My chicken laid an egg that had no shell!

Part of the joy of owning backyard chickens is the horror. They do some pretty crazy shit these birds.   Attack cats, try to eat each others faces, I even have one that’s a hermaphrodite.

They’re really a most interesting pet even without the egg laying talent.   Speaking of eggs (see how I transitioned so smoothly there? It’s part of what makes me such a talented writer.  That and the way I can make up words but have you think they’re actual words.  Like pencil.)

When you have backyard chickens, or any chickens for that matter, you may happen upon a misshapen or odd looking egg.  The benefit to being a backyard chicken is your owners don’t generally chop your heads off for the offence. Usually.

I’ve had eggs with bumps, cracks and ridges come out of my hens.  And last week Cheez Whiz laid this one on me.

Egg With No Shell

That would be an egg with no shell. It has the membrane that surrounds the egg. But no shell. At all. Anywhere. This was day two for the egg so it’s lost some of the air inside it making it sort of floppy.  But just the day before the egg was smooth and tight just like a regular egg, but with no shell.

Egg With No Shell 2

The above egg is one of Cheez Whiz’s normal eggs.  The chickens are just finishing up one of their moulting periods and sometimes it takes them an egg or two to get back into the swing of things. I noticed her eating copious amounts of oyster shell after she laid this egg with no shell so she knew she screwed up.  Oyster shells gives hens the calcium they need to produce good, hard shells.

You can see just how translucent the egg’s membrane is.

Shelless Egg

To give you a better idea of what the egg was like, take a look at this handy video I made.

Since this offence, Cheez Whiz has gone back to laying normal eggs. Which is a little more appealing, but a little less pencil.

[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”5342563″]

1. Sarah Homann says:

Karen- Love your blog! My Chicken Cuddles, laid her first jelly egg months ago. now it’s every other egg! But she is happy and healthy. who knows? Crazy hens!

2. Denise says:

We had chickens when I was growing up and I remember that happened once, the chicken was startled (I don’t recall why) and as she ran off out it dropped.

3. Heather says:

I love seeing the various lumps and bumps that come from yard chicken eggs! I have gotten a few of those eggs with no shell and they are totally crazy.

4. gabrielle says:

Pencil this – in “Old Yeller”, didn’t the dog get in big trouble for stealing eggs, when in fact he was just licking up ones that had been laid without a shell, accountin’ on the hens had eaten a swarm of dragonflies an’ it just done went thataway?

5. Julie says:

it looks like one of those new-agey crystal quartz lamps in yoga studios!

6. Kristi says:

Missing my backyard hens! Thanks for sharing! Love it!!

7. Allison says:

My girls have laid a handful of those in their year of laying so far. It always concerns me but they keep on as usual, so I do as well. I call them water balloon eggs. I’m always tempted to something with them other than put them in the trash but good reminder about the bacteria. Glad mine are not the only ones with squishy eggs! I just want to know how you know it was Cheese Whiz and not one of the others…..Thanks Karen!

8. Niki says:

I’ll be getting my 1st order of chickens next month. Perhaps I should have checked the “shells not optional” box. Ick. I’ll be building your no spill feeder soon… maybe you can create an egg separator. Nice yummy eggs this way…creep, nasty, scary eggs ~ over there please!

9. Rondina Muncy says:

How do you choose music for a video like that?

10. Luanne says:

Every time I see this post title, I wonder “how could there be a chicken without a bone?” And then “how can there be a cherry without a stone?” Interesting post, Nana – I didn’t know there could be an egg without a shell! 🙂