The Great Potato Harvest.
The Video

Earlier this week I told you all about my potatoes.

Which should have been good enough. But it wasn’t. I feel as though I cheated you. Let you down. Lied to you. And I did.

You see, I also recorded the Great Potato Harvest. I didn’t get a ton of footage, just a little bit, but definitely enough to make a video for you to watch. Because who doesn’t love to watch another person dig up potatoes?!!

And then I couldn’t be bothered to make a little video for you to watch, so I just kept my mouth shut.

Like this.

tra-la-la

And then I felt immense amounts of guilt. And it started to weigh on me. Like this.

guilt

So the other night I did the only thing I could do. I had the portion of my brain that remembered about the potato video, removed.

The bad news is, it didn’t work. The good news is, now everything smells like potatoes.

Here’s your potato video.

Will They Eat it Mealworms

Will the chickens eat mealworms? A great source of protein for when your chickens are moulting.

If you’re going to Blogpodium this weekend for the blogging conference make sure you come up to me and say hi. I’ll be the one with the world guilt written over my head.

Have a good weekend!

1. Brenda says:

Those were beautiful. I know you must have been proud of yourself. When I was a child, we always had a e huge garden. We children had our jobs and we worked even during canning time. When it came time to harvest the potatoes, my dad was so happy that he asked for the camera. My brother’s job was the potatoes but dad took my picture holding up some of them. Boy was he mad. He talked about it all of his life.

I love your site. Just found it.

2. Marcia says:

So glad to have discovered you thru Daily Eggs site – you’re great! One of those people us girls love to hate – you’re pretty, talented, interesting, clever and funny! YUK! Just kiddin’. Oh. And let’s add thin and in shape to the list! Where are you in Canada? Is there any way to connect to any shows you have worked on/with? You know, the ones that earn you diet coke and previously potato chips – since you are now going to be making your own?
    As a newbie – looking forward to reading and watching more!!
    You go girl –
    A new fan in PA

Hi Marcia – Thanks! I think, LOL. :) I don’t think I have anything airing in the States right now, unless My House Your Money is still airing on HGTV. Even then, you won’t be able to see me … just hear me. I wrote the show and did the voice over work for it. Glad you found my site … welcome to it! ~ karen

3. Glenda says:

Love the flip flop work boots. Gloves? Certainly. Shoes? Don’t be silly.

You’re my kinda gal. And you grow some mean veggies.

Cheers

4. Kim from 3 peanuts says:

No you can tell your Mom you are a film editor too!!! Love the artistic quality and music. Oh and the potatoes.

5. Gale says:

Have you heard of straw bale gardening? It’s supposed to be particularly good for potatoes because you just tip over the bale for harvesting. NO DIGGING!

I have Gale, but for some reason I don’t trust it, LOL. Because I have such little space I don’t want to waste space in case it doesn’t work. :( ~ karen!

6. Jodie Coher says:

I think it’s funny you’re wearing blue latex gloves for potato harvesting… Anyone else notice that??
    Not sure if I should admire and think you’re a genius or run away because you’re creepy…
    Either way, good job!

Let’s go with genius, LOL. I don’t like cloth gloves because I can’t feel anything and my hands got so stained with dirt at a couple of points this summer that I literally had to bleach them. So I bought a box of blue latex gloves. :) ~ karen!

• Meg says:

hahah this comment with the gloves made me remember (how could I forget) a short movie we filmed. well, it was a weird little 48 hour film festival movie…and the required prop was “3 or more potatoes.” So we made a beaded potato curtain. And a potato lamp. Just saying, ideas if you can’t eat them all.

But this really is a fun post. I kind of can’t believe you can just dig them up and then uh, eat them. Then again maybe you can’t, maybe you’re actually telling the viewers they’re poisonous and not to eat them until you brine them or something. I currently have my computer speakers on my…couch… maybe I’ll go fix that. And then research when I can grow potatoes in L.A. Which I am hoping will be right now.

Pffttt. You’re in LA. YOu can probably grow anything anytime at all. I hate you. In the nicest way of course. ~ karen!

7. Maggie V says:

Good for you Karen.

8. Seadee says:

I found two potatoes in a forgotten kitchen corner that were sprouting. Out of curiousity, and inspired by you, I stuck ’em the garden near the corn and ignored them. Rooted around a month ago, and found a couple more potatoes from one of them! Gotta go root around some more.

9. Niki Dee says:

I hope when I have my great potato harvest (fingers crossed for next year)that the weather will be nice enough for flip flops!

10. Reg says:

Oh Karen Karen Karen. Although your harvest is impressive, all I could focus on was you wearing flip flops and using a sharp gardening tool. You wore gloves, but flip flops, yikes. I hope all your toes are intact.

11. marilyn says:

love the music!!try that new grocery store in jackson square for the curry leaves..national. its amazing! potatoes look amazing as well..way to go!

12. Auntiepatch says:

Complete with music, too! But where are the Girls?