What’s for Dinner?

So.  I kind of feel like I’m being cheated here.  You people know what I’m eating on any given night, any given week.  All you have to do is click on my This Week’s Menu and there it is for God and everyone to see.  Karen’s eatin’ beets and will think she is dying tomorrow.  Until she remembers she ate beets.

But … what about you?  What are you people eating?  Just because I come up with, plan and shop for an entire weeks worth of meals doesn’t mean I don’t want a little help every once in a while.

I, like most other people get into a rut with preparing dinners.  Most people have 5 main meals in heavy rotation.  Think about it.  I bet you have 5 standbys that you go to all the time.  Then, if you’re like me, once every week or two you slip in a new recipe.  This sometimes results in a great new recipe to add into the rotation, but more often than not it results in a really bad dinner and a lot of snacking that night.  I find steel cut oatmeal (groats) is good in an “I only ate 3 bites of my dinner because it was so disgusting” pinch.

So … lemme have it.

What are YOU eating for dinner this week?

You’ll notice I strategically planted this post one day prior to posting my weekly menu, so as not to influence you.

Have a great weekend.  Go out and do something!   Or not.  Whatever floats your groats.

1. Cheryl K says:

Tonight (Friday) in honor of St. Patrick’s I put a corned beef in the crock pot, boiled up some potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage; we’ll have leftovers tomorrow! Wednesday night I whipped up a tasty Chicken Enchilada Casserole (flour tortillas layered like lasagne with chicken, then a mixture of chili beans, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, onion and salsa, then cheese. We ate on that for two days. Tuesday I pulled a homemade hamburger, tomato, sweet pepper and elbow pasta casserole out of the freezer, with that we had green beans. Monday we (once again) had leftovers. Paprika-ed pork chops, sauteed spinach, shallots and raisins. I don’t really plan menus ahead. And our go-to-coz-Cheryl-don’t-really-wanna-cook-meal is scrambled eggs, pre-cooked turkey sausage, grits (we’re Georgia folks) and biscuits. Or fried egg sandwiches…my sweetie is so easy!

2. Carole McGinnis says:

Well, I made cashew chicken last night from my #1 blogger. I like to cook a few recipes on the weekend and make extra to freeze. AFter a few weeks you have several leftovers in the freezer.

Chili freezes well and you can eat it alone or make sloppy joe sandwiches. I love any recipe from Pioneer Woman. Martha Stewart has a recipe for Tomatillo Chicken that is wonderful – I make it all the time. Here is a great crockpot recipe that is healthy and delicious. I think it is a Weight Watcher recipe. You can use the meat for tacos or over rice.

1½ cup(s) fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
    ¼ cup(s) apple cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp ground cumin
    1 tsp paprika, mild-flavored, preferably smoked paprika
    1 tsp table salt
    ½ tsp black pepper, fresh ground
    ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, or more to taste
    3 pound(s) raw lean flank steak, two 1½-lb steaks, trimmed of any fat
    2 medium red onion(s), thinly sliced into rings
    2 large sweet red pepper(s), seeded, cored and chopped
    2 medium apple(s), peeled, cored and shredded through the holes of a box grater
    3 medium stalk(s) celery, thinly sliced
    3 medium garlic clove(s), minced
    ½ cup(s) cilantro, leaves, packed, chopped
    Whisk the broth, vinegar, cumin, paprika, salt, black pepper and cayenne in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Submerge the meat, then add the onions, red peppers, apples, celery and garlic, making sure the vegetables are under, between, and over the steaks.
    Cover and cook on low until the meat is fork-tender, about 8 hours.
    Transfer the meat to a cutting board; set aside for 10 minutes. Shred the meat with two forks, pulling it into strands along the grain. Return to the slow cooker; stir in cilantro. Set the slow cooker on warm and serve within 4 hours. Yields about 1¼ cups per serving.

3. Sue says:

Ooh, lots of good ideas on here.
    We’ve (I’ve) gotten out of the habit of cooking all the time but I’m trying to get back to it. I’ve actually cooked a couple of times this week (!!)
    I made roast chicken with a Madras curry rub and coconut lime brown rice (hubby actually did the rice. We sort of winged it from scratch without a recipe-needs work, but edible)
    Then, I found this cashew chicken recipe on the web-from some blog or other, I think… ;) and made that, and served it over some of the leftover rice. I can never leave well enough alone, so I modified it a bit by adding pineapple and that was really pretty good. I’m pretty sure we’ll do that again, probably without the pineapple…
    Then, leftovers and take-and-bake pizza…
    NO idea what we’ll do tonight. Or tomorrow…

4. Mariaurora says:

Rice and beans…pink, red, white, pinto or black are the stars of my goto meals. Usually accompanied by chicken, pork or beef in some sort of fastly whipped up manner(fried, baked, broiled). Whatever I cook, it has to be ready quickly. My other go to meal? Spaghetti with a red sauce and ground beef, the meal that cooks itself in 30 minutes or less!

5. Rhonda "SmartyPants" says:

Sorry, Karen, your menus have been inspirational. I even started making my own menus for the last few weeks and found them to be inspirational, too. Having a menu also saves worry/money/work/time and makes for easy frugal living.

However, what we have here is a plethora of recipes, hints, and websites that will keep me busy for months. Thank you to everyone who shared. I was looking forward to sharing, too, but decided to just take this time around. Not selfish, really; just so impressed there was no need to post any more menu items. My hat is off to you all, even the “5-days-in-a-row Cereal Eater” for being so honest.

6. Jeannine says:

What fab ideas! I can see I’ll have to try roasted broccoli again- my last effort was too dry. Must say though that roasting veggies is my favorite way to go usually. Our stand-by meal at the start of the week is whole roast chicken accompanied by roast vegetables- usually a combo of eggplant, onions, and whole baby bell peppers. (Karen- I’ve been saving up chicken carcasses to try your stock recipe!)
    With the leftover cooked chicken I make enchiladas, crepes or a pasta dish later in the week. This week it was chicken, mushroom, leek crepes with tarragon wine sauce.
    It’s wet and windy here on the Oregon coast, so we’ve been having lots of stews and chowders. On Monday we had a curried fish stew over brown basmati rice. Last week it was an onion chowder with potatoes, corn and chunks of steelhead.
    This weekend, even though it’s St. Paddy’s day, I’ll be making an African stew with chicken thighs, winter squash and peanut butter with lots of heat.
    One of our favorite winter meals is from a Canadian TV chef, James Barber, known as the “Urban Peasant.” I loved his show and was a big fan of his. I love making his Cabbage Potato Soup-it’s so peasanty! Just saute 4 slices of diced bacon, add a shredded cabbage and 3 diced potatoes(I also add an onion) and cook in the bacon fat a bit, then add water or broth and cook a long time till the cabbage is pretty much meltingly soft. Start this early and enjoy the warm, savory fragrance filling your home. And laugh at the rain hitting your windows!

7. Noel says:

I make obscene amounts of Indian food every night (^_^)

8. Here’s a couple I like:
    Puy Lentils with Sausage and veggies – fry up some chopped onions and garlic, add some chopped veggies (I used carrots and celery), add some stock and some rinsed puy lentils and a can of pureed tomatoes with chile and herbs. Cook until the lentils are tender. Add cooked sausages and some glugs of Worcester sauce at some point half way through-ish. I usually add hot spices or even a few glugs of hot sauce – mmmm. The stock disappears into the lentils so I sometimes have to add more when I heat up leftovers. I took this as lunches most days this week.

Tacos! – I buy a couple of turkey legs at the shop and cook them up in the slow cooker with whatever . The meat goes really tender and lovely. I shred it with forks into a big tupperware and pour the juices over the top. When I’m ready for dinner I heat a couple of tortillas, heat some shredded turkey, add whatever else I have handy such as leftover rice, sliced cheese, shredded cabbage or whatever veg I have already steamed, sour cream, salsa, hot sauce. mmmm

Reading back it’s pretty clear that I like to cook ahead so that I can assemble dinner quickly when I arrive home ravenous.

9. Tasha says:

Well, I have no memory of the last week (sleep deprived), but the meal board in the kitchen assures me that we ate/will eat:

S: Banh Mi (Vietnamese subs) No clue of the recipe, since my husband makes it. But yum!
    M: Fragrant Lentils (google it!) with naan from the Indian restaurant up the street
    T: Southwestern Beans and Cornbread (super yummy)
    W: Hedgehog night – sliced up kolbassa, broccoli, and potatoes sliced very thinly, but not all the way through, baked with a daub of butter and salt and pepper.
    Th: supposed to be reheated roasted veg quiche, but was in reality White Spot burgers
    F: homemade pizza – best night of the week.
    S: nothing this week, since we are flying to Halifax. Since it will likely be pizza in the Toronto airport, I am kind of regretting the burgers.

Hope some of it is helpful

PS: This makes us look like we rarely eat meat. Nope, just happened to be a lighter meat week.

10. Terri J says:

We only eat brisket about once a year. When we do, it ends up being the centerpiece of most dinners for nearly a week – and this is the week. Since tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day, we’ll be having corned beef, cabbage, carrots and potatoes with dill rye bread. That’s good for a second night. The third night it transforms into reuben sandwiches on toasted rye, with sauerkraut. Fourth night, corned beef hash. The rest of the week will probably be salad, as we try to cleanse and make amends…Got so carried away with the corned beef, I almost forgot – tonight is Tuscan bean soup. No corned beef involved.

11. Beth W. says:

Wow – what a wealth of ideas!!! I have to get with it!!! Most of my regulars are fast since I am physically challenged when it comes to standing in the kitchen over a pot!! (used to love to cook and bake – but an injury to my back and diagnosis of several auto-immune diseases have changed things up a bit) but I am not down for the count – just have to be inventive — one of our favorites is Taco Tuesday (or whatever night…) heat up some black beans and/or refried beans and get some diced tomatoes, chop some black olives, get out some shredded cheese and sour cream and salsa with tostadas or flour tortillas – and we sit down and build our own “tacos” — kids love it cause they get involved with creating their favorite food, hubby loves anything Mexican!!! So I also tend to create Tex-mex dishes out of whatever is on the menu – enchiladas (made easier w/canned chicken — don’t hate because it’s not fresh – we do what we can!!!) and I usually end up at least one night making Turkey Sausage with rice and broccoli or new potatoes if they are looking good! Then there’s the nights when I have meat (pork, chicken or red meat!!) and am digging in the cookbooks or on the PC looking for ideas and my hubby designates those nights as “Guinea Pig” nights because he never knows what I am going to come up with!! We’ve had some successes and some questionable meals (not going to call them failures since we all came out alive, and the dogs were thrilled!!!). But when I really have a bad physical day – it’s Shells and Cheese – cause my 11 y/o daughter can do most of it herself, and it makes her proud to be able to “cook” dinner so it’s it all bad!!
    And we do a lot of pasta – especially on those nights when I’ve forgotten to defrost something – we live about 15 miles from town so I have get creative – so baked ziti or some other baked type of casserole that I can whip up!!! Thanks for all the ideas!!!

12. Colette says:

Last night was Kimchi and beef stirfry with bean thread noodles to soak up the juices. The night before was Cocktail weenies with broccoli and cheese sauce. I think mini frittatas came into play at some point too. But that’s as far back as I can remember, I don’t plan out meals until the day I cook them, partly because I’m a little lazy, partly because I have to carry all my food home on my bike, so I can’t buy anything but spices in bulk and partly because we eat quite a bit of meat (boy-o is low-carb) I’ve found that it’s cheaper if I’m not choosy about what sort of animal I’m going to eat that day.

13. Laura says:

I tried a new soup recipe this week – with a few modifications. (The boyfriend will tell you I can’t NOT tweak a recipe.) This is supposedly an excellent hangover remedy. I turned down the heat by using ancho chile powder.

A Gringo’s First Posole
    Makes ~5 servings
    1 Tbs grapeseed oil
    1 medium onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
    1 tsp toasted cumin
    2-3 Tbs dried ancho chile powder
    28 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
    4 cups chicken broth or stock
    2 cups chicken meat (just pluck a store-bought rotisserie chicken to make life easier)
    15 oz can white hominy
    S&P to taste
    Thinly sliced radish, lime wedges and fresh cilantro to garnish tableside. (Some recipes also call for avocado and/or Tabasco to garnish. It’s your soup – go nuts.)

Saute the aromatics in oil until soft. Add the spices and saute another 30 seconds until fragrant. Add tomatoes and broth and bring up to a simmer. Add chicken and hominy and cook until heated through. Taste for seasoning. Serve with aforementioned accoutrements.

14. trinity says:

not every night, just the last two………

15. Dawn says:

I don’t really plan meals, just buy mix n match ingredients and see what we feel like through the week!

My go-to meals are nice and simple:
    -Spagetti Bolognese
    -Chilli con Carne & Rice
    -Garlic & Ginger Chicken with udon noodles (invented at home after eating something similar at Wagamama’s!)
    -Carbonara (dead simple – Spagetti, egg yolks, handful of Parmesan, bacon)
    -Roasted veggies (with or without chopped up sausages, but always including broccoli ;) )
    -Mini garlic-bread pizzas (Frozen garlic bread slices grilled, fast stir-fried peppers, mushrooms & onions piled on top, grated cheese on top of that and back under the grill for a minute!)
    -Cheese on toast (with grated garlic and chilli)
    -Jacket spuds
    -Bruschetta (despite my other half not being a fan of tomatoes he loves this!)
    -Enchiladas

When we can be bothered to put more slightly more effort in, home-made pizza, lasagne, meatballs, Stilton mushrooms with lemon rice, and Marmite & Mustard Chicken make it into the common meals too. :)

16. Jake says:

All you cooking types make me tired :) I am a seriously challenged cook, having ruined jello once, it’s my family joke as in “did you hear when my Mom messed up jello”. Making a menu and sticking to it is not my thing. I do however wield a mean can opener and should buy shares in Campbells and Heinz. I am always trying to get on track with this so reading all these ideas is great for me. Keep all the menus coming ladies and gents, the easier the better. My indoor plumbing will thank you.

17. joanne says:

Mom is upstairs… when she cooks, it is meat, baked potato and veg. Meat is usually lamb chops (broiled) or pork chops (shake ‘n baked).

When I cook, my standards are risotto with veg of the season, enchiladas, baked ziti with sausage, shimp scampi (sounds fancy, but is really fast), & beef stew.

Good luck!

18. Beth says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who freaks out after eating beets.
    Hopefully the upcoming week will involve cheddar ale soup, because that’s our purpose on earth.

19. trinity says:

Two glasses ChocoVine and an apple w/gouda.

20. Jennifer says:

Equal amounts of:

Diced Potatoes
    Chopped Onions and some garlic
    Herbs, and anything else you think would be good for taste

Chicken broth to cover.

Cook until the Pot’s are tender.

Mush it up a bit. Leave chucks, or puree. It’s all good.

Add a block of cream cheese (reg, 1/3rd or Fat free…it’s all good)

Stir to combine, and melt cream cheese. S/P to taste.

TOTALLY AWESOME when the larder is empty. Kids LOVE IT.

So good. Really.

21. Laura Bee says:

Tonight should be good…loaded the slow cooker up with beef stroganoff. My chef hubby made it a few weeks ago, thought I would try to make it in the slow cooker. Fingers crossed that it’s almost as good as his.
    Trying your cashew chicken Sunday. Thanks for the wealth of recipes, as if you didn’t do enough to keep me busy – now I have to look through all of these ideas!

22. Karen says:

Hi Karen…I love reading your meal plans and find them inspiring. Also, I adore your chickens. What a treat to have fresh eggs! :-)

Anyway, our meals this week…We had leftover homemade chicken vegetable soup on Monday with little multi-grain ciabatta rolls from the New French Bakery (a great place to get Artisan bread here in the Twin Cities). Then I made my a variation of my mother-in-law’s goulash recipe on Tuesday night after work, and we ate goulash and either a tossed lettuce salad or fresh cantaloupe or pineapple on Wednesday and Thursday as well…I’m so thankful that my husband doesn’t mind leftovers.

Tonight, I’m thawing some chicken breasts for a simple meal of grilled chicken, baked potatoes, and steamed broccoli and cauliflower…though, I’m tempted now to try roasting the veggies instead of steaming them.

Karen – I do think you should roast them! Cauliflower I know is good roasted. Any vegetable really. Not sure why I never did broccoli. Clearly there’s something wrong with me. ~ karen

23. Erica M. says:

Tonight – ranch flavored kale chips, roasted chick peas (this is an experiment, we might hate it) and spicy chicken boca patties.

24. Reg says:

Wow. All the above are meal plans for the next while. Thank you.

Today I’m having sticks and seeds for lunch. To explain better, my sis is a vegan and I’m taking her lunch at a vegan restaurant, therefore sticks and seeds.
    I’m kidding really….almost…sort of.
    What can I say, I’m a meatasorous in moderation of course.

Reg. I’m all for eating a little bit of everything. Except red meat. I wholeheartedly agree with eating a LOT of red meat. ~ karen

25. Jeanne says:

Baked foil pouch salmon with cilantro, shallots, tomatoes, garlic and olive oil. Place your salmon on a square piece of foil, ad tomatoes, cilantro, etc…..drizzle olive oil, fold up so ingredients are completely covered. Bake in 400 degree over for 25 minutes…..yummy & healthy.

26. Jessy says:

I made some really good chicken last week and after seeing your post about maple syrup, I thought about you. I don’t know how you feel about chicken thighs, but I am sure you can do this with any part of the chicken (or your chicken cubes). The sauce isn’t sweet or too mustardy, it’s just yummy.

Man Pleasing Chicken
    1.5 lbs (ish) chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
    1/2 cup Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1 Tblsp rice wine vinegar
    Fresh rosemary (optional, it is good without it too)

Heat oven to 450, mix mustard, maple syrup and vinegar, pour over salt and peppered chicken thighs in a square glass pan; make sure chicken is thoroughly coated with mixture. Cook for 40 minutes, basting with mustard mixture half way through. Let rest 5 minutes and sprinkle with fresh rosemary.

Credit to: http://www.wittyinthecity.com/2011/08/man-pleasing-chicken/

I made this with sautéed brussel sprouts, which I don’t recommend for you, because even if you tried my recipe, you would not like them. And roasted asparagus.

27. charissa says:

This week’s been a bit chaotic due to visits and travel, but here’s what we’ve been chowing on…

Sunday : Chicken and dumplings (and roasted veg)
    Monday : Leftovers
    Tuesday : More leftovers (but different ones!)
    Wednesday: Szechuan carrot soup (yes, YOURS!) with pan-fried green onion pancakes
    Thursday : slow-cooker beef bourguignon with colcannon + whatever veg was left in the fridge (http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/09/slow-cooker-beef-bourguignon-recipe.html)
    Friday : pulled-pork w/ corn bread, sliced cukes.

I usually kind of forget about it during the summer, but oh I heart my slow-cooker in the winter months!

28. Melody Madden says:

Wow, I’m blown away by all these great recipes. I’ve bookmarked a bunch of them. My favourite new meals are coming out of The Earth To Table cookbook by Jeff Crump. I first heard about it here on Karen’s site and it is a total find. The pizzas are incredible as is almost everything else I’ve tried. Highly recommended.

29. Melissa says:

Here are my eats for the week:

(Disclaimer: I like left overs and don’t mind eating the same things over and over. I try to stay 85-95% paleo compliant so I need to make a lot and have it on hand so I don’t get hangry and eat bread out of hanger)

Breakfast for the week:
    Zucchini Breakfast

Lunches:
    Jamaican Jerk Stir fry
    Lions Head Meatballs
    Spicy Zucchini Side dish:

Dinners:
    Spicy Chicken and Bacon Poppers

Twice Baked Sweet Potato
    Thai Curry Chicken and Cashews

And probably a slow cooker pot roast and cole slaw some night if I run out of left overs….

30. Angie says:

That is TOO FUNNY that you said that about the beets and dying! Last week, I roasted red beets and my hubby flipped the hell out the next day because of… well, you know! Last night, I made Gold Beets – hopefully there will be no such drama today… we shall see!

31. Trysha says:

Tacos. We do veggie burger tacos, (slice the burgers) topped with caramelized onion, jalapeño and mushrooms. Top it all with tomato, cilantro and avocado. The caramelized onion, japs and mushrooms really take it beyond boring tacos.

32. Diane says:

Wow…it’s like recipe heaven in here. I don’t really cook but applaud each and every one of you, even the ones that listed cereal as a meal. Last week I made brownies, veggie stirfry, veggie taco bake and nachos with homemade taco chips. And I love any kind of breakfast food, pancakes, french toast, eggs. Yesterday I made scrambled poached eggs…lol :P

33. Linzy says:

Pork potstickers. We even make the dough from scratch, and it is our favorite thing to eat, ever. The rest of the week doesn’t even matter compared to potstickers.

34. Patti says:

My weekly menu is:

Tonight: My variation of the Spanish Chicken Bake (read reviews and swap out corn and replace with peppers. EASY!)http://www.food.com/recipe/spanish-chicken-rice-bake-31516

Saturday: Stuffed peppers and garlic green beans

Sunday: Curried vegetable stew

Monday: Home-made pizza

Tuesday: Fajitas

Wednesday: Chicken, carrots, pepper and red onion with spaghettini and pesto

Thursday: Shake and bake chicken, creamy green beans, rice and mixed veggies

Friday: Mac ‘n Cheese OR Out for dinner! Yay!

35. Shauna says:

it’s nice here in Alberta, plus 7, so I BBQ homemade burgers one night, steaks… great big ribeye’s the next. And no gas or propane here, I BBQ over the open fire. Maybe it wasn’t quite warm enough, when the marshmallows freeze before you can get them on the stick, it’s borderline weather. Then I ordered Pizza, and probably going to have stew tomorrow. Nothing fancy this week. but am definitely going to try the roasted brocolli after reading. I made cauliflower once where it was steamed for a bit. then tossed in the frying pan with toasted pine nuts, bcn bits, lemon juice and chili flakes….. it was amazing! My next weeks menu is whatever the wonderful mouse in sunny Florida will cook for me!!

36. Hi Karen,

I am truly in awe of all these people who plan menus and then actually cook them.

When I get cook books out and look through recipes, my husband refers to it as “theoretical cooking”. Apparently, my follow through is a bit sketchy.

My weekly menu goes something like this:

4pm: “Oh, crap. I should make something for us to eat for dinner tonight. I forgot to thaw anything. What could I cook frozen?” or “My hubby is traveling, these chips and a glass of red wine look good for dinner” or the ever popular, “Thinking about making dinner makes my tired. I’m in the mood for take out.”

I am living vicariously through all of you:-)

• Sue says:

haha, You sound like I usually do these days. Once upon a time I planned, etc, and cooked every night. I got out of the habit a few years back when I was working a tough job and hubby was traveling extensively and gone for weeks at a time, and have never gotten it back. We ate a lot healthier that way, I’m trying to get back to it but so far it’s not going that well…

37. Janie says:

A favorite roasted summer veg is Okra. Many people don’t like okra (slimmy, etc.)…but try this. Roll in olive oil, salt and pepper it and roast it like you would aspar. or broc.—try to use small okra and leave them whole with the caps on. yummy nummy!

38. christine says:

we only have one meal thats is in heavy rotation, it might even happen twice a week… poached or over easy eggs (from our duck usually) with some sort of veggie, it could be beet greens which is my fave with some tabasco :P or cauliflower, brussels sprouts are amazing with eggs, dipped right into the yolks. the strangest (or what eeks other people out the most) is probably stewed okra with a poached egg on top, to die for. if you cut the okra lengthwise instead of the traditional wheels it wont be nearly as slimy. i had to experitment with cuts to get my husband to like it!

39. Melanie Marie says:

I am going to try corned beef for the first time. Also on the shopping list is wonton wrappers for crab ragoon, and while the small fryer is out it is required to slice a few white & sweet potatoes. If it stays nice in the Midwest we will probably grill hamburgers again (3rd time this week). I’ve missed the grill. Yay spring!

40. jane says:

My 11 year old son declared himself a vegetarian 3 months ago. He doesn’t cook so I have been working hard to keep that dream alive. Last Sunday I made this yummy salad: http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2010/02/warm-salad-month-wild-rice-butter-bean.html
    “My Fella” who reminds me of “your Fella” said that this dish could persuade him to become a vegetarian,that is saying a lot cause he really likes meat. It is tasty and if you plan ahead to soak the beans it is not that hard to make.

41. Ginny says:

I finally got my fella to like asparagus a couple of years ago. So roasted asparagus tossed in olive oil with lemon pepper is my go to veggie. Last night we had it with couscous with pine nuts and baked chicken. I cut four slices of onion and place the chicken on top. I fill the cavity with more onion, some fresh thyme and lemon. I also put additional thyme under the skin with a couple pats of butter but you can use olive oil. I’ve never had a complaint from the fella when I make this meal. I use the leftover chicken to make homemade chicken pot pie the next day.

Just toss in the chicken with some potatoes and baby carrots (I usually steam them first so it will cook quicker.) and the leftover asparagus. Add cream of chicken soup until it coats everything and heat this in the microwave. I then make the pie crusts and line the bottom of a super deep dish pan I have. It’s not a true chicken pot pie without a bottom and top crust. (Ask your fella’s dad how he feels about that.) Put the filling in, top with the other crust and cut out a few steam holes or lines. Pop it in the oven until the top is brown and the “gravy” is bubbling. Let it sit for 10 minutes or until you can’t stand your fella’s whining anymore. Sit back and watch the joy that takes over your fellas face, or whoever you maybe feeding.

42. Susan says:

What? Where do you all get this energy? I run my own business in an out building on our property, have a 12 step, literally, commute. When I come up, I want someone to drop something to eat into my hands…What hope is there?
    Love this Karen..
    Thanks

43. Miranda says:

We don’t cook as often as I would like but this week I picked up some fresh crab legs from my local grocery and had them steamed and seasoned at the store. Then I just made a lemon- white wine-butter sauce and added some thin spaghetti, capers, and artichoke hearts. Served it with some crusty bread. Not the healthiest meal I’ve ever eaten but delicious, nonetheless…I also love a good pasta puttanesca or just a rotisserie chicken with salad and side veggies.

44. Mary says:

Tonight we are having white chicken chili with cornbread. Great recipe but it is getting rather warm here in middle America, so will probably be the last time for awhile.

45. Sally says:

Holy moly! Y’all ALL cook up a storm during the week. Am I the only schmoe willing to admit to making one very large pot of veggie soup and eating it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner until it’s gone? Well…let’s just say I know someone who did that this week.

46. ev says:

Just copied Kate Moore’s roasted broccoli recipe. What a great way to spiff up broccoli. Thanks Kate, and thanks Karen!

47. Karyn says:

Wow, I’m keeping this page!! My go tomreciepes that the whole family loves are: chicken enchiladas, chicken cooked however you like, red sauce mixed in with the sante fe philidelphia creame cheese, heated, then brush red sauce on the tortilla and roll chicken mixture in. Put in a row and pour red sauce all over then add shredded sharp cheddar cheese, cover with foil and bak for 20 min at 400! Yummy served with black beans with cumin and cilantro and of course a good margarita! Easy peasy!

Love also this easy chicken roll up. Flatten chicken breast, put cream cheese with chives and use any kind of panco bread crumbs on backside, roll up stick with tooth pick. Served with a salad with whatever veggies I have and our favorite roasted red potatoes. Cut them in 1/2 inch pieces, coat with salt, pepper and olive oil, put in pan on parchment paper and bake 20 min on 400, add bacon and Parmesan cheese to hot potatoes and whala! The perfect meal in 30 minutes!

48. Lyn says:

Last night:
    Roast Pork Tenrderloin
    Oven-roasted red potato wedges (leftover from another meal)
    Broccoli & carrots (steamed) with califlower & zuchini (oven-roasted

Wed:
    Chopped Salad w/leftover roast chicken
    Garlic Bread

Tuesday:
    Shrimp Jambalaya

Tonight, I don’t know yet, but tomorrow, Corned Beef, homemade Irish Soda bread, cabbage, potatoes. After all, I married a McCormick!

Am so enjoying your blog since I discovered it last month! (I was searching for info about chicken coops!)

49. Meagan says:

We always try to plan our weekly menu with one beef meal, one pork, one fish, one (or more) chicken and the rest vegetarian. Some of our favourite comfort dishes include lentil soup, borscht soup, Spanglish sandwiches, grilled chicken with Moroccan couscous or quintessential quinoa salad, Mark Bittman’s herbed salmon with green salad, sausage with potato salad and of course pancakes :-) I do hope pancakes make it into your dinner rotation this week. You do after all have some golden maple syrup to be consuming!