How to Make a Neck Pillow for $4

Today I’m going to give you a lesson on being open to taking things in a different direction when you have to.  ‘Cause I’m all about giving life lessons and making the world a happier place with rainbows and kittens and skin tags that magically disappear with the wink of an eye.

I went to The Dollar Store in search of rag rugs the other day.  I wanted to make a specific craft out of some  rag rugs.  But alas … the rag rugs were no more.  No more rag rugs at The Dollar Store.  So I continued to wander the aisles looking for baskets I could use for handing out eggs to people.  No trip to The Dollar Store should ever be wasted.  And no one should ever be wasted while at The Dollar Store.  See?  Yet another life lesson for you.  No extra charge.

As I meandered up and down the aisles of the happiest place on earth, I stopped dead in my tracks.  My jaw went slack, drool dripped down my chin and I started to hear Gregorian Chants.  Once I realized I was the one singing the Gregorian Chants I wasn’t so freaked out and I snapped back to reality.

There in front of me were a cheap crafter’s dream item.  I swear to you beams of sunshine were flowing out of them.

So … I changed direction.  No more tears over the lost rag rug craft.  I had fluffy orange pillows on my mind.

And here … is how I made them.
Pillow 11

Car Wash Mitts!!!!!  $2 each.

Pillow 1

Remove from packaging.

Pillow 2

Fold cuff back.

Pillow 3

Cut cuff off by removing stitches with stitch ripper or scissors.

Pillow 4

Lay 2 car wash mitts out.

Pillow 5

Fill with whatever kind of stuffing you have on hand.  Feathers, batting, dust bunnies etc.

Pillow 6

Then … you either hand sew the two mitts together (which is what I would do) orrrrrr  if you can’t’ sew, just attach them together with stick on velcro tape! You could also hot glue gun the 2 sides together.

Pillow 7

Stick one section of the tape to the outside of one mitt, and to the inside of the other. Then carefully line them up and stick em together.

Pillow 8

If you chose to use the velcro option keep in mind you’ll see a bit of the seams in the centre of the pillow.  Plus … your pillow will be more decorative than functional ’cause it’ll be crunchy in the centre.

Pillow 9

And there you have the Ta Da.

Pillow 10

Yes.  I’ve made pillows for my house out of car wash mitts.  I’ve reached a new low.  And  with $4, some batting, a bit of thread and the willingness to change direction … you can too.

1. Paula says:

Voted #430! Gotta go, heading to the Dollar Store. Back soon.

2. Bonnie says:

I registered and voted for you, but it wasn’t easy. I was lost in the website for some time. I feared I would not find my way back out, but I kept clicking and looking and FINALLY I found the right page and voted for your blog. Whew! I need a glass of wine or two. Who knew that I should have left breadcrumbs.

LOL, thank you Bonnie! I’ll try to make it clearer in the future! (like next week when I hope to be in the top 10 … next week is when the final voting happens) ~ karen

3. Ladycamper says:

You’ve GOT to be KIDDING me!!

That is soo cool!

4. Tracie says:

Hi Karen,
    I LOVE this idea! I’m going out today to get some, as soon as I’m done voting for you of course! I love all your posts, and the mirror is awesome! Why can’t I find treasures like that?? Actually, I was at a thrift shop one time and saw one similar but didn’t get it for some stupid reason…went back when I regained my senses and of course, it was gone…guess I can’t bitch about that one…

Tracie – I hemmed and hawwwwed over that mirror! I came *very* close to not buying it, then for some reason I did. I’m very, very glad I did. ~ karen!

5. caren says:

Karen! I’m so happy I found you! the minute I landed on your site (and saw that you’re a fellow Canadian) I was hooked. I love your witty writing style, and those ABS!! Seriously? Do you do crunches every minute of the day?

Anyway, just wanted to drop a line and say hey – you rock!

I will vote for you!

BTW, what show do you host?

Hey Caren – Nope. No crunches. I build chicken coops. 🙂 I’ve hosted a lot of shows in Canada. I hosted a show on MuchMoreMusic, then a makeover show called Stylin’ Gypsies for W Network, then Designer Superstar Challenge, Handyman Superstar Challenge and Superstar Hair Challenge for HGTV. Then a few competition shows for W Network, and now I’m doing the voice overs for “My House, Your Money” on W Network. Phew. Thanks for taking the time to vote! ~ karen

6. Carol Brading says:

I just saw you on morning live, march 8, very impressed with your ideas. I too do this, I made curtains for a small window from my grad gown. Always looking for new ideas!! Thanks so much!! Cal

Carol – Glad you found my site! I think you’ll like it here. We’re a friendly bunch. Sometimes we swear but you can just pass over that if you like. If you haven’t already, don’t forget to vote for me! Just click on the “Homies” link at the top of the site, register to vote … then vote! ~ karen!

7. beve says:

My husband says I have spent the entire evening being antisocial. What is so interesting on that iPad? Little does he know I’ll be right back here again just now. Wooooohooooo. Looooooving loving all your stuff. This is food for my inner me!

Oh as if you couldn’t tell – my first time here.

Brilliant, thanks

8. Janice Heck says:

Great idea and another one I did was fill a sleeve with crunched up
    plastic trash bags, ,make a sleeve out of flannel and fill it with
    the bags. Mine has lasted, so far , for six years.

9. Susan says:

Okay. So u take thinking outside of the box to an all new level!!! Great job.