You’re Never Going to Believe It. Turns out it WAS Meant To Be.

So here’s a funny story.  If you’ve been reading along for the past few weeks you know the whole devastation I suffered over losing a perfect, vintage, replica Eames recliner.  If you haven’t read that tale yet, do so first.  We all wait here.

That chair will haunt me for the rest of my days and it’s the second thing to haunt  me from the Christie Antique show.  The first was a painting of a somewhat miserable looking elderly woman on a black background.

It’s a lesson in shopping.  If you get the butterflies in your belly, just buy it.  In a month you won’t worry about the money and in a year you won’t even remember how much it cost. It’s also a lesson in whether or not the saying “It wasn’t meant to be” is true or not.

I mean, that’s what everyone was saying to me after I went back to buy my chair only to find out it had been sold.

“It wasn’t meant to be.”

“You’ll find a better one.”

“It wasn’t meant to be yours.”

WHERE WAS THIS SUPPOSED CHAIR THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE MEANT FOR ME??  I  mean, ACK!

I’ve had alerts on Craiglist, Google, Ebay, Kijiji and Chairish for the past 3 years to notify me if my dream chair surfaces for sale anywhere.

It did once. A Plycraft replica of the Eames chair with a built in footrest.  The holy grail of iconic, mid century, moulded plywood, reclining chairs based on the Eames original … with a twist.  It showed up in Rochester, New York for around $400. I called the seller immediately, told her it was worth more than than that and offered her $600. I set up a time the next morning for me to make the roughly 3 hour drive across the border.  Then of course there would be 3 hours of driving back.

She called me the next morning and left a message saying she had lots of interest in the chair and she wanted me to give her my highest offer on it.  I said no.  What if I made my 3 hour drive and she told me someone else had offered even more money?  What if I got there and she already sold it?  I wasn’t getting into some bidding war with someone who had proven they’d go back on their word.

Since then my notifications have only brought in some sad looking fakes and a couple of people who saw my post on wanting the Plycraft recliner with built in footrest thinking I’d be willing to pay anything for it.  I am not. I’m willing to pay a fair price.

Then a couple of weeks ago,  just a few days after the Christie Antique show situation I got a notification.  There was an Eames replica lounge chair and ottoman for sale.  It was just in Toronto, an hour away. I clicked on the email to take a closer look a the chair.

It was the same style as the chair I saw at Christie’s.

It was the same colour.  The same condition. The same price.

It was the same chair.  I shit you not.

I looked like I’ve been drugged. Don’t I look like I’ve been drugged?

It turns out the guy who bought the chair got it home and decided it was too small for him.  After a few back and forth emails about the hilarity of him selling the chair from Christie’s and me mourning the loss of the chair at Christie’s he not only sold it to me, he delivered it.

I am the size of a very large groundhog, so the chair fits me perfectly.

It is easily the most perfect vintage replica I have ever seen.  The proportions and size are the exact same as the original Eames (which is much smaller than most replicas). The finishes are the same, as is the construction.

Notice the green crocodile suitcases I bought at the show as a consolation prize for losing my chair. They go well with it.

The only dead giveaway that this is a copy is the fact that it’s upholstered in dark brown, not black leather.

There’s only one problem with the chair.  Now I have to redo my entire living room around it.  I wish I could say I’m just joking but I’m not.

These are the things I still like in my living room.  My saddle and saddle stand, the white painted canvas, my lucite table with wood under it.  The end.

So I don’t need to change much else.  Just new rugs, a new coffee table, another chair, a new couch, a side table and artwork.

I’ve already put notifications on Craigslist, Ebay, Chairish and Kijiji.

As he was leaving, Serge, who sold me the chair,  looked back at it in my living a room and said, “You know I thought after so many years of searching that this chair was meant for me but now I understand t was meant for you.  Enjoy it.”

I will.  Just as soon as I replace every other piece of furniture in my living room. Ack.

Maybe this chair wasn’t meant for me.  Double Ack.

Since I saw Frasier lounging in it looking smart and superior I\'ve wanted the classic Eames lounge chair. Then I didn\'t want it because it was so popular. Then I wanted it again. It was the classic Elizabeth Taylor Richard Burton relationship. Here\'s how we finally found each other.

1. Kelli says:

In the immortal words of Etta James: AAAT LAAAST… 🙂 Congratulations! What Serge said to you was really very sweet.

2. Catrina says:

Love!

3. Cyd says:

Chair schmair! You buried the lead. YOU BOUGHT THE SPLENDID GREEN SUITCASES! Well done, you! It all looks fab and you are now officially my spirit animal.

Cheers!

–Cyd

Oh! LOL. The green suitcases were revealed as one of my purchases in a post a few days after the original Christie’s post. 🙂 ~ karen!

4. Wendy says:

The universe LOVES you! Best wishes on the next round of aquiring!

5. Meg says:

YAY!!! so much fun.
    🙂

6. SusanR says:

I’m so happy for you that your dream of having that chair has come true! Oddly enough, I had a feeling when I read the Christie’s post that you were going to end up with the chair, anyway, but I thought the original buyer would back out, and the Christie’s seller would contact you to see if you were still interested. The middleman got cut out in reality. Considering how small you are, I can see where the chair would have been too small for a man. I’m so glad it came back around to you. You absolutely look like it was made for you!

7. Yes it WAS meant for you! And I’m so envious ~ I backed out of attending the Christie show this year (I always like the spring one best), but hmmm… hidden treasures lurk!

8. Elizabeth says:

im so freaking happy for you, and the rest of us! can’t wait to see what this next reno looks like!

9. shoshana leeder says:

I am so happy for you!!!!!!!! And, it looksperfect! And yes, you do look drugged but who cares you’ve got your chair. Shoshana

10. Michelle says:

I love this story! You look gorgeous in that chair!

I will take that compliment and cherish it because I am currently covered in cat hair wearing mismatched socks. ~ karen!

11. Jennifer says:

Maybe not the entire rm, maybe a small accent piece on the coffee table- bonsai type tree? Sort of retro wood

I don’t know everything about decorating but I’m pretty sure a bonsai tree isn’t going to have the power to pull this room together, lol. It’s not so much about trying to find something that’s mid century modern … it’s more about the scale of the rest of the pieces in the room and the textures. 🙂 ~ karen!

12. Judy DeLacy says:

I’m so glad you acquired your dream chair.

Before passing away in 2009, my neighbor was Sam Maloof. He was a well-known woodworker, even having pieces of furniture in the White House as well as the Smithsonian Museum. On his web-site, there’s a recliner/rocker that sort of reminds me of your Eames chair.

I’ve been to Maloof’s studio several times and seeing his work in person was breathtaking. In his home, there’s a huge staircase that’s truly unbelievable, as well as all the doors with unique handles. Also bathroom items…even toilet seats. Every room was filled with furniture he made from the time he took a bride and set up a home. Regards ~ Judy

13. Kelli says:

Oh Karen! You crack me up! How many times are you going to redo your living room?? Everything I have is “early assorted” style. I don’t put things together real well. Your style is perfect. I don’t know how you find the time, energy, or money! Kudos on your new chair!

This will be time #3 in 20 years so that’s not too bad really. 🙂 The last time was around 10 years ago? Something like that. And to answer your other question, I am running outttttt of energy, lol. ~ karen!

14. y says:

What a fantastic story!! It looks like it was made for you. I was never a big fan of them, but looking at you in it…. crap. Now I want one. So excited for you!

15. Carol Hogan says:

I’ve come to believe that things turn out the way they should be.

16. Rktrixy says:

We need to know more about this Serge, aka the Chair Fairy-godfather. How is it he came to love that chair, too? Now that he doesn’t have it, what is he sitting in? What is he looking for to replace it. Perhaps a setee? I suggest a furniture swap!

17. Bonnie G. says:

Talk about serendipity….. then there’s Serge! This could be the impetus to a Russian spy novel (sans the current US political climate). That chair is definitely in it’s correct home. Enjoy!

18. Bev says:

What a great story and such a beautiful chair. It really was meant to be.
    Love your smile on your face. Happiness is a new chair.

19. Maryanne says:

Congratulations!! You look fantastic and comfortable in it. It was meant to be 🙂

20. Sonja says:

Yippee!
    good for you!

21. Leeuna says:

I’m so happy you finally got your chair. And you look beautiful sitting in it. How very nice of Serge to bring it to you. You Canadians are such nice people!

22. Mary W says:

Congrats and I love brown more than black. Oh – and you looked terrific sitting in it!

23. Brenda says:

Love it! It was meant to be after all. And I can see why you are crazy in love with the chair.

24. Kimberly M says:

What a beautiful love story!