The Myers Briggs Personality Test. Have you taken it?

I bet you think I’m extroverted.  That’s a pretty reasonable assumption to make based on the fact that I’ve taken you along with me to my mammogram.  An introvert probably wouldn’t do that.

Only I did.  And I am.  Honestly.

I’m not shy, I’m not socially awkward or maladjusted, I’m just a loner.  Some people thrive on crowds and parties and wearing lampshades on their heads.  I thrive on solitude and often need a day of recuperating after an especially social outing like buying gum.

Admittedly I’m just a borderline introvert which is why I I’m not uncomfortable in social situations or afraid of them … I just find them tiring.

How do I know this about myself?  Well I’m pretty astute.  Plus I took the famed Myers Briggs personality test a few weeks ago and it indeed confirmed everything I already knew about myself.

The Myers Briggs test is a personality test that was developed by a woman in the 1940s based on research done by Carl Jung in the 1920’s.  It breaks everyone down into 1 of 16 different personality types based on whether they are Extroverted or Introverted, Sensory or INtuitive,  Thinking or Feeling, and Judging or Perceiving.

It’s the most popular personality test in the world and it’s also one of the most criticized. Not unlike the Seinfeld finale.

I turned out to be an “INTJ”.  Which means I’m an Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking and Judging kind of person. Which makes perfect sense because when I first heard about this test my first instinct was to judge it.  I’m not a huge fan of this kind of nutshelling.  But then it was accurate and I didn’t know what to do. I mean I’d already judged the way a judgey judger would.   I’ll Intuitively Think about what to do with this information while being Introverted one night.

No personality type is deemed any better than any other type in the test.  They’re just different.  “INTJs” (me) for example tend to be interested, innovative, single-minded in concentration, unimpressed with authority and naturally high achievers.  On the other hand an “ENFP” is charming and enthusiastic, people oriented, knows everyone and everything that’s going on and will b able to do almost anything that he or she wants.  See?  Not better.  Just different.

Only obviously anyone who is an INTJ is better.

Wanna know what you are?  This sample Myers Briggs test only takes a few minutes to do.  Go do it then in the comment section tell us what you are and if you think it’s true!

I really did find mine to be a fairly accurate representation of me.

Curious about famous people?  Of course you are because we’re all interested in what famous people are really like for some bizarre reason. Actually it isn’t bizarre at all, I know exactly why. It’s because we either want to know that they’re exactly  like us or nothing at all like us, depending on what famous person we’re talking about.

This site has a great long list of all the different personality types and famous people they attribute them to. I’m linking to the INTJ page, but just look in the left hand column for your type and click on that.

Since we know I’m an INTJ, here are a few others in this world who were as well.

Sir Isaac Newton

Ted Kaczynski

The Unibomber

ted-kaczynski

Jay Z

General all around mogul

jay-z

I was pretty excited about my list of INTJ celebrities until I couldn’t find David Letterman on it. Turns out he was on the ENTJ list.  Which no way in hell is true.  David Letterman is not an extrovert, he’s a classic introvert so now I’m back to questioning the validity of this test.

Not that I’m one to judge.  But I am.

Did you take the test?  Do you know what you are?

Lay it on me.

[shareaholic app=”share_buttons” id=”5342563″]

1. Jennie Lee says:

I got INFJ, and I consider it pretty accurate, although I disagree with the part that says I ignore facts and don’t pay attention to details. For gosh sakes, I have a science degree and do tiny engraving and jewelry-making! Anyway, I hope someone will tell me: where did you all get lists of other people who share your profile, and where did you find out where you fall an a continuum (“marginal”, “smack in the middle”, etc.)? I didn’t see either of those features, and would like to. Thanks!

Hi Jennie Lee. If you click on “This site has a great long list”, on my post just before I show you the photos of everyone I am like you’ll be directed to a site with a list of people like you. ๐Ÿ™‚ Well … presumably like you. ~ karen!

• Jennie Lee says:

I still didn’t find the part where people found out where they fell, comparatively, on one particular aspect, like “judging”, but I can make do, especially when I find myself connected (even tenuously!) with: Plato, Gandhi, Thomas Jefferson, George Harrison, Cate Blanchette, Edward Norton, Leonard Cohen, and Agatha Christie, all of whom are idols of mine, in their diverse ways. Now, if I can just forget about the dictators and mass murderers, I’ll be happier. I guess this shows how feeling and judging can be dangerous if what you’re feeling is hate.

• Amber says:

Finally got my result, INFJ: weird there are so many of us here, but it really fits me
          I didn’t like the detail thing either, and wrote to Pamela Trunk about it. Here’s what I said:

One point (as a repeat INFJ-type) that you might want to reconsider is describing โ€œdetail oriented workโ€ as a stressor: for me, and I suspect for others like me, details are always an interconnected part of the whole and so always relevant and interesting. When a project is important to me every aspect is important, whether it is minute or huge.
          The stress comes when one factor is made out to be the only one of importance, or is used to determine conclusions independent of the context of the whole. For example, using a personal stance on abortion to determine foreign policy. I find this kind of exclusionary thinking to be very stressful regardless of my opinion.

She wrote back saying she liked this, and would look into a new description or INFJs ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Lifesart says:

I’m with you, Karen, INTJ. Retiring soon and can’t wait to find a place in the wilds of Virginia where I can hide away from everyone except the postal service.

3. Meghan says:

ISFJ – through and through. Thought I used to be something different – but I was MUCH younger when I initially took the test (full length). This new designation seems to fit me like a glove.
    ‘It is not uncommon for ISFJs to carry the sins of the world on their shoulders. They easily accept the blame for malfunctions and mistakes.’ These two sentences sealed the deal for me for sure.

4. Jeannie says:

INFP Interesting collection of folks that I share this with.

5. Janice says:

ISTJ – sounds about right!

6. Sheri says:

ISTP – Independent, inscrutable, and self-contained, ISTPs will be difficult to get to know, as they will reveal only what they choose to reveal when they choose to reveal it.

Yup, that is me. So much of this was me to a T. I had never taken a test like this before and I like the Areas of Growth as I time and time again know this is where I need to improve. Thanks for this, it was very insightful.

7. mickey says:

Guessed that I was ISFP after taking the test and before I received the results.
    Yep….that’s me.

8. Diana says:

my german Testresults…

a few features:
    adventurous, chaotic, directly , to experiment, sociable, imaginative , easy, self-confident , independent, unconventional, playful, daring

9. Heather says:

ENFJ

ENFJs have a global attitude toward most situations, and they prefer to deal with abstractions. For them, ideas, dreams, and aspirations are as real as reality itself.

10. Aspasia says:

Actually, I didn’t find this test particularly accurate, but I have taken other tests (not that I can remember which ones) and am an INFP.

On Pinterest I recently came across a super simplified version of the test that seems surprisingly accurate. You pick one from each pair to get your results: Annoying (E) or Moody (I); Superficial (S) or Know Ir All (N); Emo (F) or Cold (T); and Stressed (J) or Hippie (P).

So as a Moody, Know it All, Emo, Hippie, I’m an INFP ๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t know whether these tests are really that helpful in everyday life, but realizing I’m an introvert and what that means has made a huge difference (I’m not a freak for hating parties!)

11. Sandy says:

I am a ISFJ – Introverted Sensing Feeling Judging person. I would say this is an accurate description.

12. Betty says:

INTP. not sure what the P stands for but what an interesting test.

13. susanlu says:

INTJ. Samesies.

14. Irene says:

I couldn’t finish the test, and struggled to answer the bits I did do.
    My personality changed radically after being broken emotionally, 7 years ago, by someone I loved dearly, and now I still can’t figure out who I am.
    I used to be the loud, laughing, centre of the room woman who befriended everyone, and all the traits that corresponds with that warm, open armed person.
    Now, I hide, and can’t figure out who to be.
    It feels like he killed her.
    Sorry. Bummer I know, but I can’t be the only one who struggles with answers to questions like these.

• Bonnie says:

Irene,

It made me so sad to read your post. Please don’t let that person who hurt you so badly kill off the person you want to be. That doesn’t have to be who you were, or who you are, but who YOU want to be. It seems that you have given a person totally unworthy of it too much control over your life. I know it is easier said than done, but you are obviously a person who cares deeply and is worthwhile. So, please, give some thought to who you want to be, and take little steps every day toward that. I feel so trite saying these things, but I wanted to reach out to you, the real you, whoever you decide to be.

• Irene says:

Oh Bonnie, thank you.

I’m sorry I put such a damper on a fun post. It just really struck me hard when I couldn’t answer so many of the questions, because I had the ‘what old me would do’ response at the ready instantly, and then realised that those responses no longer applied, and really and quite honestly had no new responses.

You are so right; I handed this person all my worth, everything I was, all my trust, and when it was thrown away like so much trash, that’s what I became. Trash.

I posted because I wanted to let others in my position know that they are not alone.
        It’s ok. I’m still pretty reclusive, but I’ve worked out that as long as I have one more thing to create, I feel not quite useless. I get panicky if I can’t find something to make! ๐Ÿ™‚
        Doing something creative as often as possible is slowly giving me back a sense of worthiness, and I’d like anyone feeling the same way as I have been to know that being creative, as well as being useful and helpful to people who need it, gives you reason to be.
        That, and of course the love from the people who still stick by you, no matter how badly you have messed things up, even to the extent that you may have hurt them deeply by your actions too.
        So! It’s not all bad. It may have taken WAY longer than is normal, but the journey continues.

Again, thank you, and thank you Karen too for writing to me. You guys make the world a far better place. ๐Ÿ™‚
        I wish you joy. <3

15. Manisha says:

I am ENFP and proud of it! I took it with three other women that I worked with at the time. All three were the same type but I can’t remember what it is right now. I thought we would be using the results as a way to work better together. Later I found out they wanted to use the results to figure out how to control me. But I am ENFP and (as per the results page) “Strongly linked to the Histrionic personality and Somewhat linked to the Narcissistic, Hypomaniac and Borderline personalities.” I’m also a Gemini (lethal combination). Their plan didn’t work so well. I left that job 6 months later carrying away my ENFP traits to do much better things in this world.

16. Coleen Clark says:

The MBTI is not a “test”. It is a questionnaire designed to sort personality characteristics into categories that reflect our interactions and ways of doing things, etc. To call it a test is to i ply there is a better or best type.
    I am an INFJ and am a purist about the MBTI. It changed my life when I first took it in 1985 to the point that I took the training in 1986.

17. Lori says:

My type (ISFP) felt very right as I read it, especially the longer description of the type that is on the celebrity site.
    On a side note, I’ve been contemplating taking your upcoming course, Karen, about getting stuff done. Other than the Introvert part that we share, we are on “opposite” sides for all the other qualities. Think this might just push me over to take the course…never hurts to try to encorporate the best qualities of others too, right? ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Laurie says:

I’m an ISFJ, which is almost accurate except I’m not shy or quiet. Definitely a “feelings” sort of person, though, and the write-up under the “work” area was pretty much dead-on. Except, again, in being quiet. I’m not quiet. I have a loud laugh and tend to act goofy to lighten the moment, even though I’m in my late-thirties. Can’t apologize for that–I hope I still act goofy when I’m eighty! ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Jani says:

ISF-J.

Noticed there aren’t a lot of us on here with that! Does that mean we are unique or we just stink!

20. Wendy W says:

INTJ, I knew it before I even took the test. We just did a DISC analysis required for work, it’s another scarily accurate personality test.

21. Nancy R says:

I’m an ISFJ – pretty much true – I like my time alone; however, when I’m in a social situation I love meeting new people – but then need to recover for a day or 2 afterwards (like you Karen!)

Thanks Karen for this post – I have a few neighbours whose children are about to graduate high school and one of them is very anxious about what to study. I sent her a link about True Colours and now I’m going to send her this website to help her decide what career might be best based on her personality. You’re the best!

It was also fun to see what other responders had the same results as me. I couldn’t find any and then I found 2 others that are ISFJ! Yeah!!

22. judy says:

INTP But Since I’m ADD and extremely frustrated by the dichotomy of desiring a calm organized environment and logical thinking resulting in logical outcomes and the scatter brained confusion I very often find myself in through my own distracted thinking. I may fall more into Alice in Coo Coo land territory
    Thank Goodness for a sense of humor that senses the absurdity of trying to absolutely control much of anything. I must say substituting Chickens outside for Humans inside makes it simpler to keep the S**T outside……………….where it belongs! But I do love people just in small doses……………….

23. Kimberly M says:

I got ISFJ.. pretty darn spot on. My famous people are awesome! Mother Teresa! And a ton of famous military leaders and presidents… Marcus Aurelius and Rosa Parks.. All people I’d like to hang with haha. Annnnd then a couple of Nazi leaders and a dictator… hahaha.. this is great.

24. Mary from Barrie says:

INTJ. Years ago, I took this and was INFP – hmm. I’m definitely judgier now, hahaha. And on the fence between F and T. For others who aren’t seeing the results in your email – check your junk folder (that’s where mine went). As part of a self-employment course, we took a test that used colours to group the results. Orange was extroverts/adventure seekers, Blue was caring/feeling/helping, Gold was analytical, and Green was knowledge seekers/lifelong learners. It really helped to clarify whether we all had the right personality fit for the businesses we wanted to set up. Finding out I was Green was an “aha” moment. While I empathize/sympathize with others, I don’t jump in to help like a Blue person does. It made me stop beating myself up for not being that way and confirmed for me that running a daycare or doing any kind of nursing was not a good fit for me.

25. Lin N says:

I have done the Meyers-Briggs twice, eight years apart. The results were the same, I am INTF or INTP if I remember correctly. In any case I am certainly the introvert. Like you I do not get energy from being in a crowd of people or a big social gathering and it takes a day of ‘quiet’ to recover. The second time I did the M-B the facilitator showed movies about the different personality traits. They were very good. The amusing thing about the movie that was shown for my result was a dad talking to his teenage daughter about planning for her future, college, what was she going to be when she grew up, etc., and his daughter going out the door and saying ‘ya dad, later’….I didn’t know what I wanted to be when I grew up back then and I am still not sure at 60+

26. Barbie says:

ESFJ………so if I were to say “yes, this is me”…..then I would have to agree that I am
    “A logical approach for ESFJs is equated with being cold and harsh, thus negating being helpful, which is at the core of the ESFJ being.” Which is just a nice way of saying I’m a bitch! ๐Ÿ™ I have to believe this is not true of me, otherwise ….well…..then I would have to “change” which is another part of my personality that supposedly I am not good at “change”….ESFJ’s DO NOT LIKE CHANGE! OMG! SOMEONE SHOOT ME! LOLOL

27. Dan says:

An INTJ male reader in Niagara.

28. Stacey says:

INTJ/INTP scored the same for both so I am judgey and perceiving but scored low in both areas. I take that to mean I just do neither.

29. Maureen says:

ISTJ – Pretty spot on. It certainly explains why I want nothing to do with overly dramatic people, they just drain me. I don’t think I’m quite as “Spock-ish” as it implies, I may not “get” peoples emotions, but I do care if they are upset. I’m definitely an ” is what it is” type person.

30. Mary Werner says:

INFP but I don’t think it is dead on. It said I should strengthen my skills at the details – which is totally not correct. I live in the details, the minutia, love odd facts and remember them for no apparent reason. My work was in finance over a school system which was very much about people, but my work (which I loved) was in numbers that would serve those people, not dealing directly with them. Don’ t care about dealing directly with people. I Since I did the whole process with no one looking over what I did, I got bogged in a swamp of details and loved it. The test indicated I loved a big project being able to handle the whole thing from start to finish and I did when I worked and still do now in my after-life, but it was and is all about the details which the test missed completely. So, my impression is that the quick test was not long enough to get really accurate results, just a broad overall impression which it did do well. But working with people and not details? Not so much!

31. Julia says:

ISFJ – parts of it are accurate – apart from the memory and being a stickler for facts and figures – I think my answers and results are influenced by current situations. I’ll take the test again another day and see how the results compare. I hate these kinds of tests as the questions rarely illicit a firm yes or no – I’m definitely more of an ‘it depends’ type – so that doesn’t really fall into any of the categories. Says a lot about me ๐Ÿ™‚

32. Nat says:

Another INTJ here. I’m shocked to find so many of us here. As LeeAnn (earlier comment) and Google said, we’re only 0.07 percent of the female population. Karen, you’ve cornered the INTJ female blog readers market!

33. Debbie says:

I got through about 17 questions and had to stop. I do not fall into a yes or no category on many of the questions and trying to pin myself into a box is not my style. I wonder what that makes me?

34. Ellen says:

I’m an INFP- have known for years & it’s dead on. Finding out I was an introvert explained (& continues to explain) soooo much.

35. Jeanie burch says:

ISTJ -pretty accurate and nice to see I’m not the only one.

36. marilyn says:

esfj…pretty true …what ham fart?

37. Ella says:

INFJ. I always get INFJ, including with this test! It’s pretty much right on!

38. Rebecca says:

I’m INTJ. I think this is really spot on. All of it is me.

39. Ev Wilcox says:

INTJ-No surprise here! Always have been, always will be! wish I had more “fun” aspects in me, but they are not there. Obviously, INTJ’s rule, right?

40. Jen says:

I got ISFJ with the Quistic test which was a shocker because I’ve taken the MBTI many times and it’s always told me I was an ENFJ! Weird!

41. ENFJ and I am in some really good company

42. Jane says:

ENFJ….sounds pretty accurate!

43. jainegayer says:

I had to take the Myers-Briggs in ’93 for a graduate course. I am an ISFP and it was right on. It was amazing to read a description of myself that was so accurate and all my faults or supposed weaknesses were not so bad after all. I still have the test and when I have started a project and haven’t finished it, I reread the test and feel better knowing that eventually I will finish the project. Took me 3 years to lay vinyl tile in my basement but I got it done.

44. Rondina says:

E(17) S (15) F (2) P (27)

Mine was administered to me by a professional years ago. The F/T part manifests itself in being able to see both sides of any argument or decision. As a professional genealogist, I write proof summaries/arguments for a living. A good fit. I’m very much like you on the extrovert part. I’m very social, but I have to have a goodly amount time spent alone. Happiest when sitting in the dirt working on the garden.

45. STELLA says:

INFJ, me Mother Theresa and Hitler!

46. Diane says:

I’m an ENFJ. I was okay with that until I saw that Joe Biden and Michael Moore were on the list as well! I think I need to retake the test.

47. Susan says:

I’m INTJ as well, but think I lean more towards the practical than the theoretical. A couple of the questions were a little ambiguous…one was actually a statement and I wasn’t sure how to answer it. Yes, the statement is true? Or no, the statement is true but I don’t think that way? So my results could be a little skewed by overthinking the questions. Another thing about tests like this is that you are obviously going to answer some of them “yes” whether it’s true or not. Are you empathetic? No, I’m a cold-hearted people-hating bitch. For some reason, people seem to think the best of themselves. ๐Ÿ™‚
    BTW, I read a definition of introverts and extroverts somewhere that was a “whoa!” moment. I’ve always thought I was an introvert but couldn’t see how it was true. I have always dealt with the public in some way and love it. Right now, I own a convenience store and I’m in my glory socializing with the customers. But if they invade the sanctuary of my home, I am incredibly peeved.
    The gist of the article was that both extroverts and introverts can be people lovers. The difference is that an extrovert is feeding off the energy of other people. An introvert is feeding their energy to other people. So although they can both enjoy a party, the extrovert will be still be energized at the end of the evening and the introvert can’t wait to get home because they need solitude and quiet to recharge their batteries.
    It made so much sense and explained a lot to me, so I hope I haven’t mangled the meaning by rephrasing.

48. Su says:

ISFJ – for the most part… but I’m not that organized…or that fatalistic…. introverted, sort of, but when I do go to a party or out to socialize I can turn it on and have a great time….

• Langela says:

Finally! Someone else that’s ISFJ. Doesn’t seem to be too common on here. It was mostly right for me too, but off on just a few things. I’m not quiet or gentle or good with money. Maybe I just appear that way to others because I’m busy judging them before I talk to them. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Su says:

you judge people too before you talk to them???? finally someone else who admits it! whenever I’m in the airport waiting, I’ll make up stories about people and what they are doing and who they are to amuse myself, based purely on appearance ๐Ÿ™‚

• Staci says:

ISFJ here too! I could sit in an airport all day and watch people – as well as come up with great stories about their lives, based solely on their demeanor and appearance. ๐Ÿ™‚

I don’t think all of the test is applicable to me though – I am not a “quiet” person. I am loyal and dedicated and I do like to be recognized – financially – not a “hey here is a stupid plaque for your desk” kind of recognition. Be quiet and give me a raise that no one else knows about thankyouverymuch.

I do agree that I can remember all the details of just about any situation – especially if someone slighted me. And I will sit back and let you dig your hole in silence – until I’m done being quiet. Then? Whoa boy, watch out, because I will make you feel an inch tall when I’m done ripping you a new asshole. And I don’t forgive and forget either. ๐Ÿ™‚

I also have problems with doing things “because I said so” or “that’s how it’s always been done” when I’m at work. I am going to be the first to ask why. WHY are you doing it that way?!! Just because Sally did it that way for 20 years doesn’t mean it’s the best, or even the right way! Sally could be dumb! LOL!

I’m a terrible person…clearly. ๐Ÿ™‚

49. Donna says:

I took the test, did not submit it–where does it go. who scores it, who are we giving info about yourself to ?? Privacy anyone ??

It’s just automatically scored by an online program Donna. No one gets any of your information. And even if they did it’s pretty innocuous information. Plus you don’t give your name when you take the test. So you don’t need to worry. ~ karen!

50. ~JackieVB says:

INFJ and INTJ here – I agree with both actually – it just depends on the day.