Kill Weeds
How to Clean Up Your grASS Crack.

If you’re one of these “I love everything that grows” types you probably think a field of dandelions is beautiful.  You’re some kindda hippie, aren’t you?

When I see a field of dandelions (of which there are plenty now that no one’s allowed to use weed killer) I think.  Wow.  All those weeds are gonna end up right in my crack.

They might be nice to look at and even eat, but when a dandelion gets in your crack it’s pretty hard to get rid of without some sort of dangerous, deadly, dastardly poison.  You know.  The kind of stuff that makes birds start to grow beaks out of their bellybuttons.

I didn’t use a ton of poison around my house even before the ban on selective pesticides but now that I have chickens and vegetables and judgemental neighbours to worry about I obviously don’t use any at all.  Even the illegal stuff I have hidden in my potting shed behind the “All Natural Weed Killer – made from the breast milk of Mother Nature“.  The All Natural Weed Killer that not only wouldn’t kill a weed, but might even bring it back to life complete with dancing bugs and a miniature rainbow.

But I still had Grass Crack.  Grass and weeds growing up through cracks in my sidewalk.  You can’t pull those suckers out, you just can’t.  You have to kill them.  But how?  I tried a shotgun.  That was useless.

So, the hunt was on to find a way to kill weeds that wouldn’t anger Mother Nature.

And I found it.

Because I am brilliant.

And I know how to use Google.

I’d heard of this technique before, but wasn’t convinced it would work because it seemed too easy.  Too simple.

So I gave it a shot and it worked.  Immediately.  Shockingly.  Completely.

How to kill weeds in between sidewalk or paver cracks?

Boiling Water.

Yup.  Just pour boiling water on them.  I know.  I didn’t think it would work either.  But it did.  For now anyway.  I have no idea if they’ll grow back but even if they do, I suspect a few more treatments and they’ll be gone forever.

Weed before boiling water.

Weed 1

Pouring on Boiling Water.

Weed 2

1 hour later.

Weed 3

1 day later.

Weed 4

2 days later.

Weed 5

One half of the longgggggggg area I had to treat with boiling water.

The entire brick wall had hundreds of weeds sprouting out of where it met the sidewalk.

Weed 6

After 1 treatment 90% of the weeds were dead.  At least on the outside.  But like I say, I think with a couple of more treatments they’ll be gone for good.  Dead to me.  The larger weeds took 2 treatments of boiling water each to kill them.

Obviously you don’t want to use this particular method if you have weeds in your grass.  It’ll kill the grass too.

In that case, just drag out the All Natural Weed Killer, give it a spray, wait for the bugs and rainbows and charge admission.

With the money you raise you can go find yourself some of that illegal stuff that’ll kill the weed dead.

1. Dianna says:

Most entertaining post & comment section I’ve ever read (and I read a lot online!)….

Thank you for making me smile today, and for all this useful info!

Luv U Karen!

2. Matt Sommer says:

Since plants can feel pain: http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01-09/new-research-plant-intelligence-may-forever-change-how-you-think-about-plants This is horrific! You’re boiling them alive! A quick death by Roundup would be more humane. 😉

• bob jinglhimer Shmitt says:

GEEESSSEEE there is always someone like this… VIETNAM VETS used AGENT ORANGE.. The same company MONSANTO that makes ROUND UP.. And you worry about the plant feeling pain?? Gimmee a break!! Use 5% acid WHITE VINEGAR.. Same thing as Round up.. Unless you think the plant might think it is too sour for it.. GGEEEEEESSSSSEEEEE!!

3. Jennifer Johnson says:

I boiled hot water in my tea kettle and poured the boiling water on the weeds in the cracks. Then I put my garden gloves on and pulled on the weeds and they came out right away. I’m glad I googled to find out because I wouldn’t have thought of doing this. I’m glad I don’t have to use chemicals.

4. Julie says:

Haven’t tried this since we’re having a big windy storm right now, but I just read sprinkling a little baking soda will change the pH of the soil enough to prevent weeds. Or at least the same type of weeds. You could find out what kinds of weeds grow in a very alkaline soil. You may like them better. I tried the vinegar-on-a-hot day which worked great for me, but killed everything within 6-8″ of the application, including nearby lawn. I did love the result on my stone patio cracks, though.

5. Sharron says:

I use a pump sprayer filled with Vinegar and just a litle (3 gal sprayer) 1T of Lemon Joy and spray the weeds on the patio, if its a hot day that does it alone, if not…I go back with the boiling water that way one treatment does it…LOL

6. Dani says:

They sell special blowtorches for weeds at Home Depot – they work like a charm. We just burn the weeds in the patio areas early in the season and were done. Really easy!

7. Stan says:

I think what you did was not only kill the weeds but you sanitized the soil. Nothing else will grow their until next season 🙂

Stan. – Good. I don’t want anything growing there. 🙂 And the truth is, you have to keep soil at the temperature of boiling water for about 20 minutes to sterilize it completely, which the weed treatment doesn’t even come close to. ~ k!

8. Thera says:

Depending on the foot traffic ie: kids and pets, plain old bleach straight from the bottle, works wonders!

9. Chau says:

Oh this is wonderful. Thanks for the tip, Karen. You’re the best.

10. Ruth says:

*fades into background, and resolves to henceforth be as quiet as a mouse, until our economy is resuscitated*