My writing on newstands now …

I was heading towards Home Depot yesterday due to an impromptu construction epiphany (more on that in later weeks) and it occurred to me I had 3 magazine articles out this month.

THREE articles, in three different magazines,  on newstands all at the same time, all written by me.

Upon learning this, my mother got very excited and proclaimed, ONE DAY, (you never know) I might become a real writer!  I’m not sure, but I think real writers write romance novels. Fingers crossed.

That may never happen again, so I pulled into my local bookstore to line them up and take a picture.

title

And here’s that picture I took of the magazine rack in my local Chapters.  They were sold out of Canadian Gardening so I couldn’t get it in the picture.  I kind of made a fuss over it.  I think the salesperson referred to it as a hissy fit.  Just pretend Martha Stewart’s Halloween issue is Canadian Gardening.  Where people garden with pink tulle and botox.

in-store-magazines

If you’d like to buy one of these fine magazines, featuring articles written by me, they’re  in stores now.  Right alongside  the other magazines that feature real writers.

I’m pretty sure my mother thinks I’m a real writer. She just really wants me to write a novel that features a man named Sven.

You can buy the online version of the Canadian Gardening issue here.

The Canadian Home Workshop issue is can be purchased here.

And the Better Homes and Gardens Christmas Ideas issue can be bought here.

1. Mike McLaughlin says:

Karen,

Congratulations on all of your success!

Mike

2. Congratulations Karen!! That is awesome. You are even better than those “real” writers.

3. dianne kushner says:

Congrats! You are a “real” writer to me and I enjoy each and every post. Thanks for sharing! D

4. kghgtv@yahoo.com says:

You have been one of my favorite writers for a long time now! I was looking through the Christmas edition in the store when I proceeded to embarrass my DH. I saw that table in the living room and announced loudly, “I know that room”! I explained that you were the blogger with the beautiful coop which both of us would like to have one day…….

5. Hi Karen

I can’t compete with Christmas Ideas or Canadian Gardener but I wonder if you would consider writing for The Spectator’s two magazines: At Home and Most. I’m looking for content for the Christmas edition of Most and would love to hear from you if you are interested.

Michele

6. Kathleen says:

I just read your article in Canadian Gardening (online mag). Informative and funny, too! Congrats on your publications!

7. Deb Miller says:

After reading this post, I ran (well, drove my little puttmobile as fast as somewhat legally possible) to my local big box home center and lunged at the magazine stand to grab a copy of Christmas Ideas, snubbed the small-talk from the friendly cashier, and raced out of the store. Nearly tripped over the lawn tractors on the sidewalk as I scanned the Table of Contents for your article, plopped down into the front seat of puttmobile and enjoyed several minutes of joyous delight as I read of your Holiday decorating philosophies! Thanks so much for injecting some much-needed life and laughter (as well as sound decorating advice) into the magazine and into my day!!!

LOL. Thanks Deb! Wanna hear something funny? I haven’t had a chance to read my copy yet because I’m too busy to enjoy it. And now I seem to have lost my copy. And that is NOT a cheap magazine to buy! (however it has absolutely NO ads in it whatsoever so really it’s a good deal!) ~ karen

8. Jenny says:

Yesterday I read that Jennifer Aniston chose her current home because she could raise chickens there. And I immediately thought of you, of course. You could be Chicken Consultant to the Stars. And yay for the articles! Maybe Harlequin Chicken novels are in your future? Norma meets Foghorn Leghorn… or maybe not.

9. Kari says:

Congratulations! You’re a triple threat. Like JLo hehe

10. Naomi says:

Congratulations on your publications! That’s awesome! And if you want a laugh, I remember a funny movie called Mother (Albert Brooks and Debbie Reynolds, 1996) that reminds me of your situation.

11. carol says:

I dunno. Seems kinda slutty to me. Three at one time? Decent girls would be happy with just one.

12. Maureen says:

Karen, I love you to bits!

13. Grammy says:

I’m sorry, but this is not surprising news. You are a talented writer, and so entertaining in your presentation of very innovative and interesting STUFF that people can (and should) be doing, it was inevitable. Congratulations, Karen, for your ongoing success.

And tell your mom she should write her own book about Sven. You are far too busy dealing with that whole Idris Elba episode.

14. Jeni says:

You rock, Ms Authoress.I don’t read romances, so this is WAY better IMHO :o)
    (Is that a real word? Authoress?)

15. Joanna says:

Oh!!! Congrats!!!! Well deserved!!!! 🙂

16. Chau says:

I love what you write
    You’re the writer in my book
    Write more, write more
    I’ll be waiting to read

17. Ev says:

Read this late due to computer doing stupid computer tricks. Well done Karen! Three all out on the stands at same time. That Is awesome-not just sayin’ so maybe I could get some piggies next time!

18. pam says:

Well the cool part about being a romance writer, as opposed to what you do, is that it’s not actually based on reality! Beyond fiction!

Congratulations!

19. West Coast Nan says:

Way to go, I would think that 3 articles out at the same time has to classify you as a real writer. Congratulations!

20. toekneetoni says:

you betta WERK Ms. Karen!!! Congrats with 2 snaps!!!

21. wisconsingal says:

These are the best comments I’ve read here – and I thought Karen was the REAL writer. I’ve often thought of writing mag articles, but just can’t seem to get off my butt and do it. I think I need a muse – Karen? Sven? No, more likely, the guy at the bank named Henry, who handles my mortgage.

22. Penny says:

Stephen King said ” If you wrote something for which someone sent you a check, if you cashed the check and it didn’t bounce, and if you then paid the light bill with the money, I consider you talented.”

Tell your mom that SK must consider you a REAL writer!!!

23. Elizabeth says:

Woohoo!!! That is awesome!!!!!!! You are a fabulous writer with tons of great ideas. You’ll be in Martha Stewart magazine before you know it!!

24. Mickey says:

Congratulations on your ‘hat trick’, Karen. On my way to buy Christmas Ideas magazine.

25. olequiitbat says:

I’m going to ask for all of these magazines for my birthday…which is coming up shortly. Can’t wait to read all the sections you’ve contributed. So happy for you Karen. And I hope you brag tell everyone about your fantastic success.

Hugs
    Sandy

26. Kim says:

Your hard work is reaping just rewards. Congratulations, Karen!

27. Linda S in NE says:

Congratulations, Karen! I’m very proud of you!

28. Barbie says:

WOW! Living well….the best revenge! Besides steely resolve that is!

29. Carole says:

Congrats. Very iompressive. Doesn’t surprise me at all – you deserve it!

30. Marsha Jean says:

Congrats, Karen! I’m headed to the local bookstore right now! Oh, wait a minute, I almost forgot…get the bra on first, where’s the darn car keys, shoes, Marsha, shoes… Oh hell, grab the cup of joe and login to Amazon. Much easier, and no bra required!