What’s Your Favourite Dinner?

It’s the age old question.  What would your last meal be?  Or a less electric chair way to think about it,  if you could only eat one dinner for the rest of your life, what would it be?  O.K.  Fine.  Plain and simple.  What’s your favourite meal?

For me … it would be a roast beef dinner.  Without the beef.  Actually, I like the beef, but it’s everything that goes with the roast beef dinner that I love.  I love the mashed potatoes and the gravy and the Yorkshire Pudding and the turnip and pickled beets and the fella’s broccoli casserole, and whatever else you can pile on the plate.  AND THE HORSERADISH!  Roast beef (a beef tenderloin would be my choice, narrowly beating out Prime Rib)  is really just a vehicle for the horseradish.

There are other dinners that I might think are tastier, or more impressive, but every time I think about my last meal (and since technically I’m a felon I think about it a lot) I always come back to a Roast Beef dinner.

The only thing missing from a roast beef dinner is stuffing.  And I’m workin’ on that.  I figured out how to stuff a meatloaf, I’m sure I’ll figure out  how to stuff a roast beef.

The other thing about the roast beef dinner is it’s an all season appropriate meal.  While hamburgers and corn on the cob scream summer, and chili con carne with cornbread harkens up images of a cold, wintery day … roast beef dinner (much like a roast chicken) is equally comfortable in spring, summer, autumn and winter.  Notice how I used the word autumn there?  It’s my preferred word for that time of year.

So you know what’s coming now don’t you?  I’m curious.  What’s your favourite quintessential 1980’s perfume?  Oscar De La Renta?  Obsession?  Anais Anais?

No.  That’s not what I’m curious about.

I am however, WILDLY curious about what your last meal would be.

Have a good weekend!  See you Monday.  Or … maybe before.  Yes.  I’m being cryptic.

1. Carol Hogan says:

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who thinks about what my death row dinner would be. When I bring it up in casual conversation, people think I’m weird.

2. Vanessa says:

I really have to stop looking at your site while I am Hungry… But since I am headed to the market on my way home from work, we will be having roast beef with roast potatoes, crisp green beans, homemade bread, scalloped corn and a vanilla cake with toasted marshmallow frosting. 🙂

3. Mondo says:

Filet Mignon medium rare, onion rings, corn bread, roasted broccoli finished with lemon zest and extra virgin olive oil, Cabernet Sauvignon and for dessert: devil’s food cake with white buttercream and Fosselman’s Cappuccino ice cream. then you could roll me to the electric chair.

My favourite steak used to be the filet, but now, NOW I can’t get enough of the Porterhouse. UNBELIEVABLE steak. Same thing, medium rare. Seriously good eating. ~ karen!

4. Kristin says:

Butternut squash soup with sage-infused browned butter
    Beef short ribs braised in red wine and port
    Haricot verts with garlic, chili flakes and roasted hazelnuts
    Mashed potatoes made with tons of butter and cream
    Creamed horseradish
    Chocolate-caramel pot de creme with fudge on the bottom and a bruleed top

5. Susan says:

Black bean chili with sour cream and scallions, flour tortilla crisps with melted cheese, homemade salsa, guacamole and spicy pickled carrots. And a regular Pepsi with lots of ice… Banana cream pie for dessert. Heart attack preferable to firing squad.

6. Dee G says:

A dozen or three oysters; fresh crusty bread and sweet butter with maldon salt for sprinkling; steak tartare – the real thing with a raw egg yolk, onions, capers and anchovies!that you mix yourself; angel food cake with chocolate frosting; champagne. But I might need a side of buttered noodles or yorkshire pudding or how about both! And finally, a cheese board with lots of choices and shortbread and a brandy or amaro. Mmmmmm.

7. Bonnie says:

By the way, pet peeve–people who won’t share recipes, especially if they talk about the dish and/or show pictures of it.

8. Bonnie says:

My last meal would be a dozen cold salty oysters on the half shell; icy cold beer in a frosted mug; real crawfish bisque with the stuffed crawfish tails; a New Orleans boiled seafood dinner–hot blue crabs, crawfish, and shrimp with potatoes, corn, mushrooms, sausage, artichokes, etc.; and rum pecan cake with whipped cream for dessert. All followed with a steaming cup of cafe au lait and B&B.

9. Brianne says:

My favorite meal would be a compilation of all my favorite things:

Salmon Onigiri
    Lobster bisque
    Lobster mac and cheese
    Cheddar biscuits (I have Red Lobster’s recipe)
    Gorgonzola encrusted filet
    Spiny lobster, grilled & brushed with butter
    Broccoli casserole (my grandma’s recipe! love it!!)
    Warm beignets with chantilly cream for dessert

10. susie says:

my 6 yr old boy love oven pancakes… just like your photo! we call them pannucakku (Finnish). maple syrup and butter!

11. Shauna says:

mmmm, I loooove Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding and am more on your side with it’s more about the yorkshire pudding & the gravy than anything else. We have it every year for Christmas – when our oven works and doesn’t ruin it like this year;)

12. Stacy says:

It’s gonna be Thanksgiving for me. Turkey, cornbread dressing, cranberry sauce, corn casserole and sweet potato casserole!
    And I personally think it’s hilarious the way I torture myself with this meal. I absolutely REFUSE to cook it any ol’ time of the year. It’s only to be cooked in November. And also for the Superbowl. Which may seem odd but it makes sense when you think about it. Football, family and friends….why not make it Super-Thanksgiving? We do. 🙂

13. Gayla T says:

I had to come back and read the posts after mine and I’m not disappointed. You can just pick one of these and post it and your work will be done for a long time. I thought there would be a constant running through but the only one I could even think to say is mashed potatoes. I forgot to say my fav perfume has always been White Shoulders. There’s been another from an off the wall company that does parties. It smells like sticking my nose in a newly opened rose and is called Cupid. I got mine as a gift and then ordered more but I guess it’s gone forever now. It smelled even better than Yankee Candle’s Roses. I do love anything lavender and I grow my own Patchouli in my little table top greenhouse. I just pick off a leaf and rub it on. That was my favorite scent in my hippy 60’s. Gone but not forgotten. LOL

14. Pati says:

Prime rib with LOTS of horseradish,homemade mac & cheese, stewed squash with lots of butter and onion, homemade yeast rolls & Commander’s Palace white chocolate bread pudding with rum sauce ! And my perfume of choice at that time was Coty’s Musk Oil…but not the spray…the little brown bottle with the little dauber ONLY ! ;o)

15. kelliblue says:

Oh, what a question! Mine would be a mashup of all things ‘midwestern’ (fork tender pot roast, scalloped potatoes, gravy) with a side of the sea (sushi, shrimp, lobster) and a chaser of Lagniappe (ettouffe, jambalaya, muffaletta). A very low-cal dish, to be sure. 🙂

Quintessential 80s scent? Liz Claiborne (in the cool triangle bottles) of course! Ha!

16. V. says:

Enchiladas & big plate of baked pasta just like my mom-in-law prepares for sunday lunch, yes, carbs all the way!!

V.

17. Belinda says:

My favourite would have to be mustard and cheese bread to start with and then my husband’s kangaroo hamburgers with a side a big fat homemade chips!
    Then for dessert it golden syrup dumplings with whipped cream.

18. Jaclyn says:

Filet Mignon cooked Medium Rare with mashed potatoes, buttery asparagus, spinach salad, and a glass of fine red wine. Mmmm, thanks Karen, I’m hungry now. 😉

19. Paulina J! says:

Ok. I thought I knew what I wanted to eat, but peer pressure has gotten to me. How about a feast with all the dishes listed and the company of course. That would be such an awesome party!!!

I’ll have anything my mom cooks. I’m from Dominican Republic so something along the lines of mangu, with fried cheese, yucca, eggs and salami. Yum!!!

Paulina J – How do you cook yucca? I think I’ve been told before but forget. Boil it? Bake it? Fry it? ~ karen!

• Paulina J! says:

You can boil it with some salt like you do potatoes and if you have any leftovers, you can fry it. I love fried yucca and it’s a great way to use leftovers.

20. This is hard….I LOVE food. I think I would have to start with french onion soup, then barbequed shrimp (the are just baked in lots of butter and herbs and sometimes beer but they are called BBQ shrimp in New orleans). Then I would like a nice salad of mixed greens, goat cheese and candied pecans with a balsamic vinaigrette . Then for the main course, beef tenderloin, my Mom;s homemade mac and cheese and sauteed spinach. Og course, some fresh baked biscuits or dinner rolls would accompany all of this. For dessert, either hot apple pie a la mode or chocolate souffle… or why not both? I would not be counting calories if it were my last meal.

If I had to eat the same meal everyday though….it would be good east coast pizza without a doubt.

21. Nicole2 says:

A good roast beef dinner is always amazing. We had a beef tenderloin roast just this Sunday. I’m so proud of myself because I bought a whole tenderloin, undressed it, cut the roast, tied it and cooked it. Then I cut and froze four filets mignons and the narrow part tenderloin. It was like I knew what I was doing!

My fave meal has and always will be spaghetti and homemade meat sauce with garlic bread. Ultimate comfort food for me. And red velvet cake for dessert.

Love’s Baby Soft in the seventies, graduating to Oscar in the eighties, had no time for perfume in the nineties, heck, I had 2 young kids, it was a good day if I showered! Tommy Girl Jeans in the 2000’s. Now it’s Marc Jacobs as my everyday perfume and the iconic Chanel no. 5 for special occasions. Later, when I’m in my eighties, I’m sure it will be some foul Avon perfume. There you go. My perfume repertoire. In case you wanted to know.

22. marilyn says:

how entertaining was that? people are sooo funny! bring on the crab and scallops for moi!brand new roasted mini potatoes roasted asparagus and a true blue caesar salad with some kind of fabulous bread and butter and maple creme brulee for dessert. and jean nate…love it my mom wore it sometimes. that along with l’air de temps were her scents and i still keep a bottle of l’air de temps just to smell now and then when i’m really missing her.this was fun Karen..thanks

23. Marsh says:

Roast beef, definitely! With lots of horseradish, mashed potatoes and gravy. Wore Halston in the 80’s along with Georgio and Anais Anais–just so you know. Can’t wear anything anymore–nose too sensitive–just sneeze and sneeze. Very sad. Saves me lots of money, though.

24. Tonia says:

I was thinking about it, and if I were to have my last meal, I don’t really think it would matter what I ate (as long as it wasn’t horrible of course). It would matter who I was with. If my sweet husband and my best friend Dan were with me, that’s all I would need. Thanks Karen for the fabulous post, as always!

25. Erin Hall {i can craft that} says:

RIBS!!! delicious pork ribs with roasted mini red potatoes and steamed sweet potato and steamed or grilled asparagus…. ummmm. I was going to make it tonight but then decided that I was going on strike until people start helping out around the house. but really i think I am punishing myself more because I really want them.

I have to admit I have never had horseradish, or Yorkshire pudding……

26. Nancy says:

OK..my favorite meal lately has been my own homemade hot wings with my homemade mac & cheese..but..then I would have to cook my last meal..that’s not fair is it..if it’s our last meal shouldn’t we have it cooked and served to us??

27. Val says:

My favourite meal is home made Holubtsi.

28. Lauren in Winnipeg says:

It has to be the tradional turkey dinner. Turkey, apple sausage stuffing, deeply browned roasted potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, brocolli cauliflower casserole, cole slaw, lemon dill carrots. Grand Marnier creme brulee.

29. jodie says:

last meal: lemonade, my mom’s fried chicken, my grandma’s homemade chicken noodles, fresh grilled corn on the cob with butter and salt. garden peas. Flourless chocolate torte.

fav 1980’s perfume: Love’s Baby Soft…it totally takes me to that legwarmers and banana-clip bad hair time.

30. Evalyn says:

Well, while it is true that I have seldom met a food I didn’t like, if I had to think of one taste on my tongue for the rest of eternity I would choose lemons.

31. Gayla T says:

Mom always let us pick the menu on our birthday and mine was meat loaf, scalloped potatoes, green beans chocolate cake and red jello w/fruit in it. However, once I left Kansas things changed so now it is bacon wrapped shrimp for starters, shrimp cocktail w/blue cheese dressing to dip them in.(dip in red seafood sauce and then in the blue cheese) Seafood Almondine made from McFarland’s recipe, cauliflower in cheese sauce with a crumb crust,home baked dinner rolls baked in a pan greased with butter flavor Crisco, key lime cheese cake made from Luedi’s recipe that has a crust made of ground almonds. All these are of course made from heart healthy recipes, NOT. It probably will be my final meal because I’ll probably have a heart attack after eating it but it beats dying of anything else I can think of. The only time I’ve eaten Yorkshire pudding was in Ireland and they either did a bad job of it or it’s way over rated. It was like a tough dinner roll with no insides with brown gravy over it, the beef and the potatoes, as in swimming in it. It was not nasty, just very ordinary. Now I’m thinking if you all like it that much, something must have been wrong with what I ate because I can easily never eat it again and die happy. What I would like to add to my menu or put on my last lunch menu is lobster salad served in that funny bun that looks like a hot dog bun with a slit in the top. LOL We don’t have that bun in the grocery stores here. Can you tell I don’t ever get enough sea food living in Kansas?

32. Kelly says:

Karen, to your meal of roast beef, crab and all the fixings, I would also like to add sautéed mushrooms in butter and garlic. Oh, and an appetizer of homemade mac and cheese with bacon.

33. Sherri says:

My choices for a favorite meal in winter are likely different than what I would choose in the summer months so please ask that question again in July. For winter—my mom’s meatloaf recipe (it’s so moist!); baked potato & butter; green salad with shredded cheddar, pineapple chunks and sweet dressing, green beans sauteed with diced bacon; and for dessert, the best bread pudding in the world. I might have to wait a few hours to eat the bread pudding after all those other goodies though.

34. AmieM says:

Red Duck Curry, with Tom Yum soup to start, and creme brulee to finish. The dessert doesn’t quite go, but I love me some duck, and I love red curry, and tom yum soup is my food for my soul.

35. Barbie says:

I have ALWAYS wanted to learn how to make a good yorkshire pudding! I even had someone (a Brit…when we lived in the UK) actually try to teach me how…..using the drippings and all that….I have NEVER been able to repeat that process…perhaps it is because it has been WAAAAY to long ago now….could you do a post on how to? Yours looks mouth watering! I would probably make it the same day! LOL I love and agree on your last meal choice….especially about the meat being the least important part! and I could eat mashed potatoes until I explode! and dressing too!
    However my favorite meal would have to be homemade spagetti….and garlic bread……but I would have to somehow incorporate guacamole into that….since avocados is the one thing I would choose to have to eat for the rest of my life if stranded on a island somewhere….if could only have one thing. I have long stated this, and I would just be a hypocrite if I didn’t say so! LOL

36. Cindy says:

I play this game with my grown children, around the dinner table, when everyone is being “too quiet”. It’s your last meal, being executed tomorrow, you can have anything and everything you love for your last dinner…. what’s on your plate? They think I’m demented, but we always end up laughing. Especially since I’ve now opened it up to… being executed tomorrow… what music do you want played, who would you like to be at the event (living or dead), what would you wear….?
    Anyway, my list includes my mom’s fried chicken (best ever), chocolate mousse, a few Cheetos, roasted brussell sprouts with cranberries & balsalmic vinegar, seafood alfredo, steamed shrimp with Old Bay, Utz potato chips (the regular variety), creamy mashed potatoes, fresh corn on the cob, the beautiful center of a rare cooked melt in your mouth steak…. that’s my start.

37. Kathe says:

I know I am gonna catch flack for my last meal. Beef liver and sauteed onions with a side of spinach and home style fried potatoes. Drooling as I type this!

38. Susan says:

Dungeness crab enchilada (corn tortilla, lotsa sauce & cheesy), spaghetti, soft buttery garlic bread, Dungeness crab……mmmmmmmmmmmmmm shrimp, lobster, pork sausage, link sausage, bacon, more crab and more bacon, et al…………

39. Carole McGinnis says:

Veggie pizza with extra sauce and chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. I wish I could say a healthy salad and fruit – ha, ha.

40. BGrigg says:

If I have to eat it every day? Roast beef, horseradish, Yorkshire, gravy, mashed potatoes, and I mash carrots in with my turnip. Though I would suspect I would want to kill myself after a couple of months.

And there are plenty of recipes on stuffing roast beef. Google is your friend!

Broccoli casserole? Yuck! Broccoli should only be eaten raw, and I prefer the stalks to the tops. I suspect that broccoli casserole will be one of the “True Casseroles” in a future post?

41. Renee says:

Cranberry-glazed roast duck, garlic-roasted fingerling potatoes with shaved parmesan atop, sauteed brussel sprouts and baby carrots, and a rhubarb ‘pie’,…using the term loosely,…with whipped cream for dessert. Yummy!