The Most Common Phobias.

The 10 most common phobias. Do you think you suffer from any of them?

Classic Friday the 13th goalie Mask on black background.

friggatriskaidekaphobia

(def.) – The fear of Friday the 13th.

“Frigg” – The Norse goddess whom Friday is named after.

“Triskaidekaphobia” – The fear of 13.

Millions of Americans are afraid of Friday the 13th but it still isn’t among the most common phobias. People who suffer from friggatriskaidekaphobia  suffer everything from a little bit of anxiety to a feeling of doom to full-on panic attacks when Friday the 13th approaches. Which are the exact symptoms I show whenever I realize the dishwasher needs to be emptied.

Take a gander at this list of phobias and see how you and your phobias stack up against the 10 most common.

10 Most Common Phobias

1. Arachnophobia:

• The fear of spiders.
  • This phobia tends to affect women more than men.

2. Ophidiophobia:

• The fear of snakes.
  • Often attributed to evolutionary causes, personal experiences, or cultural influences.

3. Acrophobia:

• The fear of heights.
  • This fear can lead to anxiety attacks and avoidance of high places.

4. Agoraphobia:

• The fear of situations in which escape is difficult.
  • This may include crowded areas, open spaces, or situations that are likely to trigger a panic attack. People will begin avoiding these trigger events, sometimes to the point that they cease leaving their home.

5. Cynophobia:

• The fear of dogs.
  • This phobia is often associated with specific personal experiences, such as being bitten by a dog during childhood.

6. Astraphobia:

• The fear of thunder and lightening.
  • Also known as Brontophobia, Tonitrophobia, or Ceraunophobia.

7. Trypanophobia:

• The fear of injections.
  • Like many phobias, this fear often goes untreated because people avoid the triggering object and situation.

8. Social Phobias:

• The fear of social situations.
  • In many cases, these phobias can become so severe that people avoid events, places, and people that are likely to trigger an anxiety attack.

9. Pteromerhanophobia:

• The fear of flying.
  • Often treated using exposure therapy, in which the client is gradually and progressively introduced to flying.

10. Mysophobia:

(list source)

Let’s hear them. Do you have 1, 2, 3 or none of the top 10 phobias?  Or perhaps you have the be all and end all of phobias Phobophobia – the fear of phobias.

1. beverly e says:

Frogs. And toads. I’d kiss a snake on the lips before I’d touch a frog with my toe. I know they won’t hurt me, but they will make me hurt myself. And they’re sneaky. And they have it out for me.
    Hate’em.

2. Tracy Gaydos says:

Katsaridaphobia (fear of cockroaches)

And it SUCKS, because the live oaks down here in Alabama are FULL of the little bastards

3. Tracy Gaydos says:

Katsaridaphobia

Fear of cockroaches.

4. jan says:

Number seven but hypnosis helped!

5. Brenda says:

1,2 & 3…and 9 gets worse as I get older.

But lacking on this list is fear of flying cockroaches. I don’t “like” bugs, but I’m okay if I can step on them and kill them.

Flying cockroaches….they don’t die easy. I lived in Hawaii for 6 yrs and they are everywhere. They are huge, loud and they fly right at your head. They are almost impossible to kill. And when you finally did kill one, they made a HUGE mess. I would kill, if possible, and/or trap them under objects…so my husband would come home to find his extra combat boots atop cockroaches, some still alive, but trapped. He was my “wet team”.

6. Nanette says:

I had a Friday 13th party to celebrate! No phobias allowed.

7. magali says:

I’ve got a tad of number 4. I always make sure I locate the emergency exit!
    I work really hard at getting people to overcome arachnophobia. I would call it a stupid phobia because spiders are not dangerous, but since it’s all about a chemical imbalance it’s not really fair to say that. I’ve got to say though, you’re a lot happier in life when you are not afraid of spiders or insects seeing as they are everywhere!

8. Kristin says:

I’m scared of big scary-looking spiders, and I don’t love the black widows lurking around my garage, but I respect spiders and if I find one in my house I will catch it in a drinking glass and place it outside without harming it (if it’s small enough I will catch it in my hand.) But no, I have no phobias. I don’t mind heights. I have sometimes felt scared of heights when I was responsible for keeping myself from falling, like climbing the incredibly steep stone stairs of Blarney Castle with only a sagging rope to hold on to and a tiny baby in a sling on my chest. But once at the top, I had no trouble lying back and trusting the gentlemen to hold my legs as I was lowered under the battlements to kiss the Blarney Stone, 100 feet above ground.

9. lindyb says:

Germs. I am a selective germaphobe – I’m not a basket-case over all germs, just bathroom and kitchen germs. If something goes into the bathroom, say a step stool or bath toy, it only leaves the bathroom again if it’s going in the trash!

10. Tracie says:

Oh God, I just was reading through some comments, and Mindy reminded me that I am totally afraid of popping balloons and moths! Moths have FACES…OMG, I am terrified just thinking about it! I don’t know why I’m so afraid of balloons popping, but I always have to cut the knot to let the air out. I’m not reading anymore comments. I’m fine deluding myself into believing I have only these few fears….but I totally love storms, of any kind!

11. 1, 2, and 7 for me. Although needles are probably my biggest fear. Don’t poke me!

12. dana says:

I run to the pharmacy to get a flu shot so I am not afraid of injections. I am terrified of the flu. I am so afraid of garden snakes that if a leaf, cricket, etc moves near me my heart skips a beat. I am so un-afraid of spiders that I will see one in my house, get up, look at it to make sure its not a brown recluse or black widow, then go sit back down. AND THUNDERSNOW IS AWESOME!! Its only happened a few times in the last few years.

13. Janet says:

For some unknown reason I don’t like having one dry hand and one wet hand when I reach for a towel. I will always touch the dry hand to the wet hand before drying both hands. Weird. Not afraid of any you listed but I do not like elevators. Or being locked in the body of a cement truck when it is not turning.

14. Jerrica says:

Cockroaches. I scream. I run. It takes me 20 minutes to kill one because I’m squirming and fighting myself to pursue. Ridiculous, I know!

15. Tracie says:

I think it’s stupid to be afraid of a number, but whom am I to judge? I am terrified of public speaking. I am one of those people who choose public speaking ahead of dying, as my worst fear…..I don’t like spiders, snakes, bugs, crawlies of any kind, and I get totally grossed out if I happen to walk into a spider web, but scared? I can step on bugs. People on the other hand…..

16. Lauren from Winnipeg says:

Girl texting father: “OMG! Dad! There’s a spider outside the bathroom door! Quick! Kill it so I can come out!”

“Dad! I’m serious. C’mon, hurry!”

Girl receiving text: “Dad dead. You’re next. – Spider”

17. Susan says:

When my ex tried to drive me up to the top of Pike’s Peak, I ended up on the floor of my side of the front seat, under the Rand-McNally roadmap we’d used to get there. On the other hand, when HE came across a large cane spider (2-3″ body diameter, 8-9″ legs) in the hovel we lived in when first married, he put on his bathrobe and combat boots before attempting to catch it with an empty coffee can. And when it SPRUNG at him, he screamed like a little girl and ran into the other room. I had to catch the thing and get rid of it. I don’t fear very many things, but being anywhere there’s more than say a 25′ drop-off nearby, and I’ll meet you back at the base.

18. dana gault says:

Thalassophobia, which is the fear of oceans. Also lakes, lagoons and the like, of which I am not afraid. It’s the BIG WATER that scares the crap out of me. I can swim in it, but if I can’t touch the bottom, I panic. Had I been Molly Brown, “Unsinkable” would not have been added to my name, because I would have NEVER gotten on the Titanic in the first place. I’m going to go be sick now.

19. Laura Bee` says:

There are a few things that I avoid. Wasps really freak me out & I run in circles, but I am trying to get over it so as not pass that fear on to my daughter. (We both like bees, especially bumblebees – spiders & bugs) The other thing would be open grates on the ground. There’s actually one in the play yard at my daughter’s daycare & she discovered a few weeks ago she can play “mommy come get me” when she is on it. I finally did step on it to get her, but only after giving the ladies who work there a good laugh. When I turned 30 I acquired a small fear of heights. Turning 40 yesterday was a little scary, but I got through it, just wondering what new fear will rear it’s ugly head next.
    Love a good thunder storm…

20. Carol says:

Only no. 2 … and that’s not stupid .. they’re the spawn of the devil!

21. Is there a phobia about sleeping with your foot or hand sticking off the edge of the bed? If so, that’s mine – if I realize that an appendage has accidentally slipped off the edge of the bed, I yank it back like I expect something to get it!

22. kate-v says:

well, I sure don’t like heights and I used to have nightmares of falling. but being on a ladder or house roof or in a tree is not bad – just really high heights – like cliffs, skyscrapers, dams, tall glass outside elevators – bother me. Another thing i don’t like is dolls with human facial expressions and eyes that look real. I don’t mind rag-type, barbie-type or stuffed animal type toys, but those dolls with their real-type eyes and carefully detailed human expressions just seem creepy to me. I never had one as a child, had three sons (so, no dolly-dolls), and my granddaughters have so many other toys I seldom even see those dolls. Though I know they’re out there.

23. gabrielle says:

altho i don’t care for many social situations, i would not say they give me panic attacks. What does? Cryophobia1!!!!!!

24. Vicky says:

I have a horrible fear of heights and I’m not a fan of spiders but I try not to kill them as they eat the rest of the nasty bugs which I don’t like either. Having a fear of heights is a perfectly natural fear.

25. Grammy says:

People, what is wrong with you? Snakes are our friends. Because they eat rodents. RATS. Not one single person so far has mentioned a fear of RATS? And mice? And any other rodent-related thing?

Not one of you? I guess that’s because the snakes have been eating the rodents for you so you don’t know how much danger you’ve been in. Sheesh.

26. #1 and #2 for sure. As for #3, I don’t so much have a fear of heights as I do a fear of falling from great heights.