Looking for unique gifts because people have come to expect that from you? Or gifts that are less than $25 because – really – you barely even know this person? Yeah. Me too. And I found some! Read on …
Sometimes I spend more on Christmas presents than I probably should. The reason for this comes down to money. I’m swimming in it. Honestly, if a Vanderbilt and a Zuckerberg had a baby I’d have enough money to choke its off shore bank manager.
I spend so much money on presents because it’s usually harder to find a cheap gift than an expensive one. If I happen to find something I know someone will really like but it’s over budget – it just isn’t worth my time and effort to NOT buy it and look for something less expensive.
Which makes getting nice gifts for under $25 really hard sometimes. At least if you want them to be a bit unique. If you don’t care about unique just buy them $25 worth of canned pork and beans and call it a day.
Actually that would be quite unique. You know, now that I think about it.
I did some scouring and found some unique and fun gifts for under $25
- Glass zipper bag – Blown glass container that looks just like a plastic ziploc bag. My sister owns this so I’ve seen it in real life and it’s really nice! To make it even better fill it with something like jelly beans or nuts. Or diamonds.
2. Ticket stub organizer – This little black book doesn’t show up terrible well here in my post but it’s something any music or theatre goer would love. I have a plastic bag filled with concert tickets dating back to when I was probably 16 or 17 years old. This little photo album is meant and sized specifically for tickets. LOVE.
3. Bob Ross figurine – What can one say about this happy little figurine?
4. Shit Just Got Real Notebook – Plain, lined notebook. Perfect gift for anyone whose shit is about to get real.
5. Bedside Pocket – iPad sized felt pocket that hangs off your beds side rails. Tuck your phone, book or iPad in there as you slip away to dreamland. Or ya know, you can just let everything crash on the floor like normal.
6. Gold Whisk – It’s a gold whisk. Who wouldn’t want something like that???
7. Glass Salt Cellar – A little glass salt cellar with lid from Boxwood Avenue.
8. Matzo Chips – Not only tasty chips but a lesson in good marketing and design.
9. Black Tassel Earrings – I own these and they’re REALLY nice. They come in all different colours. I came *close* to buying them in canary yellow but chickened out. Technically I guess I Big Birded out.
10. Classic Stork Embroidery Scissors – Everyone needs a pair of pretty, teeny, tiny scissors.
If I could just circle back to the pork and bean scenario. A case of pork and beans would actually make a really good gift for anyone who a) likes to fart on people or b) is worried about impending doom and is stocking up a safe room.
I just thought I’d throw that in there in case you happened to have one of those people in your life. And if you’re married to a man I think it’s safe to say …
O.K., so onto some unique gifts for the unique person in your life. Or maybe you’re the unique person and everyone has come to expect fantastic gifts from you. Here’s what I came up with …
1. Smartphone holder/vase – I normally don’t like these “double duty” things but I always have a small vase with a couple of flowers in it AND my iPhone on my bedside table so – this makes sense to me.
2. World Traveller Cork Globe – For either the world traveller or the wannabe world traveller. A cork globe with stick pins to show where you’ve been or where you want to go.
3. Ditch the Pits – I always put olives out when people come over. Because I’m nice. At the end of the night I walk around picking up crumpled paper napkins filled with gross, disgusting chewed up olive pits. Even if I put a bowl beside the olives, chew up an olive and spit the pit in there so they know what it’s for … they STILL spit them in napkins. Hopefully this dish with a built in pit holder will stop this worldwide problem.
4. Carbonator – The Kim Kardashian of the carbonated water world. Sorry Soda Stream.
5. Forest bookends – Because just LOOK at them.
6. Aerogarden – Grow kitchen herbs and even tomatoes in this automatic hydroponic setup.
7. Old World Door Knocker – Knock, knock. Who’s there? Adore. Adore who? Adore would look great with this on it.
And if you could indulge me just one more time, the other thing about giving cans of pork and beans for the holidays, they’re incredibly good for you. Beans are full of protein and fibre and vitamins. They’re like little cans of health. You might have to write that on the card though because otherwise the recipient might be confused. As to why they’re getting baked beans. Just explain it to them and then watch their face light up.
O.K. let’s get something for those stockings shall we?
- Faceted Pop Socket – Don’t know what a Pop Socket is? You stick it to the back of your smart phone so it’s easier to hold, text and take pictures with.
2. Sorry I’m late I didn’t want to come – I’m a size small. Send it to my P.O. Box. For $14 I don’t think you can expect much from this tee shirt (and it is a tee shirt not sweatshirt) but who wouldn’t want to show up to a party in this?
3. Metal Straws – These also come in plain stainless steel but I kindda like the mixed colours. Because plastic straws are the new devil and paper straws honestly just don’t work well.
4. Pom pom hat – This is one of those rare items that is only available in Canada!
5. Carhartt hat – A Gord Downie favourite. The ubiquitous Carhartt hat.
6. Slipper Socks (with non slip tread) – If you haven’t discovered slipper socks I’m so sorry for you.
7. Cable holders – THESE things are a must if you have any sort of technology and a desk. My phone cord and laptop cords are constantly slipping off the desk onto the floor. These little doo dads keep everything in place. ‘Cept your bum. Nothing will ever be invented that can stop your bum from sliding down your legs as you age.
8. Facial Sponge – This sponge contains activated charcoal! Which I’m sure does nothing, but it’s a nice looking little face sponge.
And this concludes today’s Gift Guide.
I hope it’s bean helpful.
→Follow me on Instagram where I often make a fool of myself←