Yes it is possible. Yes I have done it. Yes, you can do it too.
But you have to start now!!
Thanks to W Network for letting me use this excerpt from my show Playing House.
So, I have done this but not all that successfully. If I’d told you that at the beginning of this post you wouldn’t have watched the video. Having said that, the only reason I wasn’t successful is because I planted the vine in a spot that didn’t get enough sunlight. These suckers need a lot of sun!
1. Start your plants indoors in the early spring. Many garden centres carry the seeds.
2. Plant out after danger of frost is gone, gone, gone.
3. Make sure they have something HUGE to climb on. They’ll grow 12 feet in the air if you let them.
4. When they’re growing, the loofahs look like big cucumbers. At this point they’re edible, but I probably wouldn’t.
5. Let them stay on the vine as long as possible without getting frost. Even a bit of frost won’t kill them, it’ll just kill the vine.
6. In the fall, pick the Loofah and let it dry for a few days. You should be able to hear the seeds inside when you shake it.
7. Peel the skin off, and the inside will be your loofah sponge. Clean it up then scrub away.
The first time I did this, I planted “surprise plants” in all my relative’s yards. Not a single one of them took care of them enough to ensure they grew. They were subjected to pesticides, lawnmowers and dogs. Every single sister, mother and neice killed their plant.
Had they known they were Loofahs they may have taken better care of them. Who doesn’t want to be able to grow their own shower friend??