I’m not back. But the Chickens are.

Well hello all.  It’s me.  Karen.   From The Art of Doing Stuff.  You may remember me.

Regular posts will be returning in a week or so.  What with me being gone and Charles in Charge being cancelled, I was worried you were getting bored.  So I have some entertainment for you.

I’m not back, but the chickens are.

You may notice the large box with the chicken in it just to the right.  You can come back here any day until my return and click on the box to watch video of the chickens live.

arrow

Lest you think watching chickens isn’t as entertaining as my regular posts, I would like to point out that chickens eat food off each others faces.

The camera will be up from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. E.S.T.  Maybe.  Probably.  Give or take a few hours.  Shit, I don’t know.  Quit bugging me.

Enjoy and see you soon.

1. Leona says:

Happiness!!!! We do miss you. But the chickens are a nice distraction. I think I will bring this up on my iPhone and introduce your chickens to my chickens!

The chickens all say, “pew-pew” btw. Which means either, “Hello and sending love” or they are playing cowboys and Indians…. not real sure.

2. Johan says:

welcome back Karen! I missed you! Many others too it seems 😉

I make no excuses for the fact that I can’t seem to view the chickenCam without thinking of grilled lemon/rosemary/garlic thighs.
    How is your garden doing?

3. Debbie J says:

Like some others, I find myself fixing things around the house. All due to your wonderful blog. Miss you.

4. Suzanne in Austin, Texas says:

I am thrilled to read the missive from the chicks. Have been thinking of you and wishing you well. Take your time and take good care of yourself. All my best.

Thanks Susan. I’ve been back part time and starting Tuesday I’m back at it full time with posts to follow. ~ karen!

5. Dana R says:

How about the joke of the day from my quirky 9-year old son:
    Why did the chicken cross the mountain?
    He was an egg-cellent climber.
    Yeah, I know, but he is proud of it.

May it get lighter every day for you. Know that people care.

6. Brie says:

I was so excited to see you in my inbox!! I’m happy you posted- it lets us all know that you are starting to rally. You’ve been in our thoughts, and we can’t wait to see you come back stronger than ever.

It’s strange you know, how you can feel so deeply sad for someone you have never met. My jaw hit the table when I read the last announcement, and I actually dropped tears when you revealed his name. That was how I knew you were serious…. I thought it was a joke at first.

You are fierce, and you will be stronger and better than ever in no time. I look forward to your posts returning 🙂 You bring so much joy to the world. It’s amazing to see the love and support thrown your way from complete strangers!

You. are. loved.

7. FlagirlinTN says:

Men suck….chickens don’t.

8. Natika says:

I was over-joyed to see that there was a post here again! And I like watching the chickens. Keep taking care of yourself. I hope to see you back again soon!

9. Thomas says:

Hugs, I miss you. You make me smile every day. (God I hope its ok for a man to post on here, I do have chickens and I think my subconscious is female is that ok?)

10. Rose says:

Glad to see you surface, even if it’s just to give us reassurance that you’re alive and recovering (somewhat). Maybe we need to create another enzyme cleaner type thing from pintrest so we can leave it somewheres at his new place so he constantly wonders what’s that horrible smell? What?! I’ve never done that before, honest. You’ll never pin it on me!
    Seriously Karen, we’re all here for you. Hope to “see” you soon!
    Cheers

11. nicola jones says:

The Coop Cam is not the only great thing to come out of your break-up…I am sure of it. But even if it is- that is pretty fricken awesome.

12. sera says:

Karen. I’m not trying to bug you but I just wanted to send my love. Not creepy love, but genuine kindness from one of your fans who recognizes your awesomeness, your strength, your spirit. Take your time. We all need time that we don’t take when it’s most necessary. We’ll all still be here when you feel your voice returns. In the meantime, we will all be thrilled with your chickens.
    hugs,
    sera

13. Nancy Blue Moon says:

Well Karen..just have to tell you the news..My boyfriend left me last night..after 17 years together..Another woman..Maybe we should start a club..

• Adrienne says:

THEIR loss, ladies. No question.

• Natika says:

I know you don’t know me, but you are such a frequent commenter on here that I feel a certain familiarity and warmth towards you. I’m really sorry to hear this! I will be thinking about you and mentally sending you positive energy, too.

14. Pam'a says:

Two thoughts:
    1. The only thing worse than what you’re going through is going through it without a gaggle of adoring fans to buoy your spirits. (!)

2. Yes, it’s true– Time does heal all wounds, but it takes WAAAY too damned long.

Wind at your back, Miss K.

15. Kasia says:

You are such an inspiration. Thank you 🙂

16. Theresa says:

*hugs*

17. Melissa Leach says:

Lovin’ the coop cam. Waiting anxiously for your return. Hey, what is in the large galvanized tub seen in the coop?

Hi Melissa – The galvanized tub holds dirt and sand. That’s what the chickens bathe in. They love it. ~ karen!

• Shelly says:

There is an absolutely hilarious bit that Ellen DeGeneres did in her old TV show…way, way, back. Her friend convinces her to go to a spa and they take a “mud bath”. YouTube, Hulu, or somebody might have it…if I can find it in my DVD collection of stuff I’ll try to post a clip. Guaranteed to make you laugh so hard baked beans come out of your nose 😉

18. Jenny B says:

So glad to hear a snippet from you. I know you don’t want a big emotional comment, but you’re very loved in the blog world and we are all thinking about you and hoping for the best for you. It is really bizarre how much we care (the royal we, but I also mean I know everyone feels like I do).

19. Kristin says:

When you posted your last post, I was so shocked at your news that I felt I had to tell, well, someone! But no one in my circle of friends/daughters/co-workers was a Karen follower, so I had to try to explain how upset and confused I was. I was so concerned, I had to keep checking in on your blog. I even had a dream that you updated something! You two seemed great together, and I can’t believe he would choose to let that go. But I have had the same thing happen to me, so I know how you feel and how stricken you must be. My former step-father once told me (after a devastating breakup), “It gets better. It hurts now, and it will for a while, but it does eventually get better.” Which is true. To varying degrees, but true. Don’t get stuck in the “he was my soulmate and the only one” tripe.

20. Erin says:

I’ve been a big fan for a long time but I’ve never been a commenter! But Karen, you’re a hoot and I miss reading about your adventures. Thanks for doing what you’re doing in life, it’s an inspiration.

And Naomi, you should build a little free library for all those books!

21. Marti says:

Hurray! I knew The Girls would save you!
    Well, them and the pizza dough!

22. Kelly says:

Huzzah for chickens! Huzzah for you!

23. Helana says:

Karen,

I know you’ve got this. I mean,if you can lay tile and redo your entire backyard, you can handle this too. Hang in there.

24. Maria says:

A Karen sighting! I’m hatching with happiness!

25. Tigersmom says:

Oh noooooooooooooooo! I checked in to do my daily clicking of your sponsors and 3 of them are missing! I sincerely hope that my clicking suggestions are not the reason for their absence. Or if they are, it is at least because you are rolling in ad revenue.) I was just wanting to help you in the only way I could right now. And I have genuinely bought stuff on Amazon through your site.
    I hope my efforts to help haven’t turned into further hurt. If they have, I am so sorry and if there is anything I can do to repair any damage, please let me know.

“And now for something completely different…” You are sounding like yourself again in your responses. That warms my heart.

Tigersmom – I’m fine. Well I’m not fine, but I’m definitely not the type to let anyone ruin my entire life forever. Will. Not. As far as the ads, those are my monthly Etsy sponsors that are missing. I just haven’t had time or energy to send out my advertising email to see who wanted to take part for August. ~ karen!

• Toronto Boy says:

That is one of the reasons why i enjoy visiting your blog! It’s your tenacity! One lesson I learnt this week was that no matter what happens in life, keep plodding forward and avoid looking back! Everyday that passes by is a lesson learnt. Life afterall is a journey. Accept what has happened, realign your senses, and keep walking forward!

26. Domico says:

Inspired by your chicken coop, I switched over to farm eggs instead of commercial eggs 😉

Change the world one step at a time!

27. mayr says:

Maybe it’s time for some goat cuteing. It can’t hoyt.

28. Barbie says:

So happy to see this post! Blessings on you Karen!

29. Deb says:

Karen:

I absolutely love love love how many lives you’ve touched and how many of us worry for you, cry with you and laugh together. The news was heartbreaking and I did cry. And here we are, rallying, encircling and protecting. I love it! You are missed. Do take care until you return. And I think a little pigmy (pygmy?) goat is an excellent idea.

30. Jaime says:

*hugs and tea*. It’s okay to be down as long as you get back up.

31. Thank goodness! I’ve nearly read through your entire archive! Or maybe not quite yet…so much funny and amazing goodness.

Take your time. We’ll all be here for you when you’re ready.

32. stephbo93 says:

I’ve been checking in periodically to see if you were surfacing yet and sending good thoughts your way every time I saw that you weren’t. I had a Chris once who broke my heart. I practically lived on my best friend’s couch for a month. She had been through three different men named Chris. Maybe we should all just avoid anyone named Chris in the future. Just a thought.

33. Scooterv says:

I have lurked and stalked your blog for a couple years but never posted until now. YOU MADE ME FIX MY OWN TOILET. Because if Karen can do it so can I. And I fixed my own dryer and put in a kitchen floor. I miss you and need to see what else you can do. Take care and come back soon.

34. Susan says:

Drat! I was gone all day and missed the Chicken Cam! Will definitely carve out some time tomorrow morning for it, though! Very glad to see you dip your toes into your blog, again. We said we’d be here. We are. Hi. 🙂

35. Amber says:

Can I recommend burritos? My favorite comfort food, with the rice cooked in broth with tomato paste, black beans with onions and garlic, lots and lots of limes and tomatillos and those amazing tomatoes… I like to think that using yogurt mixed with sriracha instead of sour cream may make me look less like a burrito, but dieting is for winter.
    I wish you all the best. We all want to see you back again. Take all our hugs. Make a fan-quilt. Lots of love, and thank you for being yourself.

Hi Amber. Strangely enough I had one tonight. It was gross, LOL. I normally like them but it was TOO big. Way too big. TOO BIG. My one issue with Mexican food is there aren’t enough vegetables. I need my vegetables! ~ karen

36. Naomi says:

I’ve wanted to drop off an armload of great reads at your house, but dismissed the notion as creepy. If it were me, I’d want the books. But maybe you’d be creeped out by a total stranger who follows your blog providing bibliotherapy. If you want books, just let me know, and I can put them in your mailbox – or drop them off at Picone’s for you to pick up. I went to university with Lisa and she knows I’m not loco. Whatever the case, I’m thinking of you and am totally amazed that you posted anything so quickly.

Hi Naomi! Thanks for the offer. What a nice idea! I can’t believe how thoughtful people have been. I’m pretty loaded up with books at the moment so I don’t think I’ll need them.

karen!
      um … out of curiosity … you know just for interest’s sake … what are some of the books? LOL!

• Naomi says:

Two options – you can borrow some of mine or I can treat you to a brand new bundle to keep. From my own shelves, here’s what I was thinking:

Mary Lawson – The Other Side of the Bridge
        Elizabeth Hay – Late Nights on Air
        Catherine Gildner – Seduction
        Heather O’Neill – Lullabies for Little Criminals
        something by Marian Keyes – I have a bunch

And I’d probably throw in something brand new that I don’t own yet. I think your reading tastes are a bit higher octane than mine, so maybe the newest Evanovich.

Anyway, the offer stands whenever you’ve read through your stack. Thinking of you and hoping you’re showered with treats.

37. Kathy says:

I’ve missed you so much! Thanks for the Chicken Cam and take good care of you!

38. Karen says:

Hello Chick who’s not not a chicken when it comes to living! Love your blog and all the cool projects you undertake and share with us. You rock girl!
    Just checked in on my chickadees(three grown children with lives and dreams of their own that I mother from afar)and I implore to figure 1/2 of what you bring to the table on a regular basis!

39. Ev says:

Thanks for the chicken cam. We needed that! best to you, Ev

40. Mary says:

Wow, I have missed you so. In your absence, I realized you are a vital part of my life though I have never met you and it seems silly to be so attached to a blogger so far removed from my personal life but you make me laugh and the older I get the more value I place on that gift. Thanks for coming back.

41. Shirley says:

Baby steps at first and soon you’ll be striding across the blogosphere again in 7-league boots. You are one of the strongest women I know and NOTHING will keep you down!

42. Renee says:

Just shook hands at the net after 11 years, myself. I deserve better. You deserve better. *holy balls, do we deserve each other???* Kidding. Unless you’re down, then I’m serious. No really. Just kidding. Only kinda. …anyway, take great care, roll up the lessons learned, throw them over your shoulder and hike on. You can think that you couldn’t have been better matched, but I’ll put money on the fact you’ll find someone who debunks the notion. For now, fall in love with yourself and let his undoubtable regret kick his ass.

43. cc says:

You make my day Karen, Keep Strong, we all love you here..
    There are plenty fish in the sea… Men can be so stupid some time the fella will wake up and say WTF and you can already say SEEYA..
    Big hugs and thanks for the chicken cam

44. Megan Hodson says:

You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection. – Buddha

Take your time,and take care of yourself! Miss you!

45. Michelle says:

We are looking forward to having you back! Take care!

46. maria TO says:

Have missed your witty sense of humour — always adds a smile to my day no matter how crappy it’s been! Hoping the heart feels a little lighter as each day passes.

47. Dianne says:

I have been sick at heart since your news. If you can manage it, maybe it’s time to think about getting that goat now?

48. Nancy Blue Moon says:

That’s my girl..chin up and eyes straight ahead on the future..Thanks for sharing the girls again..Hope I can catch them doing the chicken dance..lol..Take care lady!

49. Linda says:

Chicken Coop for the Soul…

50. Anna N says: