The Chicken Coop

I give up.

I. Give. Up.

I cannot do this anymore.

I can’t keep the house, make dinner, author a blog, complain about the state of my fingernails and build a Frank Lloyd Wright worthy chicken coop all at the same time.

If this coop is ever going to get built I have to devote all of my time to it.  Which means … prepare yourselves … no more posts.

Kind of.

Until this chicken coop is done, I’m going to have something a little different for you.

I couldn’t leave you with nothing, so I have for you,

The Coop Cam!

From now until this coop is done, or at least done to the point that the thought of it isn’t giving me hives, I will have a live video camera in my backyard that you can watch at any time you want.

Honest to God.  You heard me right.

The Art of Doing Stuff is going live.

Yes.  You can watch me build a coop.  Watch me swear.  Watch me drink coffee.  Watch me look quizzically at a measuring tape, back at the coop, then back at the measuring tape all in real time video!

It’ll be just like that National Geographic Africa Cam where you can watch a big pond, waiting for lions and elephants to come and drink out of it.

Which  brings me to my next point …

Because this is a working atmosphere there may be times where you don’t see me.  You’ll be looking at an empty backyard.  It’s at those times that I’m either at the lumberyard getting more supplies or curled up in a ball where the camera can’t see me taking a nap.

I need naps now.  I’m getting burnt out.  So burnt out that I was careless yesterday and nearly cut my finger off on a piece of drip edge.  It was that occurrence that led me to finally make the decision to slow down, to stop trying to do everything and focus on getting these chickens in their coop.

That’s right.  Crazy Glue.  My boyfriend who has more experience with stitches than anyone I know glued me back up.  I couldn’t look at my cut because I knew it was bad.   I cut myself, clenchend my other hand around my finger, ran in the house and begged for help.  He was in the shower at the time.  He was as calm as could be.  Probably because it wasn’t his finger handing on by a thread.  He assessed the damage, made sure I could still move it and decided that at the hospital they’d just tape it closed anyway, so I might as well let him do it.

It was a Saturday afternoon when every other knob doing home improvement stuff would be filling up the ER, so I agreed to let him take care of it.  After a thorough (too thorough if you ask me) cleaning, he had me bend my finger as tightly as I could and then he stuck my skin together with Crazy Glue.  After the glue dried, he taped it together with stitch tape for good measure.

I should say I’ve only hurt myself doing home improvements twice and BOTH times it was from working with metal.  Very, VERY dangerous.

Back to the coop cam information!

I will be checking your comments and answering questions throughout the day.  You will see me at my messy best.  I might scratch my bum or itch my boob.  These things happen.

The chickens will also be starring in the video.  I let them roam around the backyard all day so you will definitely see the chickens.  You will also definitely see me shooing the chickens away from my hostas.  Chickens love a good hosta.

I should also probably mention that I have no idea what I’m doing with this live video business so there may be a few glitches.  I’ll do my best to keep things running smoothly and in order.

Since this is real reality television, as opposed to that fake reality television it’s sure to be boring.  Kind of like watching a fish tank.  If a fish tank could cause severe bodily damage to itself at any given moment.  And if a fish tank swore and ate hotdogs for lunch.

The Coop Cam will go live Monday morning at 10:00 a.m. Eastern Standard time.   God help me.

I’ve found sometimes you need to refresh your screen for the live video to come up.  If you don’t see a video directly below here it’s because the coop is now built and the coop cam is now down.

1. kate says:

Good Grief!! It’s looks Huge! It’s going to be the Taj Mahal of chicken coops! Out here in Calif. I just had a few little wee cages with a few boxes with straw and a board with sticks nailed across to lead from the cage door to the ground so the hens could come and go. I LOVE it!!! Here’s another idea – a Hen Internet show! I don’t watch any soaps – but an ongoing sequel to the coop cam has to be way more interesting than any soap: “All my chickens”, “Eggs of our lives”, “As the bird yearns”………sorry, I’ll shut-up now

2. Jenn says:

This is …

Was it Mark Twain – I love work, I can watch other people do it for hours?

This is slacker crack.

Ooooo, an air compressor!

3. Holly says:

Good luck with your building! I am a teacher in mid-summer-got-to-fix-everything-that-has-been-broken-during-the-school year-mode…next on the list is a shower surround. Thanks for your fun blog, my friend turned me on to it and I love it!

4. Shauna says:

I totally understand needing a break. After three straight weekends (we work full-time you see) of coop building/watching our 3-year old (because a 3 year old isn’t as much help with building as he thinks), we were totally burnt out. An offer from a friend to join them in Palm Springs had us there in a jiffy. Next weekend, we are hoping to finally be done with chicken coop building. On to actually finding chickens.
    Best of luck. I am excited about the chicken cam. Naps are good & necessary, so take as many as you need so as not to chop off a limb.

5. Angela N says:

Yeouch! You know what though, both times I had my c-sections, all they did was glue me back up. Not one stitch. On the outside anyways. Can’t wait to see your finished coup!!

I love that we can watch you working on your chickens. I can hear you right now sawing. lol

6. Amanda says:

I’m excited to see the finished product, but this is already looking pretty good. I really hope I get to see a chicken!

7. brie says:

ummmmm this is weirdly interesting to watch…

8. Laura M says:

You’re amazing! I love this chick(en) cam idea. By the way, a glue called Krytonite is used in surgery to help seal incisions. Crazy Glue is like the Red Green version of it. LOL

9. Jane says:

What a fantastic idea! I just logged on.. just in time to see you walk away:( I just wanted to congratulate you on a brilliant plan!

10. Christina says:

This is entertaining me even without sound. Will definitely check back later when I’m at home. I did not expect the chickens to run around so much. Silly chickens.

11. LeeAnne says:

At least if you fall from your ladder/coop roof some one can phone your neighbour! Be careful, falling is incredibly easy to do and ultra humiliating. :-/
    When you tell people how you got hurt you just know they are thinking that they’d never be so foolish as to fall from a ladder.

12. Marti says:

Karen,

LOVE IT. Really! FUN!

But I will say, the only way I can tell that it is live is because I’m hearing a birdie chirp in the background. I wonder if it might be useful for you to find some sort of thing (child’s windup toy or battery driven [don’t go there] something) to have operating in the background.

WHERE ARE THOSE DANGED CHICKENS THAT SHOULD BE RUNNING AROUND?

This is gonna be EPIC!!!

13. Michele says:

Love that the ad at the top right now is “saferwholesale” chicken coops

14. Karen J says:

I got all excited when I finally saw you! Excited like when your first dinner party guests arrive.
    But I’m afraid, with my attention span, I might need a fast forward button!?!

15. Teshia says:

Nice. I turned it up as you ran to the camera and said, “Stupid, stupid chickens”. My kids came running over saying, “Mommy, she said a bad word!” and then laughed hysterically.

16. Sara says:

You Rock, Karen! I LOVE that you do this and let us all in on it. “Stupid… stupid chickens.” bwahhaaahaha!

17. Laurie says:

I can’t believe I’m so excited at the prospect of chickens. Karen is up there on the roof and every time I hear a squeak that might be a chicken I have to stop reading comments and scroll quickly all the way up. Can’t wait to see the end product and also the overall garden layout with the coop placement because I can’t quite picture it. OMG Chickens!!!! they are there… so worthwhile, maybe they were just scared away by hungry like a wolf?

18. Kasia says:

huh. I think you’re on the roof, is that red thing a leg??
    Love the streaming video idea!! I spent all spring watching baby eagles in Iowa grow up. Now I can watch your chicks grow up (and you curse!) lol :)

19. BTLover2 says:

…now Duran Duran… is that a radio station? Okay, enough of my musical play by play. I’m going to be torn between the Casey Anthony case and you building the coop. Whatever will I do?

20. Theresa says:

watching and listening now – brillant solution!like the musical selection – sounds like the chickens are chirping along!
    hope the finger mends quickly.
    May I suggest that you watch Chicken Run after you’ve completed the ultimate coop.
    rock on !