Locking up Loctite.
A Look into what else I do.

Hi. My name’s Karen. I do stuff.

Whenever Twitter, or Instagram or any other Internet thingee asks me to include a small description of myself that’s what I write.

Because that’s really what it boils down to.  I cook, I clean, I design, I invent, I succeed, I fail. But no matter the outcome or product, I do all kinds of stuff.

And this blog is just one of the things I do. I also write for magazines, newsletters and sometimes other websites. All of which just sort of happened because of this blog. People see what you write on this Internet thing and decide whether they like you or not.

If they like you, they come back and read some more. And other times if they like you, they offer you jobs.

I got one such offer about a month ago from a company far, far away. London, England to be precise. That’s the most astounding and fun thing about this Internet we browse every day. It has made the world much smaller while making the scope of opportunities much larger.

So I thought it would be interesting for you today to tell you how one of these offers comes about and how it all works.

To make it even more fun, I’ve chosen to write it in diary format.

Monday.

Dear Diary,

Today a company from London, England contacted me to see if I’d be interested in making videos for one of their clients. I asked them who the client was and did they eat a lot of fish and chips.

Thursday.

Dear Diary,

Today I agreed to make videos for the client’s Youtube channel. They asked what I would charge for this sort of thing so I made up a number based on what it would cost me to buy a slightly used Shetland pony. They’re going to email me my contract tomorrow.

Friday.

Dear Diary,

Today I ate some cheese. Oh! And the company sent me my contract. I printed it, signed it, scanned it and sent it back to them. We’re in the video making business for Loctite! (they make superglue)

Tuesday.

Dear Diary,

An insane amount of super glue arrived in the mail today. They had to mail me the UK version of Loctite glue because I’m making the videos for their UK audience, therefore I need to use the UK product with the UK packaging in my video. Not the North American versions. Still no answer on the fish and chip thing.

Saturday.

Dear Diary,

I shot my Loctite video today. They let me decide what I wanted to do and then just suggested the glue they would recommend for that particular job.  Tomorrow I will edit my video. I did not accidentally glue any of my body parts to anything.

Monday.

Dear Diary,

I finished editing my video and have sent it off to Loctite. They have approved it and I will get a cheque soon. I’m going to spend some of it on fish and chips, as I now have an unexplained craving I can’t shake.

So that’s the gist of how that sort of thing works. Someone emails you out of the blue, you decide whether you think the offer is legitimate or not and then proceed.  For instance, the initial offer came from a PR company.  So I simply Googled the PR company and discovered yes indeed, they were real and they were reputable.  That got the ball rolling and glue gluing.

Speaking of which, this is the glue I received.

glue

If anyone breaks a life sized reproduction of The Last Supper done in wood, glass, metal, plastic and rubber …. I’m your gal.

And that video? The video I made for Loctite for their Loctite Youtube channel? It’s making its premiere today!

It’s just like one of my regular videos. Only I got paid to do it. Which means as far as I’m concerned, it’s the best video I’ve ever made.  Seriously though, it’s a really good video and I’d show it right here if I could but, that’s part of the deal where I make money.  You have to go watch it on their website. So get going!

Monday

Dear Diary,

I never did get an answer on the fish and chip question. I’m a bit worried they found my question to be perpetuating a stereotype. Or it could be just because they prefer a good curry.

1. Elen Grey says:

Congrats on the new gig, Karen! Love you walking away with the knife sticking out of your back pocket. The chickens were a total scream.

Um. It’s about the ring you’re wearing…………………………………. HEART!

2. Debbie from Illinois says:

Oh my, that video was not what I was expecting at all! Loved everything about it.

Love the red sweater!

3. Leah says:

Great video! I love the music. What band is it?

4. Jenny says:

You. Are. Spectacular!

5. Laura Bee says:

Hee Hee – digging in the garden…I usually use a spoon for my house plants! Brilliant job on the video – congratulations! If we didn’t use it already, you would have convinced me to try it. Hubby’s hobby is gluing & painting miniatures – I brought the Loctite squeeze gel home one day and he stopped swearing when he glued the bits together and he says it’s better than the crap they sell at the hobby store.

6. DianneT says:

Loved the video, Karen. I’ve never heard of that product, but you’ve convinced me to try it. I thought you might go all serious doing a video for another country and all-but you were just… YOU! I laughed when the girls just kicked that knife away.

7. Victoria says:

Love it! and great ass shot in the end! You go girl!! πŸ˜‰

8. mumzy says:

I just have to say that that ‘testimonial’, ad, bit of useful funniness was b r i l l i a n t! You are amazing and have a hilarious sense of humour… love it and had a hearty guffaw or two….

9. Debbie says:

I loved the last shot of the knife in your back pocket as a weapon. You trust your safety to Loctite, even when in with those killer chickens! LOL

10. shauna says:

Just posted your story on FB. Love this one. You ROCK Karen. May you continue to flourish and prosper doing stuff. : )

11. ally says:

Lovely. But you might want to alert them to the typo in the blurb. I presume you ripped the heads OFF your dolls. πŸ™‚

12. Jacqui says:

Brilliant! They say that a lot on the UK? My favorite part was the dirty hands and messed up manicure, really shows how hard you worked! Again, BRILLIANT!! In case anyone from the UK is reading

13. Nancy Blue Moon says:

WOW Karen..You clean up pretty good..I didn’t know you could make clocks too..lol..great job..I love Loctite products!!

14. Leslie says:

Gee, Karen. How’d you manage to break that knife in the first place? hahahahaha!

(this reminds me of my (now ex) husband who dismissed all my DIY projects as “cooking” because I always found a way to use silverware to get things done instead of using the “tool shopping” delay tactic he favored)

15. Ha! I loved it! I was a little worried that it wasn’t going to have the usual Karen attitude and flair (since they were paying you and all) but you did not disappoint. Also, I love your ruined manicure at the end!

16. I’m going to go out and buy a lot of Loctite !

17. NikiDee says:

You’ll know when you really hit it big…the company that makes “the goop to remove super glue from your fingers/face/furniture” will contact you to make a video ~ that is if you can unstick your fingers from the video camera πŸ˜‰ A BIG congrats to your new venture!!!

18. amy watson says:

HaHa….Well Done !!!!!!

19. JebberJay says:

You made me happy with that video. Smilingly so!

20. gogothrift@etsy.com says:

And to think for a few seconds I thought YOU weren’t going to be YOU in the video. That somehow you would morph into a plastered on smile and QVC voice just for a check. Yay YOU for staying true.

21. Marion says:

ahhh love it! So glad your girls got a little cameo in there too.

22. Susan says:

I am SO impressed. You look fantastic, your chickens look fantastic and the video was lighthearted but a good sell. The clock was priceless but if you ever do a post on building a clock, it might come back to haunt you.

23. Alicia Herron says:

this is seriously the best ever! LOVED IT! Especially the bit with the chickens! πŸ™‚

24. I used to rip the heads off dolls too….hmmmmm do you think it’s cuz we are both called Karen? I think my little sister hated me for this. I loved your time passing clock! I think i will make one of those for my son’s Christmas present! He would love it. BTW, I use Loctite for a lot of projects but just the Canadian kind. In fact I will make his clock with some. Cheers!

25. Noelle says:

Nice job KB! I can think of a zillion things that need gluing. Can we buy this glue here?
    I want some? Can we buy it here or is this all a tease? So many questions, so little time. I’m off to work to make body butter and sugar scrub. Boring?

NO! NOT BORING! Fun!!!! And yes, Loctite is available here. I genuinely use it myself! The packaging will be different, that’s all. ~ karen!

26. Melissa in North Carolina says:

AWESOME! What a great video…my favorite parts include the clock, the girls and the messed up manicure.
    Can’t wait to meet your new slightly used Shetland pony.

27. Charlotte says:

I have to say that I really appreciate your approach. So many bloggers are frustratingly vague about sponsorships and the like, but you aren’t. You don’t treat your readers like idiots, or pretend sponsored posts are casual favours for a friend when you’re really doing something for a significant company. You do a great job and you’re paid for it, and you admit to that. Anyway, I probably didn’t word this very well as I’m sick and sleep-deprived. I just wanted to you to know that you are a breath of fresh air, and the blogging world is lucky to have you!

28. Sherri Hanigan says:

Super ad for super glue! My fave part was toward the end after you had beat the crap out of the knife using it as a tool for a variety of tasks. You held the knife in your hand and it looked great and still in one piece. Your nail job, however, (which had been perfect at the start of the video) was a complete disaster! Are you angling for a contract with a nail lacquer company now?

29. Sally A. says:

Congratulations!! That is so very exciting! I get envious of all the neat stuff you do, then I remember that it requires hard work. Ick. πŸ™‚

30. Di says:

Nice vid! Love all the “uses” you have for that knife. And, Loctite ROCKS. Seriously good glue.

31. toekneetoni says:

That was great and you look great too! Love the black nail polish! Congrats on the gig too!

32. Alice says:

Reminds me of the “screwdriver knife” in our drawer — I ~thought~ I’d grabbed one of the old knives to work on a tough screw…

33. Julie says:

Very clever, Karen! Of course you made the making of this video look effortless. Seriously, how many hours did you put into this? Did they give you any parameters to work with or did they give you free reign?

It was fun seeing in you action!

34. marilyn says:

great job! loved the chickens pecking at it!

35. Natika says:

Cute video! Also, I very much like the sweater. And the prying things out of walls. And the chickens.

36. Jodi T. says:

Hahahah! I loved it. “Real life conditions”. Great job!!

37. Marie says:

That WAS your best video yet! I’m sure other offers will roll in. But those of us who have seen your basement know what an empty threat it is for you to “throw away” a broken knife.

38. cred says:

Awesome video- how do you come up with these ideas? I like how your nails start off well-manicured and by the end, their condition are evidence that the knife test was not staged.

39. laura gerber says:

OMG – best Loctite video ever!! Karen you are the best way to start the morning (much better than the ticket this morning for my expired license plates – oops)

40. pat barford says:

You’re the best! Locktite should be glad they found you. Great vid. and fab pic on the site. A selfie? If so, I want to know how to look that good.

41. Sam says:

Love it Karen, you are so like me and will use whatever tool will do a job, even a non-tool like a knife. Would love your drawer of loctite though.

And you have to be careful where you get your fish and chips from over here, not all fish and chips are created equal!! So miss fish and chips from the chippy (the shop you buy fish and chips from) as I’m gluten intolerant and if I eat them, I end up really poorly πŸ™ Just trying to decide if it’s worth it as now you’ve got me craving them lol xx

42. Pat says:

Great job! Very entertaining yet informative….

43. Maryanne says:

Great video! I see that you’re still rocking the black matte mani – love the before and after pics with the knife πŸ™‚

Have a fun day of doing stuff.

44. LeeAnne says:

Wow gluing metal! Who knew? YOU that’s who! Between this and Shazam, life is much better. What colour of Shetland are you going to get????

45. audrey schneider says:

freaking awesome! that is all.

46. Ella says:

Video is amazing in so many ways!

47. Mary Werner says:

WOW that was really cool – loved your video but was impressed with Loctite. They sure picked the right person to make videos!!!!!!

48. Ella says:

Very creative and enjoyable diary format!

49. Melanie says:

Please tell me you only needed one take for the chicken to kick the knife away…you should dig the giant Oscar statue out of the basement and put it in the coop for that performance!

It was the second take. I threw the knife in the corner of the coop and they weren’t interested in it. Then I threw it in the middle of the run and they were all over it. Took about 30 seconds before one kicked it away. I was thrilled! ~ karen

50. Becky L says:

Loved it!!! Even though I don’t officially “know” you……I’m so proud of you!! Very funny and unique twists in the story line, which is why I stalk, ahem, follow you on your blog! Way to go!!!