A Twig Tree for Tiny Spaces.

Whichever camp you’re in; the I have NO room for a tree in my home or the I’m sure I can shove ONE more tree in my home, this tiny Christmas twig tree will do what you need.  It takes up no space at all. Not on a table, the floor or a counter. It’s the ultimate skinny tree.

Twig tree with vintage glass ornaments on a white wall in a living room with a roaring fire.

Now you’ll probably think I’m exaggerating, but leading up to making this tree I had the best day of my life. Here’s what happened,  I FOUND SOME STICKS!

Not just *any* sticks!  I found 2 bundles of perfectly straight sticks out behind the kitchen store I shop at.  The sticks were in the garbage pile, covered in muck and discarded coffee cups. Since the area is also near a bar it’s entirely possible there was a bit of urine and vomit around them.   I’m lucky I spotted them!

I brought those twigs home and I made myself a twig tree for the wall. Is it a lush, romantic, over the top Christmas tree?  No.  Definitely no.  It’s a little bit Dr. Seuss, a little bit Charlie Brown.

To do it yourself all you need are some twigs, Command strips (or any removable two way tape) and a few Christmas balls. I feel stupid for telling you that you need twigs to make something out of twigs. But you do.

How to Make a Wall Tree for Christmas!

Wall mounted twig tree with colourful Christmas ornaments.

The Twig Tree is similar to the Wall Web I did for Halloween, only this time around instead of using 2 sided tape, I used the Command removable tape tabs because they’re stronger than two way tape and come off completely clean.

Nope. Not a sponsored post. They just work better than two way tape for this project.

Command strips laying on white countertop.

1. Arrange your twigs on the floor from the shortest length to the longest. If they’re all the same lengths then trim some so they lengths are graduated.
  2. Tape your twigs to the wall to form the trunk first. You can go straight up, or a bit curved.
  3. Starting from the bottom, now do your branches. The longest twigs will be the bottom branches and the shortest ones the top.
  4.  Lay your branches on the wall and roll them until they’re in a position where they lay flattest on the wall.  Then just stick em up.
  5. Use several Command strips for each twig to make sure they’re attached to the wall well.  Use a minimum of 3 strips. You can cut the strips if they’re wider than your twigs.
  6. Once all the branches are done you can hang your ornaments off of them. Use LIGHTWEIGHT ornaments so the weight doesn’t  pull the branches off the wall.

A tree made of twigs, flat against a wall from floor to ceiling complete with ornaments.

I did my tree using the antique ornaments I got years ago at the Christie’s Antique Show & Sale so they’re genuine vintage glass ornaments. The safer (smarter, wiser, less stupid) thing to do would be to use plastic ornaments that won’t make you cry if they fall and break.

This is a Christmas wall tree, not a Christmas floor tree.  But accidents do happen.

A wall Christmas tree with a star on top with wrapped presents underneath.

That’s all there is to it.

TIPS

I also sprayed a bit of fake snow on the branches the night before I did this to give the twigs a bit more depth.  More zing.  And zip.  And plus I love spraying that snow.

Tree twigs sprayed with fake snow.

Total cost for the Twig Tree?  $2 for the Command tape tabs.  If you yourself, don’t happen to have the luck that I did with finding dirt covered, worm infested, peed upon sticks, you can buy them just about anywhere this time of year.  Garden Centres, Ikea, Dollar Stores even.

It’s a great option for someone who has a wall but doesn’t have the space to put up an actual tree.   Like people in jail maybe.  Or a home for the criminally insane.  Or rehab.  Those people need trees too.  It’s the Charlie Brown Incarceration tree.

Merry Christmas Charlie Brown.

→Follow me on Instagram where I often make a fool of myself←

No space for a Christmas tree but you reallyyyyyy want one? Do my twig wall tree! One part Dr. Seuss, one part Charlie brown. In other words, perfect. :)

1. Cindy Groce says:

Lol you’re so funny …

2. Jacquie Gariano says:

What a great idea for apartment people and “others”. I read the book you have on the coffee table, “Blood, Bones & Butter” loved it too.

3. J says:

Karen-Love the way you think and how you are always finding new and positive ways to bring joy! Have enjoyed your thoughts for years now, and I expect I am ready for my masters degree of thinking Canadian via Karen University

4. Devon says:

I Just Love This! You are so wonderful, thank you, Karen!

5. judy says:

There’s foolish and Fabulous,you dominate the latter! Happy Christmas to Canada-the land of the logical people. I manage to restrict weeping to only once per day………..

6. Robert S. says:

Okay, this is a terrific idea, but I’ve decided I’m not going digging for branches behind bars where I know the guys “go” – especially when it’s under the 10 cm of snow that fell here last night.

But seriously, are you supposed to dust the front hall light more often than once a year? 😂

7. TucsonPatty says:

This year I could do this!! Hair stylists don’t get to breathe or pee much till after New Year’s Day, and my tiny, twisted, poured metal tree hasn’t made it out for a few years.
    I have to find the teeny weenie ornaments for it and it is too hard for me right now.
    This I can do with just the usual weird decorations I have found over the many years.
    Thanks for the reminder for this tree, Karen.

8. Box Office Earnings says:

When it comes to displaying intensity on screen, very a small number of can live up to the
    values collection by Ajay. The box office totals for Knight and Day don’t have much time to recover either,
    because Twilight: Eclipse debuts on Wednesday, following by The Last Airbender on Thursday.
    If your business uses Quicken, Quickbooks or Peachtree
    accounting software, you will find integrating your accounts payable
    function with your collections seamless and simple.

9. Sheryl says:

I understand your excitement. I have been looking for sticks for about 10 years. Not just any old sticks but the exact right kind of sticks. I’m sure you understand.

10. magali says:

I just found a post I never read!!! I love those kind of surprises!

11. Dawn Frank says:

Karen, I’m new to Pinterest and just found your pin and absolutely love it. Even more than the awesome tree, I love your energy and spirit. Thanks for sharing!

12. vaughn says:

I’m not sure I’ve ever left comment but I’ve enjoyed your site for a good while now and am seriously cracked up by your fabulously twisted humor.

You absolutely rock!

Happy Solstice season to you!

v

Thanks Vaughn! I’m glad you left a comment. Come on back! Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m entering hour 5 of Christmas wrapping. ~ karen

13. Susan says:

Wow, I’m so glad that i stumbled upon you and your remarkable, so cool, tree. Your words kept me laughing. Maybe these will make a book someday.
    I’d buy it in a heartbeat!
    susan