3 TV Shows You Should be Watching

I love television.  I love it with all of my heart, and I’m not embarassed to say it.  It’s become quite a thing lately to not own a television.  To look at TV as some kind of obscene, pedestrian blob.

You know those people who say “Oh no, I’ve never seen that.  We don’t watch television“.  I hate those people.  Not because they don’t watch television but because they always say it in such a condescending, snotty way.  Like television is just one rung beneath scab picking as a form of entertainment.

Whenever people get all snooty on me because of television I think, Um.  It’s television.  It’s changed the world and the way we see it.  The moon landing, JFK being shot, even last year’s heartwarming rescue of the Chilean Coal miners.  All made possible by television.  And let’s not forget Jersey Shore.

The point is, I like television and the people who think it’s beneath them are pretentious assholes.   Oops.  I didn’t really mean to say that out loud, but it’s out there now so why bother deleting the sentence.

So if you are one of those people who think watching television is the equivalent of sticking a syringe into your brain and sucking out all the gray matter … stop reading now and join up again for Tuesday’s post.

Because today … I’m going to introduce you to 3 television shows that you may not be watching – but should.

N u r s e   J a c k i e

Nurse Jackie revolves around the life of drug addict nurse Jackie Peyton played by who I consider to be the most unsung, yet best actress of our time … Edie Falco.

Edie Falco won the Emmy for Best Comedic Actress for her role as Nurse Jackie last year.

1/2 hour. (Showtime)

Season 3 just finished airing.

Click here to watch the trailer and get a taste of it.

B o a r d w a l k   E m p i r e

Martin Scorsese’s Boardwalk Empire revolves around the times of Prohibition in gangster run Atlantic City.  Fantastic cast led by Steve Buscemi.

Won  Emmy for Best Dramatic Series last year.

1 hour. (HBO)

Season 2 premieres September 25th.

Click here to have a look at whether Boardwalk Empire is to your liking.

B r e a k i n g   B a d

Breaking Bad follows the life of Walter White, a chemistry teacher who starts making and selling crystal meth after being diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer.

Brian Cranston has won the Emmy for Best Lead Actor in a Drama for the past 3 years for his role on the show.

We named our Rooster, Tuco, after an unbelievably frightening character from Breaking Bad. You can see him at 0:50 in the trailer.

Season 4 currently airing on AMC.

1 hr.

Take a look here to see a promo for Breaking Bad.

There are scads of other shows I would recommend, Dexter comes to mind, but these are the 3 I think you might not be watching.  It seemed like a good time to tell you about them.   Fall is pretty much shuffling towards all of us in North America and with that season comes a whole lotta television watching.

If that doesn’t interest you, I can direct you towards the nearest scab.

1. Margaret K. says:

I agree with Karen about a lot of things and am thoroughly enjoying my trek through her posts. However, we differ on this one. I didn’t have a TV growing up in the 50’s and 60’s and didn’t have one after I got married for many many years. For one thing, the absence eliminated all arguments with the kids over limits and who got to choose which show. We have one now though – first just to watch DVDs and now we have UVerse for my husband. It’s just not my preferred method of information intake. Even with the DVDs, I only watched occasionally. I hope I never came across as condescending when I had to admit to people that I had never seen their favorite shows, because I certainly didn’t intend to. I just happen to prefer reading and browsing the Internet. And my big spare time sink is Internet multi-player gaming – so you can sniff condescendingly about that, if you like. Plenty of people do think it’s a weird occupation for an adult.

2. Elizabeth says:

Those shows sound pretty awesome.
    If I had a tv, I would watch them. I gave it up because the commercials drive me nuts, it’s like having an invasion of crazy people in my living room, and to get the good shows and to get the options to record and play without the commercials, you have to spend a fortune. I don’t have a fortune, and if I did, I would spend it on art supplies or something. I used to wander off at the start of commercial time, and finally wander back just in time for another 8 minutes of them.
    SOOOOOOO—-I opt for wonderful websites like yours, Karen, which I found from Design*Sponge, and spending time and energy on Art, projects to make my home nicer and function better, and I really don’t miss it. Of course, if I was in the process of ripping out half the floors in my house and rebuilding them as you are, I would most likely want to crash in front of the tv too. And fall asleep during commercials.
    Thank you a million thanks for your blog, I just love it!
    Elizabeth W.

3. tiffany says:

a girl after my own heart, i don’t trust people who don’t watch tv, i mean they are probably lying their butts off about it..like when they say i never watch tv, but what they really mean is they don’t watch “network” tv, only national geographic or cooking or whatever…hello! tv is TV, no matter the channel.. but i digress. point being, wanted to say hello, first time to your blog, totally about to vote for you at a.therapy and have you watched raising hope yet.. cloris leachman and martha plimpton are brilliant!! xo, tiffany

Tiffany – Welcome to my site. The A.T. thing as been great in terms of introducing my blog to different people. And no .. I haven’t seen Raising Hope yet. I’m on it! (as in I’ll take a look for it, not as in I’m on that actual television show”. ~ karen!

• tiffany says:

(; it’s definitely one of those shows that i don’t think enough people are watching and is hilarious.. if you watch an episode to “see if you like” try Jimmy’s Fake Girlfriend it aired 2 weeks ago and i think you’re blog is great, i just tweeted about it and linked to voting for you! (not that you need it, looks like you are well in the lead) *tiffany*

4. Gknee says:

Don’t forget ‘Treme’!!! Amazing show.

5. Leslie says:

I LOVE television, but, to quote Edward R. Murrow, who hijacked it from Karl Marx, it is the opiate of the masses. And I certainly see it’s effect on me, which is why I got rid of my television for year, but when we moved, (mostly so that I could have chickens and homegrown veggies), my husband demanded his television.

I try not to watch it and it’s not that hard these days because it’s hard to find good stuff on, and now there’s the Internet, Hulu, Streaming videos from wherever. More drugs! whoo hoo!

6. Vicki V says:

My husband is a Breaking Bad addict. The writing on that show is unbelieveable!

7. Marissa says:

Nurse Jackie is great.
    Unfortunately I don’t have HBO, but I love Steve Buscemi, so I’m sure I will watch that when it’s on Netflix.

Breaking Bad is phenomenal! Every episode is thrilling. I can’t get enough of it – only two more episodes left this season. I’ll be sad to see it go, but glad that Walking Dead will be returning.

Marissa – I said to my boyfriend that the last episode of Breaking Bad was like a final episode it was so good. The directing was unbelievable! ~ karen

8. Bridgette says:

Karen, Breaking Bad is now on Netflix too!

9. Lem says:

I LOVE Boardwalk Empire…I am so excited for the return. I can’t get into Nurse Jackie but have heard great things about Breaking Bad so I will probably try to catch up on it when I am snowed in this winter, lol. Funny thing is that I record many shows that I don’t really watch, I just scan them. I Like Mad Men for design inspiration & I am doing the same with the new series Pan Am since it is set in the 60s. I also love the sets & clothing in Boardwalk as well as the the plot & Steve Buscemi is so awesome in anything! Lem

10. Melissa D says:

Another one here who’s missing out. I’d love to watch all 3 (and we did watch season 1 of BB) but with 3 kids under 6 I am so tired at night. So very tired. And we ditched satellite this year and bought a Roku — much cheaper than a monthly cable/sat bill and I can monitor what the kids watch much better. Occasionally I’ll buy a season of something to watch via Amazon but that’s as expensive as a cable bill once you really do the numbers.

I’m obsessed with my Kindle, though, and spending there. Sigh.

11. marilyn meagher says:

i love tv too…love it..you should check out rules of engagement..funny funny show

12. ELISE says:

YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT LUTHER! IT’S DA BOMB.COM

13. mary says:

Love nurse Jackie. I don’t have cable either. I watch everything a little later for cheap on hulu+ right onto my TV.