How to Kill a Centipede & Make a Fashion Statement

Go read this  if you haven’t read my “Earth Hour You can Suck It” post.  It’s an entry that explains my epidemic here.  Not my dilemma … my epidemic.

If you don’t read it, you won’t fully appreciate the severity of my particular situation.  I have bugs.  Not me.  I, personally, do not have bugs on me, my person.  I have bugs in my house.

Horrifying, disgusting, frightening bugs.  They go by the name of  …

The Centipede

Centipede Drawing 2

So’s not to frighten you I drew a reasonable facsimile of a centipede.  This is, I feel, a fairly accurate representation of what I found in the bathroom a few weeks ago.  A  Only I think he had a gun.  And maybe a crossbow.  He definitely spoke Spanish.

A few nights after the bathroom incident, I spied one making his way up the stairs towards the bedrooms.

So, I had no choice but to kill him.  Yeah, he’s a living creature, you’re a Buddhist, blah, blah, blah.  I’m sorry, but he’s in MY house and he’s gross.   So he’s dead.  Yeah, he eats other bugs, he keeps down on the spiders and ants, blah, blah, blah.  I’m sorry but he’s in MY house and he’s gross.  So he’s dead.

I’ve used a bug service in the past, to deal with my recurring centipede problem, plus I’ve also sprayed my house myself.  Since I couldn’t be bothered to wait for an official bug sprayer, and since I wanted to do this at my own pace – immediately – I did it myself.

And so can you.

I’ve use 2 different cans of spray in the past, both with great success.  Raid’s House and Garden and Raid Spider Blaster.   If you’re looking to kill centipedes, or any bugs for that matter, look for a spray that has the highest dose of Pyrethrin.  It’s not only highly effective, but Wikipedia says it’s safe to use around food and animals.    Although I’m not sure about the rest of the stuff in the Raid, so I made sure to lock my cats outside while I sprayed and took precautions myself.   As you will bear witness to later.

How to Spray Your House for Bugs

Get your Pyrethrin filled cans of spray.  It took 3 to do my entire house.

Raid

Pull all the furniture away from the walls.  You’re going to need to spray along all your baseboards, so you need access to them.  You will be shocked by the amount of hair and guck that accumulates behind things.  Do not be deterred.  Continue on pulling out your furniture.  No one needs to know about your hair and guck.  Unless you’re me and you have a blog and you show everyone your hair and guck.  Ahem. So to speak.
Cleaning behind furniture

Vacuum the entire house before you spray.  These are my dirty old stairs which have needed carpeting for the past 3 years.

Stairs

If your house looks any neater than this, you aren’t doing it right.

You need to make a mess to kill a bug.  Pull everything away from the walls, lift the curtains off the floor and vacuum.

Messy Living Room

Spray along all your baseboards, windowsills and door thresholds.  If you have a gnarly basement like I do, spray that too.  Spray the walls of the basement and the floors.  Hard to believe I have centipedes.  Hard to believe I haven’t locked Hansel & Gretel down there.

Basement Stairs

The Raid Spider Blaster had quite the reek to it, so I felt safer with a mask on.  Only I didn’t have a mask.  What I did have was my boyfriend’s underwear.

Spraying for bugs

How this works is the bugs come out through the baseboards at night when it’s dark, they crawl through the killer spray and they die. The Spider Blaster has the added bonus of having a residual effect for a couple of weeks.

3 nights after spraying I found a dead centipede in the bathroom. I hated that centipede and I’m glad he’s dead. Stupid centipede. One night ago, I found a live one. It is my hope he just hadn’t died yet. That happens you see. The bug won’t die until he’s crossed the threshold of poison. Once he does he will wither up and die.

Or … he’ll crawl into an orface while you sleep. Here’s hoping for the first option.

1. Robin Beers says:

I found this stuff on Amazon:

It’s got a 6% solution of the pyrethrin you were talking about. Way more than Raid. This is the industrial strength stuff. We are going for chemical warfare here.

2. Robin Beers says:

I just moved to Hawaii which would be paradise except for the fact that I have gotten two centipede bites in the last three weeks. The ones we have here are huge and really scary and aggressive as all hell. I think they have Chinese tong tats and carry machetes.

One got me on the foot and one actually bit me on my face last night in bed. The cheeky little bastard.

All the ads for diatomaceous earth and boric acid and stuff say they work great as long as they stay dry. Well nothing stays dry in Hawaii for long. That’s not going to do much good.

Thanks for the tip about the Raid for spiders. I’ll give that a try.

Why would you tell me a horrible story like that before bed?! ~ karen

• Robin Beers says:

I was googling around for natural organic non toxic solutions to my problem when I ran across your post.
        Thanks for the giggle.
        You’re right, earth hour can suck it. I need those suckers gone.

sweet dreams. 😉

3. http://nipspry.soup.io says:

Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the pictures on this blog loading?

I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my end or if it’s the blog.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

4. Balraj Saini says:

Just want to know a way to nip the evil in the bud – we got the infestation on ground floor last year during monsoon season (rains) when construction work was in progress on first floor. Till date, we have been able to keep them confined to sewer lines, from where they occasionally venture into the bathrooms. However, we wish to eliminate their population in the sewer line itself. Any good methods? Have already tried pesticide sprays such as Mortein and Hit, along with ammonia, copper sulphate, hot water and nitric acid. Next hold would be boric acid powder. Today, got all the cracks plugged with cement. I believe that chemicals can never completely eliminate the bugs. So, Please help.

Hi Balraj – Yuck. Bleh. Horrid little creatures. So, the only alternate things you can do to help is make sure ALL tiny cracks to the exterior (around windows, doors and outside walls) are filled. And keep the environment as dry as possible by using humidifiers. If you really want to get rid of them you can have your home “bombed” by a pest company. They’ll come in a basically set off a chemical bomb killing everything in the house. The problem with this solution of course is that poisonous chemicals get on EVERYTHING in your home. So it really is a last resort for people who have a major problem. (You have to remove everything from the home or tent it all so that it doesn’t get touched by the chemicals). ~ karen!

5. Ashley says:

Omg these stories though!!! Ahhh!! So O killed one last night and almost every night for the past week (Springtime in Toronto) joy… Not.. And I could feel something crawling on the inside of my thigh this morning … I jolted out of bed and there it came crawling …. Needless to say I couldn’t fall back asleep and I’ll be washing my sheets today ughh… Totally disgusted ..

What?? WHO???! Stop that! Stop with these lies!!! No such thing happened. I refuse to believe it! NO. NO ma’am. Not on my planet. ~ karen!

6. Parker says:

LOL, ick – the creepy crawly gicky icky LEGGY nasty things that have the gall to come into our personal spaces….I’ve woken myself up slapping a spider to death on my cheek. Weird, gross and scary. Nice to know I have good self-defense reflexes, though.

7. Chris says:

Just discovered your blog, love it! Those centipedes are truly disgusting. My living room seems to be the migration path of the common spider, for many days in a row a spider would show up, stop, look me over as if to say “wth?” and move on. At first I tried to toss them all outside ( empty yogurt container, shudders etc ) but then the shudders took over and there was simply spider carnage. I think word got out, haven’t seen one in a while!I may go the Raid route next time!