The Difference Between a Farm Fresh Egg and a Store Bought One.

Egg Yolks 3

So?  There’s one on the left, and one on the right.  Which is which?

One egg is a 100% organic, free range egg from a grocery store.

One is a 100% organic, free range egg from my coop.

1. Lucinda says:

left – definitely!

2. Aly says:

Wow, I have no idea! I’m a city girl. And now I’m even more usure after reading the comments.

Am I the only one that sees a pair of slightly lopsided boobs when I look at that picture? Or wonky eyes staring at me. A bit creepy actually.

3. Cindy G. says:

I’d say the one on the left, because you don’t have a rooster… and the one on the right looks like an egg that’s had a rooster involved…

4. Tamsen says:

If it is the one on the right, you might want to give up and buy your eggs from Safeway

5. shelly says:

The left egg is the freshest. You know this by a few things. the more bubbled yoke and the fact the white is nice an tight towards the center. Over time the eggs membrane tends to break down and cause it too be more runny.

Looks like a AA rated egg to me.

Id also say the one on the left is yours because or the color of the yoke.

6. Rachel K says:

The one on the right is yours – you can tell because the egg white is more hydrated (i.e. runny)

7. Renee says:

I going with the left. Our eggs always had yolks with a richer flavor and darker color. And were yummy delicious!

8. mary c says:

Left. So easy. From your fellow chicken keeper.

9. Nathalie says:

I’m thinking the one on the left is the one that came out of your chicken’s butt.

10. Sebrah says:

Left, left, left – they look like my hens eggs!!!

11. sherri says:

I think it is the one on the right. I remember a friend doing this test a few years ago and it seems to me that the light yolk is the one.

12. JennaLis says:

LEFT!!!! Your chickens = left.

Grew up on a hobby farm with 9 cats and 40 chickens.

Our chicken eggs were always so much richer in colour than store chicken eggs.

It took me a long time to actually feel OK buying store eggs… They always seemed… lesser… than ours.

13. Lin N says:

I was told once oranger yolks mean a fresher egg so I’m going with the one on the left.

14. Regina says:

The one on the right. My Mother in law has chickens and they are great. The eggs. And the chickens. We do not eat the chickens though. 🙂

Regina

15. karenagain says:

The one on the left looks soooo creamy and good. I am going to guess that it is from one of your hens. I always thought that if the girls are free range (which to me means they are eating grass and bugs) the yolks would be orange. BUT, a couple weeks ago I received a dozen organic free range and the yolks looked like the one on the right. I was sad with my eyes, but the eggs tasted great. The eggs I got were white and I think yours are brown. Does that make a difference in yolk color? Anywho, enjoy your eggs. I love eggs, all eggs, any way. I also love egg cup holder things. Old ones. Yeah, really old ones….

16. Matthew says:

The left one. definitely 🙂

17. kathryn says:

i can’t tell you the fresher from a still shot! i need to see them getting a bit of a jiggle on if i’m to be able to tell which is the stiffer, less watery, more clinging-to-the-yolk white – and hence the fresher egg. and, for goodness sake, how on earth can we devote any mental or emotional energy to eggs at all when you’ve yet to confirm which way is right! i’m on the edge of my seat! (waiting to wipe…)

18. Andrea Clem says:

I’m gonna guess the one on the left…from what I understand, the fresher the egg, the “tighter” the yolk. Since the right one is spread out more, I think the left one came from your chicken.

19. Chau says:

The right one is yours.

20. Amie says:

I’ve seen ones like the one on the left come from my friend’s hens, and they were delicious! So, I am hoping left is yours (and that it is equally as tasty)

21. Beth says:

I have to go with the left one too.

22. Yep, I vote left – the size and color do it for me. I love the color of our fresh eggs – it’s so luxurious and deep.

23. heidi says:

Yours is on the left!

24. Ripley Slade says:

Can I buy some eggs off you?

25. lori says:

I say Left!!

26. Valerie says:

What I think is that:
    the one on the left is from the grocery store. The one on the right is from one of your girls. Many people think the more “orangier” the egg yolk the more organic or higher quality the egg; this is not necessarily true. Egg manufacturers to include organic farmers, “grow” eggs for the way they look as an opened finished product and tinker away with various chicken strains until they get the perfect looking broken egg…just like any other consumer product. While diet plays a vital role with egg creation so do many other factors – maturity of hen, habitat, weather, water ingestion and the DNA strain that a particular chicken evolves from.

27. Alicia says:

Although now looking at other comments, I’m doubting myself haha! 😉

28. Alicia says:

The one on the right. Even organically fed chickens are given a small amount of spice usually paprika to increase the colourant in their yolk. 😉

29. Diana @ frontyardfoodie says:

Oh the left is def yours.I used to raise chickens growing up and our yolks were so vibrantly colored!

30. Arlene says:

fresh eggs have 3 layers, organic, freerange or not.

Arlene – ?? I’m not sure what you’re talking about. ~ karen

• Tina says:

A freshly laid egg is “tighter” in its three parts: yolk, thick albumen, and thin albumen. You can see the “3 layers” that Arlene mentions in the photo on the left as three concentric rings: yolk, thick albumen, and thin albumen. As an egg ages, it all tends to “loosen” and slump. So a fresh egg will have a more spherical, domed yolk; the thick albumen will be thick (in viscosity and height) and there will be a ledge where it drops off to the thin albumen; and the thin albumen will be lesser in quantity. An older egg will have a flattened yolk, a thinner and more spread out thick albumen, and more quantity of thin albumen.

You can also evaluate the freshness of an egg without breaking it open by candling it. Hold it up to a strong light source. The size of the air pocket in the rounder end grows as the egg gets older.

I was in 4-H poultry judging 30+ years ago. Why can I remember this stuff but I cannot remember what I am suppose to do today?

Tina – I thought Arlene was referring to “layers” as in … different kinds of chickens. And the fact that organic chickens are not necessarily freerange chickens and vice versa. I didn’t think she was talking about the layers of the egg! Oh! And I think you’re supposed to pick up some groceries and then go out for a drink today. ~ karen

31. Brenda K-C says:

The one on the right is from your hen.

32. Ginny says:

The left one came from your chicken. At least I think it did. Looks a lot like the eggs I used to get from a farmer years ago. His chickens were free range and that yolk looks like the yolk from those eggs.

33. Kaytie @ GardenKitchenHome says:

I think it’s left; Everything on the right is just a little bit bigger, which makes me think that one is commercially raised. Can’t wait to find out the real answer!

34. Sandy says:

Left. When’s breakfast? 🙂

35. April C. says:

Left is yours – the yolk looks real =) I’m excited your chickens are finally repaying you for your care (albeit probably illegally, lol).

36. Laurie says:

but how did it taste?

37. Jeanne says:

I think the one on the left is from your coop – the richer color of the yolk?

38. Jen says:

I’m guessing the left is yours. It looks so rich!

39. Kathy says:

I am going to say the one on the right is your egg because I know that egg farmers are allowed to feed an orange dye called xanthophyll which is a natural plant based pigment. If you did this experiment in the spring or early summer, it would be harder to tell because your chickens will be eating more fresh grass and bugs than they are now. Also, I only buy eggs from the lady down the road who raises them in her back yard like you and the yolks are not that dark.

40. Another Karen says:

The beautiful orange yolked egg is yours. I bet those are delicious, even raw over a bowl of warm rice. (Yup, it’s good for your hair.)

41. Libby says:

Left! We had chickens when I was growing up, and their eggs looked exactly like that (I think it’s from all of the bugs and other natural stuff free range chickens get to eat).

42. Jonalynn says:

Left. Although occassionally our free range eggs do resemble the right.

43. Annie says:

Left. What did you make with it? Do tell.

44. Knowing naught about eggs, I choose LEFT.

45. Robbin says:

The one on the left is fresh from your backyard!

46. Thera says:

Nothing more than instinct, left is yours?

47. Paulina J! says:

It’s gotta be the one on the left!!

48. Ruth says:

I’d have to say the one on the left is the fresh one… simply because I remember your hens having a free-for-all over an egg that had the same colour yolk.

Come on, now… ‘fess up. I’m right, aren’t I? 😀