Old Fashioned Baked Beans
Old fashioned baked beans go well with any grilled meat and especially salty pork products.
- 454 grams dry beans white pea (navy) beans
- water enough to cover beans
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 2 tsps cider vinegar
- 1/4 lb bacon or salt pork
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- pinch black pepper
Soak the beans overnight in water.
The next morning heat the beans to boiling and simmer for around 30 minutes. If the skin of the bean peels back when you blow on it the beans are done.
Drain the beans and SAVE the bean water.
Mix all of the sauce ingredients together and mix in the cooked beans. Put everything in a bean pot.
Add enough of the reserved bean water to the bean pot to cover the beans by 1/2".
Add bacon or salt pork to top of beans, cover and bake at 250 F for 7 hours.
Remove lid and continue to cook uncovered for 2 hours to help the beans develop a dark brown colour.
Serve with grilled meats as a side dish or on toast for a lunch.
Remove from oven and remove bacon or salt pork. If you like your beans with some meat chop it up and mix it into the beans. I prefer to remove the pork entirely and just use it for the flavour and smokiness it infuses in the beans while cooking.
- To eliminate the overnight soak, you can boil the beans for longer during their initial cook in water. Instead of simmering for 30 minutes, simmer for (apx) 90 minutes.
- If you're vegan or vegetarian and want to eliminate the bacon then double the amount of smoked paprika from 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp.
- TO COOK BAKED BEANS IN THE INSTANT POT (bleh) 1. Add your dried beans to the Instant Pot with enough water to cover them quite well. Cook on high for 25 minutes. They might be perfectly done or they might be overdone and mushy. It depends on the bean. And that's why I don't like the Instant Pot. 2. Drain the beans and return them to the Instant Pot. Add all of the other ingredients and cook on high for 10 minutes.
Calories: 2522kcal | Carbohydrates: 405g | Protein: 118g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 5449mg | Potassium: 7376mg | Fiber: 113g | Sugar: 134g | Vitamin A: 615IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 904mg | Iron: 30.1mg