HOW TO GET YOUR PICTURE TO SHOW UP WHEN YOU COMMENT ON A BLOG.

I sometimes forget that you know a lot more about me than I know about you.  I mean, you know that I’m a hooker, that I had a possible nervous breakdown while sitting in my closet … you even know what kind of toilet paper I use.

I meet people all the time who know me from my blog and during our conversation it’s entirely possible they might bethinking “Hey.  I wonder how Karen’s yeast infection is doing.”

Well, did you ever think that it might be nice for me to look at YOU for once and think, “Hey.  I wonder how her itchy lady parts are doing.”.

Let’s make that happen today.  Not the yeast infection, (that’s a special spell I have reserved for people who park sideways and take up more than one parking spot at Ikea on a Saturday), but the recognizing you bit.

This is what 70% of you look like to me and everyone else who reads this blog.

blank-faces

Faceless blobs of air.  Who are you people?  I don’t know.  In my head and the heads of everyone else reading the comments on blogs you possibly looking something like this …

real-faces

So what are those little pictures and why doesn’t your photo show up?

Those are called Avatars and they’re put there by something called Gravatar.  Which stands for Globally Recognized Avatar.  Almost all blogs and websites are Gravatar enabled which means they are all ready, willing and able for your picture.

All you have to do is go to the Gravatar website and upload your photo.  Then Gravatar basically attaches itself to you and whenever you comment on a blog, Gravatar follows you there and includes your photo.

How to get your photo to show up in blog comments.

1.  Go to the Gravatar website.
  2. Sign up.
  3. Create your profile which includes uploading your photo.
  4. Done!  Now when you comment on any blog or website that is Gravatar enabled your photo will show up.   Pretty much every website has Gravatar enabled on it by the way.
  5. You can change your profile picture whenever you want by going back to the Gravatar website and uploading a new photo.

In the profile section of the Gravatar website you can fill out your name, where you’re from and a little bit about yourself.

gravatar-website-profile

Why would you do that?  Well there’s a little surprise to Gravatar that not everyone knows about. If you hover over someone’s photo on any blog comment if they’ve filled out their profile, that information pops up!  So you can tell the world a little bit about you and you can learn a little bit about your fellow commenters.

And don’t worry if you’re a little bit shy you can upload a photo of anything.  Your dog, your cat, your kid.  I prefer to see recent photos of the actual person but the choice is yours.

I’ve only used 3 different Avatars on this blog since starting it but I might switch it up soon.

my-gravatars

O.K. now it’s time for you to try to do it yourself!

I’ll be here.  Waiting.  And itching.

To see your pictures. πŸ˜‰

1. Eileen says:

well…let’s see….

2. West Coast Nan says:

Look at all the pretty people, my aren’t we a lovely lot!
    Thanks Karen, you do make life easier…

3. TucsonPatty says:

Okay, I did it! Let’s see if it worked! I’ll try to find a newer portrait to use, this is from 1962 or so. I look very prissy, probably because I was trying to be the best behaved and sit still for my aunt to take the photo of the 13 of us!

4. ronda says:

hmmmmm. i rather like the pic you gave me! how can i add THAT as my avatar??

5. Ta da! (this better work)

6. Paula F. says:

I did this awhile back then promptly forgot which of my multiple email addresses I used…

But I wrote it down this time! πŸ™‚

7. Jennie Lee says:

Sorry. I give up. I’ve got an account with WordPress now, which I have no idea how to use, but could not figure out how to use a photo from my computer.

• Lois Baron says:

At the moment all WordPress does for me is give me another password to forget. It’s very stressful for me to be an ambitious, lazy woman.

• Jennie Lee says:

I have an avatar that shows up when I’m on Facebook, and a different one that shows up when I’m on Pinterest or Daily Kos. But since I’m not adept with computer-stuff, I have no idea why one doesn’t show up ALL the time.

8. Alice says:

All done Karen – Thanks !

9. Trisha Tate says:

Hahaha, love all of the comments. I’m in too…

10. Lois Baron says:

idk where the photo is that I put on my Linkedin account or the one I put on my gmail, but I love this embroidery pattern so much it doesn’t matter. It’s how I want everyone to think of me πŸ™‚

11. Maryanne says:

12. Sandi Remedios says:

Thanks for the info Karen, hopefully this works.

13. Susan Claire says:

I went to the site, came back here, posted a comment, and it didn’t show up! Let’s see if this one does.

14. Trisha says:

The only reason I have a picture is because many years ago you encouraged us to do this. I have years of picture comments to thank you for!

Now that I see your picture, I want you to get rid of it. I feel inadequate, lol. Great shot! ~ karen

• Trisha says:

Ha! My current reality doesn’t exactly look like that either. I’m currently covered in 8 layers of saw dust and my pants are threatening to go to my ankles. I’m much more glamorous on the internet!

15. Mindy says:

Are you trying to tell me that my twelve year old honeymoon photo will no longer suffice for proper ID?
    I waver between wanting to choose something wildly inappropriate, and not wanting people to judge me. πŸ˜‰

16. Jackie says:

Very east tutorial KAr

17. Karin in NC says:

So curious to see if this worked!

18. Magali says:

Great idea to encourage this seeing as how important the comment section on your blog is! It’s a lot nicer to scroll through even for us readers so it must be really nice for you. I jumped on the gravatar wagon πŸ™‚

19. Elaine says:

Thanks for the instructions, Karen! You always teach us SO much about anything and everything under the sun! Can I use a photo of Liz Taylor when she was in her prime? lol!

20. chris says:

That’s my child, not me. If that were me, I’d have to be really talented to do this at 3-1/2!

21. Jenifer says:

I did it!!! (I think…)

Thanks Karen!

22. Kimbydee says:

I think I did it! Thanks for reposting this. Don’t know why I didn’t do it the first time around!

23. Edith says:

Done! Thank you for reminding me where to change that outdated picture I had!

24. MelissaSue says:

I may not read your blog every day but when I do you crack me up. I always have to read it out loud to my coworkers during lunch. Thanks for making me laugh!

25. Trish ORiordan says:

I did it dammit!

26. Susan Claire says:

If I had known about this I would have done it a long time ago. I am SO tech stupid!

27. Jen says:

Apparently we all do what we’re told! πŸ™‚

28. Debbie from Illinois says:

Go Cubs Go! πŸ™‚

29. bill keiser says:

One word: zipties. Okay, that was technically three words. Now it’s . . . oh never mind.

30. Caitlin says:

Hopefully I am able to follow directions correctly….

31. Leah C says:

Testing… testing… πŸ™‚

32. Liz G says:

Wow, thanks Karen for bringing me into the 21st century!

33. Elissa Rioux says:

Gee,I even forgot to press “activate”. Hope the photo is there now!

Still no photo Elissa. Keep trying. πŸ™‚ Make sure your email address matches here and on Gravatar and that your photo did indeed upload to Gravatar. ~ karen!

34. Elissa Rioux says:

Hi Karen,
    It’s amazing how much I don’t know how to do on the computer. Thanks for taking that list down a notch.

I live my small farm fantasy thru you. Thanks for the fun blog that I look forward to getting and the smiles you give me ?

35. Lillian Logan says:

Sweet–now who won the Lee Valley gift card????

36. Maria says:

Learn something new every day over at Karen’s place. I think I’m all gravitar-ed up.

37. Kirsten says:

I think I did it correctly? We will see? They don’t use our info to send us pesky emails or try to sell things to us do they?

Nope. No emails from Gravatar. It’s literally just a global avatar site. So everyone you see who has a photo showing up on a blog is doing it through Gravatar. It’s the sole purpose of the site. ~ karen!

38. MaggieB says:

Actually, I’d really like one of your fancy dancy super dooper portraits wot you put on up earlier in the post. Do you do commissions? Alternutively, (bow to Chippie) how do you do that?

39. Amanda says:

well now…that’s cool

40. Melissa says:

How true that we know WAYYY more about you than you know about us….thanks for sharing so much about yourself and being so honest!

Just ‘itching’ to see how this avatar thing works….

41. Bek says:

Hey. Nice post.

42. Cred says:

Hi! My name is actually Cindy. How do you do?

43. Jean in BC says:

Thanks πŸ™‚ I did this before when you had mentioned it a few years back. Should update my photo though.

44. Cynthia says:

But what if we join weird forums that talk about stuff we don’t want anyone to know about, will out photo show up?…and what if our a**hole ex-husband does a photo drop google search on us and finds all the places on the information superhighway where we love to talk to other weirdos? Nice weirdo’s not a##hole ones like him.

Am I the only one who is paranoid? Surely not. Not highly puter savvy so tell me if I am fussing over nothing. I can be a silly sausage as well as a weirdo cyberworld lurker.

• MaggieB says:

No, actually I feel that way too. Thats usually why I never put up photos of myself. And do nice weird things like changing my comment name for different forums. I only comment on three so not so hard to remember. Uuuccckkkk!

• Why are you joining weird forums and talking about stuff you don’t want anyone to know about in the first place?

• MaggieB says:

Because when you realise that you are not dysfunctional and that when you find a group of people that “speak” to you you are so grateful that you may not always use the right words, because you had lost the ability to see the fun and weirdness of life and then being able to express yourself in a safe place. And it’s not about anyone its about a particular someone. And that of course is just my opinion for myself. Heaviness over. Eggnog and glΓΌhwein all around. Cheers!

I drank almost an entire carton of Eggnog this week. Not the little box. The big box, lol. ~ karen!

• LOL, you are my kind of people and you are very funny. Friends have often described me as either weird or wild and when asked, I often describe myself as weird, wild and wonderful. I threw in the wonderful part myself. I also love alliteration. Β°JΒ°

Yes, your photo will show up everywhere. So in your case you can just leave your photo blank. I don’t think you have anything to worry about but no sense sending you into fitful worry. πŸ˜‰ ~ karen!

45. Gayle'' says:

Fun! Thanks, Karen. Say “cheese” everyone!

• Gayle says:

I guess it helps to use the right email, right?

• Gayle says:

? Still a faceless blob of air, I guess. I must be making this more difficult than it needs to be! Oh, well.

• Gayle M says:

Maybe? I just noticed that auto correct messed up my email address.

LOL. Yes, I can see that every time you fill in your email address (I’m the only one who can see it) you fill it in differently. So you have to make sure your email address here matches the email address you used with Gravatar. ~ karen!

46. Marlene says:

Heeey – this is an old post! I want a new post, gimme, gimme, gimme.
    PS: Hope the cream worked (for the itching) πŸ™‚

From a happy faceless blob of air.
    (Saves me from explaining my scary self to the unsuspecting.)

No, lol. It’s not an old post. It’s an old topic that needed to be revisited. πŸ™‚ So I rewrote it entirely and republished it. That’s why you see older comments. I do that the odd time with posts that are good topics but haven’t been seen by the majority of my readers. ~ karen!