Stumped
How to Make a Tree Stump Table

Before I sold everything I owned and painted my whole house white I couldn’t buy a decorating magazine.   Why you ask?  I couldn’t put any of those nice things in my house.  It’d look stupid.  I’d look stupid.  My house would look stupid.  No matter how you looked at it, everything led to stupid.

I found most of the stuff in my house at garage sales or at the side of the road so the latest doo-dad from Fancy Store just wasn’t going to fit in.   A lace doily and a bowl of Scotch Mints?  They would fit in.  See here for proof.

So anything featured in a decorating magazine dated anything later than September of 1840 wasn’t exactly going to blend.

When I finally painted and redecorated my house, I bought some magazines.  And I started filling my house up again on a minimal (non-existent) budget.  When I saw a tree stump table teetering on stainless steel legs in Canada’s House and Home magazine, I thought “I’m gonna make me one of those”.  For free.  Yay for free furniture!

Crap.  That’s what got me into trouble with my house in the first place.  Decorating it with things I had found at the side of the road.   However, this free thing didn’t require that I scrape dried up earthworms off it, so it was bound to work out better.

I got me a stump and I made me a table.  And you can too.

stump-table-with-cleo

Materials:

*  Tree stump

*  Sandpaper (medium and fine grit)

*  Polyurethane (high gloss, semi-gloss, satin … whichever you want)  I used satin which has just a nice sheen

*  Paint brush

*  1 package of 4 Capita legs from Ikea (I used 6”)  $19.99

Drill and appropriate bits

Since I already have a tree stump table, (the one I made when I redid my house) for this post I had to make another.  So when I went to order my fireplace wood I told the old guy who runs the business I needed a stump to make a table out of.  He dragged me to the back of the woodpile and pointed to a huge walnut log.  He said that’s your table.

He got out his chainsaw and eyeballed a perfectly level cut.  The stump table had begun.

He threw it in my trunk and I took it home.

I don’t care how you get your stump … just get one.

That is step number 1.  Get a stump.

Your legs will be 6 inches high, so figure out how tall your stump needs to be for where you want to put it.

My stump is 15″ across by 18″ high to bring it to the just below the arm of my couch.

Allow your stump to dry out for at least a month.  It’ll lose several pounds and the bark will loosen, making step 2 easier!

Coincidentally if you allow yourself to dry out for a month you’ll lose several pounds too.

You can dry the stump outside for a couple of months, then bring it inside for a couple of weeks.

If your stump was already cut and dried from wherever you got it, you can just bring it inside for a couple of weeks.

Now the work begins.  You have to remove the bark.  Sometimes this is easy, sometimes it isn’t.

The first stump table I made was from Oak. The bark just pulled off with my hands.

The second stump table I made was from Walnut.  The bark was a nightmare to remove.  I needed an array of tools, a swear jar and my boyfriend.

To remove the stump’s bark, you’ll need these tools to do it:

A Hammer

A Prybar

After your stump has dried inside for a couple of weeks insert the prybar between the bark and the stump.

Hammer it enough to loosen the wood.

Then either keep hammering or pull the bark loose with your fingers.

Keep doing this all the way around the stump until all the bark is off.

And yes, you do need to remove the bark.  If you don’t, over time it’ll loosen and fall off on it’s own leaving you with a cruddy looking piece of crud as a table.

If the bark is particularly stubborn, like this stupid thing was … do the same thing but with wood chisels.

They’re sharper and will cut through the fibres between the bark and the stump better than a prybar.

Be careful  not to hack into the wood with the chisel though.

Now your stump is cleaned of its bark.

plain-stump

When it’s dried out the stump might split a bit like this.

That’s O.K.  It adds character.

The stump now needs to be sanded to get all the little hairs and slivers off it.

You need a smooth stump.

Use a variety of sandpaper grits.

Get rid of all the hairs.

Sand until you can run your hand over the stump and it feels smooth.

Once your stump is smooth wipe over it with a damp, lint free cloth or a tack cloth.

A lot of wood dust will come off.

Now flip your stump over and get ready for the fun part.

carrying-stump

Get your pre-purchased legs.

Mine are the Capital legs from Ikea.

Each leg comes with a bracket that you screw into the base of your table.

Place your legs on the underside of your stump.

You can use all 4 legs or just 3.  I’m partial to 3, but 4 is definitely more stable.

Use a measuring tape to make sure they’re an equal distance apart.

Once you have the legs positioned, mark the holes in the plates with either a pencil or a marker.

Remove the legs and fit your drill with the appropriate sized drill bit.

Drill holes at the spots you marked for the screws.

Once all your holes are predrilled, place your legs and brackets back on and screw them into place.

To make my life easier, I put all my screws into a little dish.  Don’t question it.  Just do it.

Now all your legs are on!

Now it’s time to finish the table.

If there are any sections where you accidentally took too much of the wood off you can skim over it with some stain.

I have a whack of different cans of stain so I picked the one I thought would match the best.

Appropriately, it was “Walnut” stain.

Just wipe it onto the light portion of your wood with some paper towel.

It just darkens it up enough to make it blend in a little better.

There will still be a colour variation, just not quite as distinct.

The staining is a matter of choice.

On my first stump table I didn’t do it … on this one I did.

Let your stain soak in and dry.

Then get some of this  …

… and one of these.

If you’re using an oil based finish use a natural bristle brush.

Seal the whole stump.

Sides … (that’s a fast moving cat in the background by the way)

… and top

The top of the stump will get really dark, but it’ll lighten up once the finish sinks in and dries.

After your first coat dries gently sand off any burrs and bumps.

Remember … just sand lightly.

The sanding will leave the finish with a white haze.  Don’t worry about it.

It’ll go away once you apply another coat of finish.

Speaking of which … your stump will need another 2 or 3 coats around the sides.

Plus it’ll need a total of around 6 coats on the top.  Because of the open grain, the finish soaks into the top a lot more and requires more coats.

Always let your finish dry the recommended amount of time in between coats.

Once you’ve completed all coats of finish you can admire a thing of beauty.

stump-table

the-original-tree-stump-table-tutorial

The only drawback to this table?  Not a single dried earthworm on it.  Plus, everyone who sees it is going to ask you to make them one.  Now, thanks to me, you can just direct them to this website and tell them to make their own.

This one by the way … went to my niece for Christmas.  Yes, the niece who famously chucks things.  She’s the chucker.  This finished stump table weighs close to 70 pounds.  So good luck chuckin’ that little niece.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some decorating magazines to peruse.

1. Michael says:

Hi Karen-

This is a great post! I’ve been looking for clear directions on how to do this for some time. I have a stump that’s been drying outside for over a month, and all the bark has come off naturally. My only concern now is whether any small insects have gotten inside. Do you know a good method for sealing the stump, or does the stain cover that issue as well?

Thanks,
    Michael

2. Trudi Johnson says:

I added your project to pinterest (a project searchable site). Hope that’s all right! 🙂

Trudi – Of course that’s fine. I love Pinterest. It’s a great resource, and I get all kinds of hits from it. Thx. ~ karen

3. My Duong says:

I just got a pine log thats full of the gooey stuff, it has been outside for 2 months, but doesnt seem to dry at all, please help, Im dying to make this table … Thank you for your time!

My Duong – Your pine stump may take a year to dry out. Sap/resin/gooey stuff from things like pine or spruce is super sticky and tends to stay that way. It’d probably be quicker to go find yourself an Oak stump. 🙁 Sorry. ~ karen

4. Mel says:

I looked for ages for dried wood on farms to make these tables or they can be seats…it is very hard to find..best to find a farmer who has trees down then take your saw out and chop it up or pay him to chop it up. Takes a while to dry out properly. They do look awesome and thanks for sharing your tutorial. Im one step further along my path to making them now.:-)

5. Manav says:

Hey!

Love what you did with the stump. My wife and I have wanted to make one for so long but never came across any stumps. We almost gave up until the other day when we’re walking on our block and a tree removal service was at a house, so we picked up a stump and brought it home.

I’m curious though, how closely do we have to stick to the drying timeline. It’s mostly because we’re impatient and want to get our end table finally ready, but also we don’t want to make any mistakes. We’ve had the stump in our apt. for a week or so now, and we’re wondering how much longer we have to wait.

Hope you can help.

Thanks,
    Manav

Manav – Glad you like the stump! I know what the impatience of waiting for it to dry out feels like, but if you plan on sealing it with the bark off, you really need to let it dry out. If the bark doesn’t come off fairly easily, it isn’t dry enough yet. You can carefully try to remove the bark with a little chisel and hammer. If it pulls away fairly easily you’re good to go. Even AFTER removing the bark you should leave the stump for another week to let the bit under the bark dry out. I know it’s hard, but try to leave it as long as possible for the best result. You don’t want to be putting any kind of Polyurethane or other treatment onto wet wood because it won’t cure properly. Good luck! ~ karen

6. lak says:

Hi Karen

I loved your instructions on how to make the end table with a stump.My husband just got a huge stump that he found on the side of the road (hurt his back a little!!)..i am going to follow your instructions..
    Also in your video there is a round white orb next to the lamp..where did you find that? is it a lamp shade too??
    thanks a lot
    Lak

7. Emily says:

Let me first of all say thank you for being the one who lead me to obsess over DIY projects. I’ve been wanting to go out and buy myself one of these stump side tables for quite some time. However, I WILL NOT spend $400 on a piece of furniture that I can make myself, for $15. Two weeks ago I stopped by an orchard/far on my way home from a weekend away and low and behold, they had a pile of de-barked, already dried out stumps! So, by the time I got it home, All I had to do was plane one side so it was level. I didn’t want to stain it either because the sun discolored it in a way that made it look awesome so I just applied several coats of clear finish and I’m done! Thanks Karen!

8. Chelsea says:

I have been wanting these stump tables since I saw them last year at LL Beans (a popular store here in Maine) but they were $200 a piece and it just wasn’t going to fit the budget. Thank you so much for the step by step so I can finally make them for myself!

9. Bill says:

Hello Karen and thx for this nice tutorial 🙂 I just returned from a weekend vacation in the countryside having a big stump in the back of my car that my wife thought it would become a nice table. It is about 40cm tall and 50 cm diameter (yep..my back is still in pain) and comes from a fresh cut fir tree. How much time should I leave it to dry? Should I first remove the bark and leave it to dry after? Fir wood seems juicy has a strong smell and it is first time I try to do such a project. More details about “fir stump table” will be great help and much appreciated x-)
    Greetings from Greece,
    Bill

Hi Bill from Greece 🙂 – I think if you re-read the tutorial you’ll find most of the answers you’re looking for. The bark won’t easily come off the stump unless it has already dried out for a month or so. Each type of tree has a different type of bark. Some remove easily (oak) and some are difficult to remove (walnut). I’ve never done a fir tree so I’m not sure how the bark will react. If you try and chisel it off now and it isn’t ready to come off, you risk marking the sides of the stump underneath. Just tuck the stump away for a month or so and revisit it then. : ) ~ karen

10. Arran says:

Hi, Karen. I found this article shortly after finding a stump. Your instructions were very helpful, but I do have one question. How did you get all the bugs out? The stump I found had tons of rolly pollies, centipedes, and possibly termites in it. I live in Seattle, so putting it outside to dry/debug it wouldn’t be effective, as it would just get more damp. Should I just look for another stump, preferably one that is pre-dried, or is there any way to salvage the big stump I found?

Thanks so much!

Hi Arran – Termites I’m not familiar with. We don’t seem to have a problem with them here in Southern Ontario. If the stump is old and rotting a bit, and that’s why there are bugs in it, I’d get rid of it. If it’s just got the odd bug on it just drop the stump straight down a few times to knock the bugs off. If you’re still worried about it (and you may be opposed to this) you can put the stump in a garbage bag, spray bug killer in it and then tie it up. Leave it for a day. Untie the bag and leave the stump outside to air out for a day or two. Good luck. ~ karen!

11. Laura says:

Hi Karen

Loved the tutorial so much I made my wedding cake table with a huge stump from my wood pile. Its about 3ft tall and in the shape of a funky star.It must weigh an easy 300 pounds I love it. Wish I could post pictures!

12. Inga says:

Hi karen – great site! I noticed you mentioned being from Southern Ontario. Where did you get your wood from? That would be my first place to start 🙂

Inga – All you have to do is go to any place around you that sells firewood and buy a stump off them. 2 of my stumps I actually found at the side of the road after neighbours had a tree cut down. Just keep your eyes peeled and you’ll find one! ~ karen

• Inga – in Toronto there are a lot of Norway Maple trees being taken down because they’re near the end of their useful life. If you live in (or drive through) neighbourhoods that were built in the 40’s, eventually you’ll see the tree service guys cutting down the old, sick trees. Sad for the city, good for the DIY’ers!

13. John says:

This site was so very helpful Karen! I’ve just made one using some redwood, has come out a beautiful colour, however when the council was cutting some trees in my area ( melbourne, Australia) one side was not a straight cut, the hours and effort I put in to cut that straight myself was almost not worth the effort!
    Fantastic website
    Cheers
    John

Thanks John! I just finished watching the finale of Masterchef Australia. Not that you watch it simply because you’re from Australia, but I felt compelled to tell you anyway. 🙂 (one of my readers was a contestant) ~ karen!

14. John says:

I have seen this series, who was the contestant?

Her name is Shannon. She had a website called Bake n’ Bloom, but she’s let it go by the wayside now as she gets her new site up and running. She lied to me and said she’d been away from my site for months because she had mono. Turns out she didn’t have mono … she was stuck in the Masterchef house and couldn’t tell anyone, LOL! ~ karen

15. Gabriella says:

Love this

16. Great idea!

I’m surprised that a handy Canadian like yourself didn’t put the damn Philips screws into the metal recycling and pull out some Robertsons.

One of my first tasks with Ikea projects is go to the shop and find Robbie screws that match in width and length and ditch the included fasteners.

17. Anna says:

Hello – Love the stump – just wondering if it would be appropriate to hollow out a bit of the inner stump to make it lighter to carry (from the bottom of course). Would this cause any adverse effects?

Anna – I can’t see any reason why that wouldn’t be possible, but it’d be pretty hard to hollow out part of the inside of the stump and I’m afraid it wouldn’t make much of a difference in the weight. Once the stump dries out it weighs less. I’m 5′ 3″ and 105 pounds and I could manage it just fine. It’s not like you’re going to be lugging it around the ouse every day. 🙂 If all else fails, just make your stump shorter, as opposed to hollowing it out. ~ karen!

18. Beth says:

I am totally doing this! I have 6 stumps in the backyard that have been drying all summer! I am pulling a few in before it starts raining.

I love castors, I might put this thing on castors then roll it all over my house! wheee!

Thanks for the great tutorial!

Beth! Ooooo! I love castors too! I have a bunch of antique ones in my basement with wooden wheels. If I can find 3 or 4 that match I’m totally doing that! Good thinkin’. ~ karen!

19. sameera says:

I loveee how youve done this and i just had a huge tree cut down in the summer, and stumps all over my backyard. Finally i know what im doing with them! I just have one question, How can we make them shiny and smooth like these?

Sameera – My stump is smooth like that. You just need to give a bit of a rub with sandpaper if there are any rough bits, but there shouldn’t be. To get the shinier, glossy look all you have to do is use a high gloss Polyurethane (or sealant of your choice). ~ karen!

20. Cathy says:

I just made 2 of these tables and they turned out amazingly well! I needed help from my husband as they were quite heavy to move, and he helped with the power sanding. Used the Ikea legs…they added that modern touch. These 2 tables are gifts, but am going to make one for myself next. Can you explain the whitewash technique?

21. karen says:

hey Karen,

I am a photographer. You should sell these. They would sell. Trust me!

Oh, and a question….forgive me as I know nothing about tree stumps….but are bugs ever an issue?

Blessings to you and thank you for sharing!
    Karen

Karen – Bugs haven’t been an issue for me but if you’re worried about it you can spray the stump with bug spray and put it in a plastic bag for a few days. I just bash the stump on the sidewalk until bugs stop flying out of it, LOL. ~ karen!

22. Beth says:

Just made my first first one! It was EASY the way you described it – thanks you so much! I had 5 camphor tree stumps in my back yard all summer, so when I saw this post I was soooooo happy! Many thanks!

23. Cori says:

These are awesome, and entertaining, instructions. I want to make a floor to ceiling tree in a bedroom and this is perfect! Thanks for the awesome tutorial and pictures with it.

• Melissa says:

Cori, if you do that, will you please please post it somewhere as a tutorial (like Karen does)? We have lots of wood and are trying to find cool ways to bring them into our decor. I’m a big believer in learning tips from others before embark-ing (get it, haha) on my own ventures. 😀

24. Jenni says:

Karen,
    I want to thank you for thoroughly entertaining me with your article! I laughed many times and also thanks to you have a new project to try out.
    Thanks again,
    Jenni

25. Ickis McGee says:

Karen,
    I’ve snagged myself two stumps that have been drying in the garage a couple of weeks. They are about 28inch circumference by 16inch high. I have no idea how long they sat out by the side of the road, but the bark all came off with relative ease. How will I know when they’re dry enough?
    Also they have some soft spots; are those detrimental? Seems like I could just sand through them.
    (btw, yes I did have a he’ll of a time getting them in/out of the SUV by myself)

Ickis – I’m not sure what you mean by soft spots. It could mean that the tree is rotting, which wouldn’t make for the best tree stump table. 🙁 If it doesn’t seem throughout and just a bit on the surface you might be O.K. You’ll know when the stump is ready to go when you see a bit of cracking. Bring it inside the house and weigh it if you can. Then leave it in the house where it’ll dry out faster. Weigh it again in a few days and you’ll be surprised at how much lighter it is just from drying out inside. I’d give it a week or so inside and then you can start on it. Good luck! ~ karen

26. Ickis McGee says:

Karen,
    Thanks for the quick reply. Yea, I think the soft spots are a little bit of rot but it’s definitely only on the surface. These things are SOLID. The big one still weighs an easy 100lbs. I guess I still have a while to wait.
    I forgot to ask earlier, one has a very uneven side (I guess where they cut an angle to fell the tree. What tool do you recommend to even that off if not a chainsaw. If a chainsaw, do you have any tips? (I know chainsaw is not your favorite tool).

Ickis – The only way to cut it is with a chainsaw. And cutting perfectly straight is really tough. You’re best to get someone skilled w/ a chainsaw to do it for you. ~ karen

27. Paul C says:

This is great. I’m going to make one of these bad boys!

I’ve made another since this post! Actually, didn’t really have to do anything. The second one I left unfinished with no legs. Sits in a corner with a fern on it. Good luck! ~ karen

28. this is so incredibly cool! i need to find myself a bit of trunk now! 🙂 lisa

29. nadine says:

It’s very nice ! I like it

30. Carl says:

I just took down a couple of trees in the yard and have too much wood sitting around, great idea on how to use it up. I think the plant stand is also a tremendous idea. Hot project by a hot woman….lol

31. heather says:

sorry i didnt read all the comment so idk if it was asked but – OMG i LOVE that freakin chair – the stump is awesome too – but i want that chair!! how please??

32. Steve Perfetto says:

Karen,you should let people know there is a outdoor mimwax as well as indoor.Also old wire reels,like the ones used by construction people,make good tables also.Also a saw mill,or someone with a portable saw mill would be a good source for larger pieces to make coffee tables and such,they usually don’t keep the slab wood for anything anyway.

33. Sacha says:

Hi Karen– I was able to get some stumps, however they aren’t all even. Do you know where i can bring my stumps to get them evened out? Thanks for the advice!

34. patti says:

Wow…love the stump table!!…I’m def making one…I see that you have a blue orb in your living room photo (with all your roadside/sale finds)…Just love your antique mirror over the mantel!
    Take care,
    patti

35. Emily says:

Hi!! I love the stump table and am thinking about making one myself. One question… what about bugs? Have you had a problem with the stump being infested with any kind of house guests?

Hi Emily. Nope. No bugs. Well, a few but those got knocked off prior to making the table. Just rap it on the ground a few times and anyone living in there will wander off quickly. ~ karen

36. debbie says:

hi karen-

just stumbled onto your site. thanks for all the awesome project ideas.

quick question: is it possible to keep the bark on the tree and treat it in a way that preserves the bark look?

Hi Debbie – Well, depending on the tree the bark will fall off anyway. It dries up and falls off. You might be able to achieve this look with Birch. OR you could just bring the stump in, put legs on it and not bother with varnishing it. Either way … :)~ karen!

37. jeryl says:

Hi…I have a pine stump that I want to make into a table. It weighs prolly 150 lbs. I have put casters on the bottom so i can roll it around. Why is it necessary to take the beautiful bark off? Will a pinetree stump have to much sap if I took the bark off?

Jeryl – Yes, there could be sap from a pine stump. The reason, however, that you take the bark off is because it’s going to come off eventually anyway. As the wood dries over time the stump shrinks as does the bark, creating a gap in between the bark and the stump. So it just … falls off all on its own. If you want, you can try not finishing the stump and leaving the bark on. It might last for a month with the bark sticking, maybe a year … but it will eventually fall right off. 🙁 ~ karen!

38. Marcy says:

I have been thinking about doing one of these tables for years. Today I decided to see if anyone else has been thing about it too. Thank you for doing all the research for me. It will make my job of making one (several) more fun.

39. Nancy says:

Your directions were informative and fun!! Love this project!!

40. Mary says:

thank you great idea and growing I still want to do more with these.

41. Lisa says:

Dear Karen,
    I picked up a stump on the side of the road about a week ago with the idea of making this table (yep, West Elm got me thinking too!) Today, I came across a piece of driftwood at the lake, stump sized, PRE-SANDED a la REAL SAND! All I need now is the stain and sealant. The first stump will now be a mother’s day gift for my mom! Thanks for these postings, you’re a total bad-a$$ and inspiration!

42. Kelly says:

I enjoyed your tutorial and learned a lot, so thank you. I have a chucker in my family too…I bet she will want a stump table after she sees mine;-)

43. Dawna says:

Sooooo, I’ve been wanting to do this forEVER! I had my boyfreidn get me a gigantor stump… it’s like 3 feet wide… I’m going to make a coffee table… Boyfriend says its not allowed in the house… Won’t he be suprised when he comes back from Vegas and it’s sitting in all its stumpy glory in the living room! Thanks for the step-by-step… Hopefully this doesn’t cause a domestic… 😀

44. Mike says:

A 3″ slice of that burl just to the left of your lumberjack would make a way nicer table. I like yours too though.

Mike – I wouldn’t necessarily say it was nicer … just different. And definitely too large for most people to be able to tuck almost anywhere. Thanks though. ~ k!

45. Matt S says:

Saw your project a few months back and it suddenly opened my eyes to the giant tree branch that fell down in my yard during a freak intense snowstorm 7 months back. 2 months ago I cut two tables out of the branches (both thick as a stump) and stripped the bark. Now that I’ve sanded them and attached the legs I’m wondering how much longer I should let them dry out.

They are both still slowly cracking but nothing drastic and I’m growing impatient about finishing the project. What’s the worst case scenario, I just need to apply some more stains to any cracks that may form?

Also I came across an interesting issue when I cut my logs. As I mentioned they sat out in my yard for a few months and when I cut them up I found that some carpenter ants moved into one of the stumps. Actually didn’t notice until I brought the log inside and noticed an unusual amount of ants suddenly crawling around the closet where I left them to dry. To remedy the situation I first applied a liberal amount of carpenter ant spray into the larger holes at the top of the log, so much that it actually pooled up inside. Quickly the ants evacuated the holes which I disposed of. After which I flipped over the log to let the excess fluid run out.

Afterward I chipped out as much of the eaten wood as I could with a chisel and used shrink wrap to wrap the log and cut off any air holes. Over the next few days I noticed a few survivors popping up under the shrink wrapped and took care of them as well. After a week I felt the problem was taken care of and I filled in all the holes with hard drying wood filler, sanded it down, and flipped it over so the “inhabited” section would be at the bottom of the table. Now a month later I haven’t noticed any visitors and I have a clean and beautiful log as a table. Just felt that info may help any others that run into a similar problem with this project.

46. Hi Karen,
    My name is Dallas and my wife sent me a link to your stump table. Very cool! I make furniture and home decor from old vintage materials as a hobby. Check out my website if you want you can pirate some ideas. http://www.originalvintageart.com (still being built but it has quite a few pics on it)I am making two bar stools for some friends out of two big beautiful Cedar stumps. the wood is amazing but is taking forever to dry. any ideas? also I have access to a large oven used for powder coating do you think it would hurt the wood to bake it some? maybe that would speed up the drying process? Would love to hear your thoughts. thanks

47. Iya says:

Thanks for this. My mom has been keeping 3 stumps for 20 years and just left them as is with the bark and all. I’ll be applying your turorial on those three babies and will use them in my house.

48. Domico says:

Thank you so much for posting this! I found a few pine tree stump in my neighbourhood and knew what I wanted but didn’t know how. Thanks!

49. Wilson says:

I found my stump! Problem is I found its kinda big and heavy haha I am not sure if I picked one up which is too big.

No such thing. Don’t worry about it. Just let it dry out. ~ karen!

• Wilson says:

I hope so because I moved two of them back to my house this evening and each of them weigh about 50 lbs or so. I hope they will become much lighter after they get dry out!

Feel free to have a look on the stump that I picked up this evening.
        Have a look and see if you consider this is too big or not. Cheers

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like a good stump to me. Good knots in it that’ll show up well and the bump where a branch was. I’d say it’s a good stump indeed. Generally around 18″ high is good. ~ karen