Songs I wish they’d never, ever, ever play on the radio again.
Because I hate them.

This post is going to rile a bunch of you up, so I want to say simmer down right now. You’re going to get the chance to have your say at the end of this post.

But for now, the floor is MINE. And here it begins.

There are certain songs that are played on the radio that I get excited for no matter how many times I’ve heard them. I get all giddy and dancey and if I’m in my car I roll my windows down and turn the music up loud so everyone can hear the beauty of Sweet Home Alabama and therefore know just how cool I am. Yup. That’s me. I’m the one who is SUPERcool and I want you to KNOW it, guy standing at the bus stop. You’re a straight up asshole if you don’t love Sweet Home Alabama. And this is coming from someone who has an extensive collection of hardcore punk.

I have the same reaction to just about anything by John Cougar (not Mellancamp). THEN there are the songs you rarely hear on the radio which is a whole ‘nother stratosphere of music euphoria. For me that includes Ramones, Yaz, Elvis Costello, and all but one song from Talking Heads. (more on that later) I still get pretty pumped up over hearing Adele on the radio even though any sane person would be sick to death of that CD after playing it over and over and over and over and over and over at home. But I’m not.

I love every and all musical genres (with the exception of new country which I think should be called country for people whose soul was eaten by a sequin). Yes, I know, this is where a lot of you are getting irate. Listening to new country is like listening to a bunch of 15 year old suburban white boys sing the blues. It just doesn’t make any sense to me. I love Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline and the rest of them. I equally love singer songwriters, jazz, classical, and rap. I think Eminem is a genius and Japan was the most underrated band of the 70’s. I still love all the alternative music I listened to in the 80’s yet also have a special place in my heart for Michael Jackson. The last person I thought was a true musical genius was Amy Winehouse. The point of all of this is to let you know I love music. All of it. (with the exception of sequin cowboys and cowgirls … rhinestone cowboys on the other hand are A okay by me)

At this very moment I can barely get this post written because I’m listening to Prince’s Purple Rain and I’m pretty sure I’m actually channeling Prince. You know how that is. When a song is so good and you love it so much you feel that just by listening to it, maybe lip syncing or singing if you’re the type, YOU are the song. You feel every single emotion in the song. YOU are the champion, YOU won’t stop believin’, YOU are a tiny dancer, the walrus, the wrecking ball.

That’s the beauty of music. It connects us. It makes us feel in a way nothing else can.

Sometimes that feeling is rage.

If you’re me that feeling of rage might come about when you hear Rock Lobster by The B52s. If you’re me that song might make you want to Google Guantanamo Bay torture tactics. I wish I could take the one and only copy of it left on the planet and smash it into a million pieces, gather it up, burn it, then bury it. In an unmarked grave. Then I’d sit an elephant on top of it.

Songs that stir up similar rage in me are My House by Madness and Burning Down the House by Talking Heads. Both bands had so many songs that were so much better but for whatever reason these two were the most radio friendly I guess. They may be friends with radio but they are not friends with me.

So there you have it. The songs I hate and WISH someone would officially retire from radio play (and wedding play and bar play and bar mitzvah play and bat mitzvah play).

Now you get your chance. If you could retire a song from the radio forever and ever amen, which one would it be?

I’m curious and I don’t wanna miss a thing.

Have a good weekend!

signature2

[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”5342563″]

1. KarlawithaK says:

Escape ~ The Pina Colada Song. There is no way I can express how much I despise this song. How a song about two people wanting to cheat on each other is considered happy and upbeat is beyond my understanding. I believe Hell’s waiting room has this playing on a loop.

2. Grammy says:

Oh, my. Please excuse me — I’ve stumbled into the wrong room. Much of the music that you and the others here like I have never heard. Really. I’ve heard of several of the “artists” but would not, could not, listen to what they call music. When my kids were teenagers and I was yelling, “Turn that crap DOWN!” they were playing Metallica and whatever that other noise was.

You have to understand, I recall listening to songs on the radio in the late 1940s, and all through the ’50s and ’60s and ’70s is “my” music and pretty much anything from the ’80s and ’90s makes my ears bleed. I like a lot of things since 2000 very much. There’s just something about 1980 through 1999 that seems like such a tragic loss of music to me. So, I’ll just move along while you nice folks discuss the topic at hand and see if I can find which door leads to the knitting club…

3. Eva says:

I love music of almost all kinds, but there are indeed many songs that should never have been written. It’s diffcult to prioritize the worst of those, except for the worst of the worst: “Winds of Change” by the Scorpions – I am no aggressive person, but this makes me want to destroy the radio, every time. Also here in Germany we have a musical style called Schlager. Old Schlager songs are fun sometimes, newer versions are unbelieveably pukeworthy, and I know of no exception.

4. Jay says:

Dash it all, Karen, now I have my most hated songs as earworms!

Achey Breaky Heart… Billy Ray Cyrus should be tried at The Hague for a crime against humanity.

I can’t listen to overblown diva Celine Dion, and my Everyone Thinks They Are Geniuses But Me band (which I know makes me a pariah) is Led Zeppelin. Every time I hear something on the radio and say “geez, what is this crap?” the answer is always Led Zeppelin .

I need a quick burst of Paolo Nutini’s Pencilful of Lead or some Tom Petty to recover from it.

• sheila says:

Couldn’t agree more with Led Zeppelin. They are horrendous. Whiny, obnoxious noise.

Also – Johnny Cash! The man cannot carry a tune! Most of his later songs all sounded the same and – surprise – he was flat on almost every. single. one.!

• Cussot says:

Aw, I weep uncontrollably every time I hear that cover Cash did of the Nine Inch Nails song Hurt. It’s such a memento mori that it’s soul searing.

5. Melanie says:

I hate Africa by Toto. And Land Down Under. I’ll drive my car off the road in an effort to change the station as quickly as possible. Ever have a song that you sing in a totally annoying voice in an effort to prove just how annoying the song is? Yup. It’s just like that!

6. Kate says:

I was a teen in the 80’s, and I love all the “alternative” stuff, but Sweet Home Alabama has the same effect on me, too! Rocky Mountain Way always gets turned up. The songs I hope I never have to hear again are almost everything by Hall and Oats and absolutely everything by Asia. Good grief! Anything that uses autotune or endless repeating of the words (I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night).
    I agree about the new country. Merle, Hank, Johnny, Willie and Pasty – that’s country!

7. Sherry in Alaska says:

Yummy, Yummy, Yummy I Got Love in My Tummy. High Hopes.
    GAG!

8. Claire says:

I too turn the volume way up for Sweet Home Alabama (and You Shook Me All Night Long). However I absolutely hate anything by Bob Dylan or Justin Bieber… Their voices hurt my ears.

9. Susan says:

The Power of Love by Jennifer Rush must be the worst song on this planet.

10. Renee says:

“At 17” by Janice Ian….ugh….ugh…ugh!!!

11. Dana says:

Karen, I love you from the bottom of my heart and your blog makes me so happy BUT…there’s always a but, isn’t there? The one song I’d ban from the radio forever is Sweet Home Alabama. If I were dying and they played that song my last minutes on earth would feel like a lifetime, that’s how bad I hate it. See, I’m from Alabama. Lived here most of my life. I love Alabama, we have a lot of good stuff going on down here. However that damn song is played at every damn football game, every damn baseball game, every damn thing. It’s inescapable. I OD’d on that song 20 years ago. So, if you want to hear it come on down! I’ll give you a tour of Alabama and you can play that damn song on repeat. But I’ll be wearing ear plugs.

Well now I know where to go when I need a fix. Only problem is on the drive there I’m likely to hear Rock Lobster 100x on the radio. ~ karen!

12. Rebecca says:

Sex and Candy by Marcy Playground. I’m not myself when I hear even a second of that song. I cover my ears and scream at whomever is closest to “turn that sh*t off!” It just makes me so angry.

13. Nicole says:

ANYTHING by Steve Miller. A few notes in and I’m retching.

• Jennifer says:

My husband is the same about Steve Miller! I, on the other hand, can’t stand anything to do with Stayin’ Alive. Really, anything BeeGees makes me gag.

14. Charlene says:

Radiohead.

The music is phenomenal…his voice though…makes me want to do damage to something!

Incredible really the strong emotion tied to music and words.

15. Gwennie says:

The Rose by Better Midler makes me cringe. Also, the Titanic ballad, My Heart Will Go On, by Celine Dion. NEVER PLAY THEM AGAIN!

16. FlagirlinTN says:

Crazy how many of those mentioned I agree with. I’ll add ” we built this city” by Starship. They should have stayed in retirement.

• toekneetoni says:

Good call – we built this city! completely cornball song that was totally overplayed on the radio from day 1.

17. E.J. says:

Raise a Little Hell….played to death!!
    Runs screaming from the room….
    Nirvana… didn’t get them in the 90’s and still don’t know what he’s saying….

18. Margaret says:

OK I am old but in the late 50 early 60s there was a song that went….If you want him to love you wear your hair just for him, Do what he wants to do and more of the same…. What a horrible thing to tell young women! But we ate it up and did just that. YUK. Then there is a that song by Micheal Jackson basically 2 words Beat it Seriously stupid!!!!

19. Ann says:

I have enjoyed this tirade so very much, LOL!! I even commented to a few comments, something I never usually do. I wanted to have a “like” or “love” button to push like on Facebook for many of them.

I do know that many of my intense dislike songs have already been mentioned. But on my own I can not think of any ones not named yet but I am sure there are a few. Maybe being 5 am has something to do with my inability to think.

I do know I never loved anything from Aerosmith or Pink Floyd. Hated Stairway to Heaven. Hated Money and Another Brick in the Wall.

But Karen, you simply must do a post on the opposite side of the coin. Songs that absolutely make us want to sing at the top of our lungs. Especially one hit wonders. Limit everybody to only mentioning 3 songs. I have been thinking a lot about that lately and have some great ones to mention.

Then maybe songs you would want played at your memorial service. I guarantee that will get some very quirky responses. At least it will for me.

Yes, please do a post in re ‘most loved’ and songs for memorial services –
      But, reading this post and the response has been a true delight!

• sdl says:

you are right !
      my go to song when I’m feeling ‘whatever’ ;;;; 4 non blondes ‘ whats going on’…. and I scream from the top of my lungs…

20. Jonne says:

Some people call me the space cowboy, yeah
    Some call me the gangster of love
    Some people call me Maurice
    ‘Cause I speak of the pompitous of love

UGH UGH UGH Steve Miller Band UGH UGH UGH

21. Phyllis Kraemer says:

Wow!…what a great post..followed by great comments!….fantastic!!…You are brilliant…truly…”tiny dancer, the walrus and the wrecking ball”!!!…Ha…you kill me!……your followers were hysterically funny too…”little guy with the glasses”…LOL..damn near spit my coffee out!! Thanks for the early morning joy!!

22. Cynthia Jones says:

Anything by Nickelback. Those guys need to get some Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor support.
    Jeez! They can take me down with that one line “this is how you remind me of what Ah really Am”. Bam, bam, drags me down till I want to jump off a cliff.

23. maggie van sickle says:

Boy Karen you really are good at stirring up s–t! I love it. I like almost anything but it depends on the mood I am in as to what I will listen to. I am with you on the new country though. I like the Patsy Clines, Merle Haggards, Willie Nelsons etc etc of the world. have a great weekend Karen reading about the likes and dislikes and why.

24. KimS says:

Easy- KT Tunstall Black Horse and the Cherry Tree…I call it the woo hoo song and I absolutely hate it – it goes right through me!

25. Farquist says:

“He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother.” What?
    “Lean On Me.” Um, no.
    “Stand By Me.” Please don’t.

26. Loving You by Minnie Riperton and anything by The Captain and Tennille
    La la la la la, la la la la la…

27. Ann says:

Just thought of a couple.

Candle in the Wind by Elton John….either version

Muskrat Love by The Captain and Tenille

28. IRS says:

Long before you posted this Karen, I developed a theory. It is that we are most likely to enjoy listening to music that comes out when we are age 15 to 25, give or take a few years. This is an impressionable time of discovery, and I think that people rarely dislike the music that is “new” at that time in their life. It is certainly possible to later discover a love for music that was new before your time, and to like something that comes along later, but that decade really imprints on your tastes. That said, I find it interesting – and quite amusing- that while I do like a few of the songs that have been marked for extinction by the readers above, I completely agree with most of the hatred. Even though taste is highly personal, it is amazing how many people really despise certain songs. Makes you wonder how these songs ever sold so many copies.

29. Pam says:

In 1980 I attended Heatwave, a concert in Toronto, The B52s, Elvis Costello and Talking Heads all played at the event. Elvis Costello was the headliner and I was really looking forward to seeing him. But when the Talking Heads came on at sundown they became the headliners. There was a connection to the music with the 100,000 people there that I still remember 35 years later and have never experienced at another of the many concerts I saw. There was great power that night in the song Burning Down the House and when I hear it now I can still feel that power. On another note, I’ve never appreciated the band The Police. Never felt that their music was memorable, live or recorded although I’m sure a great deal of money was made off songs like Roxanne, go figure!

I think people think I don’t like Talking Heads. I do. I love them. But Once in a Lifetime, Psycho Killer, This Must be the Place … GREAT songs that are hardly ever played on the radio. Burning Down the house became the a.m. kind of anthem for them. Ditto for Madnesses “Our House”. Bleh. ~ karen!

30. Thera says:

Almost every song that has been redone, leave the originals alone.
    And anything sung by a guy that sounds like he has been kicked in the nuts ie Led Zepplin, Rush, Prince etc.

31. ~JackieVB says:

I have always H A T E D that song called Jackie Blue. ‘Ewww Ewwww, Ewww Ewwww – Jackie Blue. Making wishes that never come true…” Of course it probably has more to do with the name than anything else 😉 And I heard that song twice this week – un-believable, I thought I was done with it forever. The people I was with had the nerve to ask me if I liked that song. I’m going to have to wash my ears out now.

32. Kim says:

I just know Karen is snickering and thinking…I really got them going this time! LOL I had a hard time remembering which ones make me cringe until you guys got going. I agree with a large portion of them. That said…..How the heck can I get “Sometimes when we touch” out of my head? Thanks ALOT!!!!
    Have a great weekend all!

33. Gary G from Holland, Michigan says:

The worse song ever: YMCA by the Village People.

34. Susan says:

I Don’t Like To Sleep Alone, by Paul Anka! Have you ever listened to the inane lyrics? “I don’t like to sleep alone, sad to say, some folks do. I don’t like to sleep alone, no one does, do you?” Arrrrgggghhhh! And the worst part is that when you hear it on the radio, it sticks in your head for days. Dear Paul, not only do you write contradicting and really bad poetry, you’re a WORM! A bloody ear worm!

35. Beckie says:

Char: If I Could Turn Back Time

Cher, if *I* could “turn back time”, you’d have your original nose and still be doing awesome stuff like “Dark Lady”.

Led Zep: Kashmir…I swear, this song could induce seizures

and I have been to many concerts whereby the band I am there to see covers Kashmir (Trans Siberian Orchestra, Bowfire, just to name 2), so I know, it is *just* me with this song

anything by Katy Perry…don’t know why, but she is just dial-changing for me

36. Jen says:

I agree with 99% of this post. I don’t hate Rock Lobster. Yet.

37. Steph says:

BABA O’REILLY!! – the who

Honestly, if I never hear that song again I will consider my life a success.

38. marilyn says:

well everyone has pretty much covered my dislikes..lol. i too agree with you on new country..it’s just disgusting!
    i love the old stuff, and Mark Knoplfer of Dire Straits has a Godlike status in our house, his cd “Golden Heart” is our fave! i ntresting topic to say the least! Music is like the air we breathe, just have to have it!

39. Speaking of Paul Anka, “Having My Baby” makes my skin crawl. All copies should and must be destroyed, stat. Also “Wing Beneath My Wings”–narcissistic junk. Even though they’ve since changed the hilarious opening line, “It must have been cold there in my shadow,” to something less self-centered, they’re not fooling me. I try not to roll my eyes at weddings because it would be impolite and then caught on video and then the lovely couple would see it on playback and I’d never get invited to anything ever again.

40. Amanda Rudack says:

Where The Streets Have No Name, With Or Without You, pretty much anything that charted from The Joshua Tree. Brandy. Wildfire. That stupid “You make my speakers go boom boom” song.

41. Tigermom says:

Hotel California – The Eagles

Anything by Aviici – to me, his singing sounds like someone is strangling a sheep

Most Country music – especially the nasal-y honking variety and I am from Texas (please don’t believe it when you hear that everyone from Texas listens to country music. Not true.)

Feelings – Can’t remember who did it and don’t care

Freebird – Lynyrd Skynyrd (not sure how to spell it)

All Journey except for City by the Bay

Urgent by Foreigner

Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow – Fleetwood Mac

There are some more newer songs, too, but I seem to be particularly annoyed by the songs that I feel have unjustifiably attained anthem status. : /

42. Mel says:

I’m the fastest draw turning the radio dial when anything by Nicki Minaj, Metallica or Kanye West comes on.
    Love Shack and Paradise by the Dashboard Lights male me so annoyed that I’m angry.. Annogry? Angroyed?

43. danni says:

WaaaaaaAAAAAHHHH!!!!
    A chorus of horrid horrid things running through my head now!!! A stampede of ear worms! A slithering slimy mucus-y tangle of ear worms! Jesus sweet Mary make it STOOOOOPPPPP~!!!!!

44. Stella Mac says:

Patio Lanterns!

• Phyllis Kraemer says:

Finally….#94….me too!! I like Kim Mitchell as an announcer…can’t believe he wrote that song…or did he?

45. Carswell says:

…New country which I think should be called country for people whose soul was eaten by a sequin…

Best line ever!

• Phyllis Kraemer says:

Morning Carswell…for me it was a toss up between the “eaten by a sequin” remark and the “tiny dancer, walrus and wrecking ball” remark! What a great writer that Karen girl is!! Some of the comments were pretty funny too!

46. Su says:

99.9% of the rap music. Hate. IT….. Most heavy metal hair bands from the 80’s…. ANYTHING disco-themed… could not stand disco in the 70’s and hate it still…. most ‘pop’ music from the last 40 years…. must be why I pretty much have only classic rock and news programmed into my radio…
    ‘new country’… with the exception of Garth, Faith, Tim and Miranda and Carrie….
    Killer Queen… hate that song….
    oh and Hotel California… unless of course, like I said before, stickly an acuostic version…..

47. Mary says:

Haha…so fun to read! No one mentioned DISCO much but I had lots of fun dancing in those days…I loved the BeeGees and still do. Before that, I liked Led Zepplin, Janis Joplin, Santana, and other 60’s type music by people that overdosed to my great sadness. Before that (I’m old) I did enjoy the classic country “Stand by your man” and like that, even if it was very politically incorrect I still had the Cinderella thing going. That’s how I grew up. Now I’m kind of a romantic fool, I love “You light up my life” “knights in white satin” slow kind of emo love songs like that. Even though, the prince came and left more times that I will admit…at least I still have the music….

48. sarah says:

But it wasn’t a rock……it was a ROCK LOBSTAAAA!!!

damn, I love that song. It is one of my top roll down the windows and crank the volume up songs!!

49. Pam Pruitt says:

Anything by Rush, even back in the 70’s I hated them.

One summer I was trapped in a starter job that involved me sorting through donated crap.

In a hot warehouse.

With just an AM radio.

That was the summer that Afternoon Delight came out. OMG, kill me now. They played it every 30 minutes. I had to quit the job to escape from the nightmare.

Doctor My Eyes.

Someone thinks this is an acceptable song to play in EVERY store I enter. Its the only Jackson Browne song I ever hear. And he has so many beautiful songs, but that one SUCKS.

Although I have loved these songs, they made my MOST OVERPLAYED ROCK SONGS EVAR

Layla

Free Bird

Light My Fire

Honky Tonk Woman

and Stairway To Heaven (although I really really love Led Zep)

50. Cred says:

Wow. This has been really fun. I couldnt think of a song I hated more than any other- but there were many great reminders in the comments, I found it hard to choose.
    I agree with others, Sometimes when we Touch, You Light up my Life, Having my Baby, etc- any of the super barfy love songs of the 70s and the sappy love songs of the 80s were nearly as bad, Lady in Red and Lionel Ritchie fare- bleeech!
    Like another commenter, I would describe myself as ABC (except Johnny Cash and maybe a handful of old country song my parents listened to). But otherwise I usually listen to many genres. However, I think the Beatles are wildly overrated- I can understand and appreciate their legendary popularity at the time but geez, timeless musical geniuses, I don’t think so.
    Also, all those high school dance/prom/wedding rock classics- like Paradise by the Dashboard Light and Stairway to Heaven (really? Why weren’t these songs dead by the time I was in high school). And so with that reflection in mind, I have to say Old Time Rock and Roll tops my list. Please die already.