TODAY’S A HOLIDAY & I WAS GOING TO TAKE TODAY OFF BUT THEN THIS HAPPENED …

newborn

newborn-chick-2

newborn-bum

wing

under-the-wing

mama-and-baby

olive-egger-chick

chick-under-wing

half-day-chick

mama-and-chick

newborn-chick

mama-and-chick-2

chicks-under-breast

At the time of this little photoshoot, 3 chicks had been born.  At this very moment, 5 have been born.  By tomorrow I expect all 7 will be romping around.

Have a great long weekend everyone.  With these little balls of dryer lint wobbling around I’m guaranteed to get exactly nothing done.

signaturetransparent

1. marilyn says:

just home from the cottage and so happy to see your new fuzzy babes..so sweet!

2. Sarah says:

Oh My Gawddd!!! What sweet, sweet peeps!!! Wonderful photos!

3. Ruth says:

Congratulations, Grandma! I mean, Karen… 😀

4. FarmKid Marti says:

Awwwww!! Nothing better.
    Except ducklings. 😉
    (Btw, K, I have to send you a link to a story I heard on the radio this weekend. Ducks, it turns out, are sorta the wild-crazy sex freaks of the bird kingdom. Yikes! WHO KNEW?)

5. Rktrixy says:

Beautiful pics of the lovely little family. Amazing how proud the hen looks, when they weren’t even her eggs! Best of luck with growing your own little hen. And happy Canada Day (late).!

6. Jan says:

Yeaaaaaaa! I’ve been waiting for THIS post!!!

7. Benjamin says:

So happy at the news of the birth of your new grandchickens. Congratulations to Gramma and all the other blessed extended family. Hope everyone is happy and healthy. Josephine is such a good surrogate mom. I love the pics as usual. Happy Fourth of July from us in the lower 48.

Thank you very much Benjamin. I plan to celebrate the event with the purchase of support hose. ~ karen!

8. Heather (mtl) says:

Thanks for sharing these gorgeous pics! They are soo adorable! For some reason I’ve named that first one ‘Button’. Just seems to fit. I imagine it’s easier to sell the girl chicks over the roos, but how many will you be keeping? How about a ‘name that chick’ contest with a set of cleavered tea towels (or a couche) as a prize? Hint hint.
    It’s chilly and grey and I need to paint metal furniture before they take off the balconey floor, hopefully this week. It’s the best time to do it (no drop cloth required!) and I want to ‘eat that frog’ finally. I also de-cluttered with a garage sale and made a healthy $225. Yay me!
    See? You do inspire.
    Happy Canada Day!

9. Theda says:

So cute! Josephine earned her keep.

10. Lynne Burns says:

This made me giggle and smile this morning. Can’t wait for more. Thank you so much for sharing with us and doing what you do with such finesse!

11. robert says:

They are so cute, and blondes like you. How much cuter would be to have a family portrait with all of them?
    Did they started to hatch on Wednesday? If so we share a birthday and I would be reminding you each year to give them something especial every year if you keep any of them

Half hatched on Tuesday and half on Wednesday Robert. So … half of them will be celebrating with you year after year. I will keep them all in honour of you! No I won’t. But I’d like to. ~ karen!

12. Joyce says:

Yay! I have 2 more weeks to go before mine hatch. She looked a little pissed off at you for doing a photo shoot…just sayin.

13. Kelli says:

Congratulations, “Mommy”! I suspect you’ll have an amazing weekend cooing at and coddling your feathery new babies. 🙂 We expect more pics…and names.

Happy Canada day, eh!

14. Grammy says:

Happy Canada Day. I never thought I’d be celebrating that, never having been to your lovely country, but (as they say) “Today we are all Canadians,” because everyone is celebrating the birth of Josephine’s chicks. She looks proud and bewildered at the same time, much like most first-time mothers. And you don’t get to reject being a grandmother, Karen — every one of us who is one got this way because somebody else made it so! Sure, you helped, but Josephine has to do all the mama stuff while you stand around taking pictures and jumping for joy and beaming proudly to the world, too.

Thank you for the beautiful photographs of this momentous occasion. You’ve made a lot of people smile today.

15. Jeanne says:

Ya! You have lil’ chooks! Well done you…

16. Mary Michelle says:

The baby chicks are so cute! Enjoy your holiday weekend whatever you do.

17. Patsy says:

OMG… they are very cute. When my sister received ducklings, she named them cheese and quackers…perhaps you’ll discover more names similar. Congrats grandma chicky!!

18. Safetydog says:

Congratulations to you and Josephine! And perfect timing, for the holiday weekend. The babies are adorable.

19. Lisa says:

Happy Canada Day! Very cute chicks. Will they turn dark later?

20. Cred says:

Congrats! Awesome- Canada Day chicks.

21. Angie S says:

How incredibly exciting!!!

22. Karen P says:

Congratulations on the birth of the chiclets!

23. Jodi T. says:

Is Josephine being a good Mama?

Congratulations!

24. Ev Wilcox says:

Maybe they’ll all be hens-how ’bout that?! You could be the neighbor hood egg lady! Congrats to Josephine!

25. Kim C says:

Congrats on your tiny bundles of cuteness! What fun!!!

26. Mia says:

I detected a bit of attitude from one or two of them. I hope they are the keepers; they probably have the most personality.

27. Kim K. says:

Look at those cute little bearded cheeks on the ameracauna chicks and feathered leggs on the marans X !

28. Lynn says:

Well done Josephine!
    Congrats Karen!
    Welcome to the world little peeps!

29. Denise L Potter says:

Adorable. So happy that they are hatching. What fun for you.

What ever happened to the coop cam? Share the love!

30. Sherri Jackson says:

Congratulations. Does this mean you’re a grandmother now? Sooo cute

31. Liz says:

we’re squealing over here! so many good photos! 🙂 Happy Canada Day

32. Marion says:

Congrats! They’re absolutely adorable. Enjoy your weekend relaxing and watching fluffy chicks toddle around 🙂

33. Ashly says:

True Story: I had SIX broody girls in June. Rather than fight them, I just let them do their thing. Tuesday, I get home to SEVEN chicks in a laying box, not a hen or pullet in sight. I guess when things got real, all of the girls took off. Not a single one of them have laid in the boxes since.

34. Kat says:

I had tears develop looking at these photos, I thought maybe it was allergies, nope, after reading all the comments I scrolled through the photos again and it was not allergies, they were real tears of joy for you. Well done Karen!

35. Meg says:

Does this mean you’re a grandma? Lol! Congrats!

36. sledwell says:

I assume you’ll be clucking around like a (second) mother hen;-).

37. RuthAnn says:

Hope you set up the coop cam again. They are so cute can’t get enough!

38. Brenda says:

awwwwwwee – what perfect fluffy little posers – showing all their good angles – make sure we get some shots of you too – the proudest chick of all – weeeeeee – what a fun celebratory weekend this has turned out to be.

39. Linda in Illinois says:

yeah!!! So beautiful, Jo looks amazing in your photos, I would love a photo of her and the chicks to hang in my kitchen.

40. bellygrl says:

Sweet! This post made me smile. Looking forward to the follow up w video! Have a great weekend watching the chicks.

41. Melissa in NC says:

How exciting, great photos! Congrats 🙂 Hope you get at least one female.

42. Allison says:

Happy Canada Day to you, Karen, and Happy Mother’s Day to Josephine!!!

My cousin raises chickens for FFA down here in Texas, and we love to check them out when we head to their house at Christmas time. Baby chickies are the best!!!

43. maggie van sickle says:

Good job Momma chicken and congrats Nana Karen. Cute little things they are . Enjoy the Grandkids.

44. NY2SC2NC says:

Will you keep all of the chicks? I love your blog, been reading it incognito for a while; It’s my favorite. You do realize that your photography skills are top-notch, right? I know you put a lot of work into your photography. I really enjoy your photos. Thanks!

Thanks! I wouldn’t say they’re top notch, lol, but I have been spending as much time as I can on the photography side. 🙂 I won’t be keeping all the chicks! One or two and the rest I’ll sell. I won’t want to, but I just can’t keep that many! ~ karen!

45. Katie C. says:

OMG!!!! They are so stinkin’ cute!!!

I can’t wait to see more pictures as they grow up!

46. Laura Bee says:

Squeeeee! Great pictures – congratulations & Happy Canada Day!

47. Ter'e Crow LindsY says:

You are a furry grandma!!!! I am so thrilled for you. How soon will it be til you know sex of these dryer lints……….er………..chickies???? They are beautiful.

How is your hooking doing? Did you finish your rug???? I see a chicken rug in your future.

I probably won’t know what they are until they’re several more weeks old. The hooking is on hold until fall! Too much to do in the summer! So I have it laid out on a stand lookin’ pretty until I get back to it. ~ karen!

48. Lori says:

Congratulations Karen! Sweet little babes……

49. I see a baby naming contest coming up!