Would you like to come and meet me?

I write for the Lee Valley Newsletter.  If you aren’t familiar with  Lee Valley I’m not sure how you ended up in a place like this, but I’ll explain it for you.

Lee Valley is like the Disney World for anyone who likes to do anything.  Actually, if you’re a lump who doesn’t have a single interest in the world, even you would like Lee Valley.  Lee Valley is like the retail version of me.  They carry all the best, most useful, interesting and odd items you’d ever need for gardening, cooking, woodworking and life in general.  Need the best little pressed glass cupboard knobs?  Lee Valley.  Yes. I own em.

I also own their push mower, knife sharpener, U Digger, brix tester, planters and a bunch of other stuff I can’t remember because it’s just a part of my life.  I love Lee Valley.  Always have.

So a couple of years ago when they called and asked if I’d like to write an article for their newsletter I screamed I LOVE LEE VALLEY!!!  Only I didn’t really scream it because it was in an email.  I did however say yes, and I’ve been writing articles for them pretty much every month since then.

I bet you’re wondering how this all leads to coming to meet me?

A couple of months ago Lee Valley told me they were opening a brand new store in Kingston, Ontario.  And they wanted me to be there for it.  Would I come and do a couple of workshops for them and meet people in the store.

You BET.

Title

But the fun doesn’t end there.  I’m going to be giving away some of my Art of Doing Stuff cleaver tea towels, bookmarks and a sharing some of my favourite Thanksgiving recipe tricks.

I’ll be showing you how to make a Thanksgiving themed table runner that revolves all around the harvest.  Once I show you what to do, you should be able to go home and make this table runner yourself for about $25.

And did I mention that the workshop is free?  I think I mentioned that.  There are 2 workshops.  Both will be exactly the same, it’s only the times that are different.

I’m really, really hoping that some of you that are within driving distance of Kingston will come by because you all know me but I never get the chance to talk to you.  The reader who comes from the furthest distance gets a tea towel!

As you know I don’t ever promote or talk about things I don’t actually use and love.  Lee Valley is no different. I’ve been a fan of theirs for years and I’m genuinely excited to give this workshop during the opening of their newest store.

1. Ed Karch says:

I will be there a bit late.

2. Anesha Deweese says:

Sorry I missed it. Well… I just found ya and ecstatic that I did. I am all about Art and stuff that needs doing! I’m shouting from the hills of colorful bluegrass Kentucky. From reading previous post….sounds like you need to go on tour! Hehe
    Just letting ya know how I appreciate your humor your talent and your joy of sharing!

3. Brenda says:

You love to meet you! Maybe Lee Valley could send you across the country doing workshops. Starting in the east coast of course!

4. Janet says:

I love Lee Valley! I just told a client of mine yesterday about their catalog because they were looking for parts of a caster for their chair and they couldn’t find anything at Home Depot or our other local hardware stores. I told them to get their Lee Valley catalogs, I love reading them with a glass of wine. Would love to meet you, Sarasota, Florida is a bit far when you have flying fear! Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder if Lee Valley has something for that…I wonder if they have a pharmacy catalog, otherwise I would be there in a heartbeat!

5. Sabrina says:

Darn it, Karen! I was so excited when I read Kingston, Ontario – only to realise I will be up North for a mandatory field lab. Literally the only day I cannot come. Oh, well.

6. Kerri Green says:

I am beyond excited about this. I will be there with bells on (well not literally).

I’ll give you a tea towel if you come with actual bells on. 😉 I’m excited I’ll finally get to meet some readers. ~ karen!

7. Cindy says:

I’m 2 hours away and I’m in and out of Kingston all the time to visit my parents. I’ve been a Lee Valley super fan since Leonard quit the feds and started selling stove parts. I’ll be there! (god willing and the creek don’t rise.) My sister in Nanaimo is going to be soooo jealous. Maybe there’s a seat sale on…

That’s exciting! Make sure you come up to me and tell me you’re the one with the sister in Nanaimo. ~ k!

• Buffy Barrett says:

I’m the sister in Nanaimo! And YES . . . so jealous. Karen , Lee Valley and my sister all wrapped into one — I can’t contain myself! Jealous but SOOOOOO excited for you sis!

• Cindy says:

If I get my hands on a tea towel (which I’ve been coveting lo these many months), Santa may swipe it for your stocking! Cause I love you that much.

8. Kitten Caboodle says:

I’d never heard of Lee Valley here in the States. I just went to the website and had a look around. 20 minutes and $80 later, Christmas is coming early to my house. They sell the most ingenious tree stakes that you can mow over. Brilliant!

9. Kent says:

I’d love to drop by and meet you! And I am driving distance too!… It just takes about a week from Vancouver. : (

10. kelli says:

RATS. Dallas is a little far. Even for one of your tea towels. Maybe you could do a whirlwind tour of the States, eh?

11. Elen G says:

Yeah. Lee Valley is our crack. We’ve sent them so many customers. I’ve written a blog post or two. 😀 I should be on the road at that time, but it sounds like it will be fun. Yay! Another Lee Valley.

12. Kathy W says:

4 hrs. For me…maybe…do I need to register?

HI Kathy W. Nope, no need to register. At first they were going to have me in a small workshop room with limited seats, but now I’m out in the middle of the store so anyone can show up. No limit. 🙂 ~ karen!

13. Sue says:

Afraid it;s too long a trip from North Carolina, but thanks for turning me on to Lee Valley. Had never heard of them, but now waiting for my catalogs to arrive.

14. Kimberly says:

34 hours to meet you. Tempting, I must say. ?

15. Jan in Waterdown says:

And I meant to say that I did meet you one day in the store maybe 8 years ago. I was the cashier that day and recognized your sweet face from tv. Mike Holmes was in one day too and I recognized his sweet *** from tv!
    Oh dear, did I just post that? Hah!

16. Jan in Waterdown says:

Former LVT employee here. It’s fun to run into my former customers at Home Depot or wherever . . . we look at each other and then say “Lee Valley?” and smile knowingly. Hubbie gives woodworking seminars at various LVT stores. I think he secretly wept when I “retired”. Have fun @ the Kingston store Karen!

17. Nancy Blue Moon says:

Have fun young lady…wish I could be there…

18. Catherine Manning says:

I had the sharpest, coolest garden knife ever from Lee Valley, and my garden ate it. Seriously, last year i placed it down near my lavender and have SCOURED the garden ever since… 🙁 Quick question about the push lawnmower you mentioned in the post – recommend it? Our electric is nearing its end, and our lawn is decent-sized but not huge at all – is it light and effective, as they claim? Thanks – wish I could make it to Kingston!!

19. Caroline Bedard says:

Wahhhh! I LOVE Lee Valley. (Sorry for yelling.) I’d love to see you at a Lee Valley store! I can’t travel to Canada from California just to do that, though. My husband would not understand.
    When my kids were at UofT and I flew up to help them move in or out of housing, I went to Lee Valley Hardware every chance I got. It’s one of my happy places. I know I can order online, and it’s easier than most online shopping between the US and Canada. But I love to spend time there, admiring everything.

20. Daphne says:

If I didn’t have to fly for 10 hours…. But if anyone feels the need to buy me a ticket I will make sure I’m there. 😉

21. Melissa in NC says:

Switzerland meeting my grandson, Oliver! Have a blast. I’m sure you will have a great turn out.

22. Melissa in NC says:

Would love to meet you and mame the harvest runner but I am in

23. Sue says:

Hmmm. I hope you send this response thread to the Lee Valley folks! (love them!!)

How about trying to set something up with them to do the San Francisco and Seattle Garden shows?

24. MARILYN JOHNSON says:

From Alabama also! (Auburn) Would love to meet and share! Dag gum!

25. Mary Kay says:

DANG! I need to get a passport.

26. Mireille says:

ehrmygod. I was already excited to go to the opening, but now I’ll get to go twice in a week and see you to boot! Thank you for coming Karen, can’t wait!

27. Shawna Greyling says:

I will be there with bells on! My office is 2 minutes away from the store. So looking forward to meeting you! Can you bring Cuddles?

28. Ruth says:

Here’s the thing… Lee Valley sounds just like a US-based store we have over here, and – can you believe it? – it’s in Kingston too…. Kingston, Jamaica.

True Value in Kingston, Jamaica… and I live within driving distance, but you prefer to stay with Lee Valley in Kingston, Ontario. That’s okay. I’m a big girl. I can take it. *goes off in search of chips*

29. Cussot says:

I just bought a tiffin at the Ottawa Lee Valley – it has already been on two camping trips. It didn’t occur to me until I was in the field that I could use the stacking containers as pots on my camp stove. Worked wonderfully.

And Ottawa is Disney World for real, of course, what with Lee Valley right down the street from an enormous Ikea. But have fun in Kingston!

30. Tigersmom says:

I love Lee Valley and I have those knobs on the upper cabinets in my kitchen.

I can’t make the trip, but I implore you to please use all your powers of persuasion to convince Lee Valley that the next store they open should be in Dallas.

31. Rosanne says:

Will it be recorded and put on their/your site for those who can’t make it?