How the little lost cat Sugarbear found a home.

I try to do good with this website of mine. Can I be crass, bitchy, impatient, rude, or sarcastic? I sure hope so. But the goal is to entertain and inform. And to get you off your asses and get you doing stuff. To make a change. To have an impact.

To do good.

I get so excited when people say they’ve cooked something of mine and loved it, or that they got chickens because of me, or they attempted to repair something around the house they’d normally ask their husband to fix.

But I think what happened last week may have been the greatest thing this blog has ever accomplished.

I found a home for a stray cat that undoubtedly would have died otherwise.

The cat I dubbed “Sugarbear” has found a home.

Last week I posted about Sugarbear; a cat that’s been roaming the neighbourhood for the past few months. She is the nicest, sweetest, most affectionate cat I’ve ever encountered. Even after having lived on the streets. Even after having no food. Even after being covered in fleas and scabs and wounds.

Every day for the past 3 months she’d walk up onto my porch, roll over and offer her belly to whoever happened to be around. As time went on and the neighbours and I realized this little cat really didn’t have a home, we took to feeding her and giving her what she needed most; attention.

It then became a mission to find this cat a home.

We both looked into shelters and the SPCA, but the SPCA never got back to me and the shelters were full to the gunnels with cats. So we started asking friends and family. Church members, grocery store cashiers, random people walking down the street. Do you want a cat? Hey LADY. You with the cat sized dog … wouldn’t you like an actual cat?

I knew the second anyone met Sugarbear they’d want to keep her.  Even one of my sisters who has never owned a cat, has no interest in cats and is also allergic to cats considered taking her.  THAT’s how nice a cat Sugarbear is.

So when I posted about her last week I hoped Sugarbear would finally find the home she deserved.

And she did.

At 10:00 a.m. last Tuesday, the morning the post went up,  Karla emailed me.  The mother of 2 was over 2 hours away but she loved Sugarbear based on her picture.  Karla used to own a cat but she had to give him up for adoption when the cat became aggressive towards her newborn baby.  Her vet said it was for the best.  Her vet said the situation would only get worse, not better.  Her vet convinced her.  So Karla gave away her cat and has regretted it for the past 7 years.

But she didn’t feel she had a choice.

So when she saw Sugarbear she knew immediately she had to have her.  Because Sugarbear looked exactly like Max, the cat she was forced to give away.

24 hours after that initial email, Karla was standing on my front porch to pick Sugarbear up.

My neighbours had to bring Sugarbear into their house overnight so we knew where the cat would be when Karla showed up.  Stray cats have a curious habit of … roaming … so when she came for her nightly feeding they just opened their back door and Sugarbear walked straight into their kitchen where she spent the night curled up on the kitchen table.  And then the kitchen floor.  And finally the kitchen chair.

I walked Karla over and she met her new cat.  It was love at first sight for both of them.  I couldn’t have picked a better owner for Sugarbear.

Karla &amp ;- Sugar

After a 2 and a half hour drive, a 15 minute meet and greet with the cat, Karla was back in her van ready to take the cat home.  In less than 24 hours she managed to arrange a 5 hour road trip, get a cat carrier, and book a veterinary appointment for Friday.

Trip Home

They made it apparently.  According to Karla the cat napped, talked and lost her lunch twice.  Which by her standards was quite a success.

Drive Home

A small price for the cat to pay in exchange for what is going to be a happy, happy life for her.

Oh!  And before she left Karla told me what she was going to name her new cat.   Curled up on my neighbour’s kitchen floor with her new pet, Karla looked up at me and said, Her name is Sugar.

portrait

You can make a difference.  You can do stuff.  You can do good.

update:  Karla says Sugar is happy as can be.  And as it turns out, Sugar isn’t a she.  She’s a he (with a couple of parts removed).

→Follow me on Instagram where I often make a fool of myself←

1. jb says:

Great story! I love happy endings.
    And I thought he looked like a male…:D

2. Caroline says:

funny I would read your story this morning after adopting 2 cats last night. I really wanted a kitten but know the spca has a much harder time finding homes for mature cats. This was easily solved by taking a mother cat with a kitten. I couldn’t be happier, now if they would just wake up and come out from under the buffet the fun can begin. Finding a home has gotta feel as good a providing one. Thank you and congrats Karla!

3. Awww, bless you. So, Sugar was missing his boy bits, which means someone once cared for him. He looks like a few of our ferals, on which we practice C-N-R (capture, neuter, release). They live mostly in our yard/neighborhood and we feed them… 3 litter brothers Thumbkin (a polydactyl tiger), Ocelot (tiger), Spooky (black with a tiny white spot)… 2 litter brothers Jasper (black) and Rufus (red)… a new crafty sneaky fast mother cat (Luna – tiger) who doesn’t trust is and won’t let us near her, and her 4 kittens, Solstice (tiger/orange), Equinox (tiger/orange), Samhain (fluffy black) and Eclipse (sleek black)… all of whom we have to C-N-R, and SOON… before they make even MORE of themselves. *sigh* Then my daughter took into her home a feral kinda-Siamese-but-fluffy cat (now named Bella), who promptly delivered 5 grey and white FEMALE kittens in her bedroom while she was out of town. I told her I’d help them find homes. Anyone want a sweet kitty from Long Island or upstate New York? (We have 4 inside already, ages 16 – 12… and 3 dogs.) Good job on Sugar. Congrats again!

4. Sarah says:

Karen,
    Don’t lose your energy and flare for humor. Some day you may have the time to write that book!
    Sarah

5. Sue says:

Awww! I love a happy ending:)

6. Melissa says:

This story made me cry, I love hearing about animals that found homes!!!

7. Brenda says:

Now THAT’S the kind of story I love….we don’t get very many happily ever afters in this crazy thing called life, so i love, love, love to hear when it happens! Kudos to all involved in finding Sugar a home and lots of purrs for Karla and her family, and Sugar, well lots of love and catnip to her….er…him. :)

8. Congrats Karla, I’M BALLING!!!

9. mayr says:

Totally weeping. You is such a good girl. the Universe is smiling.

10. JBess says:

Daaaaaaw :) Love it!

11. Ellen says:

Now THIS story should be on the news!!!!!
    I got chickens because of you. If you get goats, then I guess I’ll have to get some.
    Question: (forgive me for not having done my research)…but can you eat that big kale you have by your front steps?

Hi Ellen – Of course! It’s quite mild (for kale) and it’s so cold tolerant it’ll live until around February for me in Zone 6. It’s GREAT. ~ karen

12. Ev says:

Rhonda smartypants said it all. Hats off indeed!

13. Shauna says:

Great job! I hope Karla continues to send pictures occasionally of Sugar.

14. I love this post! You go, Karen and Karla! And, of course, Sugar!