How to Make Perfect French Fries

perfect-frenchfries-pin

So you wanna know how to make perfect French Fries, do you?  Yeah.  So did I.  For about the past 20 years.

I will tell you now, that I have tried every method, potato and oil temperature known to mankind in my quest to create THE PERFECT FRENCH FRY.  I’ve come close many times. In all that time I  had never succeeded in creating the perfect chip at home.

Until now.

To reiterate.  This is NOT a post on how to make easy french fries.  It is a post on how to make THE PERFECT FRENCH FRY.  If a single one of you complains this is too much work I’m going to punch you in the vagina.  Or maybe the spleen. I haven’t decided yet.

Before I get to the method for making the perfect french fry I want to go through the most common ways to make fries.

♦  The first way people make fries is to grab whatever potato they have in their cupboard, cut it up, turn the deep fryer onto “HOT AS HELL”, and throw them in.

This will not create the perfect french fry.

♦  The second way people try to make fries is by getting fancy and twice cooking the french fries.  First cooking them in oil, taking them out to cool.  And then cooking them again at a higher temperature.

This will not create the perfect french fry.

If you want to make perfect french fries, you need to use a method made popular by The Fat Duck’s Heston Blumenthal.  Thrice cooked french fries.

I’ve modified his technique slightly to work better for the at home fry cook, but basically the method is boiling the fries, frying them at a low temperature, then frying them at a high temperature.

You’ll need baking potatoes and a deep fryer plus a pot of cold, salted water.  You cannot under any circumstances create PERFECT french fries in the oven.  Cannot.  You can create slightly healthier fries in the oven but they will NOT be considered, referred to or hailed as perfect.

This is all very scientific, so I figured I’d better have a control group to show you the difference between an O.K. fry and THE PERFECT FRY.

I’m even wearing rubber gloves and a lab coat.  And a stethoscope.

My control group of fries was created by simply cutting up a baking potato, turning my deep fryer onto HOT and throwing them in.

This method produced overly dark, slightly undercooked fries.

They were limp.  And unappealing.  As limp things often are.

So let’s make PERFECT FRENCH FRIES.  Peel your potatoes.  You CANNOT leave the skin on for perfect fries.  Yeah that’s where the vitamins and nutrients are blah, blah.  Perfect fries don’t have skin, because the skin won’t get crispy the way we need it to.  Off with the skin!

Plop your fries into a pot of cold, heavily salted water.

Cook until soft but not falling apart.

The easiest way to cook them to the right degree is to immediately remove the fries once the water shows its first big bubble.  If you make it to the rolling boil your fries will be overcooked and falling apart.

You should be able to pick up one of the fries without it breaking in half.

Spread your fries on a cookie rack to dry.

You can dry them in the fridge, convection oven, or with a hairdryer.

The surface should be dry and leathery. Refrigerate until cool.

Once the fries are dry and cold, fry at 325°f until a crust forms.

You don’t want the fry to colour.  It just has to form a crust.

Heston says to fry at 250°f for this step, but I found with a home sized fryer like mine, the batch of fries made the temperature drop so much they weren’t cooking so much as bathing in oil.

Return your fries to the cookie rack and refrigerate until cool.

Fry again in hot oil of 385°f until golden brown and crispy.  Won’t take long.

These fries are crispy good with no “limping” even after sitting out for several minutes.

The outer shell is crispy and crunchy, while the inside of the fry is hot, fluffy and salty.

Recap Quick Instructions

[print_this]

PERFECT FRENCH FRIES

1. Cut baking potatoes into medium sized fries.

2.  Place in pot of cold, heavily salted water. Bring to boil.  Once  you see the first big bubble of a boil, remove fries. They will be cooked, but not falling apart.  Drain and run under cool water.

3.  Dry and cool fries in fridge, convection oven or with hairdryer until leathery.

4.  Fry at 325°f until a crust forms but no colour.

5.  Shake out oil and cool in refrigerator.

6.  Fry again at 385°f until golden and crispy.

[/print_this]

Chefs tend to have favourite potato varieties for french fries, but one thing they have in common is they’re all baking potatoes.  A baking potato has the right amount of starch and moisture to make a good french fry.  Different chefs have different favourites in terms of potato varieties, but since most of us live in places where grocery stores carry “baking potatoes” as opposed to “Kennebec variety baking potatoes”, I’ll stick with telling you to use whatever baking potato you can find.

I … on the other hand … have purchased a bag full of Kennebec seed potatoes.  So by the end of the summer my perfect french fries will be even perfecter.

See here for how to make Guaranteed Crispy Sweet Potato Fries.

1. David says:

Late to the game on this one?

Oh well, in short, no vagina here; name’s David. Spleen’s another deal…
    No need to punch me anyhow. Your ‘perfect’ recipe for fries not only sounds reasonable from a preparation standpoint but at least in this boy’s (again, no vagina) kitchen, the amount of time that’s involved sounds totally doable, at least as a proof of (your) concept. If it doesn’t work, no worries. I don’t punch any vitals… cheers.

2. Reid Smith says:

This method works well for me, but for the blanch first phase I add some distilled white vinegar in addition to the salt. I use canola oil, but I’m going to try beef tallow or duck fat this spring. I usually do a full Russett, leaving me with about 3 servings, which freeze nicely. THe fryer lives in the garage year around and the oil gets changes every few months or so. Never in 45 years has this been a problem, for those who fret about storage.

Baking soda works well in the water too. I use that now when I want potato flesh that will fry well. I can’t even remember if I mentioned that in this post. I’ll have to go back and reread it, lol. ~ karen!

3. Daniel says:

Can these be done the night before upto stage 2, then do the final fry the next day?

4. My brother recommended I may like this website. He was once
    entirely right. This post actually made my day. You
    can not consider just how much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

5. However, if you’re beginning with scratch with no programming experience, I’d recommend that you learn Swift because it’s simpler to find
    out for beginners.

6. Donna Elder says:

I’ve been making these just like ur recipe states and They are perfect and my family LOVES them!! Thanks for doing the footwork to figure this out! Your writing is enjoyable and funny and I love your website! Again thank you!!!!

7. Dina says:

Hi Karen,

Long time follower of your site. I have yet to read a post that I haven’t found fun/interesting/worth while reading. But, THIS post…..I’m over the moon!

And I know the next time I make French fries I will try this method. But, I have to do it just like you. Which means using home grown Kennebec’s…..where do you buy the seeds? I’m sure you’ve mentioned it but try as I might, I can’t seem to find that information anywhere on your site. Please tell me:)

Hi Dina! You can buy Kennebec seed potatoes at most places that sell seed potatoes. So places like seed shops, TSC stores or even a lot of garden centres. They’re suddenly one of the more popular potatoes in terms of seed potatoes so they aren’t too hard to find. Most places carry Yukon Gold, Russet, a variety of red, Russian Blue or Peruvian Purple a type of fingerling and Kennebecs. Good luck! ~ karen!

8. Annie says:

I must agree I’m glad I was patient my fries ? were divine

9. MPoss says:

Honey, for those that want a quick and more contemporary version of making fries is using that shiny metallic box on your counter or on top of your fridge…. it’s called a microwave.
    The process, Moi Cherie?
    Peel an elongated potato of your choice.
    Place the peeled potato in your microwave and depending on the size of your potato, (now here comes the tricky part) you want to microwave it until the potato reaches what is referred to as that “parboil” stage -it’s that semi-soft, and less semi-hard stage. Try microwaving with time set to one and a half minutes. Pause/Stop microwave and with a folded paper towel (to protect from steam) -gently squeeze the potato for that semi-soft texture . If still hard, continue microwaving potato for an additional minute.
    The goal is to slightly soften the potato as a substitute and to eliminate that archaic method “first frying stage step”. When slightly softened – gently remove the potato with an oven glove/mit and allow to cool on a flexi cutting mat.
    Set your electric fryer to 400-450 range.
    Taking a long thin knife with an ultra thin blade (long bread knife with serrated edge works great) gently slice the (now sticky) potato to desired thickness length-wise and… blah, blah, blah. If it falls apart, you F.I.Up and must be new to cooking,however if knife slices easy through the potato, excellent.
    Gently place the cut fries in the frying basket and lower in the hot oil (which would be the second frying stage). Fry to desired crispiness – lift basket – drain – salt and eat.
    It’s fast – it’s simple and also LESS OILY than the traditional archaic way of frying potatoes.

10. T. Monsauret says:

I’d like to say to Marc
    “BTW, I saw the word ketchup mentioned…..if take so much trouble to make the perfect fries, you dont put ketchup on them. French fries and ketchup dont go well together. That is why civilised people like the French do not combine this. Not even top notch home made ketchup. If something, let it be a nice home made mayonnaise. But why not plain, with a bit of sea salt? Why destroy your work with confusing tastes? July 15, 2014 at 11:48 AM”
    that the French do eat fries with Ketchup, and absolutely not with mayonaise. The Belgians/Flemish do though. In Holland they combine the two sauces. Try ordering mayonaise with your moules frites next time you’re in France, you’ll be talk of the town.
    Bon chance.

11. Garret says:

Perfect!!! Best fry ever

12. Garret says:

I have to tell you what got me interested in your post on making fries was the “punch” my type of woman! So, it’s my birthday today and I’ve been looking and trying to make the perfect fry for years; and just by accident came across your site. I am excited about this because I only strive for perfection and don’t care how hard the process will be. I am hoping this will be what I am looking for and a b-day present to myself. One question have you tried to infuse the fries with flavor when you boil them? I know you use salt but have you tried anything else?

Happy birthday Garret! The only thing I’ve ever done is put a tablespoon or so of vinegar into the water because someone suggested it would help with something or other. I can’t remember what, lol. Crispiness I think. But I’ not sure if it helped or not. It didn’t hurt, but it didn’t give the fries any flavour either. Remember. Boil. Dry. Fry. Dry. Fry. Also your choice of potato matters. Something dry, not waxy. So russet or kennebec not Yukon Gold which is slightly waxy if oyu can help it. ~ karen!

13. JPH says:

I remember when a video was posted to a popular social bookmarking site with exactly this. I mean, every word of this article verbatim. I just spent an hour trying to find that video again, and only happened upon this article when I tried searching for phrases spoken in the actual video. That video was even posted around the same time as this article.

What I have found, aside from this article, are a few thousand videos copying the recipe. Poorly. And typically with incorrect instructions or really annoying narration.

Well I’d appreciate it if you found it/them Jeremy because I make my living with this blog and any and all writing and photographs are copyrighted. I don’t copy other people’s work and I fully expect people to not copy mine. ~ karen!

• JPH says:

The video didn’t include photos from this site, but it did include the language. All I recall other than that is, the narrator was male and was working in a decent home kitchen.

I’m fairly certain the video is gone now; I couldn’t find it. But it annoyed me that this page isn’t more visible in Google. Once that video hit that social bookmarking site, it’s as if every aspiring cooking show youtuber made their own version of the recipe.

It’s too bad we can’t just upvote results in Google to directly give them ranking, isn’t it?

14. Vanessa says:

Home made fries are a treat. They are NOT difficult, and like anything worthwhile, you have to work for it. I have done the twice fried method in the past. For oven baked fries, I toss the potatoes in an egg white and spray with evoo. Not great, but good for minimal effort. So looking forward to trying these! (with ketchup)

Glad you haven’t changed. 🙂 Keep it up!

15. Shen says:

Hey Karen, thanks for the recipe. I don’t mean to offend but I found that soaking it in heavily salted water really dried out the fries.

So, the next time I made it, I just sprinkled as little salt as I can, kept the soaking to a minimum and drain out the water.

I then boiled a separate pot of water with a teeny tiny sprinkle of clear vinegar(I think I got this tip from stack exchange’s recipe portal, the guy said the vinegar keeps the potatoes’ structure together) before tossing the cut potatoes in. I was afraid it would make for sour fries but I couldn’t taste the vinegar at all.

Combining your techniques and his yielded fries with a crunchy exterior and an arguably creamier centre.

I understand you take this recipe very seriously, but I just thought this might be something useful to add.

16. Marc says:

Excellent. I recognise your quest, and your way of writing and thinking. THIS is indeed the way to make m, no other way. Cheers for writing it down.

If I may add, for absolute perfection: it is better to have your potatoes a week or so at room temperature, I decided that years ago, cant remember exactly, but it came from the eternal food bible On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee. Something with different kinds of starches etc. Chemistry.

NO, NO! I must have ketchup with my french fries, lol. That’s just the way it is. Not on them but for dipping. I’m not sure what you mean about leaving the potatoes at room temperature. My potatoes are always kept at room temperature. Do you mean after one of the steps? Potatoes should always be kept at room temperature because temperatures below a certain degree convert the starch to sugar and you end up with sweetness in your potatoes. I do however, like a bit nice homemade mayo. ~ karen!

17. Rodger says:

I’ve been in search of the perfect fry for some time now. I’ve come close a few times, but alas. I have never tried the boil/re/ re cook method, but I will. Since I’m the cook in the family, I’ll have to offer up my wife’s vagina for the kicking part, should you ever catch me with fries in the oven.

I don’t have a problem with that. You should probably get her consent of course, but barring that I see no complications with your compromise. Good luck with the fries. ~ karen!

18. Noreta says:

First time coming across your blog. Funny lady! Reading this post makes me wish I had a fryer. But I don’t. And I won’t. Boo! I am on a quest for the “best I can do in an oven” oven chip. These ones look amazeballs, but I will have to move on. I am bookmarking your blog though! Very entertaining!

19. Nancy says:

OMG! I tried these today, exactly as you said to make them and they were DA BOMB! I will never go back to buying frozen fries or fast food fries again. They were better than McDonald’s (my husband thought so too). Tomorrow’s plain is to make a huge batch of these and freeze using your freezing method. ^.^

20. Gilles Lacasse says:

I purchased the T-fal Acti-fry and my fries are so good. First we cut them then they are in water then I dry them then one tablespon of good oil and 42 minutes later good fries

21. Jinnie says:

I wanted to make fries last night and went in search of a recipe when I found your post. Your tutorial is nicely written, I especially enjoyed your personal comments and the way you explained a few things like the ‘first big bubble’. Cute! And effective.
    So last night we had fries with our fish fry. They came out perfect on my first try. My sweetheart said they were the best he ever had. Plus I have a gallon sized zippie full of fries in the freezer.
    I just wanted you to know that your time to create the tutorial was appreciated. Thank you so much for giving me the confidence to try making freezer fries. I cant wait to try them with my home grown taters!
    Blessings and happiness in the upcoming holidays.

Aw, thanks Jinnie! I’m glad they worked for you and that you even went the step further to make frozen french fries. I think you’ll be amazed at how well they turn out even if you just throw them in the oven as opposed to the deep fryer. Welcome to my site, and I hope you come back. ~ karen!

22. Pedro says:

Tried this method on a stove top frier and even though the frying stages took a bit longer, they were, without a doubt the best fries I ever made. Going to try and make a larger batch and freeze them to quench late night urges. BTW they go great with a nice homemade garlic mayo!

Thank you very much Karen.

23. shonelle says:

We precook via oil being 110 degrees then fry at 170degrees

I used to do that Shonelle. But try this way. Honestly! Even if you only do it on special french fry occasions, LOL. They turn out perfect! Plus you can freeze them! ~ karen

24. Denise says:

I tried this recipe to make my own freezer french fries and they turned out fantastic! I want to only use organic potatoes and the frozen organics are sooo expensive. I followed the directions up to the first fry with a leathery coat. then i put the fries on a wire rack on a big cookie sheet and cooled in fridge. Then put them in freezer zip bags. When I wanted to have french fries I actually baked them in in 350 oven till browned. So tasty!

25. michelle says:

I enjoyed reading this feed! it cracked me up and made me laugh out loud… now going to the kitchen to deep fry my fries… jk

26. A says:

At what point did you freeze the fries?? I have a bunch of people coming over next week and would like to make them some of your homemade fries…but won’t have time to do them from scratch to serve them fresh the day of my supper – any suggestions on how to do them the day before and how to prepare them (quickly) right before I serve the other foods?? Thanks so much!!

27. Rhonda says:

Hi Karne,
    This is the funniest blog ever!! Thanks for sharing. I laughed so hard my hubby had to turn the tv off to see what was so funny! I don’t have a deep fryer because they scare the shit out of me, but I am considering getting one just so I can try this recipe. I LOVE potatoes!! Thanks for your 20 years of trial and error! 🙂

Thanks Rhonda! I just made these the other night. Made extra and frozen em. Yep. Yep I did. Welcome to my site. ~ karen!

28. william says:

Son all of y’all is just some fancy ass fool. To make the perfect frenchified fried potato proceed in this manner:
    1) Get y’all some fresh firm russet potatoes from Prince Edward Island, Canada; the cooler red soil combined with a light sea salt breeze forms the worlds perfect potato.
    2) Store these perfect spuds in a brown paper bag, not the paper bag they were shipped in. Make sure the storage area is cool and dark and does not have a humidity level above 35.
    3)When you remove the spuds from their dark storage area make sure your kitchen shades are drawn so that there will be minimal light shed upon the spuds naked, firm flesh as you peel away their outer sheathe.
    4)Do not under any circumstances gaze in a desirous manner upon their nakedness.
    5)This is the cruelest part of the process,( you may want to ask your children to step outside)choose the largest, sharpest knife you possess and proceed to carve the spuds into the shapes we all desire.
    6)Refrigerate the cut up spuds for no less than 4 hours.
    7)Heat Canola Oil in a large stainless steel pot until it reaches the smoking point, put 2 serving portions in the oil and blanch fry them until a slight brown crust forms on their outer edges, immediately remove them from the oil and place them in a paper lined crystal bowl, (Irish crystal is best). Repeat this step of the process until all the cut up spuds have been blanched. Do not over crowd the crystal bowls with blanched fries else they will stick together. Use 3 or more bowls in this step.
    8)Allow the blanched beauties to cool to room temperature, no cooler nor any warmer.
    9)Bring the Canola Oil back to the smoking point and fry the beauties until they have a reddish brown tone.

Voila, the Perfect Fried Potato chips.

William – They sound good. Not *perfect* … but good. ~ karen the fancy ass perfect french fry making fool.

29. Penny says:

Are you for real? punch in the vagina? Lame attempt at humour. Revise your style!

Hi Penny! Thanks for your input. You’re absolutely right. I’ll revise my style immediately. So you’ll be happy. Of course the half a million people that read this blog might be upset … but so long as you’re happy. ~ karen

• Bob Bertrand says:

Penny, I guess you hate all modern Hollywood movies, where each movie MUST contain a scene of a man getting kicked or grabbed in the testicles, often by a woman, very often by Angelina Jolie (guess Brad must be into S&M oops I meant M – Angelina is S).

Lighten up. One vagina punch for 317 testicle kicks is what the sexual equality women have been striving for!!!!!

Karen, what about Tenderflake? I’m trying various types. Peanut Oil is good but does impart a taste (depending on my mood, time of the month (and I’m a guy), I like or don’t like it. Olive Oil I didn’t like. Sunflower Oil I haven’t tried Cristco Oil I don’t like the taste. I found SAE 30 Oil was good and able to withstand high temperatures I switch to SAE 30W in the winter. And as every one knows, USED oil is best, so I get the SAE 30 oil from my car during its regular oil change.

I’ve heard that the reason deep fat fryers for HOME use can’t go to 425 (I’ve heard it mentioned that for the final fry this is best) is because some oils can’t take that temperature, and bad results have occurred (and when I say bad results, I’m not talking about the Fries being soggy……….hint – Fire Department).

Comments?

And thanks for the effort you’ve taken and sharing it with people more lazy than you Karen

I’m happy you’ve decided to keep Penny happy. That shows you care The rest of us will miss you Karen.

Well Bob. Clearly Penny is very important to me. I’d probably go with the car oil, if you use the really low end stuff. Anything higher grade will just end up tasting like you’re trying too hard. Ya know? They’re fries. No sense fancying them up. If worse comes to worse I’d go with lard believe it or not. Actually a combo of lard and vegetable oil would probably be the holy grail of frying. But that’s my opinion. Which probably isn’t to be trusted. ~ karen!

30. Tapiwa Banda says:

WOW! They taste really good! Just hope the electricity bill remains steady because i have a whole bag of potatoes that will be PERFECTLY french fried. Thank you for the yummy tip. 🙂

31. Tapiwa Banda says:

hie, im from malawi, africa. I really admire how the fries look firm. I wish you had pictures of cutting the potatoes though. I cant seem to shape them right with a knife. 🙁

Tapiwa – I shaped them special for the pictures. I don’t always shape them that perfectly because it takes a long time and you waste quite a bit of potato. To do it you need to cut the potatoes into bit squares so there aren’t any round edges on them basically. Then cut them into strips. That way the fries end up being perfectly straight on all ends and sides. If there are any rounded corners they won’t look right. Good luck! ~ karen

32. Mike says:

Karen.

Your method works. I have recently tried it and created the best chips I’ve ever cooked. Crispy and golden brown.

I just used ordinary tatties in veg oil. Keep up your excellent tips.

33. Myrella says:

Acctually, I’ve run into much more complicated, time consuming recipes in my lifetime (I’m only 12!)but this one is great! Thankyou!

Well then, you should give my homemade tortellini en brodo if you’re up for a challenge then! Congratulations on your cooking aptitute. And attitude. 🙂 ~ karen

34. Maxine says:

Just made them, just ate them. Best ever. I don’t have a fryer, just used my wok. Thank you 🙂

35. RustyCindy says:

In the middle of making the perfect fries I found they are delicious at every stage. We just took them out of boiling water placed in strainer basket and bit the end of one to try. I could eat them all now. No salt or ketchup required. On to the drying rack.!

36. Matt says:

Just made these and it really is the best homemade fries I’ve ever had!

37. Maria says:

I would rather punch myself in the vagina than make these.

38. Mpheza says:

This worked like a charm. My fries are now perfect. Oh buh sometimes u Don’t need to fry them twice if they’re fried for a longer time at minimal heat. It works well too.

39. Josh says:

YES! I have discovered a recipe for the “Perfect” french fries! the amount of work is no problem for me, even though I only have a deep pan and a will to make these fries.

Josh – Just be careful using the deep pan. Use a VERY deep pan. A few splashes and your house is up in flames. That might be a bit alarmist, but … just be careful. ~ karen!

40. Catherine says:

Just tried these and they turned out awesome!!!! Totally worth the work! Thanks for your 20 years of trial and error- we got it on the first try 🙂

41. Kiat Huang says:

I’ve not been to the Fat Duck yet. It’s about 20 miles away from where I live, but incredibly expensive a long booked out (note to self: book it!). However I did have the most delicious fries ever in a Dublin restaurant who followed Heston’s recipe, but used Duck fat for the final frying. This was inspired by the traditional English method of basting roast potatoes with duck or goose fat, even if the meat is beef, lamb, pork, chicken or whatever.

Unfortunately I’m not a potato eater any more but will give Karen’s crispy sweet potato fries recipe a try with a non-grain cornstarch substitute.

Very entertaining post and comments – great blog!

42. Pat says:

Dunno if they were perfect but they were pretty darn good 😉

Pat – I tried these the other night but wanted to make them more quickly and in the oven. So I boiled in salted water, dried them, tossed them in veg. oil and put them in the oven at 400 convection. Turned out crispy delicious! Not as good as in a deep fryer, but way better than they normally are in the oven. Plus I used Kennebec potatoes which are great for fries. ~ karen!

43. Jesús says:

I just hope those french fries be better than the pictured ones. They look so red, it makes me remember “sweet” potatoes and its horrible taste.
    I have a good “feeling” (come on, all those positive comments can’t be wrong …) about this recipe.
    Thanks for posting!.

44. Howard says:

I googled my way here while researching the Thrice Cooked method under discussion. I was struck by the similarity of process I heard described on the radio program “The Splendid Table” for two-step mashed potatoes.

I felt that the insight offered would be of interest.

Lynne Rossetto Kasper gives credit to CookWise by Shirley O. Corriher for the following food science tidbit.

“Precooking potatoes at 140-160° (in water) and then cooling swells (gelatinizes) and recrystallizes the starch, making it no longer soluble in water, therefore you have fluffy mashed potatoes. A little vinegar in the water adds a hint of flavor and helps prevent discoloration caused by hard water or stem-end blackening.”

This was particularity useful for prepping a day ahead of a Thanksgiving feast thus saving time & serving a superior spud for your guests.

45. Debbie says:

i just made these and they were very good – my family made them disappear very quickly. my husband even said he would julienne the potatoes next time i do them. yum – thanks for posting instructions for something so tasty but a bit of a mystery.

46. Lynn says:

I cant wait to try your method. This weekend is poutine weekend here complete with curds and home made brown gravy. Wish us luck. Want so much the PERFECT fry and this sounds to hit the mark right on. Ok everyone its poutine weekend.

47. Lisa Marie says:

You are way too f#*%ing funny, I love it. So refreshing I might add. I just came across your blog while researching pomme frites in duck fat. I definitely will be checking out your other stuff.

48. Alyssa says:

I am eating these right now…yum

• Nicole says:

Karen, You’re “Perfect French Fry” method sounds great and I do value my vigina! I have practicals for Culinary school tonight and am looking for the perfect french fry to cook as a side. I’m testing your method as we speak, however, I put a twist on it and am bringing the potatoes to a boil in chicken broth rather then just salted water. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the tip! :0) Nicole

• Nicole says:

Fries turned out great! Thanks again! I’m going to use this method tonight. :0)

Excellent! I e heard adding a bit of vinegar to the water (or chicken broth) helps with crispness. Something to do with chemistry. – karen!

49. Jane says:

These look yummy. Thank you. *smiles* Have you experimented with crisco vs oil? We did, (my husband and kids rather like chicken and fries) and the crisco won hands down for producing a crispy crust with and a soft center. I can only imagine how amazing they’d be if I used your perfect technique as well. Hm, but then I’d never be able to buy fast food fries again…