Today is Random Acts of Kindness Day. A day devoted to doing things that are kind. Randomly.
I’m not explaining this very well. You’re supposed to something nice for someone. That’s all.
It’s a Happy Today for strangers.
The most brilliant thing about Random Acts of Kindness Day is it doesn’t have to cost you any money. You don’t have to buy a gift and I’m pretty sure there isn’t a money grabbing Hallmark card for it.
Now sometimes, just coming up with an idea of what to do is enough to stop a lot of people from performing a Random Act of Kindness. So, here’s a list of things you could do today for a complete stranger. (Or someone you know … your choice)
Random Acts of Kindness
1. Put money in an expired parking meter.
2. Point out an expired parking meter to the meter monitor person. (this particular act of kindness takes a very special person to do it)
3. Pay for the drive through order of the person behind you. This is usually reserved for coffee drive throughs because paying for someone’s office lunch order might be a bit much.
4. If it has snowed, brush off your neighbour’s car. Don’t scratch the car though. Getting caught hotwiring your neighbours car in order to get it to a repair shop really takes attention away from your Random Act of Kindness.
5. Adopt a pet from an animal shelter. This is a *big one* only meant for someone thinking about getting a pet. DON’T go and adopt a pet on a whim. But if you’re thinking of getting a cat or a dog … adopt one. It’s one of the kindest things you can do.
6. At the grocery store? Let an old woman take the last Marble Rye.
7. Compliment someone. How many times have you seen someone wearing a dress or a pair of boots you loved and you don’t say anything. You just stare and wish they were yours. Tell them. If they’re wearing ugly clothing, compliment their hair or smile. That is what I would do.
8. Waiting in line? Offer to give the person in front of you a head massage. Warning. This act of kindness isn’t always well received. You can always just let someone behind you go ahead of you. That might be the safer way to go, actually.
9. Drop off a small gift to someone. Retirement homes are a great place for this. Just some flowers, or a potted hyacinth plant. If you don’t know anyone at the retirement home, just go into the reception area and give it to the first person you see, or give it to the reception desk and have them distribute the flowers to whoever hasn’t had a visitor lately. I know I said Random Acts of Kindness don’t have to cost any money, but sometimes they do. Before you dismiss this as being too difficult I want you to picture yourself all alone, in a retirement home with no one visiting you and nothing to look forward to.
10. Smile at someone. Yup. That’s all. Just smile.
Have another idea? Leave it here as inspiration for someone else.
Happy Random Acts of Kindness day. My kindness to you? I’m over here behind this computer … smiling at you. Your hair looks nice today, by the way.