The Most Memorable Thing You Ever Ate

A Peanut Buster Parfait from Dairy Queen.

Honestly. Of all the delicious foods I’ve had in restaurants, all the fantastic meals I’ve made (if I do say so myself), a Peanut Buster Parfait  is one of the most memorable things I’ve ever eaten.

It was the first or second year I was in my house and I had spent all day killing myself working outside. I was exhausted and had that feeling of satisfaction when you’ve finished a huge job where you could see results. You know … like vacuum marks on the rug, only on a larger scale.

So instead of making dinner I went to Dairy Queen and got a Peanut Buster Parfait.

It was about 7 o’clock when I got home with it. I took it outside and sat on the front porch eating it. It was a quiet weekend with just the sound of the bugs and a few neighbours cutting their lawn in the distance.

I was genuinely happy at that moment and that Peanut Buster Parfait will go down as one of the best meals I’ve ever had. Chock it up to I was really hungry and really hot and really happy to have gotten a big job done.

Whenever I think of my favourite meals it’s always up at the top.

Then there were the Barnacles when I was in Portugal.  Equally memorable, but in a different way.  Barnacles.  The things you find stuck to the bottom of a boat.  They look like fish penises. They taste like fish penises with a touch of venereal disease.

So today, before we head into the weekend, I ask you …

What is the most memorable thing you ever ate?

Have a good weekend filled with Peanut Buster Parfaits. Or barnacles. Depending on your preferences of course.

1. Heather says:

One of the meals that stands out in my mind is this amazing seafood platter that we had on the beach in Cozumel. There were five of us and they brought out this huge tray of grilled whole fish, shrimp, conch, octopus and chips and salsa. Not to mention the Mexican beer! We just dug in with our hands, awesome!

2. Meg says:

So, because it’s remembered by so many of my friends to this day, the most memorable food I ate was a stolen small piece of pineapple, off my friend’s fork, in 8th grade. They’ve all kept a sharp eye on me at all times, since.

What’s the most memorable to only me? Possibly that cake that I sneezed out my nose, except I don’t think that counts as actually eating it. So maybe it comes to this time we roasted a pig in a pit in the sand. It took all day, into the dark of a gorgeous summer night in southern california: a long time. It was pitch black out by the time we were eating, and I was wearing a headlamp and starving as I literally gnawed on this thing’s face. Biting into amazing fall-off-the-bone pork, up to my elbows in bbq sauce. (we had clearly eaten all the plates while waiting for this thing to be done.) It was so good, I even tried its skin. It was possibly the best thing I’ve ever eaten.

I don’t think I’ve ever been happier.

3. Durian. Have you heard of this fruit? It’s considered a delicacy in SE Asia. I had it in Singapore about fifteen years ago. It has a spiny outer shell and fleshy white meat on the inside. Here’s the thing: not delicious. When I say meat, I’m serious. The inside of this fruit looked, smelled, and tasted like raw, putrid chicken. It was horrible. And you think just once going down would have been enough, right? Oh no…this is the fruit that keeps on giving. I had foul durian burps all night long. Never again. Though it doesn’t stop me from telling people they should try it.

4. Barbie says:

Kirkland (Costco) Salty Caramels! The BEST!

5. Lily says:

I was starving after going to a remote beach on the Greek island of Naxos. We found a taverna and what sounded like a domestic dispute on the background. We had apprehensions, but there were some locals happily eating a tomato dish. When I asked the lady what that was, she said “it imam”. Prior to that I only knew that to be a muslim cleric, and of course because of the language barrier, she told me “imam is made with imam”… so i ordered it. And it was an eggplant dish with tomatoes and garlic and olive oil that was the simplest and best dish to this day. I told our host so, and of course, she went on the kitchen and started yelling to the chef, “Maria! she like your dish it is the best” in what sounded like another domestic dispute. I later researched it, and it was a dish called imam baildi.

6. Lin N says:

A limoncello gelato in the town of Amalfi, italy. The lemon was sooo sweet, rich, tangy and intense. It was absolutely the most blissful taste sensation ever!!! A party in yer mouth with lemon fireworks…..

7. jodie says:

Ahh… Barbeque nachos in downtown Memphis. Sounds weird, but the locals rave about it. And they’re right! Yum!

8. lemur_lass says:

Baked Alaska complete with flambe at a company event. It was heavenly and, sadly, I have never had it again.

9. Tanya says:

A live mountain cricket. I was on a group hike and the instructor caught one to see if anyone was brave enough to eat it. None of the boys would do it so I wanted to see if I could. I HATE bugs and don’t even touch them, let alone eat them. But I discovered the power of the mind (“ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod ahhh just grab it and chew ahhhhh”).

It tasted like pine nuts. Pretty tasty if I ever have to survive in the wild. I still don’t touch bugs.

10. Lisa says:

An apple cider doughnut (fresh and still warm) with a glass of hot apple cider at our local apple orchard breathing in the crisp cool air. It is THE BEST! I do like the whole experience of going and picking apples, hay rides, petting zoo, cute gift shop, and yummy restaurant. You can bring the doughnuts home (and we usually do), but there is just something about the experience. It just tastes better there!

11. Linda says:

on our way to Nova Scotia, stopped in Alma N.B on the Bay of Fundy, went to a lobster fisherman’s shack. We picked out our lobsters, they cooked them for us, threw them in a brown paper bag with a cup of melted butter (sealed cup of course), walked across the bridge to Fundy National Park to the stone beach, sat our butts down and dug in to our sweet buttery meal (using rocks from the beach to smash the hard to get at bits). Best picnic, best lobster, best view!
    Also, best oatcakes EVER in Baddeck on Cape Breton Island.
    YES Karen, you MUST get your butt to Nova Scotia! Breathtaking views, THE most hospitable people, outstanding food and best “kitchen party” music ever!

12. Liesl says:

Seared Tuna Teriyaki served on Wasabi Mash and crispy veg at the Two Oceans Restaurant on the tip of Cape Peninsula (aptly called Cape Point) which is also the southwestern tip of Africa.

13. Lori says:

Oh what comes to my mind first is my grandmothers cinnamon buns, her chocolate cake! And my first cup of coffee. I was in Rota Spain, on my 1st wedding anniversary, boy that was a great cup of coffee!! When I got back to the states and ordered coffee, well let’s just say it has taken years for me to get use to the way we make coffee! Lol

14. Madeleine says:

About 8 years ago, a friend and I went to Baja, Mexico on a vacation We were invited to go and visit some folks who lived on a ranch in the mountains and tour the property. They had this lovely outdoor kitchen and were cooking what looked to be many mouthwatering dishes. The one thing that didn’t look so appetizing was the giant stockpot with a deer head, antlers and all, sticking out of it.
    The back story here is that both of us at the time were vegetarians (no longer true) and I personally hadn’t eaten meat in about 13 years at that point. Most of what was cooking was veggie-friendly things like beans, rice, vegetable dishes, etc. When they offered us some food, we said yes because a) be polite to hosts and b) delicious homemade Mexican food-nomnomnnom. What we got and didn’t expect, was c) only a giant bowl of deer gristle stew with pieces of marrow, bones and cartilage floating around in it. We choked down as much of it as we could possibly eat and secretly fed the gory bits to the puppies under the table. That was a very memorable meal.

15. Kathy says:

I was a live-in child care helper when I was in college, and the parents invited me to join a dinner party…..and after setting the table I was asked to go to a local bakery to retrieve the cake. OMG, the cake! It had layers of crunchy meringue between the layers of cake and I imagine ganache and well, I will NEVER forget the sublime experience of the rich “frosting” and the crunchy meringue. I have tried for decades to reproduce, and haunted that bakery for some time to get another one, but they claimed ignorance of that long-forgotten dessert

16. Ann says:

Lobster thermadore in a town about 30 miles away from where I live (in the rural boondocks of California) Every time we went to this restaurant it was what I ordered…silky, chunks of lobster, thrown under the broiler at the end…delish

17. kelliblue says:

On the more simple end of things is a fabulous salad that was made made at an Italian restaurant I used to work at years ago…so simple, and so luscious: butter lettuce, chunks of lobster meat, capers, peas, sliced hearts of palm, drizzled with nothing more than olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Sublime.

On the other end of the spectrum spicy Cajun! Back when i lived in Wisc., a former beau and i DROVE (ugh) down to New Orleans in his little VW Rabbit. He introduced me to the food of Nawlins: beignets & chicory coffee, spicy ‘mudbugs’ (crawfish) spread out over a table covered with newspaper, Po’ Boys, muffalettas, grits, and cannolli. I thought I’d died and gone to food heaven. We pretty much ate our way thru our week long vacation, oink. After we drove back home (in a BLIZZARD, mind you), we both had such horrible food withdrawals, we searched high and low for miles around to find the ingredients to make the food we had come to love…none of which anyone in Cheesehead land had ever heard of, let alone stocked in the grocery stores. Thankfully I now live in an area where LA is our next door neighbor and Cajun/Creole food is not nearly as foreign as it once was. :)

• Pati says:

I am FROM Louisiana but lived in N.C. for 9 VERY LONG years and THOROUGHLY missed the food !!!! I now live BACK in Louisiana and look forward to mudbug season with breathless anticipation ! :o)))))

18. Alisha says:

Oy! I’ve been through some comments and it made me nostalgic for a great little chinese place that I used to live by in Victoria BC. The owner and his wife quit their jobs to open their dream Chinese food restaurant. Fresh ingredients, all made to order, very little oil as he used water to cook as much as possible. Man, their food was the BEST Chinese food I’ve ever had. Fresh and delicious. Sadly, they’re now closed and we live in Vancouver with a Chinese restaurant on every street corner and nothing has come even close to comparing.

19. Alisha says:

Tied between Whipped Ricotta with Olive Oil and Lemon and fresh bread to dip OR a Fresh Lemon Cheesecake with a Graham Wafer crust. Both almost killed me they were so heavenly.

20. Laura Bee says:

Stirring up some great memories, Nana’s kitchen, elderberry pie & English scones with little lumps of brown sugar in them! She taught me all about baking.
    Fresh caught & fried catfish, fiddleheads, wild leeks – my sister & I would go into the bush with Duddy to get a few for dinner. Puffballs in the fall (hoping to find some this weekend if I’m lucky) Rabbit stew – I’ll never forget I found the pellet in my bowl. My Duddy had shot it. Foraged and caught things, plus all the goodness from their garden – peas & ground cherries eaten right there. Being sent to pick blackberries & coming back a few handfuls short. All those foods still elicit memories. And there are so many more! But the most memorable thing ever – and it might just be because I have never liked them before – would have to be (at least)a half a pot of mussels. My last day of my 1st trip to Newfoundland in ’98 or ’99 and two of the b’yes found out I had not been out in a boat yet. Well, they took me out to have a ride around the bay & find some mussels while we were at it. I was able to catch up a few & they proceeded to find a nice little spot to boil them up in the sea water on a little Coleman stove. I swear, I have never been able to eat them before but those were the sweetest, saltiest, juiciest tender mussel morsels I’d ever had. Made a bit of a spectacle of myself, thank you Rex & Morrisey! Fabulous end to my trip. Fell in love with mussels that day, but haven’t ever loved them the same since.

21. Reg says:

This was months and months ago. It was my dear sis-in-laws birthday and I wanted to treat her to nice lunch. She is a confirmed vegan and it is hard to find places that serve strictly vegan food in my town. I like my veggies with meat on the side but what the heck, it was her birthday. She suggested this small counter style cafe at a yoga studio. ‘K. I knew I was in for an experience when all these yoga enthusiasts were roaming around, all wearing LuluLemon…hmmm. Anyway, sis tells me “You MUST try their version of poutine”. I brightened, cuz I love poutine. The vegan poutine came in a strangely shaped bowl, uhoh, I was skeptical but I tried to muster some enthusiasm. It turned out to be something made with Hickema sticks in the shape of fries, some sort of sprouts, other stuff I couldn’t identify and a gawd awful
    sauce on top. It was horrible and NOT poutine. At least sis enjoyed hers.
    Can’t wear LuluLemon to this day though.

• Alisha says:

Ew! Was the jicama soft or crunchy? I like jicama but would shy away from eating it in poutine. Potatoes and Yams are vegan after all. If it’s not broken, don’t fix it!

• Reg says:

Thanks for the correct spelling of jicama. It was crunchy and I don’t think I would mind it as a veggie side, but not an ersatz poutine. Blech!

22. This summer I fell in Love with “Karma’s” Buttered Chicken dish. It’s a little Thai restaurant on a trendy little street in downtown Peterborough. (Hunter St.) His restaurant was featured on HGTV restaurant makeover before.
    Anyhow, it was so good, that while eating it, I would be thinking, when can I come back and eat this again…..never had this happen before. And to make it worse, while rubbing my hubby’s back in bed, I started moaning and hubby thought I was into him, and I started laughing hysterically b/c I was thinking of Buttered Chicken!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO

You should go Karen with the fella next time in Peterborough.

Cindy.

23. Dana says:

Musk-flavoured lifesavers. I bought them in Fiji when I was a teen. They are as disgusting as they sound. I think I still have half a pack!

24. I will be going to Dairy Queen this weekend, getting the Peanut buster parfait, sitting on my porch and refreshing my taste buds too, and I agree with you, might be the best thing ever!!!!! thanks for reminding me!

25. candace says:

My best friend and I were in Switzerland with her parents when we were in high school, and were really craving mexican food (which did not exist there) so we bought the fixings for bean and cheese burritos…except I couldn’t read the Swiss can labels, and ended up with kidney beans instead of pintos. I was too stubborn to give up, so I made (and ate) a refried kidney bean burrito which was one of the grossest meals of my life. Funny to think of now though!

26. Vere says:

One of the most memorable meals I had was the first time I met my in-laws and they served ravioli al burro e salvia (butter and sage ravioli) at the time I had a tenous grasp of the italian language and I remembered burro means donkey in spanish so I ate that meal thinking I was eating donkey meat, just awful! Other memorable meal was the first time I ate arancini (fried rice balls) I was hooked on them and gained like 10 pounds in a month!

27. Janet says:

Marrion Berry Cobbler (ala mode) from Kyllos Restaurant, Lincoln City, Oregon…first tasted it when my hubby and I went for an anniversary weekend to the OR coast..yes, it was one of those memorable romantic times…but lets face it….the coast…it’s all about the food. I enjoy it everytime we go back there, romance or not.

28. Brianne says:

Sea urchin in a tiny fishing village in Japan. We’d just arrived on a two-week summer exchange and we were exhausted from the 24+ hour travel. They were passing around the sea urchin with a tiny gold spoon and everybody took a small bite. It was the first time I’d ever eaten anything so raw and fresh.

29. Langela says:

MMMMMM……Fish penis.

Is that the disturbing photo of the window to the right of my comment that says ” more stuff you’ll like. Watcha eatin?”

30. Evalyn says:

I have to stand up for the Peanut Buster Parfait. I don’t remember the occasion, but I do remember the first taste, the warm fudge, the salty peanuts, the sweet cold ice cream. Oh, my goodness.

Amanda: now I have to find out how to make the meringue the Irish way. Crunchy topping may be the only way to improve lemon meringue pie.

31. Rondina says:

My son-in-law’s beef tenderloin on Christmas Day 2009 simply melted in my mouth. We have a mini-Iron Chef contest every year. I pick one ingredient and he builds a meal around it. The year he made creme brulee with port (the chosen ingredient) ties with the tenderloin. He’s a keeper.

32. Scouty says:

Oh, after reading these comments, it brought back memories from eating at my grandmothers.
    There was always a layered chocolate cake in the cupboard – never in the fridge, or homemade donuts. But the best was having a bowl of vanilla ice cream and a peanut butter sandwich on white bread before bedtime. I still crave that when I am looking for comfort food. Good memories.
    Thanks!

33. Jenifer says:

At Disney World with my sister at one of the Hawaiian places. Creme Brulee with dark chocolate at the bottom, a perfect sugar crust, and bananas on top. Yummy McYummersons!

34. Trissi V. says:

A bacon green chili cheeseburger I had after my first outdoor climbing experience in the Jemez, right then and there it was the best burger I have ever had. Went back to the same place…never quite as good as that day.

35. Candice Morrison says:

My most memorable was a side dish that all we could come up with as a name was meaty pieces. It was like they cubed up small pieces of meat and pickled it and then stacked it 6inches high in a tower on the side of the plate. Who cares about the venison medallions or quail; the meaty pieces were the bomb!

36. Kat says:

There was a traditional Chinese restaurant down the road from where I lived as a kid. They had a dessert I loved and have never found since. It was essentially a deep fried custard in the shape of a Twinkie, sprinkled with rose petal ashes.
    I’d love to learn to make it.

37. Oh boy, THE best was a steak in Calgary at Caesar’s
    (Willow Park location – was told it is better than the one downtown). Went to visit family there, was told by my weekend cowboy boss to go there. It was the best advice ever. Their steak is totally the reason for getting born.

Also at another Calgary restaurant whose name is long forgotten, I ordered a blackberry daiquiri. Yikes this would be what Gods drink! No one could believe how good it was. Don’t remember much more from that night. ;-)

38. Jasmine says:

So many memorable foods could be on the list;my grandpa’s brine pickles, fresh dungeness crab straight off the boat, melt-in-your-mouth butter fish in Maui, sardines bbq’d on the dock in Portugal, Creme Glace (ice cream, merangue & chocolate sauce)but the thing that sticks out right now is fresh raw oysters! I never had the guts to even try them-let’s be honest, they look like lugies. But I was at a jazz and oyster party, they were cold and fresh and I put on my big-girl panties and went for it! I ate 5 of them that day-I feel like a real grown-up now.

39. gloria says:

Ooh, thought of another one. (I’m old and my memory is slower that most of y’alls.) I was 17 years old. Some burger joint. Before showering. After coming off a week on the Appalachian Trail. Barely even tasted it. Scarfed it down and went back for more. Laughing and burping and stuffing our mouths, trail mates together.

40. Kim from Milwaukee says:

That’s it…Peanut Buster Parfait for dinner tonight…I’ve been resisting the urge.

Too many great food memories…
    1) buttery danish cheese in Copenhagen
    2) fish n brewis in St John’s Nfld…yum!
    3) blood sausage in Sweden, with sugar on top
    4) yucky oysters in Monterey Bay
    5) cheese grits in Georgia
    6) and the worst…brussel sprouts as a kid. Still trying to like them.

Kim – Don’t bother trying to like brussels sprouts. And don’t let ANYONE tell you that you’re just cooking them wrong. You don’t like them, will never like them and don’t HAVE to like them. (not that I’m talking from experience or anything) ~ k!

41. danny says:

My first taste of fresh whipped cream when I was about 5 years old straight from the cow out in the country near Stephenville, Texas.

42. I get the peanut buster parfait,it’s my favorite too. For me though it’s clams and linguine when I was about 18 at a great italian restaurant,oh and then of course there was the time I tried lobster for the first time have never had it since!

43. Shirley says:

A pickled baby squid at a business banquet in Hong Kong. I swallowed it so fast I have no idea what it tasted like.

44. Over twenty years ago I had my first taste of an heirloom tomato.

Then there was the fantastic porkchop in Prague over 12 years ago and coming in third a lovely brownie with fresh raspberry sauce in Oregon while dating the man I have now been with for 15 years.

Sigh. Good food.

PBP are my favorite at DQ too. :)

45. ruth says:

First taste of Pad Thai at some hole in the wall place in Toronto. Never been duplicated.

46. Marion says:

Kimchi Jigae! A Korean soup made with kimchi and other yummy stuff that’s still cooking in a stone bowl when they bring it to you. My sister-in-law is half Korean, and for her birthday/New Years one year we all went to her favorite Korean restaurant in Nashville. (I’m talking, bad side of town, hole in the wall kind of place where you think you’re going to get jumped just walking from your car to the restaurant – aren’t those always the best places?!). I thought I had died and gone to heaven when they brought the food to the table!

47. Barb says:

In Florida at the Beach House on Anna Maria Island. I went with my 5 best friends to celebrate our 50th birthdays. I ordered the Warm Maple Leaf Duckling Salad with Arugula & Watercress.(Warmed with a cognac, citrus-bacon vinaigrette. With apples, red onions, mangos and candied walnuts). This description is from their menu but I recall the bacon vinagrette was actually half a pound of actual smokey bacon. I can still taste it to this day!
    Oh yes, and I followed that with Rack of Domestic Lamb. (Simply the world’s best, fresh, domestic lamb from Colorado. Herb-rubbed, pan-seared and oven-roasted. Finished with a port, rosemary demi-glace).
    A delightful, low cal, light meal enjoyed with a GALLON of wine!

48. Cheryl in Wisconsin says:

I’m trying to tell you about my first authentic Mexican restaurant experience – but there is some horrifying photo keeps pushing it’s way over from the right side of the screen! Is that barnacles???

Anyway, I flew out to L.A. alone when I was 22 to see if I’d like living there, and had a crab meat & avocado enchilada with monterey jack cheese at a charming little Mexican place. The taste still haunts me (in a good way) today. Yum.

49. Kitten Caboodle says:

The Thai prawns at Oystercatchers in Tampa Bay, FL.

A similar experience in that it was a desperately long, hot, humid day. I went back to my hotel to shower and change and was directed to traverse a wooden walkway through a dense marsh which dropped me right at the driveway of the restaurant. They have floor to ceiling windows overlooking the bay and it was just sunset. I had never been so cool and dry and comfortable. This was early in my career and I was traveling by myself and, for the first time, dining alone didn’t bother me (and now I actually enjoy it). This was also before I became more of a cook/foodie so I sadly don’t recall every aspect of the preparation but I still remember how well the components of this dish complemented one another.

It consisted of 4 or 5 fried (likely tempura) prawns that had been stuffed with a dollop of “wasabi mouselline” (this I remember vividly from the menu) and served upright nestled against a stack of crispy bean threads (which was maybe over a jasmine rice?) and then drizzled with two different sauces. One was a peanut sauce and I don’t recall the components of the other but it was dark – spicier and maybe sweet. I wanted another plate as soon as I was finished.

I ordered it every time I traveled to Tampa and, if I was very lucky, on consecutive nights. Sadly, it hasn’t been on the menu in years despite the server telling me that they could never take it off due to its popularity.