The Chicken Coop

I give up.

I. Give. Up.

I cannot do this anymore.

I can’t keep the house, make dinner, author a blog, complain about the state of my fingernails and build a Frank Lloyd Wright worthy chicken coop all at the same time.

If this coop is ever going to get built I have to devote all of my time to it.  Which means … prepare yourselves … no more posts.

Kind of.

Until this chicken coop is done, I’m going to have something a little different for you.

I couldn’t leave you with nothing, so I have for you,

The Coop Cam!

From now until this coop is done, or at least done to the point that the thought of it isn’t giving me hives, I will have a live video camera in my backyard that you can watch at any time you want.

Honest to God.  You heard me right.

The Art of Doing Stuff is going live.

Yes.  You can watch me build a coop.  Watch me swear.  Watch me drink coffee.  Watch me look quizzically at a measuring tape, back at the coop, then back at the measuring tape all in real time video!

It’ll be just like that National Geographic Africa Cam where you can watch a big pond, waiting for lions and elephants to come and drink out of it.

Which  brings me to my next point …

Because this is a working atmosphere there may be times where you don’t see me.  You’ll be looking at an empty backyard.  It’s at those times that I’m either at the lumberyard getting more supplies or curled up in a ball where the camera can’t see me taking a nap.

I need naps now.  I’m getting burnt out.  So burnt out that I was careless yesterday and nearly cut my finger off on a piece of drip edge.  It was that occurrence that led me to finally make the decision to slow down, to stop trying to do everything and focus on getting these chickens in their coop.

That’s right.  Crazy Glue.  My boyfriend who has more experience with stitches than anyone I know glued me back up.  I couldn’t look at my cut because I knew it was bad.   I cut myself, clenchend my other hand around my finger, ran in the house and begged for help.  He was in the shower at the time.  He was as calm as could be.  Probably because it wasn’t his finger handing on by a thread.  He assessed the damage, made sure I could still move it and decided that at the hospital they’d just tape it closed anyway, so I might as well let him do it.

It was a Saturday afternoon when every other knob doing home improvement stuff would be filling up the ER, so I agreed to let him take care of it.  After a thorough (too thorough if you ask me) cleaning, he had me bend my finger as tightly as I could and then he stuck my skin together with Crazy Glue.  After the glue dried, he taped it together with stitch tape for good measure.

I should say I’ve only hurt myself doing home improvements twice and BOTH times it was from working with metal.  Very, VERY dangerous.

Back to the coop cam information!

I will be checking your comments and answering questions throughout the day.  You will see me at my messy best.  I might scratch my bum or itch my boob.  These things happen.

The chickens will also be starring in the video.  I let them roam around the backyard all day so you will definitely see the chickens.  You will also definitely see me shooing the chickens away from my hostas.  Chickens love a good hosta.

I should also probably mention that I have no idea what I’m doing with this live video business so there may be a few glitches.  I’ll do my best to keep things running smoothly and in order.

Since this is real reality television, as opposed to that fake reality television it’s sure to be boring.  Kind of like watching a fish tank.  If a fish tank could cause severe bodily damage to itself at any given moment.  And if a fish tank swore and ate hotdogs for lunch.

The Coop Cam will go live Monday morning at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Standard time.   God help me.

I’ve found sometimes you need to refresh your screen for the live video to come up.  If you don’t see a video directly below here it’s because the coop is now built and the coop cam is now down.

1. Linda says:

Oh finger cuts make me feel faint and I want to scream!Can’t wait to see the chickens all walking around.

2. Marti says:

I was entirely correct. EPIC!

Just tuned in. Saw you sitting on top of roof, scratching something and tugging at the tree branch that had the NERVE to come toward that coop.

This is so hilarious! Good luck with the building! You’re a hit!

3. Grace Rodich says:

I’m fascinated by this and I really enjoyed the chicken chase after you when you walked off camera. I didn’t know there was sound! Just turned on my speakers.

4. Ana says:

I checked out the cam, forgot it was on and got scared/confused when I heard you cough and then your phone ring!! Must remember when I’m spying on people!

Good luck with the coop!! We all know you can do it!!

5. Kelli says:

Loved watching the chickens roam around. And good work on the coop! Such a project!

6. Molly says:

This is so fun! I love it!

7. Jen says:

1) I envy your need for a sweatshirt, it’s 95+ here in Florida!

2) Your coop makes me think of the treehouse that ModFruGal is making (http://modfrugal.com/2011/06/treehouse-update-4/), which totally makes me want to build a hybrid space for me over the winter. An on-the-ground, snug little spot to curl up for reading and what not. Beautiful work!

8. Mickey says:

Karen, you are so totally talented, awesome, way out there……and a whole bunch of other good shit. You make my day!!!
    Mickey

9. Rebecca says:

I love you! With the exception of being accosted by a great big chicken eye in the camera, I’m completely fascinated! So impressed!

10. Christina says:

It is SO much fun to see you live! I’ve read your posts for a year now, and squealed with delight at beeing able to view your handy work and chickens live.

Love, from Sweden

11. Lindsey says:

I’ve watched this for about 2 minutes and I’m kind of nervous if you fall off that roof. Who do I call if that happens? Do I rely on the other watchers to call? However, it’s kind of nice to see the grit behind the process, not just the pretty photo-shopped post.

12. Carol-Anne says:

I feel guilty watching you…. I want to help you!

13. Claire says:

Your chicken coop looks extremely professional! What do your cats think of the chickens?

Claire – They have yet to meet. Bit of a scary scenario. I’m not sure who’d beat up on/eat whom. ~ karen

14. Stacy G says:

Karen, this is GREAT!!! So very inspiring to get me off my took is and out in my great/tiny backyard and try to finish that garden fence I started, I’m sad to say, about 10 years ago, lol! Never really got finished, just kept adding plants instead:-) Good job! Thanks for the inspiration:-)

15. Leanne says:

“if a fish tank swore and ate hotdogs for lunch.”
    Ok so I love you. Not in a crazy stalker kinda way… not in a marry me please i can’t live without you kinda way but definitely in a i’m gonna follow your blog and watch your chickens sometimes and laugh if you do, in fact, itch without thinking kind of way. you. rock. (ps. i am not illiterate and uneducated. although i may have mispelled those words without thinking. i just have my hands too full to press shift for caps. ) the end.

16. Amy in StL says:

Your cut has made me come to a startling realization: My boyfriend (the paramedic) is always offering to stitch me up if I injure myself because they use superglue rather than stitches most of the time now. He’s always talking about how they glue cuts shut and it just occurred to me that he might miss stitching. I think I’m going to have him hem my skirt – a good invisible hem is hard to beat.

17. kate says:

Good Grief!! It’s looks Huge! It’s going to be the Taj Mahal of chicken coops! Out here in Calif. I just had a few little wee cages with a few boxes with straw and a board with sticks nailed across to lead from the cage door to the ground so the hens could come and go. I LOVE it!!! Here’s another idea – a Hen Internet show! I don’t watch any soaps – but an ongoing sequel to the coop cam has to be way more interesting than any soap: “All my chickens”, “Eggs of our lives”, “As the bird yearns”………sorry, I’ll shut-up now

18. Jenn says:

This is …

Was it Mark Twain – I love work, I can watch other people do it for hours?

This is slacker crack.

Ooooo, an air compressor!

19. Holly says:

Good luck with your building! I am a teacher in mid-summer-got-to-fix-everything-that-has-been-broken-during-the-school year-mode…next on the list is a shower surround. Thanks for your fun blog, my friend turned me on to it and I love it!

20. Shauna says:

I totally understand needing a break. After three straight weekends (we work full-time you see) of coop building/watching our 3-year old (because a 3 year old isn’t as much help with building as he thinks), we were totally burnt out. An offer from a friend to join them in Palm Springs had us there in a jiffy. Next weekend, we are hoping to finally be done with chicken coop building. On to actually finding chickens.
    Best of luck. I am excited about the chicken cam. Naps are good & necessary, so take as many as you need so as not to chop off a limb.

21. Angela N says:

Yeouch! You know what though, both times I had my c-sections, all they did was glue me back up. Not one stitch. On the outside anyways. Can’t wait to see your finished coup!!

I love that we can watch you working on your chickens. I can hear you right now sawing. lol

22. Amanda says:

I’m excited to see the finished product, but this is already looking pretty good. I really hope I get to see a chicken!

23. brie says:

ummmmm this is weirdly interesting to watch…

24. Laura M says:

You’re amazing! I love this chick(en) cam idea. By the way, a glue called Krytonite is used in surgery to help seal incisions. Crazy Glue is like the Red Green version of it. LOL

25. Jane says:

What a fantastic idea! I just logged on.. just in time to see you walk away:( I just wanted to congratulate you on a brilliant plan!

26. Christina says:

This is entertaining me even without sound. Will definitely check back later when I’m at home. I did not expect the chickens to run around so much. Silly chickens.