The Christmas Cookie Easel.

The Christmas Cookie Easel. Because if you create cookies that are works of art you should display them like they are!

Cookie-Display-stand

A few years ago at Christmas I made a bunch of gingerbread cookies that were all in the shape of my favourite farm animals. Which would be all farm animals except the rat.

They turned out beautiful and I loved them.  They were perfect for me and I was sick of making my usual Gingerbread men wearing a thong.  But when I put them out on a plate or even a platter they didn’t look nearly as impressive.  Therefore I didn’t look as impressive.  Now, when you have everyone over for dinner there are two things you want to accomplish in the small amount of time that people are in your  home. 1) You want them to feel at home and welcome.  2) You want them to be insanely jealous of you, your life, your home, your food and how effortless and impressive you are all at the same time.

I put a lot of work into these stupid farm animal cookies that summed up my whole life into 3 delicious bites.  I’m traditional but untraditional at the same time, I can cook delicious gingerbread and I’m way more fun than any of you.  Without those cookies looking their best I was just another schmo having a Christmas Eve dinner.

DIY Cookie Stand

So in 2015, on Christmas Eve, 10 minutes before everyone was supposed to show up here for dinner I ran downstairs, found a length of 1″x4″ wood  and some trim and made a cookie stand.

I cut two triangles and screwed them into the back of the wood so it would act like a really, really long cookbook stand.

And then I glued a thin piece of trim to the bottom of the front of the board so the cookies would have something to rest on and stand upright.

Depending on how long you make it, it can either run all the way down a dining table or in the corner of a kitchen counter or wherever.

Cookie-Stand-construction

The angle of your triangles should be somewhere just less than 45 degrees. It doesn’t really matter. As long as your two triangle supports are the same angle and stop your board from falling over, your cookies from falling off, and incite a crowd of people to applaud cookies for the first time in their lives.

Cookie-Stand-2

These are quickly made Gingerbread houses and a few Gingerbread apartment complexes. Because not everyone lives or wants to live in a house.

Granted, these cookies aren’t all that impressive.  If you want impressive read about my Snowglobe à la modes from a few years ago.

ginger-house-cookies

Like I said they’re not my best work but guess what?  People will still applauded and gave each other knowing glances that they came to the RIGHT house on Christmas Eve, because of the kick ass stand.

cookies-stand2

Many years ago Martha Stewart told me (O.K. she was on TV so she told everyone) that “You should feel good about making your home nicer for your family and your friends. And if they secretly hate you for it you should feel really, really good about it.”

I might have added that last bit in myself, but we all know it’s what she really meant.

If you’re going to do something, DO IT.  Don’t half ass it.  Kick ass it.  Always.

→Follow me on Instagram where I often make a fool of myself←

1. Maureen Locke says:

Love the stand, love the gingerbread houses ( perfect just the way they are) and love the blog Karen. I’ve gotten quite a kick out of the comments today, especially the “toning down the Canadian”.. lol What exactly does that mean?… we are who we are… plain and simple. I am so very proud to call you a fellow “Canadian” and plan on printing out your quote to start my New Year with. Have an amazing Christmas Karen, thank you for sharing you life with us. PS… I’m in with the t-shirt 🙂

2. Tara says:

Karen you are the Queen of the Nutjobs. In a good way. Happiest of 2016s ever to you!

3. Kipper says:

Wish we could do that here. Can’t leave food out on tables or counters. Unfortunately our cat likes to play hockey with any small objects he can find when no one is looking. Should have named him Mario Lemeow instead of Cashew.

4. Thera says:

Definitely kick ass! You, your blog, your cookie stand, cookies and commenters too! FYI I live app an hour away, I could bring snacks and would definitely ooohhhh and aaahhh!

Hahaha!! Well, when I’m short on Oooos and ahhhhs, I just supply them myself then look at my cat to try to get her to agree. ~ karen!

5. Janet says:

This is nothing short of brilliant. Thank you Karen. My son’s girlfriend studied art and decorates cookies her mom bakes. They are quite a team and their finished product is just as awesome as your idea. I can’t wait to present them with one of these to display their works of art.

6. Mary W says:

Still waiting to see the gingerbread man wearing a thong!

7. Mary W says:

You know, if you were a real DIYer, you would have made the easel out of gingerbread! LOL

8. KL says:

Quick question. I just rabbit-holed your post on tiny gingerbread houses and am obsessed. I never saw, though, what you served them on. Ice cream? Whipped cream? Would love to know. Thanks.

Hi KL. Did you click on the Gingerbread a la Mode post? It’s all in there. 🙂 It’s vanilla ice cream with crumbled gingerbread. ~ karen!

9. Jody says:

Hon, I was sTROLLING through the comments and laughing my ass off. Not half ass–full on ass. Oh….and love the easel.

10. Debbie says:

I love it! Like a Scrabble game letter holder. So I’m thinking that this would be fun to make scrabble letter cookies and if you get a letter you don’t like you can EAT it! A big scrabble board cookie with little scrabble board letters. This could be a year round fun game! Come to think of it, that would be a lot of baking. Maybe next year!
    Love your humor, love your blog! A lot of fun reading time!

11. Elaine A. Senft says:

you could consider this…scrabble cookie..

12. John says:

I think the easel idea is a lot of fun.
    Since you are showing off your decorating/baking skills, why not gild the lily by highlighting your carpentry abilities. I’m thinking a multi-tiered Christmas tree easel atop a lazy Susan…this is possibly a good project. To the workshop!

13. Claire Elizabeth Bickley says:

I love this – not just because it’s a woodworking project I may actually be able to do. I’m thinking of making two so they can face both sides of the table.
    Thanks Karen.
    And dear, dear kidneybear, you know how us Canadians have a rep for never saying a harsh word?
    Well, please fuck off.

14. TucsonPatty says:

Youse guys are all awesome and funny and supportive and helpful (well, except for the billy goat gruff under the bridge whose initials are kidneybear) and I love everything about your posts, Karen, and I think we are all pretty kick-ass to have found you to love!
    The end.