The World’s Greatest Windex Dispenser

This is the most ridiculous DIY in the world. And you know you want one.

I find a bizarre kind of comfort in the aisles of the grocery store. Pushing my clacking cart with Adele softly singing from overhead. I always feel a certain toe tingling excitement when I go down the cleaning products aisle. It always smells good and they have entire shelves filled with candles, and room spray and pretty things you plug into the wall to make your kitchen smell like vanilla or your laundry room like lavender.

I never buy those things.

Ever.

I look at them. I smell them. I pick them up and hold them, hovering my hand over my cart … and then I put them back on the shelf.

I’m pretty much the same way with new cleaning gadgets. I must get it from my mother, who still says the Swiffer is a passing fad and what the hell are we all going to do with those Swiffer handles when we can’t buy the pads for them anymore. (We’re going to cut pieces of polar fleece to size and use those by the way)

But every once in a while I see something that I really can’t resist buying. It could be Adele softly cooing me on, or the fact that the package is shiny or because of the giant sign declaring … Buy one get one FREE.

That usually does it for me.

So a few months ago, as I neared the end of the cleaning products aisle I noticed out of the corner of my eye a big yellow sale sign under a bottle of Windex. But it didn’t look like a bottle of Windex, it was more like a baby wipes container. And then it hit me. THESE WERE PRE-MOISTENED WINDEX TOWELETTES!

You’d have to be a real asshole not to buy those when you saw they were on sale.

Wanting to uphold my cuddly as a kitten reputation, I bought 2. (well technically 1, because the second one was free)

For the next 2 weeks I Windexed at abandon. I walked around the house Windexing everything from the mirrors to the leftover meatloaf. And just like that … they were gone, and the sale was over. I didn’t know what to do.

I wasn’t paying full price for these things even though they were one of the more useful and convenient things I’d ever tried. They just cost so much money for what they were.

So I started experimenting. After 2 or 3 prototypes I came up with this, which I believe is a perfect solution.

I made my own Windex towelette dispenser out of a milk carton, shop towels, and Windex of course. The earlier versions involved tupperware, an ice cream container, regular paper towels and homemade cleaning solution.

The regular paper towels weren’t sturdy enough to handle a good soaking in Windex, the Tupperware and ice cream containers weren’t tall enough to hold nice big sheets of paper towels and the homemade cleaning solution was a pain and really didn’t work as well as Windex. I know there are those of you who would disagree on the Windex point, so if you want to make your own cleaner, go nuts. I will not shun you. Publicly.

Wanna make your own Premoisted Windex Towelette dispenser? Of COURSE you do! Why?? BECAUSE YOU’RE NOT AN ASSHOLE! YOU’RE CUDDLY AS A KITTEN!

Here we go.

Gather an economy bottle of Windex, Shop Towels, and a large milk carton.

Windex Dispenser 1

Mark your shop towels at the height of the milk carton (before it starts to narrow at the top).
Windex Dispenser 2

Cut with a bread knife, or electric knife.

Windex Dispenser 3

You can use the leftover bum end as regular paper towels. If you have an especially poor fashion sense, you could wear it as a hat.

Windex Dispenser 4

Pull the cardboard tube out of the centre.

Windex Dispenser 5

Pull the first shop towel out from the centre of the roll.

Windex Dispenser 6

Carefully open the top of the milk container by pulling it apart. Smush the shop towels into the container. You may need to squish/fold the towels a bit like I’ve done in this picture.

Windex Dispenser 7

Pull the shop towel from the centre out of the milk dispenser hole.

Windex Dispenser 8

Evenly distribute about a cup of Windex. Let it settle and soak for an hour or so. Then do it again. Make sure you get right in the centre of the towels too. If when you pull out a towel it has dry portions, you can pull the entire roll out and douse it in Windex that way. Just be careful not to add too much or they’ll turn to mush and rip apart easily.

Windex Dispenser 9

Now run around your house Windexing willy nilly!

Windex Dispenser 10

Oh I’m sorry. Does this hurt your design sensibilities? Can’t say I blame you. For those of you with a more discriminating eye, I offer this version …

Paper Towel Dispenser Final

It’s a little delicate but I haven’t thrown my Windex Towelette dispenser at anyone in at least 6 months so it should hold up fine.

To make this version just paint your milk (or orange juice) carton white and attach sheets of rhinestones (I got mine at Dollarama) with two way tape. Instead of painting it you can also cover your milk carton with white craft paper or bristol board using two way tape. Keep the top closed by attaching two way tape to both sides of the top of the carton and press firmly.

This kitten’s not just cuddly.  She’s crafty.

1. DzynByJules says:

Of course you did this… utterly FABULOUS! I’ve kinda used an idea similar to this when I’m too cheep/frugal/lazy to buy kleenex and need to fill my tissue holder. I just take the center out of the roll of TP and stuff it in to a pretty little box and not only have a never ending supply of nose wipers, but can adjust the amount I need for less than a fraction of the cost. Kudos to you for taking cleaning to a whole new level!
    Jules

2. Julie says:

you had me at rhinestones! ha! this is brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

3. Laura Bee` says:

You never cease to amaze me. So Useful! So Fancy!

4. Bols says:

Although I applaud you for the innovative idea, I have a few concerns.
    Mainly, how quickly do the shop towels decompose? And what do you with the cut-off ends?
    I have always used read newspaper for window / mirror polishing, and lately I use only more environmentally friendly cleaners or just plain white vinegar (in case of the Sports and Business newspaper sections, those I use unread – just to clarify).

Although I have never windexed my leftover meatloaf I am sure it would be a new experience for me – especially the culinary portion thereof.

5. Debbie from Illinois says:

Girl, you crack me up!

6. Auntiepatch says:

I am SOOOO glad you’re back! You are a genius!

7. Melody Madden says:

This is brilliant .. I am picking up Windex on my way home from work … I may even leave early because I find this so cool ..

8. Bonnie says:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHHAHA! The rhinestone video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have got to be the most brilliant, creative person in the world. Leonardo da Vinci reincarnated!

9. Lisa M says:

I went into a slight catatonic trance with your little movie…but I love this! You are a genius!

10. Megan says:

For what it’s worth, I stumbled upon this homemade cleaner a while back:
    It takes a little more elbow grease because of the cornstarch, but boy howdy does it leave glass sparkling. (I have no connection whatsoever to Crunchy Betty, just love Alvin Corn.)

11. Nancy Blue Moon says:

You are a nut..a cuddly as a kitten kinda nut..lol

12. Feral Turtle says:

Haha this is freakin awesome!! I really love your blinged out milk container too! I might have to give this a try.

13. JF says:

oh my, the Super Sparkly Version is just breath-taking. . .do you have to Windex the Windex Towel Dispenser to keep it looking good?????

(seriously, I love it!)

14. christine says:

Wow, Windex, windshield wiper washing fluid?? These are pretty strong, toxic liquids to be sloshing around with. I would simply use vinegar or a solution of vinegar and water.

15. Jacqui says:

I am gobsmacked! You have taken windex wipes to sexy! God help us all. Lol

16. Maryanne says:

Great idea Karen! I will definitely be trying this – no more searching for last week’s flyers when I need to clean the mirrors :)

17. I am not quite sure why this is easier than squirting the Windex, but I must say I love the ingenuity! And I might now have the urge to go bling my milk container. Is bling a verb now? Can I use it that way?

It’s easier because there is no squirting. Now that the container is made, you have premoistened towels that will last for a couple of months before you have to refill it again. So as you walk around the house cleaning, you only have one thing to carry with you (the milk carton) as opposed to two, the paper towels and windex bottle. It really only takes about 2 minutes to cut the towel and pour the windex. The series of pictures makes it seem like a bigger process than it is. Blinging .. is totally up to you. :) ~ karen

18. Tracy says:

I am in awe. I don’t even Windex stuff all that much, but I will be now. It sounds like time to raid all the shop towels my hubby has stashed in the garage.

On another note, what’s happening with the kitchen remodel?

19. Mary Werner says:

That leftover butt end of towel – can it fit on a toilet roll holder? Just thinking it would be useful in the garage, the kitty litter room, the garden shed, the dog pee pad room, the craft room, the ——. To heck with the windex, I want to go cut up some paper rolls – gotta go.