Spicy Sesame Noodles

Spicy-Noodles-2

My niece is one of those crazy vegetarians.  Not the total nutjob vegan type but your average every day vegetarian.  I, on the other hand am one of those freakshow  meat eaters.  Meat, meat, meat.  I. Eat. Meat.

I thought I ate a lot of it.  I thought I was the meat eater of the century, capable of winning awards and making third world countries disease free with the juice of my antibiotic laced meat sweats.  Turns out … maybe I’m not as good at is as I thought.

For the past 2 years, for whatever reason, I’ve been taking a quick iPhone picture of my dinner and sending it to my niece before I settle down to put my incisors to good use.  She Oooosss and Ahhhhsss over all of the vegetables, noodles and extra stuff while making barfing sounds at the sight of the meat.  It’s our thing.  I make fun of her “lifestyle” as a vegetarian she makes fun of mine as a barbarian.  Then we talk about what’s going on in Homeland this season and whether or not we think her husband will make it a full month without injuring himself in some ridiculous way.

But the other day I scrolled through a few hundred of my dinner photos and realized … I’m not the Majesty of Meat at all.  I probably eat meat 3 out of 7 days a week which barely counts as a meat eater at all.  I’d be laughed right out of caveman training.

Technically the recipe I’m going to show you today could be served with chicken but I kindda like it without. In fact, I way prefer it meatless.

It’s Spicy Sesame Noodles.  And it all comes down to the sauce.

I’ve been trying, searching for, experimenting with developing a spicy peanut type sauce for years now.  I’d pretty much given up on it actually, then a month or so ago I thought I’d give it another shot.

I know there are a bunch of sesame noodle recipes out there that are really easy and pretty good, but I didn’t want pretty good.  I wanted great.

And low and behold it’s not only vegetarian, it’s VEGAN.

Spicy-Noodles-3

The important thing to this recipe, the only thing really, is the sauce.  It’s a spicy sesame/peanut sauce that will keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks.  Probably longer actually but it’s never lasted that long around these parts because it’s so versatile.  This sauce is GREAT on noodles, chicken, fried tofu, spring rolls, and it’s especially good stirred into one of my favourite side dishes,  sautéed kale with shredded carrots.

There are other sesame noodle sauce recipes with less ingredients, but that’s why they taste a bit flat.  This one has more depth of flavour making it taste more complex.  In other words better.

Spicy-Noodles-overhead

The other great thing about this recipe is it’s completely customizable.  I’ve developed it for my tastes and so it has a balance of sweet, salty, acidic and heat. But if you don’t like heat, then just don’t add the chili pepper flakes.  If you LOVE heat, then add more.

Ditto for the sugar, ginger, or anything else.

Spicy Sesame Noodles

Insanely delicious noodle recipe. PLUS you can refrigerate the sauce and it's great for chicken satay's the next  night. 🙂
5 from 2 votes

• 1/2 cup hot water approximately
  • 1 lb Chinese Noodles like Instant noodles for instance
  • 4 green onions sliced thin
  • 1 carrot grated or sliced in matchsticks
  • 1 red bell pepper sliced very thin

Instructions

• To toast your sesame seeds just put them in a dry pan over medium low heat and toast until golden.
  • Reserve 1 Tablespoon of the sesame seeds for garnish.
  • Add the sesame seeds, soy sauce, peanut butter, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, hot sauce, and pepper flakes to a blender or food processor. Blend until combined well.
  • Add the water a tiny bit at a time until the sauce becomes runny like cream. Stop adding water once you're at the right consistency. You might not use all the water.
  • Cook the noodles according to package directions. Instant noodles only take 1 minute to cook.
  • Strain noodles and add the green onions, carrots and red peppers. Toss with the sauce then garnish with reserved sesame seeds.

Notes

For the vegan version choose noodles made without eggs.

Nutrition

Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 631mg | Potassium: 312mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 3600IU | Vitamin C: 41.8mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 2mg

Keep any leftover sauce in the fridge. It’s great for chicken satays.

Unless of course you’re a vegetarian. Or vegan.  If that’s the case then insert barfing sounds here.

1. Jeanne says:

Just like Neil. So good, so good, so good!

2. Alexandra says:

This is an AMAZING recipe. I think I commented some time ago that I basically drink it out of the jar I use to (try to) store it, it’s just that good. I love it with everything. It’s great with oven-baked vegetables!!

3. Heather (mtl) says:

Too late for tonight, but nice to know my pantry is already stocked and at the ready for tomorrow!
    I may add my toasted sesame oil as the aroma alone is divine.
    Did you ever try the brownie recipe I posted? Simple but really hits the choc-spot.
    Thanks for sharing your recipes!

4. Karin in NC says:

I didn’t see this the first time around so I am very happy that you reposted it. Sounds delish and since I am a Peanut Sauce lover (and I’ve tried MANY recipes) I will now have to try this. Thanks!

5. Andrea says:

Karen…just made the sesame seed dish. It was soooooo good!!!!! We don’t have any vegans….what we did have was two containers of cooked plain noodles ( macaroni noodles to be exact) sitting in the fridge untouched from pasta night two dinners ago. I did have to go to the grocery store for some ingredients but reflecting on your other recent post…I stuck to the list. You are such a good influence! I followed the recipe (so easy) and just reheated the noodles in boiling water. Everyone had two helpings! Thank you for helping get rid of the mundane boring noodles. The other two recipes are on this week’s dinner menu as well. I have a sister Karen so to avoid confusion I refer to you as “my blogger”, when telling my husband about your posts. My husband said after dinner tonight…”I like your blogger”. Just wanted you to know you have a growing fan club here in Fort Erie Ontario.

6. Headpeon says:

Just tried this recipe. It is fabulous. Go Karen!

I made one change, though. As we are trying to eat less refined sugar, I used molasses instead of the brown sugar. (Yes, I know molasses has sugar in it. Note that “refined” was the operative word in my opening statement.)

It turned out great. I imagine it’s a bit less sweet than your recipe, but I really liked the slight smokiness the molasses gave to the sauce. Just FYI.

7. Tracie says:

I made this today and am loving it! First time making peanut sauce, and was apprehensive about the amount of brown sugar…without reason as it turns out. I followed the recipe exactly, just adding a bit more garlic and ginger, and it’s sooo good. Used the 1 minute noodles too, great idea!

8. Bronwyn says:

A hit with the 44 year old, the 10 year old, and the 7 year old. This one goes on repeat. If not high rotation!

9. Serduszko says:

OMG Karen! I made this recipe for dinner tonight! So amazingly delicious! This will be my new go to recipe! Thank you! Thank you! 🙂

10. Lynne says:

I made this for brunch the day after you posted, and have made it several times since, so good!!!
    My sweetheart is (unexpectedly) home from work today so I will make him this for lunch adding some left over chicken and a bit of sesame oil to the sauce, I know he will request some protein and tofu won’t cut it.
    Selfish of me to have kept this little taste of heaven all to myself but I don’t feel the least bit guilty 🙂
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for this recipe and for sharing the awesomeness that is you!