What was your FIRST job?

My mother is constantly bringing up the number of jobs I’ve had over my lifetime. I started to settle into my career life around the age of 26 when I was hired for my first television hosting job and spent the next 15 or so years hosting different shows for different television stations and production companies.

But before that. Well that’s another story. The part time jobs I had throughout high school and university ranged from picking strawberries to working in stores to slugging it out in a steel mill. The length of time I worked in these places ran from a few minutes to a few months.

I was particular about my working conditions and left my jobs as I saw fit. Often without warning or notice. Mainly I just decided this blows, and walked out the door.

On one particular occasion I was desperate for a job to buy Christmas presents for everyone in my family. So desperate I took a part time job in one of those mall clothing stores that thinks really bright fluorescent lighting, rolling racks filled with incomprehensibly awful and ugly clothing, and really loud, bad music is the way to go.

I did not agree with them. But I agreed to work there. I could struggle through it.

And I did. For a day and a half. For on the second day they told me I would have to wear a Santa Claus hat throughout my workday.

Now, I could force myself to deal with poor constructed garments made out of completely unrecognizable fibres. But I could not stand around selling this crap while wearing a Santa hat.

I set the hat down on the floor and quietly slipped out the door, never to return. I didn’t even pick up my paycheque, which I imagine would have totalled around $4.52.

But this is about my first job. My very first job.

I was in grade 8 and had a friend whose neighbour  distributed sunglasses. Peepers. They needed workers to take the glasses out of their plastic bags, label them and put a tag on them. We were required to work for 2 or 3 weekends.

I remember 2 things about this job. The room we worked in was the driest dustiest place I’d ever been in outside of a cardboard box.  And, at lunchtime we all got to go to lunch like grown ups. At a restaurant. I ordered chicken fingers.

I will never forget that first job and the first paycheque that came with it. $19. I remember that distinctly because I ended up losing it. Being a stupid kid and all.

So now I ask you … What Was Your First Job?

Judging by what I know about the average Art of Doing Stuff reader, I have a hunch there’s going to be some very interesting responses.

Have a good weekend!

1. Ruth says:

I never worked while I was attending school, so my first job was secretarial work for the government… back when they called us Secretary rather than Administrative Assistant, and we did considerably more work for less money). I was 17, could not pay taxes, but I had completed high school and community college and somehow managed to convince them that my age and lack of actual experience had nothing to do with anything.

I worked in that capacity for 1 1/2 years, then left for greener pastures… I was – by then – a ‘proud’ taxpayer.

2. Kristen S says:

My first job was at 14 being an “order taker” at the local Chinese Food restaurant. I took the delivery orders, got yelled at in Mandarin and my butt grabbed by the old cook. My boss was this terribly mean woman who had a big hairy mole smack dab in the middle of her face. I got paid cash under the table, and it was nothing close to legal. Sometimes I still have nightmares of that hairy mole…

3. Rebecca says:

My first job (other than babysitting) was at a corner auto shop helping the mechanic who owned the place do “stuff”–mostly I was small enough to get my hands in places in the cars that he couldn’t. Also, I cleaned the place, helped him with his books and he thought it was amusing for me to bend over an engine with my heinie facing the street (said it brought in more customers)! I was in 9th grade at the time. If someone did that to a 14 year old girl NOW–we’d call them a pedophile and abusive! Times change. lol

4. Rachele says:

My first job was as a pharmacy technician at a huge place that filled prescriptions for nursing homes and such. I worked on the floor filling bubble packs with pills. Scattered about the room were these big manual laminating machines that sealed the packages, and I had to hang almost my entire weight from the bar to get it to come down. I was still a bit scrawny in high school. My arms got wicked strong in those couple of months. I liked my second job better, even though it was temporary and often disgusting – maintenance work at an amphitheater. Some concerts were worse to clean up after than others. I remember Jimmy Buffet’s fans being particularly awful – lots and lots of vomited up nachos on the lawn the next morning. I signed up to work parking before and after shows, and between I could go in and see the concert if I felt like it. I was outside with all my friends most of the time, totally unsupervised. The boss stayed in the office and got annoyed if I finished my work too fast, so I learned the valuable work skill of slacking off, I mean pacing myself.

5. Diana says:

The summer I was 15, I worked at an amusement part. 2 days a week I worked at mini-golf, where in addition to the millions of mosquito bites received, I learned that blue is the most popular golfball color. 2 days a week I hung out the cool guys and sold tickets to the go-karts. And 2 days I worked in an arcade and also sold tickets to the haunted mansion. To this day, there are certain songs that totally bring me back to that summer – “Jack and Diane” by John Cougar, “Hot in the City” by Billy Idol, “Hold Me” by Fleetwood Mac, and “Caught Up in You” by 38 Special. Needless to say, I did not select the music that was played throughout the park!

6. Jamiek says:

My first job was given to me by my mother during the early 60’s when I was in elementary school. I was delegated as Diaper Pre-Washer; which meant dunking my baby brother’s diapers in and out of the toilet until all the crap was off them. I was paid a nickel a week for doing that (along with making my bed). I’m sure she must have been breaking some sort of child labor law back then.

7. jackie says:

Like you, I had a plethora. First one was dull, so I’ll tell you my best quitting story. It’s as apathetic as yours. Went for an Orange Julius from my retail clothing store job. Loved the drink. Told my coworker I wanted another. She said to go. I said my break was over. I decide I might as well quit so I don’t have to bother with “rules”. Got me another one. Didn’t taste as good as the first. Lesson: Grass isn’t greener on the other side. It’s rather bland.

8. Ana says:

My first job was as a cashier at TJMaxx. It was my town’s alternative to bagging groceries at the local store. Fourteen years later I still work for them at their Corporate HQ as an executive assistant. After years pursuing a degree in poetry (useless) and sowing my wild oats, I came back to TJX. I thought it would feel like a step back, but actually it worked out really well. I like saying I’ve been working for the same company since I was 16! However, there are songs that are “TJMaxx” songs that I heard over and over again on the store PA that I now can’t stand to listen to EVER!

9. kelly says:

I was in 10th grade and my friend’s uncle was hiring holiday help at an old, very old mercantile store in the women’s lingerie department. I was 15 barely had breast myself and I was asked to help women fit bras… Thankfully they quickly realized their mistake and I spent the rest of my time there steaming nighties. It was a cool old store though!

10. Sarah In Illinois says:

My parents owned an auto parts store. My first job was to clean and face shelves and to file invoices (1992). I think I made $2.75/ hour.

Twenty years later…

I am the manager of the same store. However, my parents have sold the business and I am working for the new owner. With a bit of a pay raise. 😉

I did do an intership in college with a construction company $7.00/ hr. For 7 weeks, then came back to the family business when my requirements for my degree were satisfied.

11. Ron says:

My first job at about age 12 was sweeping floors & stocking shelves at the corner store for $0.25/hr.

Then I got on at Dominion Stores for $0.50/hr. Shortly after I arrived they were unionized and my pay increased to $0.75/hr. Eventually got to be head of part-time at $1.25/hr. Most important part of my job as head of part-time was making sure that everyone punched out in the first half of the quarter hour so that they didn’t get paid for the quarter hour.

Spent two summers at army cadet camp (Ipperwash & Petawawa) – $100/ 7 weeks and worked one summer as electricians helper for my electrical shop teacher wiring an addition to a school.

Finally got in at the local paper mill where the big money was and made enough money to pay for my first year at University of Waterloo engineering.

Made enough money (barely) on each co-op work term to pay for next semester at university until I graduated.

Was glad to be able to support myslf while at university. My dad always asked me if I needed money but I wouldn’t have felt right accepting. After all, at age 15 he was riding the rails from southern Ontario to the prairies with his older brother looking for work during the fall harvest.

12. Sarah A. says:

My first job was working at a Girl Scout summer camp as a counselor. During a day off, about half the counselors decided to go for a hike in the woods. Turns out the compass was broken and we ended up getting lost for 5 hours as it was getting dark. Finally, after cutting our way out of some dense brush with pocket knives we came out to the highway (a WAYS away from the camp, and we had to hitchhike back to camp. I’m pretty sure we should have had badges taken away for that one!

13. Ellen says:

Cleaning motel rooms, at the tender age of 13! The owner went in first, ostensibly to leave the clean sheets for me, but I now realize it was also to pick up the tips & check that there was nothing a 13 year old girl shouldn’t see. I was young & naive & never gave it a thought… I was paid the same wage as the grownup woman who had done this before – $1 an hour! I hated cleaning toilets, & sometimes skipped that, but there were complaints when I did. I also spent a summer running a kids day camp – I can hardly believe that now. And I worked once at the Toronto Ex making change for slot machines- numbingly boring, but I got into the Ex for free everyday!!

14. Trissi V. says:

First job was being a peer leader for a class at UT El Paso. The Prof never showed up, so me and my peer leader partner ended up teaching the whole class.

15. Sandra says:

Around age 12 I was finally old enough to help inventory my Grandfathers restaurant supply store. My sister, cousin (both 13) and I soon tired of the task and while store employees diligently counted, sorted, arranged and, well, did their job, we filled empty tea cups with cola,mixed the knives with the forks, played hide and seek etc. At the end of the first day we were each presented with $50.00 cash! WHOA, suddenly the guilt set in and over the course of the next few days we worked really hard to remedy the damage we had created… that being said, we had no problems going into the German Deli next door and systematically breaking every single one of the “Zit” candy bars … “Zit” bars and teenagers should not be expected to get along. It wasn’t until I was in my thirties that I had the nerve to tell my Grandfather of my misdeeds. (of course he knew all along). I inventoried that ginormous store for many summers earning around $250.00 for one week of work.

16. Jake says:

My first job was a gofor, you know, go for this go for that. Me gofor at one end of a humungus design office (full of men) and Jen at the other end. I managed to start a cat fight with her over the best looking guy around and provided the best entertainment those guys had all month. She was also responsible for introducing me to a 20 year habit of tobacco, what a b**ch. Fun job though.

17. Leslie says:

I was hired as the cook at a children`s Dude Ranch at the age of 15 — not just ONE of the cooks — but THE cook! We fed 100-120 kids every day and I got really good at slinging pancakes and burgers, and learning how to stretch a large tin of tuna into far-too-many sandwiches. (Think watery and thinly-spread goop…) Between meals I would sometimes be required to lifeguard the pool, supervise the trampoline or do some lame craft-making with the kids. At times I even had to lead trail-rides of 10+ kids and their horses, which to a horse-lover sounds great — but I was no horse-lover. I was terrified of the big beasts, and I couldn’t control a horse to save my life! It was an interesting and unforgettable summer — one that included an almost-severed finger (thanks to the meat-slicer), a broken toe (thanks to “Sugar”, my not-to-be-trusted filly), and of course, the words to every campfire song ever created…after all, who could forget the lovely lyrics to “Little Rabbit Frou-frou” and “Alice the Camel”?

18. Jeannie B. says:

When I was 14, I got a job in a record bar at the back of a drug store attached to a big hotel. At 6 p.m. the pharmacist went home and the prescrption area was closed. One evening, a man came in the hotel entrance, came over to me and asked for something that I couldn’t pronounce. After him repeating the word a few times, i went up to the front of the store and to the older cashier, who had a long line of women buying perfume and beauty products, I said in a loud voice, “Millie, there’s a man who wants to buy PROPYLACTICS.”. I had no idea what they were, but everyone else did. They were in a locked drawer. Millie said to me afterwards, ” I can’t believe he asked a young girl like you”.

19. gloria says:

Just wondering. After reading all these stories (thanks, Karen, for even more reasons to avoid housework), I’m amazed that there’s any unemployment in this world. If pre teen kids are willing to pick tomatoes, be a diaper pre-washer, or a car park attendant, then why are so many adult people out of work? I don’t get it.

20. Donna T says:

Very first job… I was 8 yrs old and got to steer a tractor through the fields as the big boys moved irrigation pipe in the summer. 50-cents an hour was BIG money for an 8-year old in 1953! Other than picking berries and beans, my next “real” job, at age 18, was washing dishes in a roadside cafe. My boss was a sweaty bald old Greek guy who munched on garlic cloves and smoked a fat horrible cigar. He used to lean over me at the sink to see if I was scrubbing the dishes properly…his breath was so bad it gagged me. He also had a mean temper and chased his screechy nagging wife out of the kitchen with a meat cleaver more than once! Did I mention I was married and pregnant at the time? Oh yes… I only last a month… they guy was just too stinky!

• Gayla T says:

I thought I was te only old lady who hangs out here but I was also i years old in 1953. Actually, the only other young chick, right?

• Gayla T says:

OOPS! I missed the 8 and got the i. Maybe I should just quit and go to bed. I’ve taken a lot of pain meds today and it seems to be showing. LOL

21. West Coast Nan says:

My first job of any value was as a chambermaid at the local TravelLodge when I was 14. Weekend mornings would find me knocking on doors and stripping beds, cleaning bathrooms and vacuuming carpets. I was good at it. I worked there 4 summers and as I got older and started socializing with friends alcohol became a factor, a big factor. When I came in to work hungover I really appreciated people who checked out early. I would close the door and lay on the stripped bed for 20 minutes and then hop up and whiz around cleaning like a mad woman. I made more per hour than any of my friends because it was a union job. Good times, good times, and I retained the cleaning bug for life, although now I choose not to see as much dirt as I used to…

22. mrsblocko says:

I was a receptionist at a dentist office. Not the funnest job ever if you don’t enjoy listening to people scream. (Which I don’t btw.)

23. Scouty says:

My first real job was waitressing at a greasy spoon in our small town. It had the best food – all home cooked, it sold homefries instead of french fries, yum! All the dishwashing was done by hand in a sink that was so deep and big I could barely reach the bottom. After the lunch rush, the sink was piled high, it would take all afternoon to wash and dry those dishes. I still think about how good that food tasted.
    One evening a polite gentleman came in and sat at a table. My boss could tell that he was moving through and on tough times. She made a plate of food for him, he ate it all. She then made up some sandwiches for him to take with him and didn’t charge him.
    It intrigued me how she could read people. She knew right away what this guy needed and what she would do to help. I was only 14/15 yrs old at the time, learning the ways of the world.

24. Amy says:

I got my first job when I was sixteen. I worked at the local tux rental shop and spent my time measuring men/boys, hemming pants/jackets and restocking the tuxedoes when they returned from the cleaners. The worst part of my job was having to unpack all of the dirty tuxes that would be returned after a weekend of partying. They were GROSS!

25. Pat says:

My first job (outside of babysitting) was making gift bows in a drugstore in my hometown. I had a spindle that held a sharp, pointed plastic tack. I made a lot of bows, and I loved it! I also sold one of my art prints to one of my high school teachers.,Later, I became a cherry picker in Switzerland where I spent a lot of time looking at the scenery. After that, I worked in the laundry department of a beautiful hotel in Stratford-upon-Avon. I put the clean, wet shirts on a cool machine, buttoned the shirts, turned it on, and the machine’s metal plates would spring out and stretch the shirt while warm air blew through it, drying the shirt perfectly. I actually took a picture of the machine.

And, now, I’m a seamstress. Ah, fate…

26. Carole McGinnis says:

McDonalds…and when you had to add up the receipts. No computers or adding machines. I was saving to get my first pair of contacts, which my parents wouldn’t pay for since they bought me glasses. I did get the food at 50% off so that was cool.

27. Tanya W says:

My first job was in a fabric shop in my senior year of HS. I would straighten the bolts of fabric and cut yards of fabric for customers. I remember my fingers being super dry from constantly touching cloth!

28. Laura says:

At 16, I began working at a tiny little market near the river in my hometown. I was to be at work at 4:30 am every Saturday. My job was to sell breakfast biscuits to all the fishermen who’d come in, along with dipping my hand into a giant wire box of full of jumping, climbing, arm-clinging live crickets, so that the fishermen would have bait for the day. Sometimes I dipped minnows. It was terrifying every time, and so I never accurately measured the crickets or fish…I just dumped whatever amount seemed correct into the container. It was glamourous, for sure.

29. Heather says:

I took my first job (if you don’t count baby-sitting) in seventh grade. It was at a sprout factory — it was dank, fairly dim (a few fluorescent lights here and there), smelled strongly of bleach and, wouldn’t you know, it all sorts of sprouts. I made boxes for shipping, stuck labels on lids of sprout containers, stuck stickers on the bags for bean sprouts, and helped soak big bags of alfalfa seeds. I remember getting my first check — $30! — and feeling so proud of myself. It was the 1990s and I think I may have used some of that money to buy one of my first CDs.

After that, I spent the rest of my teenage years working as a dishwasher then a waitress at a few restaurants. My favorite was the Swiss-American one (my hometown was settled by Swiss immigrants — we sold a lot of knockwurst and rosti potatoes, but mostly American food) where I always made more money in tips if I wore my hair in two braids. 🙂

30. Kate S. says:

My very first job was babysitting a little boy named Donnie. He was in second grade, I was in seventh, I was cool and popular, he was a complete glasses-wearing, sci-fi fanatic nerd. I’m ashamed to say I was embarrassed to know him. But now I wish I knew him still today so I could apologize for behavior that I am sure was heinous.

My first job to be proud of came in eighth grade when over a particularly enterprising year, I made several hundred dollars selling the artwork I created in art class (a.k.a. my homework) to less artistically talented students to hang in their lockers. I’m still surprised how successful that venture was. Nine years and $40K later I have a Masters in art and I’ve not created or sold a piece of artwork in eight years. Awesome.

31. Carol Ann says:

From my daughter’s blog:

Office assistant (Rhodes College work/study – Menial tasks at a continuing education facility, during which I fell asleep in the supply closet. To be fair, this place taught classes like “Make a Scrapbook of Your Pet” and “Italian Renaissance Paintings in Which the Subjects Are Clothed”. Also, it was finals. FINALS. I only fell asleep in the supply closet once. I swear.

32. candace says:

Video rental store. There was a porn section closed off like a dressing room. We had a game where we would throw stuff up at the ceiling fan in hopes of getting something to fly into there and startle the dirtbags. Succeeded often! Oh, teenage years.

33. Marion says:

My first job was working as a cashier at a local hardware store. I hated working the register and eventually talked (weaseled) my way into working in shipping. For some odd reason they eventually trusted a 17 year old girl to help place orders. It was the best job I ever had because my best friend in HS also worked there. I still stop by every time I go to visit my parents.

34. Pati Gulat says:

My first job was as a Secretary’s secretary when I was 15 for the Air Force Personell office when my dad was stationed in Izmir, Turkey . I was the one who told the kids they couldn’t apply cos they were under 16 !! I lied about my age to get the job then proceeded to type everything wrong and hide the wrong stuff under all the stuff I did right ! LOL ! I was there all of a month and a half ….

35. Kelly M says:

Other than chores and babysitting, my first job was for the State of Alaska repairing and shelving books at the state library. If I’d had the personality to keep an insanely boring (except when I hid in the stacks reading) job, I’d be retired with full medical benefits and a big-ass monthly retirement check! But I went to college instead.

36. paula says:

my first real job was at shoppers drug mart as a friendly cashier. i was so lucky making over minimum wage by about 20 cents…$3.85! anyway it was boring but the last year i worked there a cute new store walker was hired. he was kind of a jerk though and was annoyed at me because i couldn’t remember a customer’s purchase – someone he had been watching and thought had pocketed some batteries or something. fast forward 26 years later, that store walker is now a seasoned cop and we’ve been married for 23 years! best job ever 😉

37. Jessi says:

When I was around 10 or 11 I cleaned in our small-town beauty salon once a week. I primarily unwraped papers from the rollers used for perms. It was the 80’s…lots of perms going on! Inevitably the big sink full if rollers/papers was accompanied by wet goopy towels and bowls of mixed dyes and various other smelly concoctions….not to mention the HAIR. Oh dear lord the hair. I made $3 per cleaning session.

38. Evalyn says:

Between my Junior and Senior years of high school I worked in the school library repairing books for $1.40 an hour. My most favorite job – ever. I had the library to myself, virtually no supervision and all those books.

39. Shauna says:

I sold shoes at a local shoe store. Similar to that of Al Bundy in the show Married With Children, only ours was in a strip mall, not an actual real mall. Our best selling items were old lady nursing shoes and uber country cowboy boots. Everyone ran to the front when the cowboy boot looking customer came in because the boots sold for WAY more than the nursing shoes and we worked on commission. It was a fun job. The manager liked me and these other two workers, so he always scheduled us on his Monday night shift and ordered pizza for all of us. We had a blast those nights.

40. Lita says:

Iwas the only non-Thai person working in a small Thai restaurant in San Antonio, Texas.

Later that year the owner entered me into a Thai beauty pageant at a Thai community festival as her restaurant’s representative. Again, the only non-Thai person around. I stuck out. I did NOT win. Talk about awkward teen years.

41. Annie says:

My first non-babysitting job was working at an ice cream store. I got the job because my friend worked there and I think I made it for a couple of weeks, maybe a month. I remember eating so many of the little chocolate wafers we were supposed to use for mouse ears on the Mickey-Mouse-ish Sundaes that we had to tell customers that we couldn’t make that particular item anymore. Why did I leave? I hated mopping.

42. Auntiepatch says:

My sister & I (twins) worked in the apricot sheds the summer after we turned 12 cutting and laying apricots on drying trays. We were paid .50/box and lasted 2 weeks. The work wasn’t bad but the flies, the high temp., and the weight of the boxes was too much. Our next job was working as a ushers in the local walk in theatre. It was cool in the summer and warm in the winter and we could watch the movies for free and eat all the popcorn we wanted.
    One night when my sister was working the aisles and I was working the snack bar, an elderly man bought a large coke and a large popcorn. He then walked down the aisle to the expensive seats without waiting for my sister’s assistance. The movie had already started and it was dark. He sat in the only seat in the house WITHOUT a back, flipped over backwards, and threw popcorn and coke all over the other patrons within three rows! My sister got him into another chair and raced up the aisle to the snack bar and got him another coke and popcorn. After returning to the snack bar, she told us what had happened and almost laughed herself to death. She could see it coming before she could get to the man but she just wasn’t fast enough. She still laughs when she tells anyone about it. The old guy wasn’t hurt and he became a regular who always asked for Kathy’s assistance in finding a suitable seat.

43. carolyn says:

Besides babysitting, my first job at 15 was selling custom leather jackets out of a van at the local Sunday fleamarket. Well, sort of. The man we worked for sold custom leather jackets, but we sold the other crap he brought to supplement the jackets. He did sell some of his surplus leather stuff, but mostly it was polyester “dress” shirts and men’s underwear. You know, the 6 pairs for $2 crap. He was a complete jerk, but my friend and I felt so grown up working there. We arrived at 6:00 in the morning to help set up the tent, and left after we helped pack up after the 5:00 closing. The best part – we made $20 each! I ended up quitting to get a more regular gig at McDonald’s …

44. Shirley says:

My first high school summer job in the 1960s was at the Entomology Laboratory in Belleville. I worked for a doctor who studied aphid reproduction, and my job first thing every morning was to count and smush all the baby aphids that had hatched over the previous 24 hours. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of baby aphids per day, all summer long. To all the gardeners out there, you’re welcome!

45. Sarah says:

My dad started his own company when I was 14 or 15, so naturally I was an integral member of our cute little assembly line (Dad, Mom, me). Eventually I was put in charge of some menial data-entry task.

My first real job (one that earned me more than just an allowance) was at a pie pantry. At the end of the shift, employees could take home day-old pies. Well, they weren’t all TRUE pies, but they were still DELICIOUS. I ate pie everysingleday.

46. Kristin says:

Local ice cream shoppe, with a greasy diner. I was only 14, so I needed a gig within biking distance. They started me out bussing tables & washing dishes, then I was taught how to run the fryer for the frozen french fries & onion rings; sometimes I’d get to make a grilled cheese. At the front counter, we’d take walk-up patrons & scoop cones (real, hard ice cream). During training, the boss taught us portions by having us weigh cones & cups to make sure we weren’t over-serving! We also had lovely booths with vinyl seats (some with duct-tape repairs, of course); sometimes I got to wait tables! Nobody liked to let me make the sundaes, though, ’cause I’d work so hard to make it look perfect the other orders would all melt before they got to the table. I still remember exactly what that place smelled like…

47. John C says:

When I was 17, I was a Junior Forest Ranger…and I still have my yellow hard hat.

48. Rebecca says:

A paper route, I shared with my brother.

49. Kathy says:

After babysitting for $.25 an hour, I got hired to teach swim classes at the local pool. I had to take a class to get qualified and that probably cost more than I made as an instructor. But it was really fun working with the minnows, tadpoles and other little kids. When they make the big leap from sputtering to actually relaxing and letting themselves float, it’s a big thrill as the teacher. I still remember that, 50 years later!
    The funniest job experience what when I worked for the company that had the license to produce the Peanuts toys and gear. It was Christmas season, and I was in customer service, with both Neiman Marcus as a client and a little tiny college in the boonies. I got a call from Neiman M. that their order arrived with only one giant Snoopy, now could I do that to them!!!? They had ordered two dozen, and had customers waiting! Oh, no, the next call was from the little college, which had ordered one, and was wondering what to do with the truck out front with 24 giant snoopies in the back!! And these were giant! About the size of a 10 year old! The keypuncher had transposed the orders!!!