I Want a Goat.

I want a goat.

goat

Now, I realize that I can’t have one, but I’d still like to list the reasons I think it’s important for me to have a goat.

1. Because I really, really, really want one.

2. The Goat would keep the chickens company when I’m away.

3.  Goat’s are cute. When you stand by something cute you automatically look cuter and more likeable.  In Denmark,  less attractive girls always bring goats to bars with them.  It’s called Goat Cuteing.  It’s been going on in Scandinavian countries for the better part of this century.

4.  Having goats will make me exactly like The Fabulous Beekman Boys. Only I won’t be a boy and I won’t be gay.  But I will like boys.  And if liking boys makes me gay then I’m gay all day.

5. I could name the goat Clementine.

6.  I could make goat’s cheese with my own goat.  I would make her an apron and we’d spend a lot of time talking over coffee in the kitchen while we made our cheese.

7.  I would have the most exotic pet on my street if you don’t count the lady up the street with the well groomed moustache.

8.  Goat’s look funny when you put a hat on them.

9.  I could get one of those goats that grows a beard and dress it up as Abraham Lincoln for Halloween. (see above reference to hats)

10.  It’s important for me to have a goat because taking care of it will prepare me for taking care of a baby.  Not my baby of course. If I were to have a baby at my age it would come out looking like E.T.

Which, come to think of it … is almost as cute as a goat.

1. kelliblue says:

Late to the party as ever. ๐Ÿ™ I agree, you need goats. Specifically Nigerian Dwarf goats. Why? Because here’s why, and a better explanation I never read. So good an explanation, in fact, it enticed me into buying some of their soap…something YOU need to try your hand at…and then tell us all about it:

Besides, they are SO STINKIN’ CUTE! Lookit, just lookit: http://tinyurl.com/mbvuych (sorry I’m YELLING again but I do that when I’m excited) ๐Ÿ™‚

They will cause people to come flocking to your little “farm in the city.” Goats, chickens, cats, veggie gardens, patio, you…what’s not to love? ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh I know I WANT a goat! I just can’t have a goat. ๐Ÿ™ Hiding chickens is nerve wracking enough. I could never hide a goat. Goats are bouncy. ~ karen!

2. Zed 13 says:

You do know that goats are one of the reasons the so called “fertile crescent” and environs is nothing but desert now? nothing makes a desert like goats.

3. Helana says:

Karen,

Really you need two goats. Because they’re herd animals and don’t do well alone. Truly. So it’s all about them. And their welfare. Completely. 100%.

And, seriously, goats are amazing. Like a cross between cats and dogs. Also, they bounce on all four feet when they’re happy, like that skunk in the bugs bunny cartoons.

Really, it doesn’t get much better than that.

4. Nic says:

My neighbours have, along with several sheep that shed their own fleece, an alpaca. I am so jealous that I’ve thought about trying to make my cats look more like alpacas, but I’ve got to be honest, I’m not sure how I’d manage it.

5. Caedwin says:

We have goats! Fainting goats (aka myotonics); and we even have a beautiful doe (a lady goat) whose name is Clementine!

6. Maureen says:

You forgot to add to your list: baby goats hop around like Tigger. It’s ridiculously cute. I almost kidnapped (ha – get it! kidnap!) one when I went on a tour. You can see cute baby goat photos on my blog post about why baby goats helped me fall in love with my new town: http://www.marianisima.com/2013/05/03/i-think-im-in-love/

7. Karen says:

It has been my dream to buy a house with enough land to have a few goats. Then my little collie-mix Buddy would have something to herd besides his humans. And, oh the cheese I could make.

You go girl…go get that goat!

Karen @ annumography

8. Patti says:

Ok, cow’s are a whole other blog post, and I can’t get enough of those gorgeous Highlands. Yes, goats are the next step after chickens IMO. Love my girls, love my children…my nest is starting to get empty as my human kids are starting to leave home, so now that I finally got my husband to let me get the girls, I’m working on the goats. As this is a partnership, and I will need him to build them a home, I will have to wait patiently. He built an awesome coop and a great raised bed garden for me, and a few basements, decks….a lot of stuff over the past 30 yrs., so I will wait patiently.

9. Stefanie Barrett says:

Oh no…now you’ve made my husband mad. For months I begged for a miniture goat. How much trouble can a miniture anything be?

While researching how to acquire one, I came across mini moos – miniture cows!!! (Well now we know where Babybelcheese comes from.)

This led to my redesign of our 15’x40′ side yard into a minature farm with a minature boarder collie to keep everyone in check The HOA be damned!

Finally my husband destracted me with enough shiney things that I forgot my miniture dream until your article inspired me. Thank you!

M i n i a t u r e c o w s ? ? ? ?

• Marcy says:

My husband and I have a similar plan. We have a pomeranian which is obviously a mini dog so I told him if he ever gets a cat it has to be mini so it’s smaller than the dog, which led us to think about bantam chickens, and mini goats – add mini pigs and mini cows and our dog would look regular size. Right?

10. rktrixy says:

I wonder if you could SHARE a goat with someone near you… you know, like sponsor a goat? You could come and play with it, help to care for it (sort of like stabling a horse), and get a share of the milk for making cheese. Yummy, yummy cheese.

Maybe you can’t have a goat live with you, but can they come visit? Like to take care of the weeds in the deep back yard? And to sit in your kitchen for coffee. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Kristin says:

They are legal in several cities in the US, including here in Seattle! We added them to our backyard last year and love, love, love it. We drink the milk and make cheese. I’m hoping to get better at the cheese making this year and start yogurt too.

12. Mae says:

I also want a goat! But I find your misuse of apostrophes to be distracting. Why does the plural form of goat need an apostrophe?

13. Kristi says:

Goats are like juvenile delinquents. Sheep, on the other hand, are sweet as can be. I’ve owned both. If you watch “Shaun the Sheep” the episode named “Mower Mouth” you will see their personalities perfectly displayed. Spinning wool, very cool hobby.

14. Stacey says:

If you get one goat, you must get two. They need each other and are used to being in a herd. They are EXTREMELY lonely (and thus not happy/healthy) if they are the only goat. Unless, of course, you raise them with a dog or something that gives them companionship. I vote Nubian — my personal favorite! ๐Ÿ™‚

15. ev says:

Karen! Please spend time with goats before you get one! PLeeeze!
    They are only “Cute” from a distance! What they are really like are teenagers (or two-year olds) on drugs, the kinds that make you freaky and mean! I am an avowed animal-loving-person. But, just say no!

16. Christie says:

Hey, what a coincidence! Your #1 reason for wanting a goat is the same as mine! (It’s also the same reason I want a baby – BECAUSE I WANT ONE! – but that’s a story for another day).

17. Laura Bee says:

Oh my darlin’ ~ a gal can dream.
    I want sheep, just two so I don’t have to mow the lawn & can make scarves from their wool.

18. Julie says:

Here in Victoria they have a petting zoo at the Beacon Hill Park where they have daily goat stampedes. You can also groom the goats. You would love it! Take a look at the photo gallery: http://www.beaconhillpark.ca/childrenspark/index.html

19. Barbie says:

ALL very good reasons to own a goat! I would list all those reasons as well for getting a goat myself in fact!

20. Ellen says:

I;ve got chickens now I WANT GOATS!!!!! And I’ve wanted goats for 30 years. It’s time.

21. Nicole says:

and here I thought I was the only one who longed for goats. When I was a kid, the goat and chicken barns were my favorite part of the county fair. Even better than the elephant ears!

I would call my goat Jezebel.

22. Shauna says:

Oh my gosh, I’ve been wanting a goat (and bees) for some time now, but it’s an absolute no go for my husband. Crazy enough, I could actually have one in my urban neighborhood and people would just think I’m crazy cool (not just crazy). I actually had a dream recently that my Mom gave me a goat for a present and my husband was soooo mad at her. So, goat owning will only be in my dreams I guess.

23. nicole d says:

oh my goodness, my husband and I were talking about getting a goat for our back yard JUST this weekend! … another perk would be the goat eating your grass (so you dont have to mow it), and fertilizing your lawn… ANDDD they don’t bark at the neighbours’ dogs, like all my other neighbours pets do…

… also, i have a parrot fish named Clementine. she’s the cutest. love that name. ๐Ÿ™‚

24. Denise says:

I was thinking you are crazy til I got to the word Clementine, awwhhh!

25. Goats are awesome pets. I had Nigerian Dwarf goats (no Clementine, but we did have Penelope, Patrick and Toasted Marshmallow) and they DID in fact keep the chickens company! They love getting into mischief and are total love-puppies and want to be with their humans ALL the time! So darn cute. Get one.

26. White says:

You.Do.Not.Want.A.Goat.

27. cecil says:

I took a class called “Goats for Fun and Profit”. I did learn goats are juvenile delinquents. They’re constantly looking for trouble and they will eat every plant in sight. EVERY. PLANT. Other than that, they’re cute.

28. Nancy Blue Moon says:

I agree with whoever said that you need to move to the country..You really are a country girl at heart Karen..I would never live in town again..You feel so much freer in the country..I can walk outside and breath in the fresh air..Well OK maybe not all the time like in the spring when the farmers spread manure in the fields..Plant wherever you want on your land..raise whatever animals you want..and don’t have to worry about any city ordinances..I am right on the edge of the woods and a tall ridge on one side and I have a small stream on the opposite side of the property..I love to sit outside and soak up the fresh air and sunshine..Love it!!! I also know that you would be successful at raising goats in spite of their habits..cause that’s the way you are..You are not a giver upper..

Nancy – The thought *has* crossed my mind, but I’m afraid I’d miss people. I’m not terribly social, but I like to have people around to you know … borrow tools from. ~ karen

• Nancy Blue Moon says:

We do still have neighbors close enough to chat with and we have so many tools that we are the ones that get borrowed from..lol

29. Marion says:

Get a goat! A friend of mine’s dad had a pet one that he trained to walk on a leash. He used to ride around town with the goat in the passenger seat of his truck. It was the cutest thing ever!!!

30. Becca says:

Go for the goat! You’ll never have to mow the lawn again. Or prune a shrub. Or harvest a garden. Oh. You want the garden? Hmmmm… get the goat and build a better fence, one that the goat won’t eat.

31. Jeannie B says:

I’m married to an old “goat”!

32. debbie O'Rourke says:

Get a Jack Russell, they are the closest to a goat… except for the killing of small animals part.. and the poop…and the yapping…and the bed hogging… oh actually, never mind, donkey’s now.. they are pretty awesome…

33. ruth says:

Your list of reasons to get a goat are solid. Who could argue?

34. Tracy says:

We needed a half acre cleared so I bought a goat and named her Rosie. She came home in the back of my little red hatchback. She ate up all the blackberry bushes (thorns and all, never bothered her a lick!), all the scrub brush… everything! When she was done about a year later, we gave her away, fatter and happier, to a 4-H club. The only problem was, she needed a friend. You can’t just have 1 goat; they are herd animals. She’d get lonely and would melt herself down, slide under the fence (goats are nearly impossible to corral), re-assemble as a goat on the other side, and come bounding to our back door, headbutting it to be let into the ‘big barn’. Every. Day.

35. ~JackieVB says:

I was reading a post at The Contrary Farmer one day entitled ‘Training Cows’. In the comments section people were talking about the pros and cons of raising goats vs. cows and one of the funniest comments was
    “I canโ€™t believe anyone would recommend goats, but I guess it takes all sorts. I donโ€™t know much about cows, but I canโ€™t ever remember anyone having to get them down off the roof of the house before you can milk them. ”
    I don’t own any animals yet but I do a lot of research for when I own my farm and it is interesting to get to hear about the true nature of animals of any kind.
    Of course if you visited some newborn baby goats you’d fall in love and wouldn’t care about any of their habits!

36. Janet says:

Do you have a sturdy tree in your yard? You could get a goat from Morocco…they climb trees, it says so on the internet. Maybe if you had a big leafy tree, no one would notice you were harboring goats.