Can You Help Me Create the World’s Longest Christmas Gift List?

And then one day my nose started bleeding, my eyeballs shrivelled to the size of peas and my brains flew out of my ears.  Just like that the Christmas season had begun.

I figured Black Friday would be a good day to talk a bit about the dangers of Christmas shopping.  We’re all familiar with the various freak tragedies that occur on Black Friday throughout North America, but there are other, less press worthy disasters that happen in homes across the U.S. and Canada.

Like stress pimples.

For me the most debilitating part of the holidays is the presents. I put too much pressure on myself to buy really good presents. This pressure causes my nose to bleed my eyeballs to dry up and my brains to explode right out of my ears.

It’s mostly selfish. I like to see the look of wonder, amazement and excitement on someone’s face when they unwrap a photo of myself.

That may seem a little narcissistic but it isn’t.  In the photo I’m holding their real present, a castle in Scotland filled with sloths, monkeys, boxes of flattering clothing and a complete staff ready to serve them all their favourite foods for the rest of their life, which will be forever because I’ve also given them gift of eternal eating.

At least that’s the way I’d like my present giving to go.

You’d be surprised at how often it doesn’t go exactly like that.

Some years are easier than others to find that perfect gift.  This year has been kind of 50/50 but the good news is I’ve actually got a pretty practical list of gifts I’d like myself.  Normally I don’t have a clue what to say when people ask me what I’d like for Christmas. This leads to the ever popular “I don’t need anything, don’t worry about it, I don’t know, why are you asking me this, it takes all the fun out of getting the present and by the way would would YOU like for Christmas?

If you follow The Christmas Pledge where every day in November has a task to help get you ready for a stress free December, then you KNOW that December 7th was “Make a list of the things YOU want” day.  So I did.  Because as the creator of The Christmas Pledge I have to keep up the pretence of being some sort of Christmas organizing expert.

I’m going to share a few things right here because it might spark an idea of what you’d like to get or give people.  This should help cut down on your holiday stress.   Nobody needs more pimples around Christmas.  It distracts from the beauty of the season.

So far my list consists of Idris Elba obviously, ( yeah, I know he’s married, so was everyone at one point), an Excalibur Food Dehydrator, Martha Stewart’s Hunting Boots, some Photography accessories like this colour card, and new underwear.  I realize it’s not a huge list, but it’s something.

The worst part is when the day AFTER Christmas rolls around.  That’s the day all the ideas come flooding towards me like Santa’s sleigh on an out of control roller coaster.  I’m suddenly enlightened and have ideas for everything I should have bought and everything I should have asked for.  Like pimple cream for instance.

In an effort to help alleviate the stress and help prevent someone else’s brains from exploding out of their ears, I’d like to invite you all to let everyone know what it is you’d like for Christmas or Hanukkah.  And if you have any really great gift ideas for other people, throw those in too.

Between the thousands and thousands of us we should be able to come up with a pretty good idea list.

Not that I need it you understand. I created The Christmas Pledge so obviously I’ve had all my presents figured out since “Present figuring out day”, December 10th.

Well maybe I need it a little bit.  Together, you and I can create a big enough and diverse enough gift list to last us for the next decade.

Have a good weekend!

1. Mary W says:

I wish that Karen just keeps on keeping on – love this blog! and the other people that read it. Hip, hip, hooray for all of us!

2. Hannah says:

A really good boot brush thing that you wipe the mud off your shoes, like the kind they have outside seniors halls. Peace Country gumbo mud is challenging.

Oooh, and cast iron moosehead hook.

3. LB says:

For people to stop using the “word” gifting.

4. Karen says:

When it comes to whislists Pinterest is your friend!
    Whenever I find something I’d like when I peruse the Internet I pin it so when I get the inevetable wishlist ask BAM! there you go. No more uuummms because I come prepared.
    I only have around 20 Canadian buckeroos to spend on average on any Christmas gift. It does make it quite fun because I have to get creative. It does however mean that my gifts can almost never be exchanged because I either buy them throughout the year whenever I find a bargain or make them myself. So this is when Pinterest saves me again: I pay attention and pin stuff when people say things like: “I really want this thing/this thing is so cool” or “this thing is really annoying and that thing would fix it”.
    This year I’m getting my mom a chromecast. It’s a little pricy for my tiny budget but I cannot say enough nice things about the thing. I love mine sooo much. We like to watch movies and you just don’t get that movie night feel if you have to watch it on a computer.
    My dad loves all things navy so he’s getting the dvd “Operation petticoat” with Cary Grant and Tony Curtis. The movie features lots of uboat spare parts which I know he’ll love and it’s really funny so we can watch it toghether without me checking my watch every 5 minutes out of boredom.
    For my friend who want’s to garden but live in an apartment: a book on how to regrow vegetable from scraps.
    I wish for “Simply peel fluid latex barrier” so I can do even more cool nail art.
    A card game called “Funemployed”.
    Some books: “Edible perenial gardening” by Anne Kelsey and “The barefoot beekeper” by Phillip Chandler.
    An IRC “the box” radio for my kitchen. The speaker is coved by a lid for when it’s not in use which minimizes the amount of gunk anything sitting out in a kitchen get’s coved in.
    I try and have wishes that span from cheap to pricy so everyone has a chance to get me something without breaking the bank. Some people spend insane amounts of money but I prefer not to be broke for the first couple of months of the year and I assume the feeling is mutual.
    Then there’s the gifts I would rather pass on. The “last minute only because I feel guilty/don’t know what to get”-gifts I can do without. I would rather you write me a nice Christmas letter telling me what they think of me – unless you don’t like me. No one needs your smart mouth.

5. Speckhen says:

The cold frame that Lee Valley is currently selling-
    The Radius serrated garden spade (also Lee Valley) –
    10 000 Villages tree of life bombshell necklace.

6. Sachi says:

I would love a drill – driver machine that is easy to use, woodworking lessons, sashiko needles and thread, various sewing machine presser feet, an under eye cream for my dark circles that actually works, AND a tiny house preferably in the middle of nowhere. 🙂

7. Seadee says:

I’m behind in my blog-reading, but I have a few items to make the list longer! And I’m dreaming big.

Two sheds: one for my tools, and one to make/do all the stuff I learn from this blog!
    New windows/insulation for the house.
    $$ for my enclose my atrium.
    A new kitchen, and roof.
    New eyeballs (bad eyesight, HA!)
    A fully-funded GoFundMe for an old friend who I just found out tonight was homeless in Bend, OR.
    Oh, and PEACE ON EARTH.

Thankful for you and your blog, Karen!