What’s the first album you bought?

When I was 12 years old I got my first album. I still have it.  And I’m really glad I do.

robin-williams-my-first-album

I thought about sharing this information when Robin Williams died but didn’t. I’m not sure why.

The album had a big sticker on it stating you had to be 18 years old to buy it.  I was not. And even putting on mascara and my best pair of Road Runners couldn’t convince anyone otherwise.

So Norm, my father, went to the store and bought it for me.

I take a strange sort of pride in the fact that my first album was a comedy album. It make sense for me really. You know. Because I’m funny. I mean, I’m not being particularly funny at this moment but …

I probably haven’t listened to this album since I was 16. I thought about listening to it when I, along with the rest of you, heard that Robin Williams had committed suicide. I will be listening to it this weekend. I have no idea if I’ll think it’s funny or sad or dated or timely. But I’m looking forward to finding out.

Now onto the first music album I bought.

I guess I’ve always had a thing for men that are sort of rough around the edges, and music that’s more small town than big city. I have no idea how we got there and definitely no idea why our parents let us, but I got my first music album on a trip to Buffalo with some highschool friends. You may notice I’ve spelled highschool as one word instead of the more socially acceptable two worded “high school”. That’s because it should be one word and I am rebelling against the two worded highschool spelling.

Anyhow, I had a certain amount of money to spend while I was in Buffalo and I’m sure if Betty had anything to do with it I was supposed to buy clothing, shoes or makeup. But I didn’t.

I bought this.

first-album-john-cougar

Want more STUFF like this?

Get my posts emailed to you daily.

John Cougar, as he was known then, is now John Mellencamp. I was lucky enough to interview him when I was an entertainment reporter. And he was just like I thought he would be. Relaxed, rough, with a smoker’s cough and a lot of swearing coming out of his mouth. Loved him.

You know what’s coming now. No. Not funny. Still no funny in this post. I don’t know what the hell. Meh. Sometimes it happens. No, what’s coming now is me asking you what YOUR first album was.

I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am to hear the answers.

Have a good weekend. And listen to something old.

signature2

1. Nancy says:

The [Young] Rascals: Time Piece.

2. Kelli says:

(hi from over on Twitter, Karen!) I was 13, hopelessly obsessed with Elton John (just the first of MANY lifetime obsessions to come), you know, the type of obsession where, if I missed hearing ‘Bennie & the Jets’ on the radio, I would sob for HOURS till it rotated back into play again. So I bought ‘Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,’ and spent days, nay MONTHS, listening to it over and over and over and over…(my poor parents!). I learned every word, every nuance, every guitar riff, every piano note. I made sure that I was–if not the most tuneful, then the loudest–of Elton’s imaginary backup singers. I even used GYBR for a class assignment in school, in which we had to choose a song and take it apart metaphorically. In front of everyone. Eek. But Bernie Taupin–lyricist extraordinaire–was perfect for that, wasn’t he?

Until that fateful day dad came to the basement (where our huge ‘hi fi’ stereo was located), picked up the album cover, read over the lyrics, and declared, “What is this crap? There’s stuff about lesbians, and sex, and drinking, and drugs on here!”

I was all: O___O. WUT.

Until then, I had lived in blissful ignorance of ALL of those things, having grown up in a small sheltered bubble of a town. So thanks Dad, for inadvertently cracking open the door to my loss of innocence! But I do owe my dad a huge debt of gratitude for being the music lover in our family, making me the very eclectic music lover that I am today. 🙂

So tell me grey seal, how does it feel…?

3. Suzan says:

The first album I bought was “Meet the Beatles”. I don’t remember anything I bought after that until I bought Crosby, Stills and Nash (their first album). I imagine my lack of remembering had a lot to do with the fact that this was in the 60s. (Yes, I am an elderly hippie.)

4. Lisa says:

I was in 4th grade and my first album was Elton John’s Greatest Hits. I, too, still have that album. I played it and played it back then and sang every song over and over. I haven’t listened to it since. Now I want to go out and buy a turn table (are they still called that?) and listen to it again.

5. Laura Bee says:

My first *albums* were from a box that someone brought to our house. I was about 9 or 10 I think. I picked out Pink Floyd – The Wall, the Grease & Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtracks and an Air Supply album. The box had multiple copies that were all wrapped still and may have been stolen now that I think of it.

I paid for my first tape a year or two later. Dire Straits – Brothers in Arms. I have worn out a copy or two since. I have a few copies just in case as well as the CD & record. 🙂

6. Bobbi says:

Jimi Hendrix Axis-Bold As Love

Bought it for the cover….google it.
    Loved the music, thankfully.
    He was a guitar master.

7. Lyn says:

Sonny and Cher “Look at Us” 1965. Wow, really dating myself. Also around the same time got the Beatles “Meet the Beatles” in MONO, didn’t even have a stereo. Anyone old enough to remember MONO. Anyone remember 4 track tapes, before 8 track tapes. Yikes, I’m old.

8. Julie K says:

1986…Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi. Sigh… 😉

9. Linda J Howes says:

First album I asked for and received as a gift from my brother for my thirteenth birthday, was Harry Nilsson’s The Point. If you have not seen the movie you absolutely must! It is as timely today as then and very pointnant, (I know the spelling is wrong) but more to the point it is all about just that. WATCH IT! The songs and story have stayed with me my whole life. http://youtu.be/0Xl50qKVkqE I still have it.
    The First album I bought was James Taylor, Sweet Baby James. still have it as well and still LOVE all of it.

10. chris says:

I bought tons of 45s, but the first full album? Well it had to be Elton John because I bought them all. So, whichever was his earliest. Loved him then and now. My favourite album of his (and one of my faves of all time) is Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy.

11. Rondina says:

OK. After looking at the comments, I realize that I am not the oldest person on the list and you have a lot of seniors who love you. I’m in good company.

12. Nancy says:

In a Gadda da vida by Iron Butterfly. Oh, how I loved it! I’m not sure how to spell it. But my 1st 45 made a bigger impression. Otis Redding: Sitting on the Dock of the Bay. My parents had one of those stereo, TV, radio combos and I would sit on the floor with my ear pressed against the speaker. For hours. Can’t believe I’m not deaf.

13. Beauty Labs says:

I will right away clutch your rss as I can’t in finding your email subscription link or newsletter service.
    Do you have any? Kindly permit me recognize in order that I could subscribe.
    Thanks.

14. Rose Petal says:

Carole King, Tapestry. I’ve bought in on a record, a cassette tape and now a CD.

15. kate-v says:

My first album was Calypso by Harry Belafonte. We all loved the calypso music and other folk type music. It was in the mid to late 50’s but I don’t know the year – I think I was 12 so it would have been ’57 – or so. I also liked comedians – bought Shelley Berman and Bob Newhart early on – but they were not my first.

16. AnnW in the US says:

John Mellencamp is single now. Broke up with Meg Ryan. You are single. Why don’t you interview him for the blog?

17. Sara says:

My first album was Donny Osmond Superstar. It came with a poster and I drove my mom crazy with my nonstop tuneless renditions of Puppy Love

18. Brenda says:

Bay City Rollers….their compilation album that came out in 1975. I was 9. I still have it.

19. Julie says:

10cc. Oh Donna. Can anyone remember that one, bought on a 45 record ,

20. Margaret Bouniol says:

The Who’s “Tommy”. It was a gift from a friend who won it in radio contest about 1970. Just yesterday…..

21. Christy Cramer says:

My first album was The Jackson Five’s first album, ABC. I roller skated to the store to buy it. Sadly, I don’t have it and don’t know when I lost it, but I loved it.

22. Aysha says:

No Jacket Required
    Phil Collins

23. sherri says:

It was either Working Class Dog by non other than Rick Springfield or Physical by Olivia Newton John. Can’t remember exactly.

24. Marti says:

BeeGees album. Well before Saturday Night Fever wore us all out on them. I saw them on late night TV and fell in love… with ROBIN, of all people.

25. DanniJ says:

Donny and Marie Going Coconuts 🙂 mom and dad had to replace it for me 3 times because i played it so much. Apparently i also thought they were my brother and sister since my name is Danni Marie lol. Still love them to this day, even my girls know them since i bought the Donny and Marie show box set on dvd. They think they’re hilarious.

26. Liz says:

David Bowie ChangesOne album was the first, followed by Supertramp Even in the Quietest Moments a week or two later. This is a good way to gauge the age demographic of your followers. 🙂

27. Gwen H. says:

“Fingertips” by Little Stevie Wonder. What a blast from the past.

28. Stan Nowak says:

I bought two; ‘Beautiful Noise’ by Neil Diamond and ‘Venus and Mars’ by Paul McCartney & Wings.