seam, head turned away, eyes closed, telling myself in my head how stupid and ridiculous the whole situation was, while attempting to make my hand push hard enough on the cardboard to open the stupid effing thing. Ridiculous.

8. Tisha says:

Cockroaches. Not the little ones, the big flying ones. They scare the ever loving crap out of me. I can deal with snakes, spiders, heights, all kinds of stuff, but will freak completely out when it comes to cockroaches.

9. Amy in StL says:

#1 Spiders. It’s ridiculous how afraid of them I am. Once a coworker brought in a dead one from his garage to show me that the herb I gave him did seem to kill them. I stood there looking like a gasping fish, unable to make words while backing farther into my cube and crying. It was dead. Seriously. Since I live alone, I’ve had to learn to kill them or they disappear and you have no idea where they are. I use spray and watch them to make sure they don’t get away before they expire. Then I use about ten or fifteen wadded up paper towels to pick up the carcass and deposit it in a plastic trash bag, which I tie shut and immediately put outside.

10. Dagmar says:

I fear butterflies and clowns. Yes butterflies. They are so erratic and fly straight into your face with those strange colorful wings. And I swear one sat on me as a child and bit me. And clowns are just weird. Never liked them, even as a kid. Oh and moths are also part of that butterfly thing too.

11. Lisa Kuhl-Thomas says:

2, 4, 9. I have a dog who has #6 so bad we have to drug her. Wow, thank you for pointing out all my phobias. I see therapy in my future.

12. cred says:

A little of heights but that one is weird. I’m fine at great heights if I feel secure- like the glass floor of the CN tower. And on an industrial catwalk (at about 20 feet up) I was always fine up there looking down as I walked on the frame. But on the mesh sections that flex as you walk across it, I didn’t feel fear but noticed that my breathing became laboured and I started to perspire even though I didn’t consciously feel afraid. It’s weird when your brain produces a physiological response because you haven’t mentally recognized a risk.
    I’ve jumped out of an airplane 4 times and never noticed a fear of heights.

13. Deb says:

Dirty bathrooms … that’s my fear and occasionally they find themselves in my nightmares. Weird

14. Sandra says:

Trichopathophobia – a fear of facial hair … my own. It all stems from the time my husband and I were driving when suddenly he reached over, yanked mightely and triumphantly held forth the longest chin hair ever while inquiring, “are you growing a beard?”. Simultaneously embarassed, disgusted and fascinated I have since established a morning cheek/chin inspection to eradicate any errant thick and wiry-like growth. and you can bet that once a month I visit the aesthitician just in case. Female Facial Hair = UGH!

15. Debbie says:

Heights is my number one, followed closely by my number two which is either the spider web or spider. I think its the web first. Christmas time walking through the trees and wham walked through a web and don’t know if the spider is on me. The whole day freaking out I missed seeing him. Seeing the spider I have a better change of escape. One more if 4 is allowed shopping at the mall at Christmas time. The moving mass of people make me feel like I can’t breath……. I know I’m nuts.

16. Nancy says:

I just had to read all this and realized no one mentioned clowns. My husband is afraid of clowns.

17. Jasmine says:

Spiders. Blech. And it’s not a learned thing-I tried to be brave with my two sons when they were young so I would not pass on my phobia to them, but they are both grown now and one is terrified like me, the other is our spider killer. Because I can’t even get close enough to them to kill them. Sucking them up in a vacuum is good (along with some ajax) except that I know they are passing my hand with only a thin steel membrane AND the hose has to be blocked so they don’t come back out. Hebbie jeebies now. I have been on full alert for weeks as this is the time of year they COME INSIDE.

18. West Coast Nan says:

Spiders… And public speaking… In that order, as there are way more spiders than reasons to speak in front of others.

19. Nancy Blue Moon says:

3,4 & 7..I hate spiders and snakes..but it’s not an obsession..

20. Lea Studebaker says:

Spider’s, needles, an here’s the kicker…anything that pops: biscuit cans, champagne bottles, balloons etc. I will run, cry, and hyperventilate.

21. kelliblue says:

Heights. Kinda. But more like: really high heights that involve going over bridges. I guess it’s called Gephyrophobia.

I had my first true panic attack years ago while driving over a very high road ramp, so I’ve had kind of a ‘thing’ about that ever since. If I’m a passenger in someone else’s car and we have to traverse a bridge, I have been known to cover my eyes, slide down onto the floorboard of the car, or start rocking. :( Plus I have dreams where I’m driving, and then fly off the end of a bridge…not helpful. I now live in a very flat city, and stay away from the highways with those crazy curlicue high rise ramps. *shudder*

22. toekneetoni says:

bats!!!

23. Amy says:

Thunder and lightening – not always a stupid fear. When my son was born, I brought him home at 6 days old. At 7 days, there was a terrible thunderstorm that turned into a tornado that hit our house. It was terrifying hiding in the half bath with the newborn, the dog and my husband but all we lost were things, all easily replaced.
    Now I just tell people that he’s an only child because my biggest fear was that if we had another child, we’d have another tornado and I wasn’t doing that again! LOL!

24. Ellen says:

I have no problem with heights, creepy crawlies of any kind, and I adore mice & dogs. But I am terrified in CARS. I consider them dangerous & potentially fatal. It’s not so bad if I am driving, but as a passenger, I frequently have to close my eyes & pray. Two lane highways are the worst, and big highways not much better. residential streets are not too bad.

25. Barbara says:

What an appropriate post today. 13 is my luck number, or was until I walked out to my garage this morning and found a snake (fear #2 for sure). After trying to chase it out and hitting it with a hoe, the thing climbed into the wheel well of my car and disappeared. What’s the name of the fear of driving your car because there’s a snake lurking somewhere?!

26. christine says:

Jeanine, my vet recommended a “slicker” brush for my cat, as he is too darn fat to get to his back end when he bathes. He doesn’t love it, but it’s over quickly and the brush is filled.

27. Diana says:

My only fear ist the DOMINICUS-DESINERE-PHOBIE…
    Weekends are too short…

28. Mary Werner says:

Spiders and Height. A picture of a spider was BAD and especially the legs. Maybe it is a fear of long grabby legs. I don’t like the underside of a lobster. I read that fear of spiders is a direct link to your mother. Not sure why. My Mom died several years ago and I’m not terrified anymore but just don’t want them on me. Strange. I wasn’t afraid of my Mom. Heights – now I get sick to my stomach just watching someone close to an edge. I don’t let my kids or anyone stand on a hotel balcony – you never know if the guy that worked on it attached all the screws! Maybe the architect was bad, maybe the contractor stingy on materials. You could lean on the railing to find out. My kids always run to the balcony and lean on it just to watch me scream at them.

29. Ashley says:

Moths. They are the worst. Butterflies aren’t much better.

30. Dana Kee says:

Nope… not afraid of any of the stuff on that list or of Friday the 13th. Though I’m careful of many snakes and spiders, I’ve done catch-and-release of snakes in the henhouse and spiders in the shower.

What am I afraid of then? the IRS. Yep, there’s no squishing those buggers!

31. Lisa says:

I’m not fond of insects in my house, but I deal with them. The only thing that affects my regular life is a fear of open water – not a bathtub or a swimming pool, but a lake or ocean with stuff in it that I cannot see.

Sometimes I try to dangle my feet in a lake, and pretty soon the anxiety gets me and I have to get out.

One of my friends has the same thing, she calls it “dark water”

• Leigh says:

I feel your pain, Lisa. I love a pool as much as the next person. However, I can’t swim in an open body of water. Literally. I lose the ability to swim. I know it’s psychosomatic, but if my toes don’t touch the bottom while my head is above water, I will sink like a rock!

32. Amber says:

I was born on a Friday the 13th, and have always been lucky. The only problem is, while I have lots and lots of good luck, I have an equal amount of bad luck…
    I wasn’t afraid of heights until I took that rehab job and fell through a rotten floor 20 feet onto concrete. Broke 13 bones, including my back, got fixed right up and was back at work in 6 months. The doctor said she’d never seen breaks that bad go back together that well. I now have a strange aversion to walking across rotten wood. But still not of heights.

33. pam says:

Nope, I don’t have any of these. But I am surprised not to see fear of public speaking and claustrophobia on this list. My mom MUST sit on the aisle whenever she travels or attends any kind of performance. She needs to know she can escape!

34. Jeanine says:

This is off the subject, but I wonder if you have any advice for dealing with cat hair inside, other than filling up a vacuum daily. Have you found a really good brush that your cats actually like?

35. Deb J says:

Fear of heights would be the closest thing I have to a phobia. I can really relate to the open stairs – get dizzy at MEC. I’m not fond of spiders or snakes but not phobic. I can also do without crowds, but I think that is more my antisocial nature than fear. I am, however, respectful of thunder storms. I used to LOVE them – sit out on a porch and revel in their fury. Then I saw the results of a lightening strike at the cottage – huge pine reduced to toothpicks littering the lake, fire in the boat house and the cottage 50 feet away, jigsaw pieces of wall from both the cottage and the cabin, and the zillions of little fuzzy bits of insulation – the only thing left of hundreds of feet if vapourized wire. Don’t revel quite as much:)

36. Nancy says:

Spiders, definitely. Always has been my worst fear. I have the opposite of claustrophobia; I love enclosed spaces and could sit in a dark closet for hours! I used to have a fear of flying, but my husband booked a plane trip years ago and after a couple of flights, I was fine. I used to have a stupid fear of laying my head on someone else’s pillow, but that one is gone now too.

37. christine says:

Where is claustrophobia? I have developed that in the past 2 or 3 years. I am 54. I took my son to an international university placement, staying a few days to help him settle in. I was in my hotel in Ireland and my body clock was turned around so I couldn’t sleep. I had an anxiety attack and felt the need to leave the room. But, as a woman alone in a strange city (he’d moved into residence), late at night, this fleeing was impossible. It was awful. Since then I’ve had a few more. They are always in situations where there is other stress at play (ie: leaving your kid in another country!). Hate them but am managing.

38. SuzyM says:

I have a terrible fear of handling snakes that are covered in spiders, while public speaking at a dog show in a high altitude tunnel during a thunderstorm on Friday the 13th. But, other than that, I’m good.

39. Susan Dulley says:

This a great post. Everyone has at least one Phobia, most people have more than one. Mine…Fear of Heights. However, I have good reason. When I was four years of age, my brother, sister and I were playing in my Grandfather’s Hayloft in the barn. I decided to leave this hay throwing party and walked toward the ladder. Missed the second rung and hit the barn floor. If you have ever been in a barn, one that has been there for years, you know that the barn floor is as hard as concrete. I landed on my back, knocked the wind out of me and I was not breathing. How odd that I remember this in such detail. My sister ran for my mother, who, once arriving at the barn, picked me up by my feet and began pounding on my back. I was not breathing at the time. Thank God my mother was so quick to act, otherwise I would most likely not be writing this. I, as a result of the fall, have carried with me a fear of heights that at times can actually paralyze me. Ferris Wheels, no way, climbing stairs that are open and being more than four feet off the ground. I have been able to master ladders if they are secure and steady, but, I generally keep my feet firmly planted on the ground, Other than that the only other fear, SNAKES! The one time that I did manage to climb a ladder, I was doing some landscaping for a client, managed to climb up about 25 ft. to pull dead ivy off of the side of the house and guess what fell on me. That is correct! A SNAKE!

40. Kristin D. says:

Emetophobia — fear of vomit/vomiting. Totally irrational and ridiculous. It leads to my other fears which are fear of flying and fear of crowded places but only because I fear someone may be sick near me & I won’t be able to flee. Seriously. I have to take xanax to fly or go to my kids’ concerts . AND I work in a hospital where I treat patients!
    I get panicky if a friend posts a status update on Facebook about their kid puking all night or the stomach flu going through their house. Even typing this is making my heart race a little! So. Dumb.

41. Sandi says:

Yep. . . 1, 2, and 3. I guess I’m certainly predictable, if terrified. :)

42. Molly says:

Claustrophobia anyone? I used to be claustrophobic, but that was cured back in college when I became trapped on an elevator with 17 drunk students from the international floor. I remember that I barely had room to move my arms and there was a slightly tipsy Indian boy proclaiming, “we are going die” in his beautiful Indian accent, while a fiery little Spanish girl yelled at him to stop talking. It took an hour for the campus security to pry open the doors, and after that interesting multicultural experience, I was cured.

43. Beth says:

Katsaridaphobia. Cockroaches terrify me. Thunder snow. The best winter phenomena Mother Nature ever gave us.

• Leigh says:

Thank you! I’m not alone. I can’t believe it took this long before someone mentioned those horrible, ancient, creepy, nasty creatures. And in the Southern US, there are several types that FLY! Yes, fly!! And one kind that is so large you can hear it walk across the floor.

I have to go throw up now…

• Candace says:

Oh my gosh, definitely not alone! I can’t even utter the word, I have to refer to them as cucarachas (or “kooks” for short). DISGUSTING! If I’m alone in the house and come face to face with one, I basically have a nervous breakdown until I can muster up the courage to vacuum it up, which is horrifying…and even after that’s accomplished, I’m on edge for hours.

Totally fine with spiders though! :)

44. Brie says:

2.3.4.7.9.10. I’m a hot mess.

45. jainegayer says:

Centipedes. Yep, centipedes. If I see one crawling on my bedroom wall and it gets away before I can SMASH it to smithereens, I will not even be able to sleep in my bed that night. It rained here last night…they’ll be out today…

46. Susan says:

Great topic; it’s comforting knowing you’re not the only one with irrational fears but this is the first time I’ve heard of a cricket phobia!
    Heights make me dizzy but I fight it and climb ladders and shingle roofs (rooves?) and I’m not a happy flyer but think that’s a control thing and I’d be okay if I was driving. The rest of the passengers would probably not think so. But snakes! I have trouble even typing the word. Definitely can’t hold a book with a picture on the cover. Saw my first one in 9 years on PEI a few weeks ago and you could probably hear my scream in Dundas. At least down here you don’t have to worry about them swimming with you like they do around Georgian Bay.

47. Rose says:

I have no phobias, but today is my birthday, so it’s a lucky day for me! friggatriskaidekaphobia – love that word, I thought you made it up.

48. Ev says:

Acrophobia, but ! can handle it with a lot of self-counseling. (Actually I agree that it is kinda stupid to NOT have a touch of this one)! Agoraphobia, can handle this too-just really uncomfortable, especially in crowded shopping events. I learned fast how to shop online when we got our first computer!! If I have to be in a crowded room I am usually right by the door. Minor phobias. Snakes and spiders are no prob for me, never were. As for Friday 13th, it has always seemed a lucky day for me. Not that I’m weird or anything….

49. Moe says:

I don’t like heights, which also means I really really don’t like to fly!!
    But here is a tip about Friday the 13th… it is a great day to schedule surgery! NO ONE schedules on that day, so you have a surgeon who is not rushed, not over tired, and you can laugh in the face superstition! I did this TWICE!! (and obviously lived both times to tell the tale!)

50. Linda Robbins says:

Mimes. I once vomited when I was surprised by a mime. Cold fact.